Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And the course has changed a bit from cyclingnews:

However, the course map does show an ‘improved sand surface’ which might make it safer for riders. Competitors then head out towards the sea with the tide due to have an impact on riding conditions throughout the weekend and whether the section is rideable or not.
Riders then head back towards the venue and into deeper sand which Van Aert rode away from his opposition in on route to winning the Belgian title. In a difference to the 2017 race, the sand section is broken up by a concrete paving section to offer some respite.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
You must have missed the part where I said there were parts of the deep sand you could ride through, but carry on. I also saw a whole lot of people running in parts of deep sand where they come off with no momentum. It's interesting where they ran every lap through the deep sand and where they didn't, which is to my point. That's not going to change, because of the weather. Deep sand like that isn't going to be affected by the weather. But I only worked with beach building and sand gradients for 2 years as first career job post college, so that's why I came to that conclusion.

Like I said, everyone will power through the 1st sand section down the big hill drop. And there will be a whole lot of running on the back end of the big sand pit where there is no momentum to be had that will connect back to the hard grass/mud terrain.

(I didn't really think it was that complicated to come to that conclusion that riding through thick sand will likely causing more running than riding, but carry on)

I think the question really is how the early power section kills riders first in the lap before a more technically demanding portion. I'm really pulling for Wout to bash everyone.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
I'm really pulling for Wout to bash everyone.

I've seen enough bashing this year! I want a pack of at least two to go deep, deep into the race. Maybe even a sprint finish, which we've seen precious few of this year.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [Tri_Joeri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I did a B Crit City race but on the Dolphin course. On a scale of 1-10 for awful, it was a 12.2.

Thanks?
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
So I did a B Crit City race but on the Dolphin course. On a scale of 1-10 for awful, it was a 12.2.

Thanks?

Hopefully you mean it was a sufferfest and not that the course/racing sucked 😬

A tribute btw to Diesel Dumoulin:
https://www.youtube.com/...;ab_channel=OwainK81

Edit: Forgot to mention, the GP la Marseillaise finish is broadcasted on Eurosport 1 right after the finish of CX Worlds, the last 1.5h of the race is on tv. The field is decent since a few of the other races that would kick off the road season were cancelled. Gilbert, Wellens, Degenkolb, Trentin, Boasson Hagen,.. https://www.procyclingstats.com/...rture/2021/startlist

Could be an interesting race. 3.8k at an avg. of 7.9% and then it's only 28k to go with a tempo climb of 7.2k at 3.1% avg. (includes a part of 2k at 6%) and then mostly downhill towards the finish. Punchers race with a sprint from a reduced group at the end?
Last edited by: Tri_Joeri: Jan 28, 21 2:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awful in terms of how much it hurts. Funny think is last week IRL I did an hour-long climb at the same avg power as yesterday, but never once ventured into pain cave.

Road racing is back! I believe the Volta is still on for the following weekend too?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel the same about trainer riding. I pretty much can always execute the workout, but outdoor the effort isn't even a question. Its fun. Inside? I use a good deal of mental gymnastics to suffer through.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri_Joeri wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:

Thanks?

Hopefully you mean it was a sufferfest and not that the course/racing sucked 😬

A tribute btw to Diesel Dumoulin:
https://www.youtube.com/...;ab_channel=OwainK81

Edit: Forgot to mention, the GP la Marseillaise finish is broadcasted on Eurosport 1 right after the finish of CX Worlds, the last 1.5h of the race is on tv. The field is decent since a few of the other races that would kick off the road season were cancelled. Gilbert, Wellens, Degenkolb, Trentin, Boasson Hagen,.. https://www.procyclingstats.com/...rture/2021/startlist

Could be an interesting race. 3.8k at an avg. of 7.9% and then it's only 28k to go with a tempo climb of 7.2k at 3.1% avg. (includes a part of 2k at 6%) and then mostly downhill towards the finish. Punchers race with a sprint from a reduced group at the end?

I know one thing. If he retires to become a doctor (which I don't think happens) I know that I only want medical care from a guy with a 430 watt FTP. That link you shared was a great great video. His Giro win was a fun race too. He was so strong that year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haha good to hear! The small incline every lap sure hurts after some laps!

Unfortunately not, it was announced today that the Volta Valenciana is off unfortunately..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haha I fully agree! And even though I think it won't happen, I'm only a 40' drive away from where he lives so 😎

Yeah that has to be up there with regards to exciting finale 5k's in grand tours in the last couple of years!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was watching a new Wiggo interview talking about the 2012 Olympics. 72 kg, 469 watt average over 50 minutes. 486 watts normalized. 4 - 8 - 6.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The other thing Wiggo said today was Phinney had the biggest watts and best w / kg in the race; but not the best position. It made me wonder what peak Phinney was doing. Wiggo's power is where we think Ganna is. Phinney being there is pretty insane.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
The other thing Wiggo said today was Phinney had the biggest watts and best w / kg in the race; but not the best position. It made me wonder what peak Phinney was doing. Wiggo's power is where we think Ganna is. Phinney being there is pretty insane.

A while back, a few people on this forum were seriously bashing Phinney, which I thought was quite unfair. To them, he's the wash-out whose career petered out, nevermind that the dude is lucky to be able to walk. They also conveniently forgot that Phinney won a Giro prologue and wore the Maglia Rosa for a few days and had a strong showing at Valkenburg Worlds (silver medal). Before Wiggo finally bagged rainbow stripes in the ITT in 2014, the best result he had was a silver, too, at the age of 31, whereas Phinney was 22).

Such a shame to see his career having been cut short
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:

Yeah, it's a bummer I don't think we ever saw peak Phinney, where he put everything together in his prime. He came super close a few times. Like 4th in the Olympic RR to effing-Vino-effing-kuorov or going deep, deep into Paris-Roubaix in 2018 (after his injury).

I didn't quite "get" his persona - but I don't hold that against him as an athlete.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wiggo said he had an honest convo and Phinney did over 500 watts that day for 50.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
turdburgler wrote:

A while back, a few people on this forum were seriously bashing Phinney, which I thought was quite unfair. To them, he's the wash-out whose career petered out, nevermind that the dude is lucky to be able to walk. They also conveniently forgot that Phinney won a Giro prologue and wore the Maglia Rosa for a few days and had a strong showing at Valkenburg Worlds (silver medal). Before Wiggo finally bagged rainbow stripes in the ITT in 2014, the best result he had was a silver, too, at the age of 31, whereas Phinney was 22).

I hope that wasn't me. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
echappist wrote:
turdburgler wrote:

It wasn't. Some seriously cringe-worthy snipes here.

And there was something similar on another forum I frequent, from the same time period, no less.
Last edited by: echappist: Jan 28, 21 12:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
turdburgler wrote:
echappist wrote:
turdburgler wrote:

I'm kind of proud of my comment at the end of that thread.
I once questioned his focus and laughed about his Boulder hipster ways, but knowing a couple of the same people tangentially and watching him closely in Roubaix and other classics, it was easy to see he was a baller and very tough. I'm less enthused about his paintings. :)
Wish him well. Cool character.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those are crazy numbers.. Humbling to see that I can only manage that for 2' on my best day haha.

Unfortunately I missed the Wiggo era and the first time I saw something from Phinney was when he was eating fries at De Ronde in 2018 (I only started cycling and watching it in 2017) so I missed both in peak form. Would have been awesome to see those 2 in peak form, TT against the like of Ganna and Van Aert and some other good TT'ers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
turdburgler wrote:
echappist wrote:
turdburgler wrote:

And there was something similar on another forum I frequent, from the same time period, no less.

Yikes. Thank God I'm not famous and judged that harshly for my peculiar personality!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri_Joeri wrote:
Those are crazy numbers.. Humbling to see that I can only manage that for 2' on my best day haha.

Unfortunately I missed the Wiggo era and the first time I saw something from Phinney was when he was eating fries at De Ronde in 2018 (I only started cycling and watching it in 2017) so I missed both in peak form. Would have been awesome to see those 2 in peak form, TT against the like of Ganna and Van Aert and some other good TT'ers.

I would have loved to see Phinney in a great position go against Ganna. Pretty sure Ganna and he have legit 500 watt FTPs. Velon streams power data for many races. At the Giro Ganna had sections where he pulled in the upper 400s for an hour.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
I was watching a new Wiggo interview talking about the 2012 Olympics. 72 kg, 469 watt average over 50 minutes. 486 watts normalized. 4 - 8 - 6.
I'm the same size as Wiggo. It's hard to even fathom being able to put out that power for an hour. Absolutely insane.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
turdburgler wrote:
I'm really pulling for Wout to bash everyone.

I've seen enough bashing this year! I want a pack of at least two to go deep, deep into the race. Maybe even a sprint finish, which we've seen precious few of this year.

Hi probability. Get away on Lap 1, and then hang on to each other until the end. Such an unforgiving course. Barring mistake, there really isn’t any closing a gap.

Great race by Brand. Bummer for Worst. Think she initiated the contact when she went down trying to make that final burst.

Nice showing for Honsinger.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [WannaB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Women’s race was carnage. Course is such that there aren’t really any tactics, just full gas from gun.

Good for Brand and Honsinger. Thankfully Betsema faded and didn’t win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Thankfully Betsema faded and didn’t win.

Yeah, I was a little nervous those first two laps. All it would have taken was Worst and Brand accidentally tying each other up, and it would have been over.
Quote Reply

Prev Next