Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
ajthomas wrote:

If his goal was to BQ and he knew it was going to be tough, it does not sense to pace it at 7:20 when he only needed 7:55. If I presented this argument to a non-runner they likely would consider this weak evidence. A runner would consider this pretty good evidence.
You have to frame your argument to your audience. A non-runner would not understand the difference between a 7:55 and a 7:20 mile, but they would understand the difference between a 3:25 marathon and a 3:11 marathon.

Quote:
Another example: his response to qualifying was extremely inconsistent with his narcissistic personality. Some would just shrug their shoulders and say, ehh, maybe he had a lot going on in his life. To me psychological response to achievement are habitual and instinctual and there is a significantly validity in pointing out the psychological inconsistency.

This is just supposition and conjecture. It is not "evidence". "well, I think he should have acted like XXX". No one can say or extrapolate how someone should react to a given circumstance. If his run was legit (highly unlikely), he may simply have been exhausted and spent or overcome with emotion, etc.

Quote:
All of this is to say there is no such thing as objective evidence.
That is simply not true.

Psychological markers can be mapped and codified to produce strong evidence. That you think it is nonsense is exactly my point. We cannot agree what objective evidence is. And this is why the Rossi's think they can get away with it and usually fail to do so.
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
His previous race times are "objective" evidence. The lack of photos of him on course is objective evidence. His inability to provide any data consistent with his BQ time is objective evidence. (Yes, it is circumstantial evidence, but still "objective". They are facts.)

Conjecture re: behavior is certainly not objective evidence....now, if you want to get a behavioral expert to testify that his actions are consistent with someone who is perpetrating fraud, you can call that evidence, but still not "objective". A bunch of people on the interwebs interpreting his actions? Conjecture and supposition.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [Baboonator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Baboonator wrote:
Considering the character of the guy, it is vastly possible that he had planned to change clothes by the finish line (maybe handed out by his kids) so he looks good in photos and can document it extensively. Wouldn't rule that out.

At LV Marathon, he may have changed his clothing, but he hid his face under the brim of his hat when he crossed the line with an apparent BQ effort. Where is the extensive documentation you speak of form the egomaniac? There isn't any. He apparently barely mentions the run of his life in any of his social media accounts, no pictures of his medal afterwards, zero.

Also it was hot and humid during that event and there is no way you could cross the finish with a dry shirt.
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [lordhong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lordhong wrote:

He could shut everyone down with a GPS log. Just a simple log. But he's not and is proving himself guilty by doing that.

this will actually hang him, as then there will be exact times that he would have passed the photographers, whose rolls of film are time stamped, and can also be correlated to other runners' time splits.

Unless he has statements from ALL the photographers that say they all happened to go on a potty break at the exact time he passed (w/ a corresponding break in photographic coverage at that photo point), then he is better off keeping GPS data to himself.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [Burnt Toast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Burnt Toast wrote:
Baboonator wrote:
Considering the character of the guy, it is vastly possible that he had planned to change clothes by the finish line (maybe handed out by his kids) so he looks good in photos and can document it extensively. Wouldn't rule that out.

At LV Marathon, he may have changed his clothing, but he hid his face under the brim of his hat when he crossed the line with an apparent BQ effort. Where is the extensive documentation you speak of form the egomaniac? There isn't any. He apparently barely mentions the run of his life in any of his social media accounts, no pictures of his medal afterwards, zero.

Also it was hot and humid during that event and there is no way you could cross the finish with a dry shirt.

this is curious to me.... I'm guessing he actually DOES have run splits because he had someone else run the course for him, bandit with no bib. If we had those splits, we could search the photos for false negatives, ie. a runner with no bib, which I don't think Let's Run has been doing.

As for the change of clothes, how do we know he did that?

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericM40-44 wrote:
lordhong wrote:

He could shut everyone down with a GPS log. Just a simple log. But he's not and is proving himself guilty by doing that.

this will actually hang him, as then there will be exact times that he would have passed the photographers, whose rolls of film are time stamped, and can also be correlated to other runners' time splits.

Unless he has statements from ALL the photographers that say they all happened to go on a potty break at the exact time he passed (w/ a corresponding break in photographic coverage at that photo point), then he is better off keeping GPS data to himself.

Depends on the cameras. I been to races where they are automatic, and others using live video.

If he was not guilty, clearly, he would have data, as folks have stated, to show and tell folks to shut up. But silence is all the data most will need to know what he really did.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so from the lets run thread, there are cameras taking what is essentially time stamped time lapse video at known points on the course. A GPS would affix the cheater to a certain point at a certain time which can be easily referenced for his presence or lack of.

the camera thing has been exhaustively covered on Let's Run. It is actually the only real evidence that he didn't run the race.

Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [Toby Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toby Tri wrote:
Yahoo Canada asked if Rossi had any GPS logs of his training, or of his race at Lehigh Valley. He said yes, but declined to provide them for verification.

Well that is reasonable, why are we all accusing this poor man of cheating, he has GPS proof to back it up. This is a man that enjoys his privacy and would never share this sort of information on a social network.
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it's not like he purchased promoted tweets to advertise his garmin data... let's give the guy a break and leave this humble privacy-loving American alone.

chaparral wrote:
Toby Tri wrote:
Yahoo Canada asked if Rossi had any GPS logs of his training, or of his race at Lehigh Valley. He said yes, but declined to provide them for verification.

Well that is reasonable, why are we all accusing this poor man of cheating, he has GPS proof to back it up. This is a man that enjoys his privacy and would never share this sort of information on a social network.

Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
ericM40-44 wrote:
lordhong wrote:

Depends on the cameras. I been to races where they are automatic, and others using live video.

If he was not guilty, clearly, he would have data, as folks have stated, to show and tell folks to shut up. But silence is all the data most will need to know what he really did.

You really convict people based on silence? You are silent quite often, does that mean you are guilty as charged?
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericM40-44 wrote:
Burnt Toast wrote:
Baboonator wrote:

this is curious to me.... I'm guessing he actually DOES have run splits because he had someone else run the course for him, bandit with no bib. If we had those splits, we could search the photos for false negatives, ie. a runner with no bib, which I don't think Let's Run has been doing.

As for the change of clothes, how do we know he did that?

We don't know that. Some supporters or sympathizer use that for a reason his shirt and shorts were void of any sweat or wetness. I find it inconceivable that a guy can run nearly as fast as his 5k PR for 26.2 miles on a hot and humid day, wearing all black and a black hat and have no visible signs of sweating. On hot and humid days after a short run, my clothes will be completely soaked and sticking to my body (not a pretty sight I imagine), but he seems to manage crossing the line completely dry.
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
Toby Tri wrote:

Should have been PINK
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [Burnt Toast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Burnt Toast wrote:
chaparral wrote:
Toby Tri wrote:

Should have been PINK

No, his sarcasm came through loud and clear without the stupid pink font.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [TriTamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriTamp wrote:
As many runs as one has to put in for training for a marathon, he should easily be able to produce training logs showing his runs with some pretty fast days. A person attempting to qualify for Boston keeps those logs to track progress

Maybe he is zen and hasn't upgraded to a wifi enabled sun dial yet?

I know he was seen with a GPS watch and I know there is most likely damning data, but with the amount of people on this forum who claim they don't workout with gps or power or whatever since they "know their body", he doesn't HAVE to have anything ( think it does but doesn't have to)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericM40-44 wrote:

Orrrrrrrr ...
He was too hurt to run the Lehigh marathon and asked a healthy friend, who could [probably BQ it but wasn't entered], to use his bib & run it for him

Friend then realizes he's not up to it, and decides [on his own] to cheat on the course, covering his face at the finish line so he does get outed as NOT being Rossi

Later, Rossi finds out from his friend that he did get the BQ for him, but he cheated to do so

Rossi, therefore can't out his friend for cheating in Lehigh, because he'd be also saying that he had a different cheat plan in place, and his buddy went rogue on him

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This guy is 52 years old, so starting to get a little past his prime. Has anybody considered the possibility that he decided to switch to power cranks for his Lehigh Valley training? I hear the benefits for older athletes can be tremendous! So maybe, just maybe after all those "slow" pre-qualification races he got frustrated and decided to take it to the next level with power cranks.
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bet he was framed. Probably by someone who hates America and Country music. I'd look at ISIS.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
ericM40-44 wrote:

Orrrrrrrr ...
He was too hurt to run the Lehigh marathon and asked a healthy friend, who could [probably BQ it but wasn't entered], to use his bib & run it for him

Friend then realizes he's not up to it, and decides [on his own] to cheat on the course, covering his face at the finish line so he does get outed as NOT being Rossi

Later, Rossi finds out from his friend that he did get the BQ for him, but he cheated to do so

Rossi, therefore can't out his friend for cheating in Lehigh, because he'd be also saying that he had a different cheat plan in place, and his buddy went rogue on him

REALLY?

Next I suppose you'll say he was abducted by an alien spacecraft, anally probed and placed 26 miles further down the coarse. He hid his face because he was embarrassed by the probing, or possible tried to hid the smile on his face.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Burnt Toast wrote:
Next I suppose you'll say he was abducted by an alien spacecraft, anally probed and placed 26 miles further down the coarse. He hid his face because he was embarrassed by the probing, or possible tried to hid the smile on his face.

I got a giggle out of the jump to alien abduction. I've often wondered, though: If aliens have the technology to fly millions of miles to visit us, can't they come up with something better than sticking things up our asses?

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Burnt Toast wrote:
REALLY?

Nope. Not at all.

Travis R wrote:
Burnt Toast wrote:

I got a giggle out of the jump to alien abduction. I've often wondered, though: If aliens have the technology to fly millions of miles to visit us, can't they come up with something better than sticking things up our asses?

They probably could, but they get a laugh out of it doing it that way

"Look!!! I made it jump!!!"
"Betcha can't get it all the way in"
"I'd use a 4 iron on this hole"

... And so on ...

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Last edited by: RandMart: May 7, 15 9:32
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Travis R wrote:
Burnt Toast wrote:

That's outstanding!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Burnt Toast wrote:
Baboonator wrote:

It wasn't dry, he was soaked. Otherwise, carry on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree...when I was planning on running a 2:50 marathon, my 10-mile training pace would be 6 to 6:10 (if not sub 6) for a tempo run.

"Most of my heroes don't appear on no stamps"
Blog = http://extrememomentum.com|Photos = http://wheelgoodphotos.com
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [Toby Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toby Tri wrote:
From Yahoo Sports article . . .

“My race history…is not indicative of my performance level but my training does show an ability to run a sub 3:15 marathon. Many of my races were run for fun or were performed while I had documented injuries.”

While I think the guy is a cheater I can relate to race history not necessarily being indicative of performance. For example, my 5k PR is a dismal 23:00 run on Oct 4 last year. Two weeks later I ran a half in 1:37. Luckily for me I have GPS data to back it all up.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
ericM40-44 wrote:

Orrrrrrrr ...

I think you nailed it!
Quote Reply

Prev Next