Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [oned] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:

Hi Ian, thank you so much for all the help, your contributions in this forum are amazing.

I am looking to upgrade to the speedmax CFR.

I am currently riding a speedmax CF Disc size S.

My Current dimensions:
Saddle height: 688mm
Pad X: 460mm
Pad Y: 635mm

My height: 173cm
Inner leg length: 78cm
Forearm length: 35cm

Please help me with the CFR components sizes. And also should I get the flatbar or risebar?

Many thanks in advance!

Oned,
You are welcome. I truely enjoy this opportunity to help folks get on the right bike.

I'm struggeling with this a bit. Your legs are pretty long for your height and that is was keeps the ratio of pad height (635) and cockpit distance (460) something of a challenge. Your only option for a CFR is a size small. And with that size small you will have very little seat post exposed (no big deal, but I want it known because for some it's an aesethic thing), and you'll need the long stem and you'll need to push the pads foward to the max - and the mid spacer. It'll work. It's a little more extreme than I like but you could use a Rad Sport thing to get a longer cockpit if you needed it (and more aerobar tilt than the Canyon bits provide if you want that too). Becasue of the mid spacer - I would say get the flat base bar.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian.

Thank you so much for your help.
I think what you meant is that I have a pretty short legs for my height.
Unfortunately yes 😓😅

Could you please help, which length of aerobar extension should I get? I was thinking of the medium one, but I'm not sure how to measure it correctly. My forearm length is 35cm.

Many thanks in advance.

Oned

Last edited by: oned: Sep 30, 23 21:17
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [oned] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oned,
medium extension for sure.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [NS89] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian

Well first off thank you for making such an awesome thread.
Secondly, I wish I had found this sooner.
Unfortunately I already ordered my canyon speedmax, but wondering if I got the right one now after reading through this thread.
I got a Speedmax CF Disc this week in size Medium. I spoke to someone at canyon because I wanted to be sure the medium was correct for me and they assured me it is. I don't have X/Y numbers but I do have some others

Height - 176cm
Inseam - 81cm
Height and inseam were done barefoot, not sure if I'm supposed to wear my shoes for those measurements.
Forearm - 35cm
Upper Arm - 25.5cm

Thanks in advance

Edit... had to triple check my measurements with help to be sure
Last edit lol... Am I missing something when looking at the geometry chart of the CF 7 thats currently offered on their site?
For medium it says:
-armpad stack (I assumed this is Pad Y): 581-691
-armpad reach (assumed this is Pad X): 408-461.
After reading extensively through this thread I would assume I'm somewhere around Y-610-650 and X~430? did they change the geometry on the CF 7 recently?

NS89,
You're welcome, I'm happy to help.
Based on your morphology I think your Pad Y is roughly 640 and your Pad X is ~450. Medium could work as could the small. I like the idea of the front end (bars, arm pads, aero extensions) being lower than propped way up so that leads me to lean towards the medium but... you've ordered already so let the bike come, set it up, ride it a couple of times to tweak if need be. You'll probably love it and if not exchange for the small.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
oned,
medium extension for sure.

Ian

Thank you Ian, really appreciate it ðŸ™
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

Is there a way to add more stack to a ‘19/‘20 Speedmax CF SLX 8.0 (like longer risers)? Thanks in advance.

--------------------------------------------------------

It seemed like a good idea at the time. . .
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [type-B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian,

Is there a way to add more stack to a ‘19/‘20 Speedmax CF SLX 8.0 (like longer risers)? Thanks in advance.

typeB -
Just to be super clear on the bike we're discussing - it's got rim brakes. That's the true "fork in the road" when we're discussing the original SLX and today's version. The rim brake bike was a long and low bike. And for many of us we needed to shorten the cockpit and raise the pads to make it work. The largest nubmer of stock, Canyon spacers that could be fit in to pedestal the aerobars was/is 55mm. But you could eek out a few more with two after market items - one was called the "high stack flat spring" (terrible name) there's no spring invovled but it lifted the pads another 7+mm and made the pads a tiny bit wider. Also an item called a "team switch plate" could move the pads longer (who could possibly need that?) and was typically used to shorter the cockpit beyond the max - I bring this up because it can add another 3mm to the whole shebang.

the thing outlined in red is the high stack flat spring

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, Ian. Ok, I think I’m about maxed out then. I ended up with a large (I’m 6’4â€) based on 10 year old fit coordinates. I’ve already swapped in the long stem and have the pads forward as far as possible. I also have PD angled wedges which probably raise the pads about that.

ST won’t let me upload a pic though :-(

--------------------------------------------------------

It seemed like a good idea at the time. . .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Ian,

Currently have a CF7 size M,

Saddle height 761
PadX = 430
PadY = 655
(all measured to the back of the pad))
Height 179 , Inseam 84

been fitted about 2 yrs ago, lately noticed that I want the front end to be just bit further forward. - aerobar extensions are currently extended to the max and also elbows are mostly resting on the front part of the pads.

Looking to get an SLX , i'm guessing M as well or L ?

Many thanks in advance!
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [SikaMika] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hey Ian,

Currently have a CF7 size M,

Saddle height 761
PadX = 430
PadY = 655
(all measured to the back of the pad))
Height 179 , Inseam 84

been fitted about 2 yrs ago, lately noticed that I want the front end to be just bit further forward. - aerobar extensions are currently extended to the max and also elbows are mostly resting on the front part of the pads.

Looking to get an SLX , i'm guessing M as well or L ?

SikaMika,
I'm all for you upgrading to an SLX and I'm fully willing to prescribe but we need to explore my confusion first with the numbers/experience here.

Pad Y of 655 and Pad X of 430 on a disc break CF with the stock 80mm stem... the pad range on that bike should be ~415-495 and you're at 430. You should be able to move the pads forward 6+ centimeters!!! That would sovle the "elbows are mostly resting on the front part of the pads" thing. So, questions are these...
1) if you carefully lift the velcro pads off and remove the screws are able to move the pads farther forward?
2) Are you giving me 655/430 from a fit but then tweaked the positon over time and are somewhere else now?
3) Can you re-measure where you are now and let me know for sure.. use the guide in this video and get back to me here

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for getting back so quickly!

yeah I measured pad positions initially as per your video, I guess a picture worth a thousand words here,
Bottom bracket:

Pad:

The wall is straight, and the ruler is horizontal, stem is original - V21 80mm, frame is M (reach 410 stack 535), not sure if the site info it correct after all, as they list the same ranges 416-915 for both CF8 and CF7 regardless of the differences in cockpits.

Cheers!
Last edited by: SikaMika: Oct 14, 23 3:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Ian,
Thanks for your recommendation the fitter in Chicago Anne Barnes-she was very thorough and knowledgeable.

My new fit measurements for planned speedmax CFR purchase is

Height 72 inches
Inseam 34 in

Pad stack 705
Pad reach 465
Saddle height 806 at -4 cm setback
Pad width 230
Crank length 155.0

Currently riding a 2009 carvelo P2 56cm which I have been told by 2 fitters is too small a frame for me.
It looks like large fits the recent coordinates the best. Does that sound right? Any modifications needed? Thanks

Bob
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

First off, thank you for your generosity in helping members with fit advice.

I'm looking at a SLX as my first tri bike. Here are my numbers.

Height: 182cm
Inseam: 86cm
Excellent hip mobility

Previous bike was a 2020 Giant Propel, size ML. I don't have actual pad X pad Y etc numbers since the bike is sold. The best I can offer is an estimate based on measuring various old photos of the bike using an online measuring tool. So take these numbers with a grain of salt.

Pad X: 470-480mm
Pad Y: 650-660mm
Saddle Height: 780mm
With this fit, I felt I could have moved the pads back slightly as my arm angle was 105 degrees and felt a little stretched.

Thanks for the advice.
Last edited by: TriguyRy: Oct 22, 23 6:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

SikaMika,

Well, you measured perfectly. Thanks for confirming.

For a new SLX the size is Meidum with the short stem, mid spacer and medium extensions. You'll have a lot of room to move your pads forward and extensions out (Pad X of 440 and well beyond).

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

Would really appreciate any help you could give me in relation to a new Medium Speedmax CFR i have ordered but not yet confirmed.

Brief back ground, I am 53 and was riding an Argon 19 a few years ago which had quite an aggressive set up but it gave me neck issues (no lower back issues). For the last two years I have been riding a Cervelo P series and have had no neck issues but have a lower back nerve issue which flares up about 30km into every race I do (70.3 and full IM's). Both bikes were set up by local bike fitters and have had two different bike fitters review the Cervello but haven't been able to resolve the lower back issues. The current bike fit is quite conservative in terms of the drop and think this may actually contribute to the lower back issue. The Cervello is a 56cm and the Argon was a large but the Canyon site suggested a medium based on my measurements.

Current set up details:

Saddle height - 741mm
Pad X - 447mm
Pad Y - 692mm

The drop (saddle to aero bar) on my Argon 19 was around 80mm lower and 20mm shorter.

My measurements:

Height - 181.3cm
Internal leg height - 86.2cm
Forearm length - 35.5cm

Thanks in advance.
kind regards
Murray Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [waynetri12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hello Ian,
Thanks for your recommendation the fitter in Chicago Anne Barnes-she was very thorough and knowledgeable.

My new fit measurements for planned speedmax CFR purchase is

Height 72 inches
Inseam 34 in

Pad stack 705
Pad reach 465
Saddle height 806 at -4 cm setback
Pad width 230
Crank length 155.0

Currently riding a 2009 carvelo P2 56cm which I have been told by 2 fitters is too small a frame for me.
It looks like large fits the recent coordinates the best. Does that sound right? Any modifications needed? Thanks

Bob,
I"m so glad you went to see Anne. She's one of the best!!!

Canyon Speedmax CFR size Large with short stem, mid spacer, medium extension (that's how they ship in the USA by the way - if you had pedals handy, you could be on this bike about 20min after the box arrived at your door!!).

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi I want a road bike to race but can't find anything that fits.

The Canyon ultimate looks close in Xl (75.5 inch tall, 37 inseam), but there don't seem to be stems to adjust with?

Are you able to help?
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [TriguyRy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Hi Ian,

Excellent hip mobility
Previous bike was a 2020 Giant Propel, size ML. I don't have actual pad X pad Y etc numbers since the bike is sold. The best I can offer is an estimate based on measuring various old photos of the bike using an online measuring tool. So take these numbers with a grain of salt.
With this fit, I felt I could have moved the pads back slightly as my arm angle was 105 degrees and felt a little stretched.

TriguyRy,
I think your X/Y guesses are really good. I'm going to prescribe off of a Pad Y of 650 and Pad X of 470. You, like so many, can fit on two sizes of the Canyon Speedmax. I'll detail both and share my opinion.
1) size medium - long stem, mid spacer, meidum extension
2) size large - short stem, low spacer, medium extension

There are so many things to consider so let me start with the simplest - if you're in the USA I think you should get the large simply because the bike ships with everything you need stock and I'm not 100% sure you can get parts to expand on the medium. If you're ordering from Europe and can select the bits within the order process then... hmmm, it's a toss up, I'd prolly get the medium as you can order the bike built with the long stem and I like the aesthetic of a taller post. If you're in the USA and you want (or can only get) the meidum then you can consider obtaining the RadSport thang to get the longer cockpit out of the short stem.
There are bosses behind the seat post in which one could mount a Canyon oem water bottle holder. This will not be an option on the large as the post will be in the frame a bit and lower boss will be covered.

Get back to me if you have questions or if I've made the whole process worse by giving you too many options.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [mjbruce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian,

Would really appreciate any help you could give me in relation to a new Medium Speedmax CFR i have ordered but not yet confirmed.

Brief back ground, I am 53 and was riding an Argon 19 a few years ago which had quite an aggressive set up but it gave me neck issues (no lower back issues). For the last two years I have been riding a Cervelo P series and have had no neck issues but have a lower back nerve issue which flares up about 30km into every race I do (70.3 and full IM's). Both bikes were set up by local bike fitters and have had two different bike fitters review the Cervello but haven't been able to resolve the lower back issues. The current bike fit is quite conservative in terms of the drop and think this may actually contribute to the lower back issue. The Cervello is a 56cm and the Argon was a large but the Canyon site suggested a medium based on my measurements.

Current set up details:

Saddle height - 741mm
Pad X - 447mm
Pad Y - 692mm

The drop (saddle to aero bar) on my Argon 19 was around 80mm lower and 20mm shorter.

My measurements:

Height - 181.3cm
Internal leg height - 86.2cm
Forearm length - 35.5cm

Murray,
If I were to limit my answer to just prescribing out a Speedmax CFR based on 692/447 with a seat height of 741 (is there a typo in there?) then I have to say this. It has to be a medium, the large can't deliver on that seat height (741). The medium will be great on seat height, great on the Pad X (short stem, medium extension) and 100% maxed out on the Pad Y with high spacer. In fact I think the Y on the medium is topped out at 690 but, as you said, you were riding at a Pad Y of 612 (really? 80mm lower?) which the medium can get to with ease.

If you had come in with "here's my height, never on a tri bike before wadaya got?" I would have guessed a Pad Y of 640ish and a Pad X of 460 so.... we're still in the same zip code.

The medium is the right size and I think you'll find your fit on this with some experimentation between the range of Y the front end has to offer.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [stevie g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi I want a road bike to race but can't find anything that fits.

The Canyon ultimate looks close in Xl (75.5 inch tall, 37 inseam), but there don't seem to be stems to adjust with?

Are you able to help?

stevie g,
This thread is about the Canyon Speedmax but I like people and I love bikes so I'm always willing to help pair 'em up. You have hit on a definative problem of our time. Essentially what we're talking about is the three steps to buying a bike that'll fit.

1) You're tall (6'3"+) and based on that alone we'd say you're a 61cm frame or a 60 or a 62 somewhere in that area. Some bikes today use t-shirt sizes so that would probably be an XL.

2) We know we can get the seat to meet you on pretty much any bike that's in the neighborhood of being right for you because those seat posts can slide in and out a long way and it's quick/easy to do. Same can be said for the set-back of the saddle.

3) You've got long legs (37" inseam) so the bike can't be too long or low (ie. "Reach" & "Stack" respectively in the geometry chart). I don't want you to struggle with a super short stem and lots 'o spacers to make up for a long and low bike. AND finally getting the bars to meet you is beeatch if you've got a OEM, one-piece, molded "cockpit" rather than an old school, seperate stem and bar combo.

So... pretty much every bike maker now makes a bike that's geometry is long and low and another road race model that has shorter and taller geometry. Canyon makes both the Ultimate and Aeroad where the XL has a Stack of 606mm and Reach of 419. The Endurace, on the other hand, in size XL has a Stack of 637 (36mm higher) and a Reach of 405 (14mm shorter).

I think you should look closely at an Endurace in the size XL. Also, if you choose any SLX model you'll get sexy wheels in the deal but you'll also have a cockpit. If you choose a CF 6, 7, or 8 you'll have more modest wheels and you'll have a "mortal" (read: normal) stem that you can swap out to make the cockpit distance and bar elevation perfect for you.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Last edited by: ianpeace: Oct 26, 23 9:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:

Quote:

Hi Ian,

Excellent hip mobility

TriguyRy,
I think your X/Y guesses are really good. I'm going to prescribe off of a Pad Y of 650 and Pad X of 470. You, like so many, can fit on two sizes of the Canyon Speedmax. I'll detail both and share my opinion.
1) size medium - long stem, mid spacer, meidum extension
2) size large - short stem, low spacer, medium extension

There are so many things to consider so let me start with the simplest - if you're in the USA I think you should get the large simply because the bike ships with everything you need stock and I'm not 100% sure you can get parts to expand on the medium. If you're ordering from Europe and can select the bits within the order process then... hmmm, it's a toss up, I'd prolly get the medium as you can order the bike built with the long stem and I like the aesthetic of a taller post. If you're in the USA and you want (or can only get) the meidum then you can consider obtaining the RadSport thang to get the longer cockpit out of the short stem.
There are bosses behind the seat post in which one could mount a Canyon oem water bottle holder. This will not be an option on the large as the post will be in the frame a bit and lower boss will be covered.

Get back to me if you have questions or if I've made the whole process worse by giving you too many options.

Ian

Thanks so much Ian. I am in Canada so the bike would be coming from Germany. Sounds like the medium is the best option.

I also wanted to get your thoughts on the riser basebar option. I am considering the riser option simply for more comfort when not riding aero, say a more casual ride or easy recovery ride (no road bike.....yet). Is there anything else I should consider when deciding between the flat vs riser basebar?
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [TriguyRy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian!

Thanks so much for your help!

Height: 67 in
Inseam: 28.5 in
Armpad reach: 445mm
Armpad stack: 624mm
Saddle: 681mm

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slightly off-topic, but potentially you would know: are there any size differences in the CF SLX models, apart from frame and extensions? Simple case: you have a bike in size L, but you break a frame and buy a replacement frame S (e.g. for your gf). Would this work?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Thanks so much Ian. I am in Canada so the bike would be coming from Germany. Sounds like the medium is the best option.

I also wanted to get your thoughts on the riser basebar option. I am considering the riser option simply for more comfort when not riding aero, say a more casual ride or easy recovery ride (no road bike.....yet). Is there anything else I should consider when deciding between the flat vs riser basebar?

You're going to use the mid spacer on the meidum so I'd get the flat base bar - the distance from aero to pursuit won't be that far.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [Michal_CH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Slightly off-topic, but potentially you would know: are there any size differences in the CF SLX models, apart from frame and extensions? Simple case: you have a bike in size L, but you break a frame and buy a replacement frame S (e.g. for your gf). Would this work?

Michal_CH,
Okay, just so I get the question... you've got a size large Speedmax SLX, some freak circumstance occurs and you buy a size small and move all the parts over to it. I think all those bits that would matter are the same: post shape and size, hub spacing, BB shell, brake caliper mounts, etc. etc. I think that's standard across the SLX size line.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply

Prev Next