Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) e [habbywall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian, first of all, thank you so much for your help rendered to this forum and thread, I really appreciate your help!

I am looking to upgrade to the speedmax CFR.

I am currently riding a speedmax cf slx rim brake in size S, i've installed a sync ergo cockpit 0.2 ecosystem with 15 degree angled wedge.

Here are my fitted dimensions:
Saddle height: 758
Pad X: 405
Pad Y: 634 (though my fitter has recommended i can prolly go up higher a cm or 2 to optimise my position more (i can post a photo of my recent position in race if you would like to take a look)

Additional qn: I unds that the default angled spacer maxes out at 6 degrees, is there anyway i can stack multiple angled spacers to achieve a steeper angle without having to spend money on eg a rad sport spacer?

Many thanks in advance!
Last edited by: frozzberg: Sep 4, 23 6:39
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ian,

saturday was new bike day and now it’s getting serious with the setting.

Of course i will try to get a professional fitting asap but in this time i will try to get a solid start setup with the dates you gave to me earlier.
So i have the Pad reach and stack .. do you also have a recommendation for the saddle setback to start with ? It is the original Fizik saddle from 2021.
Do I need something else ?
Thank you very much !
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [Malle457] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

I am also contemplating a new Speedmax SLX. I currently ride a rim brake CF SL, but with a totally custom cockpit.

I'm mostly happy on it, but would like the ability to play with going lower and perhaps a touch longer but I'm out of options with my current setup

Measurements off that are:
Stack: 595mm to the back of the (angled) pad, 605mm to the center.
Reach: 460mm to back, 500mm to center.
Saddle: 715mm

From what I can see, a small will fit the stack fine, but I'll be 20+mm short on reach out of the box.

thoughts?

Many thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [Allthingsequal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian,

Considering buying my first tri bike and these are my measurements:

Length 172
Inseam 85
Saddle height 77.1
Pad reach 43.0
Pad stack 63.5
(Stack and reach measured to the back of the pads)
Crank length 165

Allthingsequal,
If you were to get the Speedmax SLX (or CFR) then you could fit on either the Medium or the Small and I think there's an argument to be made that the Medium is slightly a better match. Get it with the short stem, mid spacer, and medium extensions (all stock when ordering in the USA).

If you were to get the Speedmax CF then it's only the Small. It comes with the 70mm stem that comes on it. You'll need about 23mm of "up" to get the Pads at that 635 mark.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [Wassim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian,
I'm about to pull the trigger on a Speedmax CF 7. I'm 6'1 with a 34" inseam.
Canyon is putting me on a Medium. Just wanted to confirm it was the right size
What would be your guess on Pad X & Pad Y based on my measurements.
Is Pad Y measured to the back or center of the Pads?
Thank you very much for all the assistance you provide in here

Wassim,
Happy to confirm... you're pretty leggy, I'd say your Pad Y is ~665 and Pad X is around 480 (Y is measured to the top of the pad - I think it's good to measure it to the back because some riders are using lots of tilt and so we need a fixed spot. It's the X that has to be measured at the back of the pad for Canyon figurin'. Some bikes are still measuring to the middle of the pad for X and that's not my prefered spot but can math back if need be).

The Medium Speedmax CF is the right bike for you. I'll come with an 80mm stem and that set you up a bit forward of middle of the range and with lots of room to move fore/aft to find your spot. My guess of 665 is nearly dead-center of the pad height range and it's very easy to move up/down with the bolt/spacer combos that come with the bike.

You're good to go.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) e [frozzberg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Hi Ian, first of all, thank you so much for your help rendered to this forum and thread, I really appreciate your help!

I am currently riding a speedmax cf slx rim brake in size S, i've installed a sync ergo cockpit 0.2 ecosystem with 15 degree angled wedge.
Pad Y: 634 (though my fitter has recommended i can prolly go up higher a cm or 2 to optimise my position more (i can post a photo of my recent position in race if you would like to take a look)

Additional qn: I unds that the default angled spacer maxes out at 6 degrees, is there anyway i can stack multiple angled spacers to achieve a steeper angle without having to spend money on eg a rad sport spacer?

Many thanks in advance!

frozzberg,
The right size Speedmax CFR for you is also a Small - with the short stem, medium extension, and you'll be able to use the mid spacer to get your current Y of 634 and up to 644, to go above 644 you'll likley use the high spacer but the wedge might have you stay with the mid spacer. Now, let's discuss that. There are two wedges in the box, one is 3 degrees and one is 6 degress. I'm one of those guys who just grabs stuff and rips it apart and builds it up without reading instructions or warnings and such - so I built up a demo CFR that I had for a few days with both the 3 and the 6 together thinking what? more is better? I got word from Canyon HQ that doubling up is verboten, don't do it. If you want more tilt than the 6 degree wedge then I think you should go after the Rad Sport thang.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [Malle457] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Ian,

saturday was new bike day and now it’s getting serious with the setting.

Of course i will try to get a professional fitting asap but in this time i will try to get a solid start setup with the dates you gave to me earlier.
So i have the Pad reach and stack .. do you also have a recommendation for the saddle setback to start with ? It is the original Fizik saddle from 2021.
Do I need something else ?
Thank you very much !

Malle457,
Congratulations on New Bike Day. My favorite day of days!!!

Understand that I'm giving rough Pad Y/X numbers based on morphology and other odds n ends that folks will throw at me. I don't have to be exact with that because I'm just prescribing a bike and some bits that will give the customer enough range to find an optimal spot. Setback is a specific thing.

If I started wide and tried to narrow down I could say this: UCI says the saddle nose has to be at least 50mm behind a line extending straight up from the bottom bracket (BB) and USAT says you can't be any farther foward than 50mm in front of that BB line. That's a 10cm swath - which, in bike fit terms, is something akin to the Grand Canyon! Then we have the saddle length issue - you said Fizik, they make a Mistica which is prehaps the shortest, nose-less saddle other than maybe the Bi-Saddle and they also make the Arione which was once advertized as "the longest in the peloton". So that challenge us too.

If I tried to get more exact... (and I think you're talking about a Mistica)... the shorter you are (and forgive me for not paging back to find your details from our original exchange) the closer your setback will be to zero (flush with BB line) or even slighly ahead of the BB. The taller you are the farther back the nose of the saddle will be.

Lastly I can tell you this: the set back is the foundational elemet of your fit. This is a place where you're comfortable and baked-in to that 'comfort' is the optimal spot to make power. From there seat height is set, cockpit distance is set, pad elevation is set.

My advice is to either ride the trainer or out on safe roads with a multitool nearby so that you can hop off, slide the rails fore/aft a few mm and then ride under power for several minutes to judge the way that feels.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [richtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian,

I am also contemplating a new Speedmax SLX. I currently ride a rim brake CF SL, but with a totally custom cockpit.
I'm mostly happy on it, but would like the ability to play with going lower and perhaps a touch longer but I'm out of options with my current setup

Measurements off that are:
Stack: 595mm to the back of the (angled) pad, 605mm to the center.
Reach: 460mm to back, 500mm to center.
Saddle: 715mm

From what I can see, a small will fit the stack fine, but I'll be 20+mm short on reach out of the box.
thoughts?

Many thanks!

richtri,
Watch out for the gilded star with an arcing rainbow that's about to streak your way (The More you Know...)... here comes my PSA. I'm on a global mission to avoid the kind of confusion that... in 1999 caused a Nasa vehicle to crash into the surface of Mars becasue one design team was using mm and one was using inches. Stack and Reach are frame coordinates (top of head tube) while Pad Y and Pad X use the same Cartesian coordinate system but go to the back of the top of the pad. Thank you for holding on through my rant!

The right Speedmax SLX for your coordniates is a size Small. The Medium won't make your seat height. The small works great save for one issue: a Pad X of 460 is the absolute max and that's with the long stem. If, after riding the bike, you'd like even one mm more you would go out and get a thing from RadSport that will give you more cockpit distance and add more tilt than the 3 or 6 degree spacers in the Speedmax box will offer.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) e [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Quote:

Many thanks in advance!

frozzberg,
The right size Speedmax CFR for you is also a Small - with the short stem, medium extension, and you'll be able to use the mid spacer to get your current Y of 634 and up to 644, to go above 644 you'll likley use the high spacer but the wedge might have you stay with the mid spacer. Now, let's discuss that. There are two wedges in the box, one is 3 degrees and one is 6 degress. I'm one of those guys who just grabs stuff and rips it apart and builds it up without reading instructions or warnings and such - so I built up a demo CFR that I had for a few days with both the 3 and the 6 together thinking what? more is better? I got word from Canyon HQ that doubling up is verboten, don't do it. If you want more tilt than the 6 degree wedge then I think you should go after the Rad Sport thang.

Ian

Thanks for the advice Ian! Will look at the Radsport option 😆

At this fit range in a size S, will I have decent range of future adjustments if my fit evolves over time?

Lastly a slightly unrelated question, any idea what's the approximate gel storage capacity for the size S bento box? Thanks a lot!
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) e [frozzberg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ca dépend des gels! J'arrive a mettre 5 gels Maurten
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) e [Eltito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eltito wrote:
Ca dépend des gels! J'arrive a mettre 5 gels Maurten

Thanks for the info!
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:

richtri,
Watch out for the gilded star with an arcing rainbow that's about to streak your way (The More you Know...)... here comes my PSA. I'm on a global mission to avoid the kind of confusion that... in 1999 caused a Nasa vehicle to crash into the surface of Mars becasue one design team was using mm and one was using inches. Stack and Reach are frame coordinates (top of head tube) while Pad Y and Pad X use the same Cartesian coordinate system but go to the back of the top of the pad. Thank you for holding on through my rant!

The right Speedmax SLX for your coordniates is a size Small. The Medium won't make your seat height. The small works great save for one issue: a Pad X of 460 is the absolute max and that's with the long stem. If, after riding the bike, you'd like even one mm more you would go out and get a thing from RadSport that will give you more cockpit distance and add more tilt than the 3 or 6 degree spacers in the Speedmax box will offer.

Ian

Hi Ian,

Noted ;)

Ah, glad to hear that the long stem will at least hit my current coordinates. I've got more than 6degrees of tilt at the moment anyway so would need some form of aftermarket adapter for that.

Thank you very much for the advice!

rich
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ian,
I'm going to get a "pre-fit" so we can just dial it in because the numbers I gave were actually with a different position (they were with original 3T compact pads vs Revolver closed cups I have now. The front end has been adjusted since the below and best I just go get some current info on it. Thanks for confirming the frame size. I'll get the other (stem/spacer) later this week.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

just ordered a Speedmax CFR from Japan so I have the choice between some of the fit options (just like Europe). My fit is:

- height 183.5cm
- inseam 89cm

- reach (to back of pad) 465mm
- stack 610mm
- saddle height 780mm

I got a size medium with long stem (85mm), flat base bar, medium extension. The fit came from my old Cervelo P5 54cm frame which I have been riding for 11 years and it has been a great fit for me (had it once optimized by Jim from EroSports).

Any comments on the choices (I was a bit worried about long vs short stem)?

Thanks a lot,

Mike
Last edited by: mikeschuster: Sep 10, 23 17:46
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [mikeschuster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian,

just ordered a Speedmax CFR from Japan so I have the choice between some of the fit options (just like Europe). My fit is:
- height 183.5cm
- inseam 89cm
- reach (to back of pad) 465mm
- stack 610mm
- saddle height 780mm
I got a size medium with long stem (85mm), flat base bar, medium extension. The fit came from my old Cervelo P5 54cm frame which I have been riding for 11 years and it has been a great fit for me (had it once optimized by Jim from EroSports).
Any comments on the choices (I was a bit worried about long vs short stem)?
Thanks a lot,
Mike

Mike,
You nailed it. The medium CFR is right for you and all the bits are spot on: long stem, flat bar, medium extension. You'll probalby use the low spacer with a wedge for some tilt to detail the front end. Perfect!

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Last edited by: ianpeace: Sep 12, 23 12:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

I'm waiting for availability for CF SLX in Canada. Just want to make sure I'm ordering the right size. Based your Youtube instructions, my measurements are:

- Seat height: 807mm
- Pad Y: 668 mm
- Pad X 440 mm

My height is 188 cm.
Inseam is 92 cm.

I'm currently on a size Large Argon 18 E116. There is basically no for/aft adjustment for the extensions. I do feel like I am in a cramped position and could lengthen my reach quite a bit (i.e. Pad X should probably increase by 20-30mm).

I think I'm looking at a size Large, but would be grateful for any advice before I put the credit card down.

Thanks in advance for any advice/assistance.

Cheers,
Dave
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) e [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Quote:

Many thanks in advance!

frozzberg,

Ian

Hi Ian, my deepest apologies i just realised i provided u with my slightly older px and py, the correct values should be

PX: 403mm
PY: 628mm (fitter recommends i go up around a cm or 2 more)

May i check if this alters the config you've recommended previously?

Thanks again!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian!
Thanks for helping out so many of us with our Canyon fits.
I have a medium CFR which fits perfectly (thanks!),
But am hoping you can help on an upgrade. Is there a company that makes a BTA bottle holder like the one I see on Sam Laidlow or Patrick Lange’s bikes? I have asked Canyon and Profile Design and they could not help me.
I have the stock bars and mono extension which work fine. Zip ties don’t seem to work around the bar/stem.
I thought maybe you knew who might make an adapter???
Thanks
Karl

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [DRG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian,

I'm waiting for availability for CF SLX in Canada. Just want to make sure I'm ordering the right size. Based your Youtube instructions, my measurements are:
- Seat height: 807mm
- Pad Y: 668 mm
- Pad X 440 mm

My height is 188 cm.
Inseam is 92 cm.
I'm currently on a size Large Argon 18 E116. There is basically no for/aft adjustment for the extensions. I do feel like I am in a cramped position and could lengthen my reach quite a bit (i.e. Pad X should probably increase by 20-30mm).
I think I'm looking at a size Large, but would be grateful for any advice before I put the credit card down.
Thanks in advance for any advice/assistance.

Dave,
You could fit on both a Medium and a Large Speedmax SLX. I'll break 'em both down and give you my opinion.

If you got a Medium you would want the short stem, high spacer, and medium extensions. Pad X of 440 works as would Pad X of 463 and anywhere inbetween. If you wanted to get out past 463 you'd need the long stem and, of course, it's not just a "stem" on the SLX, it's a one-piece, molded, carbon base bar.

If you got a Large you would want the short stem, either the low spacer with a wedge for tilt or a slammed on a mid spacer, and medium extension. You can get the Pad X of 440 and all the way out to 483 and anywhere in between.

I really think the Large is better for several reasons - primarily because I like how the bike fits "above the waist" - there's less pedestaling going on with the Large and much more in the Medium. Also I do think you're gonna want to ride longer than 440 and the Large lets you get out there without the need to get a new piece of hardware (ie the long stem).

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Quote:

Many thanks in advance!
frozzberg,

Ian
Hi Ian, my deepest apologies i just realised i provided u with my slightly older px and py, the correct values should be

Thanks again!

frozzberg,
That's just a few mm difference and donesn't change a thing on the hardware end of things: CFR, size small, short stem, mid spacer, medium extension.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, SLX, and CF [Karl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian!
Thanks for helping out so many of us with our Canyon fits.
I have a medium CFR which fits perfectly (thanks!),
But am hoping you can help on an upgrade. Is there a company that makes a BTA bottle holder like the one I see on Sam Laidlow or Patrick Lange’s bikes? I have asked Canyon and Profile Design and they could not help me.
I have the stock bars and mono extension which work fine. Zip ties don’t seem to work around the bar/stem.
I thought maybe you knew who might make an adapter???
Thanks
Karl

Karl,
I'm glad you're loving your bike. I have zero idea what Laidlow is using for his BTA. I did find a piece online about Lange's set up and it said "3D printed riser and bottle attachment". There's a lot of custom stuff happening at that level now-a-days.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Many thanks in advance!
frozzberg,

Ian

Thanks again!

frozzberg,
That's just a few mm difference and donesn't change a thing on the hardware end of things: CFR, size small, short stem, mid spacer, medium extension.

Ian

Thanks Ian! 1 last question, at the current saddle height of 758mm, will i be able to fit canyon's seatpost bottle cage mount adaptor?

Many thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote:

Many thanks in advance!
frozzberg,

Ian

Thanks again!

frozzberg,

Ian
Thanks Ian! 1 last question, at the current saddle height of 758mm, will i be able to fit canyon's seatpost bottle cage mount adaptor?

Many thanks!

frozzberg,
Yes, you'll have both behind-the-post water bottle bosses exposed and you'll be albe to attach Canyon's cage on there.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian, thank you so much for all the help, your contributions in this forum are amazing.

I am currently riding a speedmax CF Disc size S.

My Current dimensions:
Saddle height: 688mm
Pad X: 460mm
Pad Y: 635mm

My height: 173cm
Inner leg length: 78cm
Forearm length: 35cm

Please help me with the CFR components sizes. And also should I get the flatbar or risebar?

Many thanks in advance!

Oned
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian

Well first off thank you for making such an awesome thread.

Secondly, I wish I had found this sooner.

Unfortunately I already ordered my canyon speedmax, but wondering if I got the right one now after reading through this thread.

I got a Speedmax CF Disc this week in size Medium. I spoke to someone at canyon because I wanted to be sure the medium was correct for me and they assured me it is. I don't have X/Y numbers but I do have some others

Height - 176cm
Inseam - 81cm

Height and inseam were done barefoot, not sure if I'm supposed to wear my shoes for those measurements.

Forearm - 35cm
Upper Arm - 25.5cm

Thanks in advance

Edit... had to triple check my measurements with help to be sure

Last edit lol... Am I missing something when looking at the geometry chart of the CF 7 thats currently offered on their site?
For medium it says:
-armpad stack (I assumed this is Pad Y): 581-691
-armpad reach (assumed this is Pad X): 408-461.

After reading extensively through this thread I would assume I'm somewhere around Y-610-650 and X~430? did they change the geometry on the CF 7 recently?
Last edited by: NS89: Sep 29, 23 14:24
Quote Reply

Prev Next