Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and both in radio, both from PA, and both qualified for and ran Boston.

it gets weirder..... in the search for photos showing the cheater leaving the course after crossing the start line timing mat, they found a suspicious individual walking backwards on the course in front of the hospital at the start. Somebody quipped "hey, get the security camera footage from the hospital".

Guess who is head of the LVPA hospital?

a third Mike Rossi

kathy_caribe wrote:
Runguy wrote:
I thought that he was like 47 (not that that really matters)

i am almost ashamed to admit i know this, but there are TWO Mike Rossi who both live in PA (and both work in radio) and BOTH runners. the older guy (52) is totally innocent.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and meme time over at Let's Run.....
http://memegenerator.net/Mikerossicheat

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [durk onion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
durk onion wrote:
How much do timing mats cost anyway? Assuming that you at least have two for the start/finish meaning you've already paid for the timing chips for everyone, how much would it cost to add an extra mat?

Honestly, I don't totally know. For our roughly 1000 person Gran Fondo with 10 timing mats strewn all about over the county, our total timing services is ballpark $5 per head. But, that is certainly not linear with the number of mats or the number of heads. Additionally, my guy uses the older ChampionChip technology and mats, while this race uses the newer Chronotrack. So, does this answer your question? No. But, let's imagine LV Marathon paid in the $4000-$5000 ballpark for bib chip timing; my guess would be another $1000-$2000 to throw some mats down in another two locations on course.
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think all BQ races need mats every 5k, this way if a timing mat malfunctions you still have 9 other mats to find you on the course. Of course the two critical mats are at the start and finish which is why most big races will double and sometimes even triple the number of mats on the start/finish lines. Timing mats miss people all the time, this is why you need several throughout the race.
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ran 3:13 for my first BQ and then a few months later tanked it at Boston with a 3:43. However, my 3:43 was due to too little training over the winter, and I had a 38 min 10k and 17:51 5k prior to back up my 3:13. Also, there were tons of pics at my BQ race to prove I did it.

To think that people continue to cheat like this with chip timing today simply astounds me.

---------------------

"Whether you believe you can or you can't, you are right."
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [DC Pattie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DC Pattie wrote:
I think all BQ races need mats every 5k, this way if a timing mat malfunctions you still have 9 other mats to find you on the course. Of course the two critical mats are at the start and finish which is why most big races will double and sometimes even triple the number of mats on the start/finish lines. Timing mats miss people all the time, this is why you need several throughout the race.
You'd be taking away these entertaining threads! In the big scheme of things does it really matter if a couple of people cheat their way into a Marathon?
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [Sbradley11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sbradley11 wrote:
I'm with you. This is has easily been the most entertaining part of my week. The LR folks are amazingly impressive investigators.

Have to agree with that. They love them a good witch hunt over there.
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [Ga Tri Coach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No different than most males approaching 50, trying to turn back the clock. Trying a little too hard that is.

To put some perspective, this guy has NOTHING on Dr. Jim Michaels, a water ski cheating doctor of dentistry. He rigged up a ski course in his awesome lake with remote controlled electro-mechanical adjustment. So when he skied, the course would go narrow (easy). He ran this charade for a full year, in a comedy of circumstance he was able to side step every "real" test. He set masters(senior) world records, he declared he would take on the pro world record. Registered USA/World records!!

The climax was a bonafide pro-tour event held at his place - big boat company sponsored, The US Open by Malibu. He was skiing like crap so he pulled the trigger and got caught. Unbelievable, but actually to piece things together, quite understandable. He started in bits and it just snowballed.

<http://skifly.com/...dal-dr-jim-michaels/

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The lengths that people will go through to cheat sometimes baffles me. I think most do it simply because they can, and they get a thrill out of "beating the system". The bragging about it is them bragging to themselves about how they are smarter then everyone else that they duped. There is no shame or remorse felt for their actions, despite what they say after being busted.

That being said, I'm kind of glad this occasionally happens, as the ensuing witch hunts are generally fun to follow.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericM40-44 wrote:
and both in radio, both from PA, and both qualified for and ran Boston.

it gets weirder..... in the search for photos showing the cheater leaving the course after crossing the start line timing mat, they found a suspicious individual walking backwards on the course in front of the hospital at the start. Somebody quipped "hey, get the security camera footage from the hospital".

Guess who is head of the LVPA hospital?

a third Mike Rossi

That is hilarious!

Rossi is the most popular last name in Italy. Hell, my last name is very similar to it. Mike is also very common, so I guess in an area with a large Italian population, finding three Mike Rossi's wouldn't be the craziest thing in the world. Funny coincidence for three to be involved in this story though.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SharkFM wrote:
No different than most males approaching 50, trying to turn back the clock. Trying a little too hard that is.

To put some perspective, this guy has NOTHING on Dr. Jim Michaels, a water ski cheating doctor of dentistry. He rigged up a ski course in his awesome lake with remote controlled electro-mechanical adjustment. So when he skied, the course would go narrow (easy). He ran this charade for a full year, in a comedy of circumstance he was able to side step every "real" test. He set masters(senior) world records, he declared he would take on the pro world record. Registered USA/World records!!

The climax was a bonafide pro-tour event held at his place - big boat company sponsored, The US Open by Malibu. He was skiing like crap so he pulled the trigger and got caught. Unbelievable, but actually to piece things together, quite understandable. He started in bits and it just snowballed.

<http://skifly.com/...dal-dr-jim-michaels/

Wait, wasn't Kip Litton a dentist?!?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
someone just became the surfing lamb of the running world

Mason
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Innocent?

http://www.runnersworld.com/general-interest/via-marathon-no-evidence-marathon-dad-cheated
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [Burhed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No. Insufficient evidence to DQ him.

But enough doubt remains. Did you think OJ was innocent?
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [Burhed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If he can run a sub 3:15 marathon within the next 18 months he can have my car, I am completely serious.
Ok, it's not a great car, probably not as nice a car as he used in his BQ marathon but it's got a clear title and less than
48,000 miles on it.

do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [Macho Grande] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Easy BQs for everyone. Cross the start line, chill in your car for three hours, cross the finish line, and you are in. What a joke.

I hope the Letsrun guys keep digging.
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:
Easy BQs for everyone. Cross the start line, chill in your car for three hours, cross the finish line, and you are in. What a joke.

I hope the Letsrun guys keep digging.

The RD really needs to take a lot of the blame for not having the equipment on the course that would never have allowed this.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got sucked into the Mike Rossi cheating thread over on letsrun.com pretty early on. Then back in early June, following the non-dq decision, I converted a large gif file that someone had created and posted it to my youtube account - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxKfEiOfGmY Following my posting of this, Mike Rossi tweeted out references to a line from "Taken" - "I will find you and I will kill you" followed by a pic of me after getting hit by a van in a triathlon (http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...i?post=806641#806641) along with the words "This guy". Needless to say, that has kept me sucked into this whole thing. I've been in touch with some media and there should be some updated media coverage of this cheater! I wrote a blog post about the whole thing here: http://triathleteguru.blogspot.com/...g-with-cheaters.html

Tony
http://www.triathleteguru.com
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [tonythetriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great blog report. This Rossi dude has certainly made threatening remarks toward you with his tweets. The intention was implied. You did the right thing by calling him out. He tries to parade around as Father of the Years yet takes a shameful path to his achievements.
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [tonythetriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Empty threats from an empty blowhard. Kudos to you for keeping the heat on this cheater.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tonythetriguy wrote:
I got sucked into the Mike Rossi cheating thread over on letsrun.com pretty early on. Then back in early June, following the non-dq decision, I converted a large gif file that someone had created and posted it to my youtube account - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxKfEiOfGmY Following my posting of this, Mike Rossi tweeted out references to a line from "Taken" - "I will find you and I will kill you" followed by a pic of me after getting hit by a van in a triathlon (http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...i?post=806641#806641) along with the words "This guy". Needless to say, that has kept me sucked into this whole thing. I've been in touch with some media and there should be some updated media coverage of this cheater! I wrote a blog post about the whole thing here:http://triathleteguru.blogspot.com/...g-with-cheaters.html[/quote[/url]]

I just want to say that I have BQd twice (not really a back or front door brag) and never tweeted or facebooked or anything else about it. Of course that is consistent with the fact that I don't post much to social media at all. Your point about Rossi and his lack of social spam is probably totally accurate based on his prior social media presence. That was the only exception I took to your blog post. Everything else was excellent.

Not everyone wants to let the world know about their athletic achievements. I know that just about no one cares about my hobby.

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've checked in on that thread every few days and it has certainly turned into a train wreck. I've had to skip most of it and just hit every 5th page or so to get an idea of what is going on. It's an epic thread, with more twists and turns than the T3 thread here had, exacerbated by the anonymous postings. Good luck to you with this. Are you considering legal action against him?

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have not kept up. Can you give us a synopsis of goings-on, particularly after step 2.

1. He cheated. Effectively proven by internet sleuthing, particularly photo evidence with plenty of supporting, circumstantial evidence.
2. He was found out (via ip address) acting as a 3rd party defending himself, including lying that he (3rd party) had run much of the marathon with himself.
3. RD and BAA choose to steer clear of the mess and do not DQ him.

Seems like this guy does not know to simply go away quietly and let it die down.
Quote Reply

Prev Next