Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't no nothin about no edication and aint got no kids but I gotta say that anythang you kin git California Kentucky Mississippi Illinois and Texas to agree on must have somethin goin fur it.
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [trimule] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trimule wrote:
I don't no nothin about no edication and aint got no kids but I gotta say that anythang you kin git California Kentucky Mississippi Illinois and Texas to agree on must have somethin goin fur it.

Absolutely, as they all have such stellar reputations in regards to education;)

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [Economist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Economist... he's a laughing stock in the running community.

He made it to RW "The Most Popular Running Stories of 2015"

http://www.runnersworld.com/...ning-stories-of-2015

And the LetsRun Thread is over 20K posts

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Last edited by: RandMart: Dec 23, 15 7:24
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
sciguy wrote:
Jctriguy wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
Jctriguy wrote:
MeltingPot wrote:
timbasile wrote:
Yes, but is it really on a day by day basis? I'd imagine that its based on full time enrolled students - meaning while it may matter if your kid is around half the time, one or two more absent days aren't going to change any funding mechanisms.

At least, that's how its done here (Ontario).

no, that's is not the way it works here in the states ($ allocation based on actual student attendance) and dave has no idea what he's talking about (shocking...i know)

Apparently it is true in some states. Dave only suffers from the typical problem of assuming that his situation is the same as everyone else in the world.

Definitely not the case in Canada. Sounds like a crazy way to fund a school system. They penalize the school and all other students for the absence of some.

And where did I ever say what happens where I live happens everywhere else in the world? Amazing.

So how else are you getting money for schools? Should a school with 100 kids get the same amount as one with 1000?
Should a school with kids being gone 50% of the time get the same money if another school the kids are gone 1% of the time?

Just bringing this into the discussion shows that you think your reality is the basis for everything. Rossi doesn't live in California, do you know if his state has the same school funding model? Certainly isn't the case anywhere in Canada. You just sidetrack the discussing by saying parents don't know the financial implications of taking kids out of school, when in many cases there are no financial implications.

Now that you know your reality isn't the only reality, why don't you act like an educated adult and check on what other systems might exist in the world? Why would you think that a system that's been in place in California for a relatively short period of time is the only sensible system? To me it sounds ludicrous. Does it cost less to have a teacher in a classroom when a student is absent? Does the teacher get paid less if a student misses a day or a week? Having a fixed budget based on the total enrolment at the school makes far more sense to me than a budget based on assumptions and no firm numbers until the final day of class.

It appears that currently California, Kentucky, Idaho, Illinois, Mississippi, Missouri and Texas, distribute state funds based on average daily attendance. Oregon is currently considering a move in that direction as well. As a retired teacher, the concept is a terrible on multiple levels.

Hugh

Why? If the kid is not in the seat, how can they learn?

But I had no idea what I was talking about relating to funding. :)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/...kings-_n_894528.html

Just an example. According to this ranking, of that list only KY and IL are average in preparing their students for careers in math or science. Miss is the worst, and the rest are below average. Most rankings I see consistently have KY and MS at the bottom in terms of public schools. I live in KY and see how bad our school systems can be. Money spent is not necessarily money well spent.
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [bluemonkeytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluemonkeytri wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
sciguy wrote:
Jctriguy wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
Jctriguy wrote:
MeltingPot wrote:
timbasile wrote:
Yes, but is it really on a day by day basis? I'd imagine that its based on full time enrolled students - meaning while it may matter if your kid is around half the time, one or two more absent days aren't going to change any funding mechanisms.

no, that's is not the way it works here in the states ($ allocation based on actual student attendance) and dave has no idea what he's talking about (shocking...i know)

Apparently it is true in some states. Dave only suffers from the typical problem of assuming that his situation is the same as everyone else in the world.

Definitely not the case in Canada. Sounds like a crazy way to fund a school system. They penalize the school and all other students for the absence of some.

And where did I ever say what happens where I live happens everywhere else in the world? Amazing.

So how else are you getting money for schools? Should a school with 100 kids get the same amount as one with 1000?
Should a school with kids being gone 50% of the time get the same money if another school the kids are gone 1% of the time?

Just bringing this into the discussion shows that you think your reality is the basis for everything. Rossi doesn't live in California, do you know if his state has the same school funding model? Certainly isn't the case anywhere in Canada. You just sidetrack the discussing by saying parents don't know the financial implications of taking kids out of school, when in many cases there are no financial implications.

Now that you know your reality isn't the only reality, why don't you act like an educated adult and check on what other systems might exist in the world? Why would you think that a system that's been in place in California for a relatively short period of time is the only sensible system? To me it sounds ludicrous. Does it cost less to have a teacher in a classroom when a student is absent? Does the teacher get paid less if a student misses a day or a week? Having a fixed budget based on the total enrolment at the school makes far more sense to me than a budget based on assumptions and no firm numbers until the final day of class.

It appears that currently California, Kentucky, Idaho, Illinois, Mississippi, Missouri and Texas, distribute state funds based on average daily attendance. Oregon is currently considering a move in that direction as well. As a retired teacher, the concept is a terrible on multiple levels.

Hugh

Just an example. According to this ranking, of that list only KY and IL are average in preparing their students for careers in math or science. Miss is the worst, and the rest are below average. Most rankings I see consistently have KY and MS at the bottom in terms of public schools. I live in KY and see how bad our school systems can be. Money spent is not necessarily money well spent.

Called teachers unions. Follow the money

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Quote:

And Mike makes it onto another Year End List

http://runningmagazine.ca/...ted-moments-of-2015/

Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
bluemonkeytri wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
sciguy wrote:
Jctriguy wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
Jctriguy wrote:
MeltingPot wrote:
timbasile wrote:

Hugh

Called teachers unions. Follow the money

Doesn't KY have a serious drug issue? That is surely siphoning money away from those little investment projects called schools.
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
RandMart wrote:
Quote:

Technically, the LR offer was what made the list, but yeah. Just goes to prove that if you're caught cheating (no matter what it is), best just to fess up before the lie gets out of hand.

... or better yet, try not to cheat in the first place
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been reading this thread(and skimming over the LR thread/articles) and this story is really fascinating to me. Obv the "why would someone cheat" thing has been discussed many times before, but moreso I find this guy very......... well sad is the best word to describe it.

There is a serious need for attention going on with this guy for him to feel the need to broadcast himself like he did, and then to write that super douchy letter(how did he NOT expect that to be an unexcused absence) and broadcast that all over the place. Then after being ousted as a cheat, I almost feel like he even liked that attention. It seems like he just wants to be noticed really REALLY badly.

Someone should have hugged him more as a kid, lol.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:

From that list, this has got to be the most impressive thing I have ever seen.
http://runningmagazine.ca/...-400m-in-65-seconds/
Last edited by: kny: Dec 29, 15 9:44
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [Julebag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Julebag wrote:
I've been reading this thread(and skimming over the LR thread/articles) and this story is really fascinating to me. Obv the "why would someone cheat" thing has been discussed many times before, but moreso I find this guy very......... well sad is the best word to describe it.

There is a serious need for attention going on with this guy for him to feel the need to broadcast himself like he did, and then to write that super douchy letter(how did he NOT expect that to be an unexcused absence) and broadcast that all over the place. Then after being ousted as a cheat, I almost feel like he even liked that attention. It seems like he just wants to be noticed really REALLY badly.

The really interesting part, is how he uses his Twitter feed in response to the LR thread

Although he has it on Private, and no one on LRC can see it ... he's been changing his profile pic in reply to what they are posting about him, which n turn generates more LR posts

So, we know he's a least lurking on LRC, and may even be posting on there as any number of anti-LRC trolls

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Julebag wrote:

The really interesting part, is how he uses his Twitter feed in response to the LR thread

Although he has it on Private, and no one on LRC can see it ... he's been changing his profile pic in reply to what they are posting about him, which n turn generates more LR posts

So, we know he's a least lurking on LRC, and may even be posting on there as any number of anti-LRC trolls

From time to time he makes it public and the LR people jump on it. There's screen shots or links to screen shots from his twitter page. Normally I'd feel a bit bad for someone subject to a internet hunt regardless of how guilty they may seem. But this guy just keeps begging for more attention.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
From time to time he makes it public and the LR people jump on it. There's screen shots or links to screen shots from his twitter page. Normally I'd feel a bit bad for someone subject to a internet hunt regardless of how guilty they may seem. But this guy just keeps begging for more attention.

That's wild. I can't imagine being that starved for attention.
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
RandMart wrote:
Julebag wrote:

I think it's hilarious - he's totally owned Lets Run and they're now like his own personal dancing monkeys, responding to his every whim.

LR should have just let it lie a couple of months ago after they had exhausted all the avenues available to prove he cheated. They should have just put up a page detailing all the evidence, and then left it to speak for it's self.

Instead they continue to allow themselves to be trolled by him.

Rossi clearly doesn't give a shit what the internet thinks - worst case scenario Lea Valley risk a law suit and retroactively DQ him, and he subsequently gets DQ'd from Boston, but he gets to keep the memories, the medal and the swag, which was clearly his end goal, so from his point of view, big deal - but he might care what the real world thinks of him, and LR are doing a damn good job of confirming the line that Rossi is almost certainly spinning to his friends & family ie "I don't know what they're talking about, there're just a bunch of freaks & geeks on an internet messageboard who've decided to go after me for some reason. I mean, they're now claiming I cheated in that 5K the other week because I changed my twitter pic to one that showed my race number!"
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [Julebag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Julebag wrote:
Leddy wrote:

That's wild. I can't imagine being that starved for attention.

He's a wedding DJ, which is a close as he'll come to being a rock star, I guess?

Which reminds me of a joke:

A guy works in the circus, wearing a silly clown suit and following the elephants with a shovel scooping up buckets & buckets full of elephant shit all day, while being paid just barely enough for his meals & a couple beers every evening

One day, his wealthy brother takes a day off from his Wall Street job to come see him. He says, “Sam, I’ve got great news. I’ve got you a job in my office. You’ll wear a suit and tie, work regular hours, and start at a nice salary. How about it?"

Sam says, “What? And give up show business?"

Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yay, Finnish stuff! I live a few kilometers from that hill. It has become a bit of a thing to try to set the record. There have been ice hockey player and XC skiers doing well.

The current one is about 54,1 s (the guy in the Running World article did it in 65 s, and he is a orienteering sprint distance world champion).
The current record holder is a 400/800m guy. 400 m record 49,08. And yes, it should be clear that it is not really 400 m.
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:
RandMart wrote:

I can't see the photo in the article, but 426 stairs in 400 meters is nowhere close to normal stairs. Not to say that it's not really impressive, however long or high those particular stairs are.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I google mapped it. It's about 200 horizontal meters and 40 vertical meters. Certainly not a 1/4 mile up stairs in 65 seconds as the article claims, but damn impressive nonetheless.
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
kny wrote:
RandMart wrote:

I can't see the photo in the article, but 426 stairs in 400 meters is nowhere close to normal stairs. Not to say that it's not really impressive, however long or high those particular stairs are.

Here's the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvkuTTJernY

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
Here's the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvkuTTJernY

Incredible! I wish this was translated into English. I imagine him saying " Yes, I am a badass!"
Last edited by: johnnybefit: Dec 29, 15 18:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And now he's made the list as one of Philadelphia's biggest losers of 2015:

http://www.phillymag.com/...phia-biggest-losers/

What a long, strange journey.
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
craigj532 wrote:

Since he is listed first, I guess that means he is Philly's Biggest Loser.
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [Burnt Toast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Burnt Toast wrote:
craigj532 wrote:

Since he is listed first, I guess that means he is Philly's Biggest Loser.

Top of the list AND first one mentioned in the sub-head

#lifeisgood #noshortcuts

Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
craigj532 wrote:

I'm sure he's just glad to have the attention.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Julebag wrote:
craigj532 wrote:

I'm sure he's just glad to have the attention.

Now he has a ballad:
http://picosong.com/Er6s/

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply

Prev Next