Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [dgunthert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Considering the character of the guy, it is vastly possible that he had planned to change clothes by the finish line (maybe handed out by his kids) so he looks good in photos and can document it extensively. Wouldn't rule that out.
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pattersonpaul wrote:
His station is probably "pop" country which is even worse.

Please use "Tennessee Glam" in this case

'ppreciate it

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [Baboonator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Baboonator wrote:
Considering the character of the guy, it is vastly possible that he had planned to change clothes by the finish line (maybe handed out by his kids) so he looks good in photos and can document it extensively. Wouldn't rule that out.

He beat his PR by 30 minutes on a warm day plus had time to stop to change clothes. Sweet. Where can I get this guy's training plan?
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [ktm520] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ktm520 wrote:
It seems odd to me that he is breaking his PR by 30 minutes and running a BQ and yet he can't manage to raise his head at the finish? I think most of us would be pretty stoked coming across the finish with such a breakthrough run?

1:20 at Broad Street [10M] on Sunday

http://broadstreetrun.com/...sAndAwards/Index.cfm

Not bad, considering the hip thing; but well off 3:11 pace

Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [Baboonator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Baboonator wrote:

So are you saying that maybe he actually ran a legit 3:11 but with also a clothing change so he'd look
good for the finish line photo?

Or is he still a cheater but nonetheless wanted to look nice? I don't get it.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
ktm520 wrote:
It seems odd to me that he is breaking his PR by 30 minutes and running a BQ and yet he can't manage to raise his head at the finish? I think most of us would be pretty stoked coming across the finish with such a breakthrough run?

well that's 8 minute miles. that's about what he should be running in "real life".

do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pattersonpaul wrote:
RandMart wrote:
ktm520 wrote:

well that's 8 minute miles. that's about what he should be running in "real life".

Yeah, he beat ME by a whole EIGHT minutes = .9 miles, maybe?

In fact, I may have shared a corral with him [now I feel ... icky]

Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe all of you haters should just step back and think about the potential upside of this guy. If he continues his current rate of improvement in marathon pace per mile by this time next year he will be hold the World Record! I bet you'll all shut up then!
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [Big Endian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Big Endian wrote:
Economist wrote:
Anything 'country' is worse.
What if you had a choice between a country station and one that had Nickelback on its playlist rotation?

I'd pick both barrels right to the temple.

Quote | Reply
So, he's a doper, too?

Oh wait, only sprinters dope ... and Kenyan women

Nevermind

Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From Yahoo Sports article . . .

“I focused my training to peak for the LV race in order to hopefully qualify for Boston,” he said.

“My race history…is not indicative of my performance level but my training does show an ability to run a sub 3:15 marathon. Many of my races were run for fun or were performed while I had documented injuries.”

Yahoo Canada asked if Rossi had any GPS logs of his training, or of his race at Lehigh Valley. He said yes, but declined to provide them for verification.

Link to article: https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/...tions-205004421.html
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [Toby Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hahaha, what a great defense!

This is beginning to sound a lot like Jason Scotland Williams, the guy that cheated on the 2014 London Marathon (as well as several previous years) and wouldn't admit it even in the face of blindingly obvious evidence.

I've just looked up his times again, apparently he reached the halfway point in a legitimate 2:07, shortly thereafter jumped a barrier and cut 8+ miles off the course and finished in 3:08. Funnily enough his chip "didn't register" on any of the timing mats between halfway and the 35km mark and there were no photos of him on this section of the course, but he still maintained that he ran the full distance.

He was quoted at the time as saying "I have done nothing wrong. I’m a personal trainer. I train every day, seven days a week, for the past seven years. Nobody thinks maybe I just trained hard. No one thinks 'maybe he paced himself through the first half and when the second half came he just let himself go’.”

I wish I could just let myself go, negative split by over an hour and get within 3 mins of the half-marathon world record!
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [aw3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does he need a larger shovel?

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [Toby Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toby Tri wrote:
From Yahoo Sports article . . .

“I focused my training to peak for the LV race in order to hopefully qualify for Boston,” he said.

“My race history…is not indicative of my performance level but my training does show an ability to run a sub 3:15 marathon. Many of my races were run for fun or were performed while I had documented injuries.”

Yahoo Canada asked if Rossi had any GPS logs of his training, or of his race at Lehigh Valley. He said yes, but declined to provide them for verification.

Link to article: https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/...tions-205004421.html

As many runs as one has to put in for training for a marathon, he should easily be able to produce training logs showing his runs with some pretty fast days. A person attempting to qualify for Boston keeps those logs to track progress
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=6479539&page=0

Wow, is this one taking off.

Dave, for someone so sensitive to being bullied I'm surprised and a little disappointed that you started a twitchunt here. You should maintain your high standards and not engage in this sort of behaviour. You will end up losing credibility around here and possibly be seen as a troll. But, maybe...
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [Jctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jctriguy wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

Dave, for someone so sensitive to being bullied I'm surprised and a little disappointed that you started a twitchunt here. You should maintain your high standards and not engage in this sort of behaviour. You will end up losing credibility around here and possibly be seen as a troll. But, maybe...

Are you a descendant of Matthew Hopkins?
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [Trev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trev wrote:
Jctriguy wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

If you're a witch, then yes I am. How far are you in today, 26'er yet?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not implying anything, besides that looking for sweat on a Tshirt is a pretty poor indication of whether somebody cheated or not. IOW I think after all the hard evidences have been presented, there is no need to harp on dubious "proofs". I think it is actually counter-productive to out the cheater, you provide them with a narrative to debunk your theory (well, it's more than a theory at this point, but I have not read the details). What I find fascinating with all these sociopaths is their need to seek attention and validation despite the fact that they actually don't achieve anything.

I've run my marathon PR in humid heat and my think my Tshirt could have looked "clean" depending of the pictures.
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [Trev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trev wrote:
Jctriguy wrote:

Had to look it up, I admit that

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Baboonator wrote:
there is no need to harp on dubious "proofs". I think it is actually counter-productive to out the cheater, you provide them with a narrative to debunk your theory

This is certainly true. Though it is not as straight forward as you might think. For example consider these two pieces of evidence:

If his goal was to BQ and he knew it was going to be tough, it does not sense to pace it at 7:20 when he only needed 7:55. If I presented this argument to a non-runner they likely would consider this weak evidence. A runner would consider this pretty good evidence.

Another example: his response to qualifying was extremely inconsistent with his narcissistic personality. Some would just shrug their shoulders and say, ehh, maybe he had a lot going on in his life. To me psychological response to achievement are habitual and instinctual and there is a significantly validity in pointing out the psychological inconsistency.

All of this is to say there is no such thing as objective evidence.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it is vastly possible that he had planned to change clothes by the finish line (maybe handed out by his kids) so he looks good in photos and can document it extensively. Wouldn't rule that out.

I would rule it out. People will bend sideways to try to find the guilty innocent but common sense usually prevails.

The facts that have been laid out are extremely damning and Rossi has offered no credible defence in all this time. If he had GPS data, a training log, prior results or any number of ways to stop the finger pointing he could have done it long ago. He has done nothing to defend himself and only looked silly in his lame excuses. It's almost beyond comprehension that anyone could actually believe him at this point.
Last edited by: Sanuk: May 7, 15 7:02
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
Baboonator wrote:
there is no need to harp on dubious "proofs". I think it is actually counter-productive to out the cheater, you provide them with a narrative to debunk your theory

This is certainly true. Though it is not as straight forward as you might think. For example consider these two pieces of evidence:

If his goal was to BQ and he knew it was going to be tough, it does not sense to pace it at 7:20 when he only needed 7:55. If I presented this argument to a non-runner they likely would consider this weak evidence. A runner would consider this pretty good evidence.
You have to frame your argument to your audience. A non-runner would not understand the difference between a 7:55 and a 7:20 mile, but they would understand the difference between a 3:25 marathon and a 3:11 marathon.

Quote:
Another example: his response to qualifying was extremely inconsistent with his narcissistic personality. Some would just shrug their shoulders and say, ehh, maybe he had a lot going on in his life. To me psychological response to achievement are habitual and instinctual and there is a significantly validity in pointing out the psychological inconsistency.

This is just supposition and conjecture. It is not "evidence". "well, I think he should have acted like XXX". No one can say or extrapolate how someone should react to a given circumstance. If his run was legit (highly unlikely), he may simply have been exhausted and spent or overcome with emotion, etc.

Quote:
All of this is to say there is no such thing as objective evidence.
That is simply not true.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It seems as though he's never met a camera he didn't like. EXCEPT for the cameras along the marathon route at Lehigh Valley.

do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Did Mike Rossi (viral marathon dad) cheat his way into Boston? [TriTamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To be fair, he needed 3:25 to qualify with his age - certainly within his reach with a 22min 5k.

I seriously doubt his 3:11 and is therefore a cheater, but I think he could have qualified fairly with a 3:25ish race.

He could shut everyone down with a GPS log. Just a simple log. But he's not and is proving himself guilty by doing that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Give the guy a break. He was just trying to set his Paul Ryan marathon PR
Quote Reply

Prev Next