Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Aero sensors for dummies thread [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
MTM wrote:
If it's pure crosswind Notio should theoretically measure zero wind (air speed = ground speed) as it's not measuring crosswind/yaw.

If yaw is high enough (probably north of 15 degrees or something like that) the pitot might not measure the wind speed correctly depending on stall/stagnation characteristics of the tip design. I'm not sure Notio has published anything about when exactly measurements start to be off (by let's say 1+%) in their tip design.

Do you know if any of the manufacturers publish this or make claims on how they handle this ?

I don't know. I haven't seen anything stated, but haven't looked specifically for it either. I'm no expert in pitot tube tip design, but know it has an impact and have seen the effects in outside testing. In general I haven't seen many exact specs published for the different sensors - like accuracy of air speed, yaw angle, elevation, etc., and within which boundaries it works and doesn't.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero sensors for dummies thread [MTM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MTM wrote:
In general I haven't seen many exact specs published for the different sensors - like accuracy of air speed, yaw angle, elevation, etc., and within which boundaries it works and doesn't.

It is surprising how little data has been published. I wish the manufacturers would publish more but I see why they are reluctant.

But really surprises me is how little data users publish. It's almost like they are overwhelmed by the data and don't know how to interpret it.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero sensors for dummies thread [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

For those that have never listened, this is Josh Poertner's podcast called Marginal gains.

Latest episode has another podcaster (from Endurance Innovation) and the topic is aerometers.

https://silca.cc/...s-and-marginal-gains
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All, I am considering doing some off season CRR pressure testing on the cyclocross bike and TT bike.

One big factor using any method, Notio or otherwise (the speed varying VE method) how do folks account for the different tire “rollout” or circumference at different pressures? Surely a lower psi has a shorter rollout than higher. Probably a few millimeters, which multiplied over the typical lap distances “might” skew the data.

Should one theoretically measure rollout circumference while on the bike for each pressure?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that is an intriguing question. One way to find out the answer to your question is to do the roll out at the prescribed/ planned pressures. You can then at the least know the difference and calculate the differences between one and the other as a %, assuming the highest or lowest pressure is you base then see what it looks like from there. I would see if the extremes are really that large a difference to make you worry about the speed impacts. I have never tried this and would be interested in what you find.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero sensors for dummies thread [s5100e] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s5100e wrote:
that is an intriguing question. One way to find out the answer to your question is to do the roll out at the prescribed/ planned pressures. You can then at the least know the difference and calculate the differences between one and the other as a %, assuming the highest or lowest pressure is you base then see what it looks like from there. I would see if the extremes are really that large a difference to make you worry about the speed impacts. I have never tried this and would be interested in what you find.

I will guess it is worse for lower pressure larger tires on the cross bike and likely irrelevant for on road TT bike.

A 35, 38, larger gravel tire surely squishes a good bit more at 30 psi than 50. But those would be valid gravel CRR testing points if the trail has a mix if hardpan smooth and rougher surfaces. As higher for hardpan and softer on the other surfaces.

Cross sometimes locally it is hard/fast versus slow muddy. So knowing that could mean big gains in speed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
s5100e wrote:

I will guess it is worse for lower pressure larger tires on the cross bike and likely irrelevant for on road TT bike.

A 35, 38, larger gravel tire surely squishes a good bit more at 30 psi than 50. But those would be valid gravel CRR testing points if the trail has a mix if hardpan smooth and rougher surfaces. As higher for hardpan and softer on the other surfaces.

Cross sometimes locally it is hard/fast versus slow muddy. So knowing that could mean big gains in speed.

Also remember that an incorrect wheel diameter will have a much greater impact if you are not using a wind sensor.
For example if you are using "traditional" GC-Aerolab, the power to overcome air resistance (Pair) is related to wheel speed to the cube and is linear for rolling resistance (Prr) ( v^3 vs v^1 ). So if there is an error in V it impacts the Pair component much more and makes the separation of CDA and CRR more 'difficult'.

If you are using something that measures airSpeed the error impacts Pair and Pcrr by the same percentage.

Depending on your protocol/analysis you can compensate for this at analysis time, especially knowing if you are using airSpeed or not. You know that if your tire is say 2.05m instead but your data is computed based on 2.10m, you can adjust the CRR or CDA in GC accordingly to correct.

You need to decide if the process of stopping, measuring, reconfiguring, restarting a session is worth it at test time or if you compensate during analysis

In the Gizmo, I use wheel speed for my speed/distance calculation in the Gizmo. However I don't use wheel speed on my head unit, I used GP. I can then compare the two and see if my wheel size is out of whack. There are several checks/adjustements I do like this. The more sources of data, the merrier :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:
s5100e wrote:

Also remember that an incorrect wheel diameter will have a much greater impact if you are not using a wind sensor.
For example if you are using "traditional" GC-Aerolab, the power to overcome air resistance (Pair) is related to wheel speed to the cube and is linear for rolling resistance (Prr) ( v^3 vs v^1 ). So if there is an error in V it impacts the Pair component much more and makes the separation of CDA and CRR more 'difficult'.

If you are using something that measures airSpeed the error impacts Pair and Pcrr by the same percentage.

Depending on your protocol/analysis you can compensate for this at analysis time, especially knowing if you are using airSpeed or not. You know that if your tire is say 2.05m instead but your data is computed based on 2.10m, you can adjust the CRR or CDA in GC accordingly to correct.

You need to decide if the process of stopping, measuring, reconfiguring, restarting a session is worth it at test time or if you compensate during analysis

In the Gizmo, I use wheel speed for my speed/distance calculation in the Gizmo. However I don't use wheel speed on my head unit, I used GP. I can then compare the two and see if my wheel size is out of whack. There are several checks/adjustements I do like this. The more sources of data, the merrier :-)

I mean, I could measure the rollout anytime then just update the circumference in GC at analysis time.

Like, on a "bike wash" day in the driveway. Do it for both bikes and store it away ready for use later.

But yes, I was going to use the Notio to do this.

I was a bit blown away at the speed increase on gravel training rides going from a 38mm Vittoria to a 35mm Gravelking. I can imagine perhaps if I nail down the tire pressure also, similar gains or preventing loss is imaginable. Again, with an eye on those dry and fast cross racing days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
I mean, I could measure the rollout anytime then just update the circumference in GC at analysis time.

How do you do that ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:

How do you do that ?

In one of the dropdown menus at the top there's a recalculate GC-Notio data button, it brings up a popup. In the popup you can enter your CRR, circumference, cal factor.

I've generally done this when there's an obvious "whoops" like I forgot that this wheelset is on 25mm tire on the wheel with the speed sensor versus some of my wheels have the 23's.

And it works, the lap avg speeds before/after updating it there were affected and it seemed to push the cal factor into the "Notio CdA" graphic page slider/input box.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
marcag wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:

How do you do that ?

In one of the dropdown menus at the top there's a recalculate GC-Notio data button, it brings up a popup. In the popup you can enter your CRR, circumference, cal factor.

I've generally done this when there's an obvious "whoops" like I forgot that this wheelset is on 25mm tire on the wheel with the speed sensor versus some of my wheels have the 23's.

And it works, the lap avg speeds before/after updating it there were affected and it seemed to push the cal factor into the "Notio CdA" graphic page slider/input box.

Cool. I don't use the Notio version of GC. I don't think that function is available in the off the shelf version of GC.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One lasting thing about GC or the Notio, as a complaint probably in my ignorance as a user, is the time it takes for the averaging to work itself out before the first lap or anytime you've u-turn'd and come back up to speed.

If you're testing CdA I feel like the systems need to allow for some starting assumptions like:
a-you will within reason maintain the same CdA for a lap
b-your CdA for the lap will be your CdA for the lap as soon as you get within a "speed window", let's say for purposes of yaw effect at lower speeds

Reasons I say this:
1. It's working out that out/back are my easiest to utilize roads. Looped is proving difficult to come by for testing at 26ish mph. For an out/back, it takes freaking forever for the averaging to level out after taking off from the start. So you're looking at easily over a whole minute of riding, not including the standing start per lap and per u-turn. Making each lap IMO a whole mile longer than it needs to be if the right assumptions are made. If I do a standing start, my CdA is NEVER 1.000 nor 0.000. But the sensor seems to start with those then average down starting a lap. Which is stupid. I feel like if they instead started with a "guess CdA" you could have shorter lead-ins to your laps.

2. Next up, I get the impression the sensor does a pretty good job on airspeed/wind. I still don't like how the maths work out with respect to elevation the sensors simply cannot read/detect. So, very minor road humps that disturb power or speed show up as blips in CdA instead of changes in elevation. If you assume "a" from above, then the software during a lap's bounds should assume that instead of the CdA changing the elevation was the cause. Yes, the laps out all align with each other and yes all the inbound laps align. It's still stupid though that due to wrong elevation detection your CdA out and back aren't "identical".

Last up, I don't have time for this........but I proved #1 can work by doing it in Excel. I overwrote the values above 0.300 with the value 0.300 as the laps or u-turns appeared. Also for #2, you could "detect" if accel/decel is due to a change in wind speed or due to elevation. If you're going 25mph with a 2mph headwind and airspeed is 27mph, during a lap I feel it's better to assume your decel counts towards elevation instead of CdA. To get around #2, I'm using the Chung chart in Notio GC more now than I used to.

Lastly lastly, I'm going to explore giving up on "fast" looped laps since for a loop the yaw is swept over the entirety of possibility each lap. Given that, it shouldn't matter if I'm going 27mph on the loop or 20mph. If just 20........there's more loops I can do safely and quietly. As loops short enough give a LOT of laps data for the shortest distance travelled.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I believe (best to confirm with Notio), that there is a "window" in which the compute their rolling CDA and this is configurable (by default 60seconds). "Lap CDA" is computed from when you press the lap key. So you can be sure there is no turn around data in it. This may have changed, check with them.

The challenge with either of those methods is if you have bad data (altitude or other) during the interval measured. If you use an out and back with net elevation=0 you can cancel out elevation error. But you'll get a number for the entire lap, not rolling value(s).

If you want an accurate rolling CDA you need accurate altitude. If you are not seeing accurate altitude, that is probably your problem.

Eliminating errors by restricting protocol is ok. Better is to identify error, best to correct it with another sensor.
It's not just to get a better measure for the lap, but for a whole bunch of other reasons. If you have good altitude, you can compute reasonable estimates of intermediary data and you can do things like :

- Calculate standard deviation to get confidence in your individual test.
- Separate CDA/CRR at various speeds that change significantly with altitude climbs and descents.
- You can override/correct one sensor with another (baro vs acceleromter vs gyro vs....)
- You can measure the impact of position changes and yes, people move during the test
- The better the data, the shorter the rolling window, the closer you can get to "instantaneous". Different opinions on how short a window is good enough.
- You can start differentiating impact of yaw and not have to try and eliminate it like you do
- ...there is a long list of things you can do better. And no, not all devices do all this....

When you do all these things, you don't force a protocol, you can race with it, you don't need to ride at 27mph to reduce yaw....all kinds of good things.

IMO This is where the technology needs to get.

The more you treat it as an aggregated out and back with constant speed, assuming wind is constant........the lesser value. At one extreme you have lots of constraints and get "fuzzy numbers", and at the other extreme : precision, accuracy in all kinds of conditions. I believe this is what should differentiate the $80 solution and the $3000 solution.

I think you have discovered that altitude is as harder to measure than wind . You have discovered VE is the best way to diagnose and work around some of the challenges of altitude. Having seen altitude challenges in several products, it's clear it's a tough nut to crack. I hope all products export to GC/Aerolab to do diagnosis.

An aerometer is like a scale. You get on it and it says 75kg. Is that really, 74 or 76 ? You don't know. But if you get on and it's 74, then 30seconds later 77, then 30 seconds later 75...your confidence is hurt.

Outdoor/road testing is noisy but again, what will differentiate the various devices is the ability to detect and correct that noise and use it it a variety of condition.
I found this article interesting https://www.rouleur.cc/...U3XH5fJH01O9_B7iWgxc

if a manufacturer needs a closed road to do tests, if you need a flat surface, if an out and back is mandatory, then the manufacturer needs to continue refining their solution to get from good to great.
Last edited by: marcag: Jun 8, 22 2:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:

I believe (best to confirm with Notio), that there is a "window" in which the compute their rolling CDA and this is configurable (by default 60seconds). "Lap CDA" is computed from when you press the lap key. So you can be sure there is no turn around data in it. This may have changed, check with them.

The challenge with either of those methods is if you have bad data (altitude or other) during the interval measured. If you use an out and back with net elevation=0 you can cancel out elevation error. But you'll get a number for the entire lap, not rolling value(s).

If you want an accurate rolling CDA you need accurate altitude. If you are not seeing accurate altitude, that is probably your problem.

Eliminating errors by restricting protocol is ok. Better is to identify error, best to correct it with another sensor.
It's not just to get a better measure for the lap, but for a whole bunch of other reasons. If you have good altitude, you can compute reasonable estimates of intermediary data and you can do things like :

- Calculate standard deviation to get confidence in your individual test.
- Separate CDA/CRR at various speeds that change significantly with altitude climbs and descents.
- You can override/correct one sensor with another (baro vs acceleromter vs gyro vs....)
- You can measure the impact of position changes and yes, people move during the test
- The better the data, the shorter the rolling window, the closer you can get to "instantaneous". Different opinions on how short a window is good enough.
- You can start differentiating impact of yaw and not have to try and eliminate it like you do
- ...there is a long list of things you can do better. And no, not all devices do all this....

When you do all these things, you don't force a protocol, you can race with it, you don't need to ride at 27mph to reduce yaw....all kinds of good things.

IMO This is where the technology needs to get.

The more you treat it as an aggregated out and back with constant speed, assuming wind is constant........the lesser value. At one extreme you have lots of constraints and get "fuzzy numbers", and at the other extreme : precision, accuracy in all kinds of conditions. I believe this is what should differentiate the $80 solution and the $3000 solution.

I think you have discovered that altitude is as harder to measure than wind . You have discovered VE is the best way to diagnose and work around some of the challenges of altitude. Having seen altitude challenges in several products, it's clear it's a tough nut to crack. I hope all products export to GC/Aerolab to do diagnosis.

An aerometer is like a scale. You get on it and it says 75kg. Is that really, 74 or 76 ? You don't know. But if you get on and it's 74, then 30seconds later 77, then 30 seconds later 75...your confidence is hurt.

Outdoor/road testing is noisy but again, what will differentiate the various devices is the ability to detect and correct that noise and use it it a variety of condition.
I found this article interesting https://www.rouleur.cc/...U3XH5fJH01O9_B7iWgxc

if a manufacturer needs a closed road to do tests, if you need a flat surface, if an out and back is mandatory, then the manufacturer needs to continue refining their solution to get from good to great.

Yeah, so what I've been trying to do to get around the challenge of that and get back to more rapid "lap summary" results versus digging into GC VE is lap design.

Which is why I have an unhealthy obsession trying to find loops I can do at about 25mph for tests. After the "startup time" laps thereafter produce a lot of lap data that all cancel out since it's a loop, without the penalty of waiting to startup or u-turn.

I've found a couple, and part of driving to my group rides or in parts of town for other errands went to scope them out. The universal "fuck" is without fail there's a bunch of street parking crap going on that makes me uncomfortable.

I have found a 0.4mi circumference pan flat loop about 15min drive from my work, but there is zero parking within a reasonable distance of the lap. My only option will be to try out putting my basic tools and fit parts for the test into a musette and try to do it on the spot. The royal PIA part though is not having a stand. I would highly prefer be able to lap back to my vehicle and put the bike on the tray bike rack, tilt it over, and do my fit change work.

The local arena parking lot fits the bill, but man........the amount of broken glass from douche concert and game goers is just too much.

I cannot justify the cost, but am damn close to giving in and buying a Harbor Freight table top mill for like $700 to make a few parts that make adjustments easier/faster. Like for my Trinity I want to make an all-in-one bridge that also allows for bar width adjust, bars cock in/out adjust. Then once "settled" on a bar angle with my Carbonwasps eliminate the larger adjustable angle riser and make myself a single angle riser that's a little more aero.

I can't make what I want with a table vise and hand drill. I need to machine slots.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it's not the $700 mill... it's the minimum $1400 of tooling/small parts/vises/etc that adds up quick :)

and the skills of course.

*for just aluminum you could get away with cutting slots and making bridges / easy shapes with a relatively stout plunge router, the right bits, a steady hand and the right depth cuts. Would be a lot cheaper than a mill for one off small stuff (plus you've got a router!)

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Last edited by: Morelock: Jun 8, 22 8:25
Quote Reply
Re: Aero sensors for dummies thread [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone know if a pressure based gps like an Edge 530 would get damped out a bit for small stuff if it is nested behind my hands hidden in the TT position? As in, that not being desireable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
Anyone know if a pressure based gps like an Edge 530 would get damped out a bit for small stuff if it is nested behind my hands hidden in the TT position? As in, that not being desireable.

It won't impact your use of your Notio. The impact to the 530's baro will be negligible, and since it's isn't great to start with...no big deal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My only side-view of the fit I've used this year. To honor the start of the TdF opening TT I did a TT of the same distance at work. I had a lot fewer turns, but a lot shittier road to ride on. And more elevation than Copenhagen.

I have my mini-mill drill press thing setup in the shed. I'm making a custom all-in-one Trinity bridge. It will serve as the bridge and allow for infinite pad width adjust between two extremes that are within "reason" for bike fits I want to test.

I have the 4x holes drilled for the stack tower spacers already, the hard part. Those needed to be pretty exacting as I'm tapping them. Then using exact length bolts from underneath just like the factory. I am designing it this way also so I can just rotate the bridge 180 and the slots for the pad width adjust will change the reach by about an inch.

Also, the Wasps advertised "toe in" but it's not as much as you'd think. So now with the slots I will be able to toe them as I please easier.

Lastly, I'm drill/tapping for holes so I can mount one of the old pole clamps to the bridge. Then insert a piece of custom long pole with an aero plug in the end to mount the Notio off of. This will get it out beyond the hands a good ways.

Once all that is done I'll post it up. I need to be patient with myself and take my time making these parts.

2022: imagine the Tempor on though, I love workout rides in the Aeroswitch even if I can't compete in it

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

What is the next "direction" you will go to find a few watts ?

Personally, I would try to add a tiny bit of stack to angle the torso up slightly, at the same time bringing the head slightly down (with a net looking at the same point away in the distance), with a bit of shrug which should be a bit easier. But that is a WAG that I saw work well on a person recently.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:

What is the next "direction" you will go to find a few watts ?

Personally, I would try to add a tiny bit of stack to angle the torso up slightly, at the same time bringing the head slightly down (with a net looking at the same point away in the distance), with a bit of shrug which should be a bit easier. But that is a WAG that I saw work well on a person recently.

The head being where it is was a product this year of having a fixed hole location pad width plate I made for the Wasps. It put my elbows a tad narrower than I'd prefer.

So, I now have made the plate. I'll post in the main forum as it's of interest to Trinity owners.

But next bet is the elbows out maybe 15 to 20mm each side but the bars toed in to club hands still. Allowing the head to relax a bit more down with the less narrow elbows and come down to where you are suggesting.

I also not being under the UCI stuff am going to angle the extensions up more. Then I'll see how that works out compared to baseline.

I also fixed the gps position by my hands a bit as right now it's annoying AF being a bit low squashing the insides of my wrists. So it's out of air now totally behind the upper part of the hands like you see the big pros do with their custom mount.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

How do you determine a value you are happy with ?

I assume your Notio gives you a "lap CDA". Do you use that ?
Or do you put it in GC and determine a value through adjustment of the CDA slider ?
Or do you bring into Excel and determine a value through some type of computation there ?

When you say "compare to baseline". Do you re-baseline every session ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:

Or do you put it in GC and determine a value through adjustment of the CDA slider ?
Or do you bring into Excel and determine a value through some type of computation there ?

I always always make a run of laps of the current setup.

Lap wise if using autolap on the Garmin for out back do a 45 second lead in each direction before setting the lap button. Then about 1/2 mile of lap data. This means fewer laps for same test distance so usually a total of 4 laps, 8 laps if you count out and back separate.

Traffic circle loops of 1/3 mile I will do like 10 of.

Either way I dont do ABBA or whatever as fit changes can be painful outdoors in bike shoes alone. So analyze laps in GC. In GC I do the Notio “factor” thing to ensure it is still about same. Then look at laps in there. Never use the Notio app really. Then expect each lap within .001 or .002 of each other to trust.

I have considered trying longer single lap stuff by doing box and whisker plot on all the sample points. The outliers being easily ignored.

I simply cannot muster more than 7 hrs a week training so meed more CdA gains. Oh, and a new bike pump for mastering CRR testing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
marcag wrote:

Lap wise if using autolap on the Garmin for out back do a 45 second lead in each direction before setting the lap button. Then about 1/2 mile of lap data. This means fewer laps for same test distance so usually a total of 4 laps, 8 laps if you count out and back separate.

Either way I dont do ABBA or whatever as fit changes can be painful outdoors in bike shoes alone. So analyze laps in GC. In GC I do the Notio “factor” thing to ensure it is still about same. Then look at laps in there. Never use the Notio app really. Then expect each lap within .001 or .002 of each other to trust.

I have considered trying longer single lap stuff by doing box and whisker plot on all the sample points. The outliers being easily ignored.

I simply cannot muster more than 7 hrs a week training so meed more CdA gains. Oh, and a new bike pump for mastering CRR testing.

How do you account for errors in altitude measurement ?

For your "box and whisker plot" I am assuming you would be doing some type of standard deviation of the lap cda to every point in the lap ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:
marcag wrote:

How do you account for errors in altitude measurement ?

For your "box and whisker plot" I am assuming you would be doing some type of standard deviation of the lap cda to every point in the lap ?

I want to try the box and whisker. I've not done it yet. I'd have to look into the best practices for doing that, but you're a step ahead mentioning the standard deviation aspect. It just seemed like a good way to visualize the data.

Altitude errors for the really long one lap each? Or the short multiple laps? For my small loop laps I figure there's so many laps of the same error, each setup gets to see the same "bump in the road".

Otherwise, with my new "plate" I made I can simply carry a single 5mm and 4mm allen key with me and a mini 4" long stainless machinist scale to do changes with low risk of not getting it back together. I found a pan flat perfect circle loop, but zero parking nearby. So adjustments would have to be made beside road.

It is here: about 10min from my work in Clayton
35.576124, -78.267447
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:

I want to try the box and whisker. I've not done it yet. I'd have to look into the best practices for doing that, but you're a step ahead mentioning the standard deviation aspect. It just seemed like a good way to visualize the data.

Altitude errors for the really long one lap each? Or the short multiple laps? For my small loop laps I figure there's so many laps of the same error, each setup gets to see the same "bump in the road".

Otherwise, with my new "plate" I made I can simply carry a single 5mm and 4mm allen key with me and a mini 4" long stainless machinist scale to do changes with low risk of not getting it back together. I found a pan flat perfect circle loop, but zero parking nearby. So adjustments would have to be made beside road.

It is here: about 10min from my work in Clayton
35.576124, -78.267447

This opens up the whole discussion on precision (not accuracy)

There is a gentleman in the TT position forum on FB that does A-B-A-B-A-B-A-B. Each of those is 7 laps of 500m, so 3.5km x 8 = 28km to compare A and B. That is a shitload of testing. Not sure why you need a device for this.

People will look at the 4 A test and if they are say +/- .003 and the B are +/- .003 they are happy. Do you really need 4 ? 28km to do an A vs B test. What if you want to test 4 helmets ?

What if on that first A, the 7 laps were +/- .003 of each other. Would one test be enough ?

What if you don't have a nice 500m circuit and you have a 3.5km out and back ? You get the 0 net altitude change but If you want to break it down into 7x500m chunks, you better have good altitude measurement or else you won't get that .003.

For the devices requiring a 3.5km out and back, you will go back to that having to repeat it 4x to get a measure of precision. Back to a shitload of testing.

Not all devices have the same level of precision and some require a boatload of testing to get confidence in the numbers. This is will differentiate these devices in the future. IMO of course
Quote Reply

Prev Next