Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Aero sensors for dummies thread [jonthornham] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jonthornham wrote:
Great question Tom. To be honest we didn't look at the problem that way but now I am wondering what it would show. We looked at the same tire over different rim widths which creates a wider casing width.

In theory, the same casing width would be achieved with a smaller tire on a wider rim. In order to match casing width you'd likely need a custom tire.

I do know height does not really change as rims get wider. We've taken thousands of measurements of different tires over the years looking at the relationship between casing width on different internal rim widths along with tire height. Casing width is almost linear with each tire having unique slope equation and height is generally a flat line. There are exceptions but the data is random.

Knowing that height generally stays the same a rim with a wider internal rim width would have a lower height than a larger tire on a rim with a smaller internal rim width. Stretching the width could in theory create a wider contact patch which may slightly lower the Crr. Likely negligible but possible. Would be fun to test if I could make custom tires.

Then there is the aerodynamic component. Many things to consider.

I'm not following why a custom tire would need to be sourced...just put the same tire on different internal width rims, measure the resulting tire width, and then adjust pressure for each run to the measured width. Then, measure rolling resistance and plot.

My suspicion is that just like when tires of the same "family" and different sizes are Crr tested with width adjusted air pressures, the Crr really doesn't vary all that much with increasing tire width. See 3rd plot here: https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/...prix-5000-comparison

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Aero sensors for dummies thread [John Buckley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
John Buckley wrote:
RChung wrote:
I think Tom Anhalt has used both and ambient temp and an IR sensor on outdoor Crr tests.

Long ago some of us who did outdoor field testing noticed temperature dependence in Crr. It seems to vary with tire but generally we could see around a 1% change with each deg C. When Al Morrison was doing indoor roller tests, he used Tom's spreadsheet to adjust his measurements to a standard temp for his basement testing area.

We discussed (and argued) the magnitude of temp dependence in a series of epic threads on the late lamented and sadly missed wattagetraining site.

Okay, I will start digging into Tom's site to find it.

No need to dig...the plot of the data I used to estimate the correction factor I use for roller testing is shown here: https://bikeblather.blogspot.com/...ollers-chartand.html

That was from a series of tests I had done on the same tire (23C Continental GP4000S) with varying ambient temperatures. I had previously used an IR temp sensor to observe that for a fixed load and speed on the rollers, the tires will come to equilibrium at a fairly fixed temperature delta above ambient. This data made me realize I could use ambient temperature as an input for the correction.

I had also ridden around with the IR thermometer in my jersey pocket in order to measure tire temps on the road. In order to get a consistent measurement of air temperature, I hung a small plastic card from the bike frame and allowed it to "flop in the breeze". Periodically I would stop and take measurements of the tire temp, the plastic card (for ambient air temp) and the pavement. What I found was that even on sunny days, when the pavement would be considerably warmer, the tire temperature would end up being a fixed amount above the ambient air measurement (not as large as for the small roller testing, but the small rollers act as "amplifiers" of the losses, so that's not surprising)...and I realized that the convective heat transfer going on between the tire and the air was a much larger factor than any conductive heating of the tire as it quickly passes through the contact patch. Now, on sunny days, the air temp nearer the road would be higher than it would be on an overcast day, but that's why I mounted the plastic card in the middle of the frame, to get a decent representation of that temp.

Those observations gave me more confidence in the roller test correction application...and I then also added that correction factor to my "home brew" Virtual Elevation spreadsheet, and found that it appeared to increase the consistency and repeatability of the runs when looking for CdA with a "fixed" Crr.

I hope that explanation helps :-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Last edited by: Tom A.: Aug 5, 22 17:45
Quote Reply
Re: Aero sensors for dummies thread [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah, now I understand what you are asking. Let me reach out to Chris Morton and see how he ran these numbers. It's been a couple years and I want to make sure I'm speaking accurately.

Jon Thornham
Co-Founder FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I enjoyed the podcast the first time. So I went back and listened again and enjoyed it more. I thought maybe it would be fun to discuss/debate share opinions on a couple of things. It would be great of potential consumers shared their opinion as they are ultimately the ones that are going to purchase and fund future development.

fyi, I worked for an aero sensor company in a previous life and have not since 2019ish. Since, I have been “tinkering” with various technology as some of my restrictions allow me to. Some of those restrictions will soon be gone. We ended up with a aero sensor we affectionately call the Gizmo, some positions sensors and some AI based analysis that we got an AI grad student to do. We pay him with Guinness. No firm plans on "what’s next”. We only use the technology for testing.

I like the fact you are a believer in apps to act upon the data rather than just quantify it. This is how we started. We didn’t want to build an aerosensor, we wanted to build upon one. We just needed one accurate enough to do what we wanted to do. I would put it aside tomorrow to focus on apps if I had something better.

You are the third of maybe 5 or 6 vendors to go on the Michael’s podcast and put a certain emphasis on the performance of the air sensor portion. IMO, no sensor can ever be too good, but I personally struggle with when "enough is enough". I think that threshold is different in cycling than F1 or Motosport and since you play in both understand your approach. We spent a lot of time trying all kinds of designs to measure wind speed and yaw and found while it’s important, the incremental benefit of one system to another is marginal compare to other aspects of the system. In our opinion, air Speed measurement is not the limiting factor in these systems. “For fun”, we actually developed a few sensors that could be placed in less intrusive parts of the bike and we got very reasonable performance. To the point for example that the downside of one concept was compensated by minimizing the impact the rider has on the system, calibration (that you talk about at the end). We even saw that the inexpensive anemometer used in the CDA/Crr app gave reasonable performance when well positioned. Less calibration issues, mounting issues…..may be worth a little precision especially if you can model/correct some of this imprecision. I am not stating all this as an opinion, rather a hunch. I am on the fence.

We have tried a few permutations/combinations of technology and they have very different cost/benefit ratios. I am not sure where the sweet spot it. If I look at the options commercially available, even they have a very broad range of cost/benefit. There was a bit of that in my DurAce/105 analogy above.

If you have $10 of R&D, we would put $5 into precision elevation and $5 into airSpeed precision rather than $2 and $8 as we have seen in some sensors. I would probably re-allocate that as one gets significantly better than the other. IMO elevation is a much tougher nut to crack. But if you crack it you get additional benefit. For example : IMUs, which are a big (but not complete) part of the solution are tough. Vibration, bias, calibration……make it tough. But for example ,if you quantify/model vibration you use it for CRR correction. If you manage to crack the elevation model you know have a reference frame that can be used for your body sensors. You touched on this and you were bang on. IMU in a helmet needs a reference frame underneath it to differentiate in the change in incline is a position change or the road. But if you crack it, small IMUs can be less intrusive and can be used in contexts where the Cloud is not there (in a race) There is a long list of advantages of having accurate elevation. We went as far as to have roads surveyed, do elevation mapping…..Once you have accurate elevation all kinds of cool things can happen.

I love your use of the FORMA. We have experimented with LIDAR, AI on video/images and others not yet discussed but with potential. If you go back to 2016, Argon had a video of all kinds of positions being measured, back then using IMUs. A third party was commercializing this for all sports such as tennis, Golf. Believe it or not they found a sweet spot in Yoga. Not too “dynamic”, not too many accelerations…very important to get the right form. I dabbled in this with a Tennis pro friend and found tennis was actually easier than cycling.

I agree with “live CDA” is useless. However you used a term “sample size”. I think I also heard “time to resolve an accurate CDA”. IMO, the shorter than time, the better. If it’s a 2KM out, 2KM back that is WAY too long. During that time you have multiple yaw changes, you have bumps, you have gear shifts, you have the person raising their eyes up to see the road……..And, the shorter “time to resolved accurate CDA” (TTRAC), you can get better metrics of precision such as a standard deviation. I’d love to see common terminology used here. Maybe we could get a bunch of guys together over beers and agree on TTRAC. We could have TTRACWP and TTRACCNP for wether it's with protocol or no protocol. Can you tell I am an engineer and not a marketing guy :-).

Speaking of no protocol , I am also a big proponent of making this systems useable in race conditions. I am not sure what JVs opinion is on this, but two other WT teams want the data to do post race analysis. One told me, “what’s the point of going to the tunnel if it doesn’t translate to race results. How can I see this in the race results ?”. I am a big believer this technology will one day be embedded in bikes, helmets, clothing and available during races of all kinds for race optimisation and a way for manufacturers to differentiate themselves.

Anyways, I think I need a 4th coffee....Feel free to pick apart any/all parts of it.
Last edited by: marcag: Aug 8, 22 7:37
Quote Reply
Re: Aero sensors for dummies thread [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
I enjoyed the podcast the first time. So I went back and listened again and enjoyed it more. I thought maybe it would be fun to discuss/debate share opinions on a couple of things. It would be great of potential consumers shared their opinion as they are ultimately the ones that are going to purchase and fund future development.

fyi, I worked for an aero sensor company in a previous life and have not since 2019ish. Since, I have been “tinkering” with various technology as some of my restrictions allow me to. Some of those restrictions will soon be gone. We ended up with a aero sensor we affectionately call the Gizmo, some positions sensors and some AI based analysis that we got an AI grad student to do. We pay him with Guinness. No firm plans on "what’s next”. We only use the technology for testing.

I like the fact you are a believer in apps to act upon the data rather than just quantify it. This is how we started. We didn’t want to build an aerosensor, we wanted to build upon one. We just needed one accurate enough to do what we wanted to do. I would put it aside tomorrow to focus on apps if I had something better.

You are the third of maybe 5 or 6 vendors to go on the Michael’s podcast and put a certain emphasis on the performance of the air sensor portion. IMO, no sensor can ever be too good, but I personally struggle with when "enough is enough". I think that threshold is different in cycling than F1 or Motosport and since you play in both understand your approach. We spent a lot of time trying all kinds of designs to measure wind speed and yaw and found while it’s important, the incremental benefit of one system to another is marginal compare to other aspects of the system. In our opinion, air Speed measurement is not the limiting factor in these systems. “For fun”, we actually developed a few sensors that could be placed in less intrusive parts of the bike and we got very reasonable performance. To the point for example that the downside of one concept was compensated by minimizing the impact the rider has on the system, calibration (that you talk about at the end). We even saw that the inexpensive anemometer used in the CDA/Crr app gave reasonable performance when well positioned. Less calibration issues, mounting issues…..may be worth a little precision especially if you can model/correct some of this imprecision. I am not stating all this as an opinion, rather a hunch. I am on the fence.

We have tried a few permutations/combinations of technology and they have very different cost/benefit ratios. I am not sure where the sweet spot it. If I look at the options commercially available, even they have a very broad range of cost/benefit. There was a bit of that in my DurAce/105 analogy above.

If you have $10 of R&D, we would put $5 into precision elevation and $5 into airSpeed precision rather than $2 and $8 as we have seen in some sensors. I would probably re-allocate that as one gets significantly better than the other. IMO elevation is a much tougher nut to crack. But if you crack it you get additional benefit. For example : IMUs, which are a big (but not complete) part of the solution are tough. Vibration, bias, calibration……make it tough. But for example ,if you quantify/model vibration you use it for CRR correction. If you manage to crack the elevation model you know have a reference frame that can be used for your body sensors. You touched on this and you were bang on. IMU in a helmet needs a reference frame underneath it to differentiate in the change in incline is a position change or the road. But if you crack it, small IMUs can be less intrusive and can be used in contexts where the Cloud is not there (in a race) There is a long list of advantages of having accurate elevation. We went as far as to have roads surveyed, do elevation mapping…..Once you have accurate elevation all kinds of cool things can happen.

I love your use of the FORMA. We have experimented with LIDAR, AI on video/images and others not yet discussed but with potential. If you go back to 2016, Argon had a video of all kinds of positions being measured, back then using IMUs. A third party was commercializing this for all sports such as tennis, Golf. Believe it or not they found a sweet spot in Yoga. Not too “dynamic”, not too many accelerations…very important to get the right form. I dabbled in this with a Tennis pro friend and found tennis was actually easier than cycling.

I agree with “live CDA” is useless. However you used a term “sample size”. I think I also heard “time to resolve an accurate CDA”. IMO, the shorter than time, the better. If it’s a 2KM out, 2KM back that is WAY too long. During that time you have multiple yaw changes, you have bumps, you have gear shifts, you have the person raising their eyes up to see the road……..And, the shorter “time to resolved accurate CDA” (TTRAC), you can get better metrics of precision such as a standard deviation. I’d love to see common terminology used here. Maybe we could get a bunch of guys together over beers and agree on TTRAC. We could have TTRACWP and TTRACCNP for wether it's with protocol or no protocol. Can you tell I am an engineer and not a marketing guy :-).

Speaking of no protocol , I am also a big proponent of making this systems useable in race conditions. I am not sure what JVs opinion is on this, but two other WT teams want the data to do post race analysis. One told me, “what’s the point of going to the tunnel if it doesn’t translate to race results. How can I see this in the race results ?”. I am a big believer this technology will one day be embedded in bikes, helmets, clothing and available during races of all kinds for race optimisation and a way for manufacturers to differentiate themselves.

Anyways, I think I need a 4th coffee....Feel free to pick apart any/all parts of it.

I agree on the elevation part. IMO consumers buying this have a high probability of not having a velodrome available nor a super pan flat area to use. So elevation affecting the calculation due to change in accel values matters, a lot. It's my gripe.

I feel maybe a "grail" of elevation with these sensors could be a larger sensor someday that uses a ground pointed laser to get at elevation changes. One points straight down, one points up road. The one up road will change relative to the surface's change in slope. The one straight down will not. Thing is, that stuff exists and can be super super accurate. Issue is the good stuff is already equal in cost to an aero sensor already.

Next up is for average joes that aren't nuts about this stuff like us, the GC-Notio style thing is great but I think if you fix the baked in issues that contribute to error that gets analyzed out in GC-Notio...........an average joe could use it. If the sensors don't barf on bad elevation readings, an average joe could simply set lap "traps" based on a ruleset then view the laps in the app or a dumbed down GC-Notio instead.

I would love to simply have my Garmin laps show up in the app and know I could trust that without seeing the raw data graph and right now knowing "shit, work to go do in GC-Notio". Right now, it is that way if I ride a perfectly pan flat loop like a traffic circle in velodrome mode. That's just not realistic though for all use cases.

Unfortunately, for now, I think even shifting the cost focus from the wind to the elevation it still will cost more. Wild guess.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero sensors for dummies thread [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:

I agree on the elevation part. IMO consumers buying this have a high probability of not having a velodrome available nor a super pan flat area to use. So elevation affecting the calculation due to change in accel values matters, a lot. It's my gripe.

I am not sure if the acceleration giving you bad numbers. Let's put it this way, acceleration doesn't bother Virtual elevation :-)

burnthesheep wrote:

I feel maybe a "grail" of elevation with these sensors could be a larger sensor someday that uses a ground pointed laser to get at elevation changes. One points straight down, one points up road. The one up road will change relative to the surface's change in slope. The one straight down will not. Thing is, that stuff exists and can be super super accurate. Issue is the good stuff is already equal in cost to an aero sensor already.

Drones do much better elevation calculations and cheap.

burnthesheep wrote:

Next up is for average joes that aren't nuts about this stuff like us, the GC-Notio style thing is great but I think if you fix the baked in issues that contribute to error that gets analyzed out in GC-Notio...........an average joe could use it. If the sensors don't barf on bad elevation readings, an average joe could simply set lap "traps" based on a ruleset then view the laps in the app or a dumbed down GC-Notio instead.
I would love to simply have my Garmin laps show up in the app and know I could trust that without seeing the raw data graph and right now knowing "shit, work to go do in GC-Notio". Right now, it is that way if I ride a perfectly pan flat loop like a traffic circle in velodrome mode. That's just not realistic though for all use cases.

Agree. The first GC versions were made for hard core people. My buddy refuses to use GC and has a pretty simple to use app.

GC vs an easy to use App should be like WKO to simpler use apps like TP for workout analysis.

burnthesheep wrote:

Unfortunately, for now, I think even shifting the cost focus from the wind to the elevation it still will cost more. Wild guess.

A high precision air sensor is the most expensive portion of these devices. By far!
Last edited by: marcag: Aug 8, 22 11:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:

I am not sure if the acceleration giving you bad numbers. Let's put it this way, acceleration doesn't bother Virtual elevation :-)

But at least on a velodrome with a short track (<= 250m) the trajectories of the center of gravity and the center of drag are far away from being pan flat.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero sensors for dummies thread [BergHugi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BergHugi wrote:
marcag wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:

But at least on a velodrome with a short track (<= 250m) the trajectories of the center of gravity and the center of drag are far away from being pan flat.

yes, but on a velodrome as well, acceleration or altitude are not a problem. A velodrome at high enough speeds has it's own specifics but I don't think acceleration or altitude are the biggies.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Mark,

Wow! Quite a post and a lot to cover. I won't try and touch everything in this one, as it has become far too long.

On an overview of what technology is required, depends on what someone wants to achieve: accuracy, time required for trustworthy measurement, ease of use, etc.

With Streamlines, we are aiming to provide is an accurate and reliable system for measuring CdA that does not require an aerodynamicist to use. It will use a 1km out and back course, that can have mild undulations, a gentle incline, or flat, and can be used in calm or windy conditions. We believe that there are many professionals who can then use this equipment and provide a service.

In addition, it can serve as the R&D platform and verification standard for the development of simpler more economical devices and methods.

marcag wrote:
You are the third of maybe 5 or 6 vendors to go on the Michael’s podcast and put a certain emphasis on the performance of the air sensor portion. IMO, no sensor can ever be too good, but I personally struggle with when "enough is enough". I think that threshold is different in cycling than F1 or Motosport and since you play in both understand your approach. We spent a lot of time trying all kinds of designs to measure wind speed and yaw and found while it’s important, the incremental benefit of one system to another is marginal compare to other aspects of the system. In our opinion, air Speed measurement is not the limiting factor in these systems.
We even saw that the inexpensive anemometer used in the CDA/Crr app gave reasonable performance when well positioned.

I will put forward two reasons why the probe type is important.

1) If barometric pressure is being used as part of the elevation measurement, a precise value for the static pressure is critical.

Elevation difference = Barometric difference / (air density x gravity)

A pitot tube is very precise when pointed directly into the air, but as yaw angle increases, there is a small error in dynamic pressure measurement, but a much larger error in static pressure measurement.

From https://www.unitedsensorcorp.com/pitot-properties.html
"Note that yaw and pitch angle affect the readings exactly the same. The errors in total and static pressure increase quite rapidly for angles of attack higher than 5°, but they tend to compensate each other so the probe yields velocity and weight flow readings accurate to 2% up to angles of attack of 30°"

In other words both the total and the static pressure measured at angles greater than 5°, have significant errors, but the error largely cancels out for dynamic pressure measurement - but not for static pressure which is required for barometric elevation.

As an aside, a kiel type probe (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiel_probe) does not suffer any loss in total pressure at yaw angles up to around 50°, but if paired with a prandtl type static pressure measurement, it then leads to larger errors in dynamic pressure as static pressure decreases with yaw, the total stays constant.

In addition to this, a bicycle sees large scale turbulence created from the wind passing over the ground which manifests as a random noise in the wind angle.

To quote from the same pitot-properties page -
"Under some conditions of high intensity, large scale turbulence, could make the angle of attack at a probe vary over a wide range. This probe would presumably have an error corresponding to the average yaw or pitch angle produced by the turbulence."

One of my bosses in F1 used to say "Everyone focuses on the total pressure, but that's the easy one, it's the static that everyone ****s up." Because in any moving vehicle, the static measurement always relies on compensation or calibration due to the onset angle and the presence of the vehicle moving through the air. With the Velosense probe, this compensation is built in with an extremely accurate wind angle (I will cover rider/bike compensation later).

To summarise, pitot tubes suffer a mild (2%) error in dynamic measurement from stable yaw angle changes. These errors in dynamic pressure increase when the angles fluctuate rapidly, which is often seen in cycling. But even more so, the errors in static pressure are much larger and become very problematic, meaning that static (barometric pressure) cannot be measured accurately unless the vehicle is in smooth air.

2) The wind angle makes a big difference to the drag of a TT bike. The sail effect from deep section wheels and aero frames can reduce drag by more than 10% at a 10° yaw angle. Fortunately for angles of 10° and less, it can be measured in wind tunnels and in outdoor testing and is quite consistent for a given package.

On a windy day, we often see yaw (absolute averaged) moving +/-3° degrees between runs; 10° across a block repeat is not uncommon. This change in angle can easily provide an 5%-10% error, so it must be accounted for and normalised when comparing CdA between configurations.

On a calmer day, onset angle differences may only be a few degrees, but at 1% per degree, it cannot be ignored.

I will agree that elevation is the largest source of error and the noisiest signal in terms of real time measurement. However, if static pressure can be measured accurately in real time, the major problem with barometric pressure is that it drifts in a slow but unpredictable fashion. If the same road is traversed, and we know our position along the road, we can map the barometric pressure, or any other signal such as an accelerometer, back to each increment on the road. With more than one pass, the elevation can be determined to such a degree that it is not only removed as a source of error, but then becomes one of the most trusted elements.

Which is what I think you were alluding to when you said?

marcag wrote:
... Once you have accurate elevation all kinds of cool things can happen.

Thank you for the post, I have a lot more to say about simple sensors, body positions, racing, etc. But I will put them up in a separate reply as this one has grown far too long.

John Buckley
https://streamlines.aero
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I am glad you joined us :-)

I think you you have tied barometric pressure (the basis for alt measurement) with the pitot.

Before I respond, quick question : do you not believe barometric pressure hence elevation, can be measured by a system completely separate from the wind sensor ? Do you see a disadvantage to this ?
Last edited by: marcag: Aug 8, 22 16:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:

Before I respond, quick question : do you not believe barometric pressure hence elevation, can be measured by a system completely separate from the wind sensor ? Do you see a disadvantage to this ?

I will lay out why I think it's much easier to measure the static/barometric pressure ahead of the bike. But obviously none of this applies to elevation from IMUs or GPS.

As you move closer to the bike, the pressure gradients become high, and the change in static pressure due to wind angle becomes harder to predict. The static pressure measured in the cockpit area is strongly affected by rider position. Lower down on the bike there is less effect from the rider position, but there can be local gradients from the bike geometry, and a TT frame is designed to magnify these gradients for the sail effect.

Although the sensor ahead of the bike is in partially stagnated air from the bike behind it, the total pressure cp is still 1. In other words, the air speed is slower, but it still has it's full energy. In addition, the static pressure gradient (the change in pressure per distance as you approach the bike) is still low. Low static pressure gradient also means that the streamlines are close to parallel.

These conditions, stable total pressure and low pressure gradients, are essential to acheiving a sensor installation that maps well to isolated (probe without a bike) wind tunnel and CFD simulation. In this configuration the pressure variation in the static ports due to yaw should be the same as the calibrated condition.

Finally, although absolute pressure measurement has become very good, differential pressure measurement is still more accurate and not prone to sensor drift. Differential pressure sensors obviously require that the static and total measurement are both plumbed into the sensor. Absolute sensors, may require manual or automated re-zeroing between the total and static from time to time. Not a dealbreaker, but another complication on a complicated system.

To put some numbers on it, let's say:

Our barometric location has a +/- 5% unaccounted variation due to wind and/or body position
Typical road testing dynamic pressure might be 75 Pa (Sea Level, 15°C at 40 kph)
this gives +/-3.7 Pa barometric error
which is +/- 0.3m on elevation.

For me, this is a big error to carry forward before you have even dealt with barometric drift.

You mention that drones have good elevation measurement. AFAIK, they primarily use barometric elevation? Compared to a bicycle, the drone is obviously a fixed configuration. I would assume they have found a location which has reduced sensitivity to airspeed and onset angle, or they calibrate and compensate for airspeed and adjust their barometric pressure accordingly.

Finally, although the location we chose for mounting our probe came from bike wind tunnel and CFD testing. Due to some head scratching moments, we have done some extreme physical tests with sensor placement. Photos attached. Worth noting that in both photos there are two sensors and we log them both simultaneously allowing us to compare the near bike position with a far field sensor.

John Buckley
https://streamlines.aero
Last edited by: John Buckley: Aug 9, 22 1:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, that helps me better understand what you were saying. Let me answer this which will better explain where I was coming from. Tell me if this matches what you were explaining.

John Buckley wrote:

You mention that drones have good elevation measurement. AFAIK, they primarily use barometric elevation? Compared to a bicycle, the drone is obviously a fixed configuration. I would assume they have found a location which has reduced sensitivity to airspeed and onset angle, or they calibrate and compensate for airspeed and adjust their barometric pressure accordingly.

Yes, the drones I have flown use barometric elevation. They were an incredible tool during our development.They do compensate for airspeed and direction. We saw the phenomenon you describe. We placed an unprotected barometer on the drone. We also placed a sensitive ultra sonic distance measurement device pointing to the ground. We would hover at 1m. The barometer would tell us we were at 1m, the utltraSound at 1m. We would rotate slowly around the z axis. The barometer would say less than 1m, the ultra sound 1m. This would vary with windspeed and direction. Altitude measured by the baro varied while the the ultrasound didn't. Now the drone was quite easy to keep at 1m because it was correcting for the phenomenon. You could see and to an extent correct the barometer if you knew wind speed and direction. Some drones do much better.

In their case they care as much about elevation as incline. However they do use fusion algorithms to incorporate multiple sources (baro, gyro, accelerometer and GPS) into one answer. For example, while GPS is not great, it can be used to correct for barometric drift.

We care more about small changes in elevation than absolute elevation. Incline gives us this. In our case we use IMUs and others as part (not fully) of the solution and as you said not affected by windspeed and direction but by other phenom. Of course a corrected barometer is part of the solution we just don't rely on it as much as other solutions may.

But now I see your point.

I tried hard to stay brief :-)
Last edited by: marcag: Aug 9, 22 4:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:

I used the wrong term to explain it. The undetected elevation change causes either a change in airspeed due to slowing ground speed OR you maintain speed and increase power. Without a wind gust or actually detecting that elevation properly, the only choice in the calc is to update CdA.

So you wind up with this little pimple of a rise and fall in the CdA for your lap that doesn't really exist.

I'm pretty sure deep in the Notio help pages somewhere it says the out/back shouldn't have road features like that.

My gripes for all this are all a little bit hollow as I know of a pair of places I can go without the road issues, I just need to blow the time after cyclocross season to go do it again. Now that I tooled that custom Trinity bridge for fast adjustments. I need to epoxy a stainless scale to it so I can record the pad width/toe exactly.

I had emailed a local paved short track car track before buying the Notio to ask if I could ever stop by and they did say "sure" but never really gave me any details. I need to followup on that. As it's only 20min away and would essentially be an outdoor velodrome.

The last thing is I need to get my phone data tethering back working so I can get GC working "on site" when I test.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello
I am equipped with a Power2max NG-Eco powermeter which works very well. The problem is that I have just read the notice of the Notio in detail and that I understand that it is necessary to use a powermeter on Right/Left and not only on one side.
What will be the problem: It won't work at all or it's just less precise?
Thanks for your help
Ps: What is a FOP and MOP.....?
Last edited by: Eltito: Aug 9, 22 5:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
marcag wrote:

I used the wrong term to explain it. The undetected elevation change causes either a change in airspeed due to slowing ground speed OR you maintain speed and increase power. Without a wind gust or actually detecting that elevation properly, the only choice in the calc is to update CdA.

So you wind up with this little pimple of a rise and fall in the CdA for your lap that doesn't really exist.

Ok, got it. As a matter of fact, this is partially due to the phenomenon we were talking about above. A change in windspeed can affect the baro and make it "think" it's going up or down. If you then use this "wrong" elevation in a CDA calculation you'll get a blip in CDA.

Correcting for this helps. How you correct, via a more sophisticated air measurement or a more sophisticated incline measurement is probably the debate. I think :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Aero sensors for dummies thread [Eltito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eltito wrote:
Hello
I am equipped with a Power2max NG-Eco powermeter which works very well. The problem is that I have just read the notice of the Notio in detail and that I understand that it is necessary to use a powermeter on Right/Left and not only on one side.
Thanks for your help

The NG-Eco is considered dual sided. It is great. I use it all the time for my testing. Think of it this way. It is measuring power applied to the chainring and both legs are contributing to that.

I am not sure where you are reading from but FOP usually means "front of the pack", let's say top 10% of athletes. BOP is back of the pack, say bottom 10%. MOP is the middle, say 80% of people. Different folks apply different distributions. Often if you are a x%, FOP is x%+1
Last edited by: marcag: Aug 9, 22 6:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eltito wrote:
Hello

Thanks for your help

Precision.

I'll let others chime in with more detail, but basically your leg power difference isn't constant across your power zones nor is it constant always 100% the same even at the same power. So, in doubling the power if there's a constantly changing difference in right and left leg that it doubles......it's doubling that error. And doubling an error for CdA calculations isn't good.

With dual side measure, you get the power with only the error of the unit itself. Not the added error of assuming your leg left/right power split can always be doubled.

The "best of best" is likely a precise hub based meter since you don't have to worry about that or the drivetrain.

Drivetrains can be very slightly more or less efficient depending on the gear combo. But if we're trying to figure out small changes in CdA, if you run a lap in a 56/14 then a lap in a 56/13............that may change things.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Merci beaucoup pour votre réponse claire ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
Eltito wrote:
Hello

Thanks for your help

Precision.

I'll let others chime in with more detail, but basically your leg power difference isn't constant across your power zones nor is it constant always 100% the same even at the same power. So, in doubling the power if there's a constantly changing difference in right and left leg that it doubles......it's doubling that error. And doubling an error for CdA calculations isn't good.

With dual side measure, you get the power with only the error of the unit itself. Not the added error of assuming your leg left/right power split can always be doubled.

The "best of best" is likely a precise hub based meter since you don't have to worry about that or the drivetrain.

Drivetrains can be very slightly more or less efficient depending on the gear combo. But if we're trying to figure out small changes in CdA, if you run a lap in a 56/14 then a lap in a 56/13............that may change things.

FYI, your Notio records front and rear gear selection if you have a DFLY. At least it did in 2019.

We do the same although we get it from the Garmin.

You can then "adjust" drive train efficiency on the fly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:
Eltito wrote:
Hello

Thanks for your help

Precision.

FYI, your Notio records front and rear gear selection if you have a DFLY. At least it did in 2019.

We do the same although we get it from the Garmin.

You can then "adjust" drive train efficiency on the fly.

Thanks for that. I never saw that in the literature, simply their suggestion to not change gears during a lap. I will take a look.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At the moment I don't have the Notio yet, and I'm waiting for a Canyon Speedmax CFR. I read your comments a lot (I spend my days there...!!) and in the USA (And UK) you are much more ''sharp'' than here in France. For us, the AG, a passage in the wind tunnel is never done, because it costs at least 1200/1500€ and there is only one with people who are not particularly hyper competent for triathletes.
My 1st step is already to understand everything about how it works (English is not easy for me, even if Google translation is not bad)
Last edited by: Eltito: Aug 9, 22 6:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eltito wrote:
At the moment I don't have the Notio yet, and I'm waiting for a Canyon Speedmax CFR. I read your comments a lot (I spend my days there...!!) and in the USA (And UK) you are much more ''sharp'' than here in France. For us, the AG, a passage in the wind tunnel is never done, because it costs at least 1200/1500€ and there is only one with people who are not particularly hyper competent for triathletes.
My 1st step is already to understand everything about how it works (English is not easy for me, even if Google translation is not bad)

Remember, Notio was created by a Frenchman.

Actually a few Frenchmen and a Brazilian :-)

There is an app discussed in another thread made by a frenchman named bugno. Maybe he blogs elsewhere as well. There is another frenchman name pyf who is probably one of the most knowledgeable aero guys out there. Maybe he will eventually chime in.

If you get stuck you can always PM me in French.
Last edited by: marcag: Aug 9, 22 7:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you ever measured a different CdA by changing the Look cleats to SpeedPlay cleats (4 holes, so without interface)?
There is a 7mm difference in thickness, so the seat height is lower with the Speedplay, so the Cda measurement should be different. That's the theory, but in practice is it really measurable?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eltito wrote:
Have you ever measured a different CdA by changing the Look cleats to SpeedPlay cleats (4 holes, so without interface)?

There is a 7mm difference in thickness, so the seat height is lower with the Speedplay, so the Cda measurement should be different. That's the theory, but in practice is it really measurable?

There was this

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ing=abbaabb#p7692939
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great
No so big diffrence
Quote Reply

Prev Next