Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [Runguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runguy wrote:
Sweeney wrote:
RandMart wrote:
ctbrian wrote:
I heard he was fired by his coach mid season

That's not a Trucker Hat

Really? Does that look like a 3:11 marathoner?

aw come on now! His big boned

I don't mind that he cheated so much, but couldn't he have lost 20 pounds before the race? That's not asking too much is it?

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pattersonpaul wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:
It's worth noting that all the other finishers coming through around his time (male and female) are wearing singlets. Everyone else running a 3:11 is dressed like a 3:11 runner would dress on a warm day.

Yeah, deep inside he knows he's merely a jogger. No sheer singlet and split shorts for him, but that's a good thing.

Now, if he'd run/bandited Lehigh in compression sox and bibby DeSotos . . . NURSE!!!

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [dgunthert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dgunthert wrote:
Let's say he's telling the truth and that ALL his 20 previous races were hurt and or easy runs. How does a person like that even come to the conclusion that he can run 3:11? My marathon PR (after 3 other stand alones and couple of IMs) was 3:32., but McMillan was telling me that based on other races, I was probably capable of 3:24. My first thought was, "Bullshit, I can't run sub 8 miles for a marathon." I trusted the number and bumped my mileage from the 45-50 mpw I did for that previous race up to 70 using the Pftiz 18/70 plan and I trained with that pace as my goal. I hit all the workouts but was STILL nervous about holding that pace. I was just hoping for the best. I sure as hell didn't dream of going out 30 seconds per mile faster than my BQ required time.

With Rossi, we have someone whose only previous marathon time was over 4 hours and whose previous 10-mile best pace was 7:28. In July he runs 2 5ks at 7:44 and 7:13/mile. So what about those races or his training made him wake up less than 2 months later and decide he should start the LV marathon at 7:19/mile?

Hadn't seen this posted - Runners world article.
http://www.runnersworld.com/...qualified-for-boston

"In a blog, which has since been made private, Rossi alluded to running more than 1,000 training miles in 18 months, or roughly 15 miles per week. It’s typical for runners who are capable of a 3:11 marathon to train at least 40 miles per week, especially among runners over the age of 40."

That kind of improvement on 15MPW training? --- he should be coaching!
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [ChiTownJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's an interesting article. I like this part:

Quote:
In the Philadelphia Marathon race report posted on his now-private blog, Rossi wrote that after the 20-mile mark, “I finally looked at my GPS watch and saw that I was not far from another BQ! Then, around mile 22 I had to use the bathroom…and that crushed any chance of a BQ. Bummer :( ”
The splits from Rossi’s Philadelphia race tell a different story. He went through 10K in 51:14 (8:14 pace), halfway in 1:47:08 (8:10 pace overall), and 30K in 2:34:32 (8:17 pace overall), indicating he was never on the 7:50 pace he would need to run a Boston qualifier.
I wouldn't call being nearly 10 mins off the pace and fading fast "not far from another BQ".
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [aw3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aw3 wrote:
That's an interesting article. I like this part:

Quote:
I wouldn't call being nearly 10 mins off the pace and fading fast "not far from another BQ".

I will call that a triathlete executing a race lol

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [ChiTownJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think this pretty much sums up the circumstantial evidence. (from LR, of course):
  1. No other finisher (total number?) in race with 0 pictures outside of finish line.
  2. 1 in 11,000 chance of 0 photos based on statistical analysis of the number of photos of the 100 finishers nearest his 3:11 finish.
  3. Bridge photographer at mile ?? has a consistent stream of photos with timestamps. MR does not pass by there at any point and there are no large time gaps in the photo stream during the time he would need to pass through to run between 3:00 and 3:30 pace. Unless he can run the 200m visibility of those pics in under 6 seconds, he was simply not there.
  4. 3:11 is hugely inconsistent with past performances. Lots to elaborate on here.
  5. 1000 miles in 18 months is not heavy milage and not consistent with a 3:11 marathoner, particularly a new runner who does not have years of miles of muscle memory in his legs
  6. Inconsistent social media treatment of his breakout LV performance in comparison to his other races and training
  7. Wet front of body yet dry armpits suggests lack of sweat but rather poured water on himself
  8. Started with sunglasses and headphones. Finished without.
  9. Will not produce GPS evidence that he claims to have of the LV performance and/or other workouts that are consistent with being able to run 3:15
  10. Having never run more than 5K at 3:11 pace, it is illogical that he would attempt a marathon at that pace, particularly as only 3:25 needed for BQ
  11. Rossi claims his prior performances and training do not reflect his true 3:11 ability because in all prior performance he was always: (a) - injured and/or (b) - didn't try hard. Needless to say, both of these explanations are complete bullocks. It is completely illogical that he would not try in his 20 races, and in fact, his social media posts directly contradict this claim, as he "gives it everything he's got in everything he does". And, injured? Injuries tend to prevent you from racing at all, not consistently slow you down by 10% if you are still able to toe the line and run. Clearly, MR's word cannot be taken seriously with regards to pace or effort; his report from his 3:43 Philly Marathon make that clear when he indicates he was on pace for another BQ until he had to take a potty break, while the actual timing data show that claim to be wildly false.

Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bet he made a promise to his kid that he ultimately couldn't keep, so he found an "alternative" way in.
If he hadn't been such an egotistical maniac with posting the Principal's letter on his facebook page (was that even real?), none of this would have happened and his kid would have thought dad was superman.
Know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
RandMart wrote:
ctbrian wrote:
I heard he was fired by his coach mid season

That's not a Trucker Hat

Most folks are looking up at the finish, and pushing their watch for a finish time.

I have a horrible habit of forgetting to stop my garmin at the finish line. I think I've done it at every race over the last few years. I'll go home, upload my data, see the map of my route which will inevitably include a big, red, yarn ball looking thing around the food tent =).

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:
I think this pretty much sums up the circumstantial evidence. (from LR, of course):

1. No other finisher (total number?) in race with 0 pictures outside of finish line.
  2. 1 in 11,000 chance of 0 photos based on statistical analysis of the number of photos of the 100 finishers nearest his 3:11 finish.
  3. Bridge photographer at mile ?? has a consistent stream of photos with timestamps. MR does not pass by there at any point and there are no large time gaps in the photo stream during the time he would need to pass through to run between 3:00 and 3:30 pace. Unless he can run the 200m visibility of those pics in under 6 seconds, he was simply not there.
  4. 3:11 is hugely inconsistent with past performances. Lots to elaborate on here.
  5. 1000 miles in 18 months is not heavy milage and not consistent with a 3:11 marathoner, particularly a new runner who does not have years of miles of muscle memory in his legs
  6. Inconsistent social media treatment of his breakout LV performance in comparison to his other races and training
  7. Wet front of body yet dry armpits suggests lack of sweat but rather poured water on himself
  8. Started with sunglasses and headphones. Finished without.
  9. Will not produce GPS evidence that he claims to have of the LV performance and/or other workouts that are consistent with being able to run 3:15
  10. Having never run more than 5K at 3:11 pace, it is illogical that he would attempt a marathon at that pace, particularly as only 3:25 needed for BQ
  11. Rossi claims his prior performances and training do not reflect his true 3:11 ability because in all prior performance he was always: (a) - injured and/or (b) - didn't try hard. Needless to say, both of these explanations are complete bullocks. It is completely illogical that he would not try in his 20 races, and in fact, his social media posts directly contradict this claim, as he "gives it everything he's got in everything he does". And, injured? Injuries tend to prevent you from racing at all, not consistently slow you down by 10% if you are still able to toe the line and run. Clearly, MR's word cannot be taken seriously with regards to pace or effort; his report from his 3:43 Philly Marathon make that clear when he indicates he was on pace for another BQ until he had to take a potty break, while the actual timing data show that claim to be wildly false.

I never heard of number 8 before. Does some one on LR have his selfie photo from the start of the race posted in the thread? I'd like to see it. He must have forgot them in the car on his drive to the finish area.
Last edited by: Burnt Toast: May 8, 15 7:22
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [Burnt Toast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, in the Let's Run thread it shows Rossi's selfie apparently right before the race. He's got sunglasses and headphones.

I could not begin to tell you what page that's on though, right now the LR thead is up near 100.

do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [Burnt Toast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pattersonpaul wrote:
... right now the LR thead is up near 100.

The two Kip Litton threads add to 312

Just about one-third there

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess he could have handed them off to the wife before the start
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've run all of my eight Boston qualifiers at 210lbs and above....and have the damn GPS data to prove it!

Don't judge the size of the horse, judge their gallop.

Bob
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ChiTownJack wrote:
dgunthert wrote:
Let's say he's telling the truth and that ALL his 20 previous races were hurt and or easy runs. How does a person like that even come to the conclusion that he can run 3:11? My marathon PR (after 3 other stand alones and couple of IMs) was 3:32., but McMillan was telling me that based on other races, I was probably capable of 3:24. My first thought was, "Bullshit, I can't run sub 8 miles for a marathon." I trusted the number and bumped my mileage from the 45-50 mpw I did for that previous race up to 70 using the Pftiz 18/70 plan and I trained with that pace as my goal. I hit all the workouts but was STILL nervous about holding that pace. I was just hoping for the best. I sure as hell didn't dream of going out 30 seconds per mile faster than my BQ required time.

With Rossi, we have someone whose only previous marathon time was over 4 hours and whose previous 10-mile best pace was 7:28. In July he runs 2 5ks at 7:44 and 7:13/mile. So what about those races or his training made him wake up less than 2 months later and decide he should start the LV marathon at 7:19/mile?

Hadn't seen this posted - Runners world article.
http://www.runnersworld.com/...qualified-for-boston

"In a blog, which has since been made private, Rossi alluded to running more than 1,000 training miles in 18 months, or roughly 15 miles per week. It’s typical for runners who are capable of a 3:11 marathon to train at least 40 miles per week, especially among runners over the age of 40."

That kind of improvement on 15MPW training? --- he should be coaching!

I've know guys go out and run 1:30 half marathons on zero running training. Of course, they are either Pro or Cat 1/2 cyclists putting in 200+ miles a week on the road...:) They also hurt like hell for a couple of weeks...

"Most of my heroes don't appear on no stamps"
Blog = http://extrememomentum.com|Photos = http://wheelgoodphotos.com
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [Macho Grande] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Macho Grande wrote:
I've run all of my eight Boston qualifiers at 210lbs and above....and have the damn GPS data to prove it!

Bob

If I was accused and have GPS data (which he says he has), I'd show it to the world with a giant sign that says "Go fuck yourself LR" I'd leave facebook open and post the data to prove to everyone, including friends and family, that I'm this awesome (given his ego). I'd post it too my blog. I'd post it every where.

I don't understand why he says he has the data and leave it at that. Given his ego, I would think he'd want to shove it right up the tailpipe of LR.

Quote | Reply
Macho Grande wrote:

Bob

Yes I know there are some bigger runners that can run that sort of time including yourself but I bet they (and you) show up in pics that
are taken along the course. He did not, just at the finish.

To me It would just be a bit easier to believe that he'd gotten to 3:11 fitness so soon after he
started running if he was a skinny younger guy.

do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [Economist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I don't understand why he says he has the data and leave it at that. Given his ego,
I would think he'd want to shove it right up the tailpipe of LR."

The strange denizens of Let's Run are saying that 'ol Mike has been posting there
under several different aliases in a feeble attempt to clear his name.

I don't know what I'll do next week when this thing dies out.....

do that thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think they're more than saying it. They've proven it thanks to a phishing ploy that got him to reveal his ip address and the moderator over there had already revealed the single ip address that had been used to defend Rossi under many pseudonyms. So, it is certain he has been posting over there and been telling lies.

The LR sleuths have also proven that he did not pass by the first photographer. They've effectively turned the rapid-fire snapshots into a video to show he never went by.

Needless to say, the dude didn't run the race. Schadenfreude in me is happy he's getting sweet karma. But, on the other hand, what is a marathon of that magnitude doing without timing mats. I've got 10 timing mats lined up for my Gran Fondo next month, and it pales in comparison both in size and importance to that Boston Qualifier. I realize timing mats are no panacea as Kip Litton showed, but still, at least make the cheats work for it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:
... on the other hand, what is a marathon of that magnitude doing without timing mats. I've got 10 timing mats lined up for my Gran Fondo next month, and it pales in comparison both in size and importance to that Boston Qualifier. I realize timing mats are no panacea as Kip Litton showed, but still, at least make the cheats work for it.

It's not any magnitude at all; only 1065 finishers last year. Totally under the radar. That's why he chose it

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How much do timing mats cost anyway? Assuming that you at least have two for the start/finish meaning you've already paid for the timing chips for everyone, how much would it cost to add an extra mat?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm with you. This is has easily been the most entertaining part of my week. The LR folks are amazingly impressive investigators.

Quote | Reply
 The problem with his finish line photo is that, well, he's too calm. When I qualify the first time in 2008 I was quite literally going bananas for the last hundred meters.

If this was a dream, a wish, a life affirming goal for him I would've expected more than just a fist pump.
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [Runguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runguy wrote:
I thought that he was like 47 (not that that really matters)

i am almost ashamed to admit i know this, but there are TWO Mike Rossi who both live in PA (and both work in radio) and BOTH runners. the older guy (52) is totally innocent.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [Macho Grande] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The first time I BQ, my heart and my head were quite happy. My outer body could barely move a few yards past the finish line. I just looked at that finisher's photo. I looked like a walking zombie. I don't think judging by the finish line photo tell you anything. People celebrate differently. This is not to say that I don't think he cheated because I believe he cheated. Take a look at the Superbowl. Some guys do the fancy dance when they reach the end zone. Some guys just jog back to the sideline.

Macho Grande wrote:
The problem with his finish line photo is that, well, he's too calm. When I qualify the first time in 2008 I was quite literally going bananas for the last hundred meters.

If this was a dream, a wish, a life affirming goal for him I would've expected more than just a fist pump.

Prev Next