Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Aero sensors for dummies thread [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:

Along these lines....I exported to excel a ride and got curious and plotted the tilt sensors from my Notio. I did some basic fit lines and could eventually from messing around see the profile of the 1mi of road I used. Just interesting.

For hoots, keep an eye on them. Intentionally hit potholes and rough roads and watch them.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero sensors for dummies thread [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh yeah, they jiggle with bounces.

Otherwise, I'm in the exported file. The file populated gpsLatitude, gpsLongitude but didn't populate gpsSpeed or gpsAltitude. Next up, it also has the altitude and altitudeCorr all as very small numbers. Not like starting at an altitude of 350 feet then it losing tiny bits and gaining tiny bits over your ride. Not sure why, but this seems weird.

In GC Notio my altitude starts at zero.

I thought elevation is from sea level and altitude is from the ground. So altitude for a device on your bike should always be the distance from the road to the device. So the altitude, by traditional definition, should always be zero.

I'm just making sure this is right and something isn't wrong here.

The gps coords are like this:
timestamp gpsTime gpsLatitude gpsLongitude gpsSpeed gpsAltitude 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.25 0 0 0 0 0 0.5 0 0 0 0 0 0.75 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 1.25 0 0 0 0 0 1.5 0 0 0 0 0 1.75 0 0 0 0 0 2 0 0 0 0 0 2.25 0 0 0 0 0 2.5 0 0 0 0 0 2.75 0 0 0 0 0 3 0 35.60846329 -78.41419983 0 0 3.25 0 35.60846329 -78.41419983 0 0 3.5 0 35.60846329 -78.41419983 0 0 3.75 0 35.60846329 -78.41419983 0 0 4 0 35.60844421 -78.41413879 0 0 4.25 0 35.60844421 -78.41413879 0 0 4.5 0 35.60844421 -78.41413879 0 0 4.75 0 35.60844421 -78.41413879 0 0 5 0 35.60842514 -78.4140625 0 0 5.25 0 35.60842514 -78.4140625 0 0 5.5 0 35.60842514 -78.4140625 0 0 5.75 0 35.60842514 -78.4140625 0 0

Like this:
altitude altitudeCorr 0.03 0 0.09 -0.08 0.07 -0.15 0.13 -0.15 0.02 -0.11 -0.16 -0.11 -0.18 -0.13 -0.1 -0.16
Quote Reply
Re: Aero sensors for dummies thread [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
Oh yeah, they jiggle with bounces.

Otherwise, I'm in the exported file. The file populated gpsLatitude, gpsLongitude but didn't populate gpsSpeed or gpsAltitude. Next up, it also has the altitude and altitudeCorr all as very small numbers. Not like starting at an altitude of 350 feet then it losing tiny bits and gaining tiny bits over your ride. Not sure why, but this seems weird.

In GC Notio my altitude starts at zero.

I thought elevation is from sea level and altitude is from the ground. So altitude for a device on your bike should always be the distance from the road to the device. So the altitude, by traditional definition, should always be zero.

I'm just making sure this is right and something isn't wrong here.

The gps coords are like this:
timestamp gpsTime gpsLatitude gpsLongitude gpsSpeed gpsAltitude 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.25 0 0 0 0 0 0.5 0 0 0 0 0 0.75 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 1.25 0 0 0 0 0 1.5 0 0 0 0 0 1.75 0 0 0 0 0 2 0 0 0 0 0 2.25 0 0 0 0 0 2.5 0 0 0 0 0 2.75 0 0 0 0 0 3 0 35.60846329 -78.41419983 0 0 3.25 0 35.60846329 -78.41419983 0 0 3.5 0 35.60846329 -78.41419983 0 0 3.75 0 35.60846329 -78.41419983 0 0 4 0 35.60844421 -78.41413879 0 0 4.25 0 35.60844421 -78.41413879 0 0 4.5 0 35.60844421 -78.41413879 0 0 4.75 0 35.60844421 -78.41413879 0 0 5 0 35.60842514 -78.4140625 0 0 5.25 0 35.60842514 -78.4140625 0 0 5.5 0 35.60842514 -78.4140625 0 0 5.75 0 35.60842514 -78.4140625 0 0

Like this:
altitude altitudeCorr 0.03 0 0.09 -0.08 0.07 -0.15 0.13 -0.15 0.02 -0.11 -0.16 -0.11 -0.18 -0.13 -0.1 -0.16

from google

altitude is used to describe the vertical distance between an object and a reference point whereas elevation is used to describe the height of a place above the sea level

what your Notio is probably doing is using your "start point" as the "reference point" in the above statement,

Measuring altitude/elevation change with a barometer is pretty easy. You grab the barometric pressure a the start point and then there is a formula to go from change in pressure to change in altitude or elevation change.

The problem with a barometer is keep in one position, blow on it in one direction, blow harder in another direction and you will get different readings.

So while some barometers may be able to measure 10cm accuracy, that does not include the error introduced by varying weather conditions.

As well pressure at start point and pressure at current point will drift during the day so you will get drift in your altitude measurement.

It can all be corrected but it's not trivial to do it as precisely as possible. The devices don't care about elevation (as per the definition above), they actually care about change in potential energy that can be measured by different methods.

PS, you can get GPS altitude during post processing if that is of any interest to you.
Also, not sure how you export the file, but there are sections in the GC file that you may have interesting data in
Look for example at the BCVX section. One of these days over beers we will explain what BCVX means :-)

Last edited by: marcag: Aug 31, 22 8:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
what your Notio is probably doing is using your "start point" as the "reference point" in the above statement,

Forum needs a like/kudos button. That makes more sense now.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero sensors for dummies thread [bgarrood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bgarrood wrote:
Thats a nice idea. I'm going to get back into this shortly and try that.

1.5 seconds is entirely believable but a bit scary if that is really the case.
I have seen a consistent effect where CdA is high at the start of a run (auto lap start using a speed threshold) where acceleration is still quite high - in these cases it would be entirely explained by the lag.

I also plan to compare different power meters against my Wahoo turbo. Does anyone have experience of that? objective is to compare, say, a powertap hub, vs crank vs pedals vs turbo power by simultaneously logging all three. Again, I will report back..

As John said a while back, this forum has been a great source of ideas so thank you all!

Lets say, the worst was a Rotor 2InPower followed by 1st generation P2Max. Best with ANT+ was / is a SRM PM at a high cadence (or 2 magnets). Anyway, with ANT+ the minimum is allway ~0.25sec, it doesn't get better.

I think synchronisation between sensors may be critical in velodrome testing. I use 0.1sec subsambling for velodrome testing and a heuristic optimisation procedure to synchronize sensors.

Please excuse bad English, we are having a PhD party.
Last edited by: BergHugi: Aug 31, 22 9:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bgarrood wrote:
Hey Tom
Bike power and speed were roughly constant. We just fixed Crr, but you make a good point about testng at different speeds to pry apart both. I will have a look at this.
Sometimes it helps to do something like piecewise monotonic speed increases and decreases.

Quote:
For this case we took lap averages (automatically done by aerosensor using the wireless lap trigger). I am then averaging the 8 laps to get an overall run average. At the moment we keep it pretty simple, but as you say there is a lot you can do to improve. For the bootstrapping, I guess this is similar to the use of overlapping "windows" used in PIV? A little bit like a rolling average but more discrete.
Very close. I do overlapping windows when I'm doing laps or loops. I test at non-constant speed so the windows are each one lap-length long in distance, so they differ in number of observations. It's easiest to envision on a velodrome: each lap is 250m long but say the first lap is done slowly so it takes 30 seconds but each subsequent lap is done a tiny bit faster. If an entire test "set" of 8 laps takes 3 minutes (180 seconds) then I end up with ~150 lap-length windows; I don't average all 8 laps into 1 overall run average. The overlapping windows aren't statistically independent but autocorrelated -- but we know how to deal with time-series autocorrelation, and that effectively adds a smoothness constraint. It's sort of like process control, but with a known anchor point each lap. In any event, since I do laps or loops and generally not on a velodrome, I can plot the estimated avg CdA/Crr for the previous lap-length interval against position (either start, middle, or somewhere else) on the lap/loop. That lets me see if there are systematic differences by lap position that are either dependent or independent of speed and power.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero sensors for dummies thread [BergHugi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BergHugi wrote:
bgarrood wrote:

I have seen a consistent effect where CdA is high at the start of a run (auto lap start using a speed threshold) where acceleration is still quite high - in these cases it would be entirely explained by the lag.

I also plan to compare different power meters against my Wahoo turbo. Does anyone have experience of that? objective is to compare, say, a powertap hub, vs crank vs pedals vs turbo power by simultaneously logging all three. Again, I will report back..

As John said a while back, this forum has been a great source of ideas so thank you all!

Lets say, the worst was a Rotor 2InPower followed by 1st generation P2Max. Best with ANT+ was / is a SRM PM at a high cadence (or 2 magnets). Anyway, with ANT+ the minimum is allway ~0.25sec, it doesn't get better.

I think synchronisation between sensors may be critical in velodrome testing. I use 0.1sec subsambling for velodrome testing and a heuristic optimisation procedure to synchronize sensors.

All this talk of differing lags between speed and power sensors has me thinking we didn't know how good we had it doing this sort of field testing back in the days of the "wired" PT hub..."One Stop Shopping!", as one might say, since the speed sensor is built into the hub itself and used in the power calculation.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Aero sensors for dummies thread [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
BergHugi wrote:
bgarrood wrote:

All this talk of differing lags between speed and power sensors has me thinking we didn't know how good we had it doing this sort of field testing back in the days of the "wired" PT hub..."One Stop Shopping!", as one might say, since the speed sensor is built into the hub itself and used in the power calculation.

Did anyone notice a degradation on VE/Chung testing with the newfangled wireless devices ? :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Aero sensors for dummies thread [RChung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting. I guess a similar approach, looking at systematic errors in autocorrelation to understand the time lag issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
BergHugi wrote:
bgarrood wrote:

Did anyone notice a degradation on VE/Chung testing with the newfangled wireless devices ? :-)

My most consistent results (and smoothest VE plots) were always with my old "yellow cap" PT wheel and LYC ("Little Yellow Computer") head unit. I still have that available to me, if needed ;-)

The data with the ANT+ PT "wireless" hubs is nearly as good. Probably for the same reason that the speed and power signals should be well sync'd within the hub anyway.

When using a Quarq Cinqo as the PM source, I use a separate speed sensor, but I also understand the "quirks" of how the ANT+ broadcast signal is updated in the Quarq (i.e. data sent out at 4hz, but only updated upon the completion of a pedal cycle, so use a magnet trigger and "soft pedal" even when coasting to force it to zero, for example). Not as consistent as with the PT hubs though, especially since drivetrain loss variation comes into play.

Just my experiences...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bgarrood wrote:
Interesting. I guess a similar approach, looking at systematic errors in autocorrelation to understand the time lag issue.
Yes, though I suspect it will differ for specific models of power meters and speed sensors, and for different test conditions. So I think it's useful to investigate but in the grand scheme of things I think it's possible there are ways to finesse that issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RChung wrote:
bgarrood wrote:

Yes, though I suspect it will differ for specific models of power meters and speed sensors, and for different test conditions. So I think it's useful to investigate but in the grand scheme of things I think it's possible there are ways to finesse that issue.

I am having trouble wrapping my head around the protocol and what the results show. Have a picture ? :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bgarrood wrote:
Hey Tom
Bike power and speed were roughly constant. We just fixed Crr, but you make a good point about testng at different speeds to pry apart both. I will have a look at this.
For this case we took lap averages (automatically done by aerosensor using the wireless lap trigger). I am then averaging the 8 laps to get an overall run average. At the moment we keep it pretty simple, but as you say there is a lot you can do to improve. For the bootstrapping, I guess this is similar to the use of overlapping "windows" used in PIV? A little bit like a rolling average but more discrete.

One of the things we struggle with in all of this is aligning the data sources. I've found different speed sensors have different time lags between when the magnet event happened and when the data is received by the unit. I did an experiment using a door latch electromagnet hooked into a Nordic chip so we could accurately trigger the magnet event and record when the data was received over ANT. Looking at the minimum time gap over many events we can measure the time lag.
Power meters will have something similar, but I haven't even figured out how to measure yet.
Point is though as you reduce the size of your "window" in dynamic (variable speed/power) conditions, you risk artifacts of these unknown time offsets. The longer the average the less significant this source of error.
When I get a bit of clear air I'll do more experimenting on this.

I haven't done the Tom Compton challenge yet - too much going on, but its definitely on the list. I'll come back on here when I have done it.

Thanks for your kind words and input. Really interesting stuff. I'm very happy with where we have got to but plenty more to come from these sorts of second order methods.

Doh! I realized while re-reading this that the plots I referred to above are in another thread. You can find the post here: https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=7803932#p7803932

Sorry if that caused any confusion

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
RChung wrote:
bgarrood wrote:

I am having trouble wrapping my head around the protocol and what the results show. Have a picture ? :-)

Do you mean about the time lag issue, or about the "overlapping laps" thing?

Anyway here's a plot (from 2009!) that kind of illustrates both. The test was three out-and-back laps on a half-pipe type venue. This test used an old PT Pro, so each dot was an observation at 1.26 sec. (half-pipe and 1.26-sec and 2009 means that Tom collected these data). The x-axis is km of distance. The top panel shows the VE profile in meters, the middle panel is speed in m/s, so the speed and elevation were definitely not constant.

[If you're having difficulty seeing the plot, here's the link.]

The bottom panel shows a calculated CdA for lap-length intervals. Since there 3 laps, that very left-most dot is the CdA calculated over the entire first lap, so another way of thinking about that lower panel is that it should have been moved about 2.3 km to the right, and the top panel should've been normalized to start at 0 -- but this plot was for me and I wasn't confused by it. After an initial period of about half a lap, the calculated CdA becomes much smoother and more regular -- but it has obvious periodicity. Remember each dot actually represents an estimate over the preceding lap-length interval, so this is intriguing evidence that either the PM or the speed sensor or something else systematic (like, my estimate of the acceleration based on the the speed sensor) was introducing systematic error in the estimate. Also intriguingly, after removing the obvious systematic cyclicity, the SD of the CdA estimates was pretty damn small. (BTW, I wasn't assuming a given value for Crr -- I was calculating the Crr and CdA simultaneously from the data). [Edited to add:] I had/have a hypothesis for what was going on, but then my real job interfered and I never came back to this particular topic to nail it down. In any event, I wasn't getting just 1 estimate of CdA from a 3 lap test, I was getting a lot of estimates of CdA over lots of lap-length intervals. That let me do some statistical inference on the estimates.
Last edited by: RChung: Sep 1, 22 14:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Plot isn't showing up...at least not for me.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Plot isn't showing up...at least not for me.

Doesn't appear for me, but I can "open image in new tab"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've added a link to the image if you still can't see it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RChung wrote:
so this is intriguing evidence that either the PM or the speed sensor or something else systematic (like, my estimate of the acceleration based on the the speed sensor) was introducing systematic error in the estimate.

Thanks for the explanation

How do you compute/include rotational inertia ? GC/Aerolab doesn't.
Last edited by: marcag: Sep 1, 22 15:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
RChung wrote:
so this is intriguing evidence that either the PM or the speed sensor or something else systematic (like, my estimate of the acceleration based on the the speed sensor) was introducing systematic error in the estimate.

I used to try to include it, especially when I was working with 250m indoor velodrome data because I was interested in whether I could determine characteristics of the track's geometry from the observed data; but when I'm working with outdoor laps and loops like this where I'm basically integrating the power equation up to a work equation (and, thus, the inertia calcs simplify) I found out that the extra effort didn't seem to be worth it. At the time there were other analytical areas with potentially greater return. So I stopped.

[Edited to add] Or were you asking what my hypothesis was for the systematic error that I never got a chance to track down? This "overlapping lap-length interval" approach is sensitive to getting the lap lengths right. Since the data were coming at 1.26-second intervals, the "end" of a lap-length interval didn't usually coincide with an exact observation, so I would have to interpolate between two points to find speed and energy over the lap-length interval. When the speed at the end points was slower, the end points were closer together; when the speed was high, the end points were farther apart, so the interpolation would be less exact. At the time I was doing this, I was using a simple interpolation: if I were to do this now, I think there are better ways. In addition, if there was differential lag in the reporting that would be a potentially addressable issue too.
Last edited by: RChung: Sep 1, 22 16:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RChung wrote:
marcag wrote:
RChung wrote:

I used to try to include it, especially when I was working with 250m indoor velodrome data because I was interested in whether I could determine characteristics of the track's geometry from the observed data; but when I'm working with outdoor laps and loops like this where I'm basically integrating the power equation up to a work equation (and, thus, the inertia calcs simplify) I found out that the extra effort didn't seem to be worth it. At the time there were other analytical areas with potentially greater return. So I stopped.

While simplified, wouldn't they work out to about 4% of work that goes towards acceleration ? That charts shows constant acceleration/deceleration.
Last edited by: marcag: Sep 1, 22 16:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure the acceleration/deceleration can't be constant -- the velocity isn't. By "simplifying" I meant that since I was calculating over lap-length intervals, I didn't have to be that concerned about instantaneous errors in speed, power, or acceleration (I still had to be a little concerned, just not *that* concerned). If the speeds at the start and end of lap-length intervals is close, the contribution of both overall translational inertia and rotational inertia ought to be small. I'm not sure how you got 4% of total joules.

But maybe I'm off. Anyway, here's a YT video that shows how I was thinking about it. In that video, I choose i and k to be the start and end of lap-length intervals, and each second (or, more pertinent to the example above, each 1.26 seconds) I update i and k and slide the window one observation farther along. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OpJapMljOE
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I will watch. That 4% was by memory and quick calculation seems high. I need to go back and recalculate but yes, if the start and end speed of the intervals are close, which they are, even a 4% of a small number would be small.
Last edited by: marcag: Sep 1, 22 17:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
RChung wrote:
marcag wrote:
RChung wrote:

While simplified, wouldn't they work out to about 4% of work that goes towards acceleration ? That charts shows constant acceleration/deceleration.

Sure...but the accelerations are really slow (relatively speaking), so I don't think that rotational inertia effects are a significant factor.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
Thanks. I will watch.
Condolences in advance. Sorry, you'll never get that part of your life back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RChung wrote:
Do you mean about the time lag issue, or about the "overlapping laps" thing?

Anyway here's a plot (from 2009!) that kind of illustrates both. The test was three out-and-back laps on a half-pipe type venue. This test used an old PT Pro, so each dot was an observation at 1.26 sec. (half-pipe and 1.26-sec and 2009 means that Tom collected these data). The x-axis is km of distance. The top panel shows the VE profile in meters, the middle panel is speed in m/s, so the speed and elevation were definitely not constant.

[If you're having difficulty seeing the plot, here's the link.]

The bottom panel shows a calculated CdA for lap-length intervals. Since there 3 laps, that very left-most dot is the CdA calculated over the entire first lap… Also intriguingly, after removing the obvious systematic cyclicity, the SD of the CdA estimates was pretty damn small. (BTW, I wasn't assuming a given value for Crr -- I was calculating the Crr and CdA simultaneously from the data). [Edited to add:] I had/have a hypothesis for what was going on, but then my real job interfered and I never came back to this particular topic to nail it down. In any event, I wasn't getting just 1 estimate of CdA from a 3 lap test, I was getting a lot of estimates of CdA over lots of lap-length intervals. That let me do some statistical inference on the estimates.

It is getting somehow complex for me. A single VE profile? isn‘t the VE profile dependent on CdA and Crr and … ?

I have tested a number of speed sensors. The simple ANT+ sensors with a REED switch behaved similar, i.e. a time lack of about 0.2 - 0.3 sec. Hub sensors using acceleration sensors are worse.
Quote Reply

Prev Next