Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who said anything about "the children"? Oh, right....no one. That said, I'm guessing that the next guy in line who got screwed over by Rossi cares.....

And clearly BAA suffers from having too few races that want to be a BQ race.

You wanna make the case that timing mats for smaller marathon's are overkill, I'm open to that discussion. But if you are gonna hold out your event as the pinnacle of the sport, yeah, I'm thinking you should take the extra step.

YMMV....and it seems it does.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They don't hold it out as "the pinnacle of the sport". That's your straw man. They hold it out as a great marathon one of the nations greatest, which it remains, the Mike Rossis of the world notwithstanding.

The simple fact is, it's a significant added chore for them that gives them zero benefit. In case you haven't noticed, they're not exactly hurting for runners. Boston has had cheaters since long before Rosie Ruiz and yet here it is bigger and better than ever.

Perhaps the BAA just thinks that most runners are not sociopathic enough to go to all that trouble to cheat in order to get themselves a Boston number. They must not read Slowtwitch
Last edited by: JoeO: May 6, 15 12:55
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From http://www.baa.org/...fying-standards.aspx :

"Only a certified full marathon distance will be accepted for qualifying. Distances shorter than a full marathon will not be accepted."

"The Boston Marathon does not designate which races are official Boston Qualifying events. You must contact the race directly to see if they are certified."
Last edited by: theoMop: May 6, 15 13:06
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Power13 wrote:

Fair point....it is pretty difficult and time consuming to have "You must have timed checkpoints for your race to be considered as a BQ race." in the application process.

C'mon....seriously?

Forget timing mats. All they need are a few video cameras running at various locations, and crowd sourcing here and at the letsrun forum will take care of the rest.

^^^^This.

GoPros are cheap. Most runners would like to have a video of themselves in the race. If you miss the timing mats or your finish time seems too good to be true, just point yourself out on the video and it's all good.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
I did read the entire Charlie Wenzel saga on pirate4x4 and that was entertaining as hell. :D

The funny thing is, I know what you're talking about [and I did too!!!]

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) You need to look up the definition of "srawman."

2) Seems the RD of this particular race agrees that intermediate mats are important. They are adding them for this years race.

Carry on....

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [Economist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Economist wrote:
I see the school as a separate issue. I have no problem with him pulling his kids out. I think a parents rights and decisions trump that of the school. I also have no problem with how he responded to the school.

I don't have any problem with him taking the kids. We take our kids out of school all the time for a weekend trip. Those absences are unexcused. If you (the parent) have any touch with reality, you know this in advance. We usually just get a phone call, but I wouldn't have any problem with getting a similar letter from the principal. I do have a problem with his self-absorbed response and desperate burn for more attention.
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Dilbert wrote:
I did read the entire Charlie Wenzel saga on pirate4x4 and that was entertaining as hell. :D

One of the most epic internet burn threads of all time.
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [mjdwyer23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mjdwyer23 wrote:
RandMart wrote:
Dilbert wrote:

On par with Kate's hoof thread and subsequent stalking in WoW imho ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [mjdwyer23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mjdwyer23 wrote:
RandMart wrote:
Dilbert wrote:

Name wasn't doing it for me.. but I searched yup read it way back then as well, don't think all of it though.
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [s.gentz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s.gentz wrote:
Mendeldave wrote:
Wow caught in a lie and a big one. I actually feel bad for the guy. If he did cheat (looks likely) then he's a d-bag but he's gonna really be dragged through the mud on this. I would not want to be in his shoes!

I don't feel at all bad for him. I feel bad for his family and the embarrassment he caused them! He is the epitome of the term douche canoe!!

Which felony is worse?

Cheating / faking a BQ time ...

... or working at a Country radio station?

Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.phillymag.com/...ad-mike-rossi-cheat/

Quote:
Late on Tuesday afternoon, Gerry Yasso, vice president of resource development for Via Lehigh Valley, confirmed to Philadelphia magazine that he has asked the USATF to launch a "thorough and impartial" investigation into the allegations against Rossi.

Yasso? Lehigh Valley?
Yeah, I'm willing to bet he's related to Bart Yasso in some way

And he's kinda respected by Runners, y'know

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
1) You need to look up the definition of "srawman."

2) Seems the RD of this particular race agrees that intermediate mats are important. They are adding them for this years race.

Carry on....

That's nice for that a race is adding them. I always like seeing my splits after the fact. Plus leaves the burden of results verification where it belongs. I suspect the BAA is going to soldier on without performing "mat verification". Remain stunned.
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is so great for me. I can run (PR) a 22 flat 5K. I can knock 8 more seconds off, do some distance training, and qualify for Boston. Right. Seriously, there's just no way. If I was training for a marathon, I'd be shooting for 3:45ish.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
s.gentz wrote:
Mendeldave wrote:
Wow caught in a lie and a big one. I actually feel bad for the guy. If he did cheat (looks likely) then he's a d-bag but he's gonna really be dragged through the mud on this. I would not want to be in his shoes!

I don't feel at all bad for him. I feel bad for his family and the embarrassment he caused them! He is the epitome of the term douche canoe!!

Which felony is worse?

Cheating / faking a BQ time ...

... or working at a Country radio station?

Anything 'country' is worse.

Quote | Reply
Economist wrote:
What if you had a choice between a country station and one that had Nickelback on its playlist rotation?

Less is more.
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [Economist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
His station is probably "pop" country which is even worse.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JoeO wrote:
Power13 wrote:
It is stunning to me that BAA would use a marathon that does not have intermediate timing mats as an approved qualifier for Boston.

It would be stunning to me if they did. It's Boston, not the Olympic Trials.

Mostly I suspect that the BAA is simply of the mind that the added headache of having to verify the procedures and practices of a thousand marathons out there is simply not worth the potential "cost" of an unqualified cheater getting in now and then.

FWIW, I'm pretty sure that my BQ time didn't have timing mats. or timing anythin, other than a clock. (I've qualified more than once but this was the only time that I used a BQ time to actually register for and run Boston).
But it's a tiny marathon, I don't think that there was chip anything or electric anything. It wouldn't surprise me if there was someone on the course with a pen and a clipboard, though I don't specifically remember.

I do think that for little races like that, they lose something if they aren't Boston qualifiers. But then, they are easy to cheat at. So someone loses out somehow...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Dilbert wrote:

assuming that's the guy who claimed something was new when it wasn't and then the whole community figured out who he was and where he lived? even i know about that and i'm an effete urban public transit and bike commute guy. but yeah, that was a funny and epic thread.
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
From page 34 or something...

4. No visible sweat in finish line photo (especially considered in combination with #1, with someone running the hardest race of their life) [this was later refuted]

You know, I looked at the pictures and thought the LRC crowd got this wrong, too. It seemed obvious that his shirt was wet. But then I looked a little closer. Go here and search for Rossi's name and you can see those finish line only photos. In particular, use the zoom feature on the fourth one. There entire side of his shirt is dry all the way up to his armpits. His sleeves are dry as well. You can see the same thing from the other side just as he goes out of frame in the finish line video. Who runs 3:11 in 70 degree weather with high humidity and comes across the line with dry armpits?
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just one more thing to add:
when the whole Paul-Ryan-lied-about-his-marathon-time story broke out, I was talking with a friend who's a reporter about this. His comment was something like, 'I'm very impressed with this crowdsourcing." this from a guy with a lot of experience covering politics, buisiness, etc.
And yeah, it's true - the running community will find you and will track you down if they think you cheated or misrepresented your accomplishments. much easier to lie about money or sex.

Also, for any fans of the tv show The Goldbergs, this is pretty much the same neighborhood - though the Goldbergs went to private school, not the public school that wrote to the Rossis.
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [Bob Loblaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For the life of me, I cannot understand how anyone could cheat like this, brag about it and then think they will get away with it.
I have seen a AGer at worlds Germany cut the bike course loops, take an award at the medal ceremony, brag to his countries newspapers,
and then nailed by USAT TeamUSA. So the same thing from a guy trying to do at Edmonton worlds this year. Just will never understand.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [Bob Loblaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All BQ must now be done on the track with a timing mat and have each lap filmed. Forgot a qualifying time, running 104+ laps on the track is good enough to me!

"Most of my heroes don't appear on no stamps"
Blog = http://extrememomentum.com|Photos = http://wheelgoodphotos.com
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [Big Endian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Big Endian wrote:
Economist wrote:

What if you had a choice between a country station and one that had Nickelback on its playlist rotation?

Oh my. You're screwed.

Quote | Reply
It seems odd to me that he is breaking his PR by 30 minutes and running a BQ and yet he can't manage to raise his head at the finish? I think most of us would be pretty stoked coming across the finish with such a breakthrough run?
Quote Reply

Prev Next