Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If the STCI officials want to remind me of the scoring system, I am happy to keep official results this season.

And hand out penalties for dropping trash on your carpet or sitting on couch wrong.
Last edited by: WannaB: Feb 25, 21 19:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He easily dispatched legit sprinters at UAE on a short stage. A field sprint after long KBK should be even more favorable to his abilities.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
He easily dispatched legit sprinters at UAE on a short stage. A field sprint after long KBK should be even more favorable to his abilities.

Watch what Viviani had to go through to get second to Bennett. Legit. It’s a little different riding in the red kit versus his old blue one.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:

MvdP's playing it cagey though saying he's at KBK to work for Merlier. But he also said he was only at the UAE tour to get some training miles in the legs. He can't resist racing and he's just too strong. We'll see what shakes out at KBK but it sure won't be a surprise to see him contesting the final.

Very pumped for the Loop. I'm liking LFF, Pollitt and Mads for this but will hold off on my picks til I mull it over later today. What's everyone thinking about Pidcock? I don't know what to make of him. I feel like he's been pumped up too much by the Brits - in CX I kept hearing claims he's on the same level as Wout and Mathieu, and now I'm hearing he's a favourite for the classics. Talented dude for sure, but it seems there's a lot of hyperbole about him. Will be interesting to see how his road campaign goes. Seems like more of an Ardennes guy though?
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [ClayDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ClayDavis wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:

MvdP's playing it cagey though saying he's at KBK to work for Merlier. But he also said he was only at the UAE tour to get some training miles in the legs. He can't resist racing and he's just too strong. We'll see what shakes out at KBK but it sure won't be a surprise to see him contesting the final.

Very pumped for the Loop. I'm liking LFF, Pollitt and Mads for this but will hold off on my picks til I mull it over later today. What's everyone thinking about Pidcock? I don't know what to make of him. I feel like he's been pumped up too much by the Brits - in CX I kept hearing claims he's on the same level as Wout and Mathieu, and now I'm hearing he's a favourite for the classics. Talented dude for sure, but it seems there's a lot of hyperbole about him. Will be interesting to see how his road campaign goes. Seems like more of an Ardennes guy though?

If you listen to Carlton Kirby, pretty much every Brit rider is the next Geraint Cavendish. Would love to see Pidcock do well, but unless you're one of the van Monsters, jumping to the top World Tour road is always an awakening. Can he be a Stybar? That would be ideal, but Stybar also has been with the wolf pack.

I think Pollitt will get some this spring. He's in a better team situation. And Mads if he rides to win. Was watching the last PR (What year is this?) and Mads was trying to get in the early break. Not sure why. He could win PR.

I don't think the Loop is lumpy enough for the LFF. But I'm sure he doesn't agree.

MvdP can't help but be there even if he's riding in support. Guys like that are almost too strong to ride for someone else. The guy they're supporting gets shattered trying to keep up. :) And the Loop is pretty much in is wheelhouse, as is everything this side of the Tourmalet.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Morkov is a master at his trade. I was watching him position and so calmly and smoothly move up from 10 back to front inside last k. Bennett will be tough to beat with that, sure Cav is watching and thinking “I want some.”
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [WannaB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WannaB wrote:
If the STCI officials want to remind me of the scoring system, I am happy to keep official results this season.

And hand out penalties for dropping trash on your carpet or sitting on couch wrong.

Thanks for volunteering to do it, but it may be a bit late (and may end up being a lot of work).

What do the rest of the folks here think? Any interest in it?

I haven't volunteered for the pick'em, as I've been spending quite a bit of time running slowtwitch's Zwift B-team (btw, those of you at <4.3 w/kg for 20 minutes should join; @trail is also on the squad).
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri related: Cameron on the startlist for Sunday. https://www.cyclingweekly.com/...ne-start-list-213091
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You guys have had a pretty good season. Good luck in the TTT this week. Hopefully you can jump the Peddlers and take the divison.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [Runningwithbees] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the kind words. Hope your team finish the season strong as well :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:

I haven't volunteered for the pick'em, as I've been spending quite a bit of time running slowtwitch's Zwift B-team (btw, those of you at <4.3 w/kg for 20 minutes should join; @trail is also on the squad).

If you're saying to yourself, "What? Does it really take that much effort to race once a week in ZRL? Slacker." Then you haven't seen one of his race prep emails. Makes Ineos marginal gains look like Movistar self-sabotage. Videos, recon. Detail to the level of, "When you get past the second boulder on the right, deploy your feather power-up."

I'm all for WannaB taking over. My OHN picks are already above.

Forgot the women's so here (ignoring Vans Vlueten and der Breggen since I ignored MdVP and LFF for the men:

Kopecky, Vollering, Broeck-Blaak
Banks, Roy
Last edited by: trail: Feb 26, 21 12:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you. I'm lucky enough to get race in the playoffs next week, I just need to find my good legs after them being really shitty this week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will plan to do. I think I recall the points structure. Will find it in old thread.

Rewatched Fleche Wallonne overnight shift last night. Bummed we won't be seeing Hirschi this weekend.

Politt certainly coming in with some hype. Will be interested to see if he can make an early splash, especially with Sagan sidelined. I was wondering about Pidcock too. He certainly has the engine, but will he have the smarts to play his cards right in a selection, and have enough kick at the end.

OHN
Alaphilippe, Wellens, Naesen
Bardet, Laporte
Last edited by: WannaB: Feb 26, 21 12:10
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
echappist wrote:

If you're saying to yourself, "What? Does it really take that much effort to race once a week in ZRL? Slacker." Then you haven't seen one of his race prep emails. Makes Ineos marginal gains look like Movistar self-sabotage. Videos, recon. Detail to the level of, "When you get past the second boulder on the right, deploy your feather power-up."

As long as the recon is helpful, my time writing them is well-spent :)

WannaB wrote:
Will plan to do. I think I recall the points structure. Will find it in old thread.

Rewatched Fleche Wallonne overnight shift last night. Bummed we won't be seeing Hirschi this weekend.

Politt certainly coming in with some hype. Will be interested to see if he can make an early splash, especially with Sagan sidelined. I was wondering about Pidcock too. He certainly has the engine, but will he have the smarts to play his cards right in a selection, and have enough kick at the end.

OHN
Bardet, Laporte

Thanks for agreeing to take on the task. Thread with rules is here

Feel free to change things up how ever you see fit; you are volunteering time for the benefit of the rest of us, you get to make the rules. If finding the betting odds is a bit too cumbersome, then just go ahead and scratch the ultra long shots. Really, anything to make your own life easier.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, as for actual OHN banter, apparently Bardet is starting tomorrow? If so, mad props.

As for Pidcock, I'm not sure what to think. Sure, he's won the junior Paris Roubaix, but he does not seem to have the frame expected of a northern classics hardman (as in at least 175 cm tall and 70 kg). Then again, Paolini is 172 cm and ~66 kg, but even that's still a bit more stout than Pidcock at 160 cm and 60 kg (that type of frame is generally more suited for the Ardennes).

For OHN, I'm going

Naesen, O; Alaphilippe; Pedersen, M
Lampaert and Trentin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you. Rules as re-posted above.

Will keep the usual structure with Podium spots and Wild Cards.
Tie breakers noted

I think I may leave out the ultra-longshot. Save myself a little chasing odds. Instead will add my own liitle twist. A Bonus Play

Everyone picks one rider to carry through whole Classics season. Three points for every top 10, two points for every top 20, one point for every top 30. Whoever's rider has the best overall season, get's 5 points added to their overall tally.

Actually pick two (one is your A rider, and then injury reserve). If your A rider makes it all the way through, that's who you get. If he gets hurt, will default to your B.

Bonus:
Terpstra
Lampaert

Last edited by: WannaB: Feb 26, 21 13:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If Terpstra wins you win the whole season. Without the QS team I just don't see him winning again.

Dekker has been amazing this UAE Tour. Considering he has no team, he has been a big hitter. He has a huge future.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WannaB wrote:
Thank you. Rules as re-posted above.

Will keep the usual structure with Podium spots and Wild Cards.
Tie breakers noted

I think I may leave out the ultra-longshot. Save myself a little chasing odds. Instead will add my own liitle twist. A Bonus Play

Everyone picks one rider to carry through whole Classics season. Three points for every top 10, two points for every top 20, one point for every top 30. Whoever's rider has the best overall season, get's 5 points added to their overall tally.

Actually pick two (one is your A rider, and then injury reserve). If your A rider makes it all the way through, that's who you get. If he gets hurt, will default to your B.

Bonus:
Terpstra
Lampaert
Could you stipulate that the bonus rider cannot be any of the following: MvdP, WvA, Alaphilippe. Once upon a time, Kwiatkowski, Sagan, and GvA would have also made that list, but not anymore.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ahhh yes. I was debating it, thinking how to best characterize these picks.

Let’s make this the more long-shot option. So nobody that is a typical podium finisher.

I will rescind my picks. Think more like Oss or Sep, which is what I originally had in mind. Rewards the favorite, consistent, “good guys”.

Again, this just for a few bonus points at the end. Open to other thoughts/ideas.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
If Terpstra wins you win the whole season. Without the QS team I just don't see him winning again.

x2
i love the Derp but i don't see it happening again

Loop, i'll take the non-LFF DQS guys. Asgreen, Yves, and Stybar.... dayum

then Pederson and Kristoff because that would be cool
Phil Gil would be cool too but that is not happening.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
O Naesen
Lampaert
Stuyven

Pollitt, Wellens
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the Loop I'm going with:

Alaphilippe, Ballerini, Pederson
Pollitt, Wellens

Not sure what to make of the season-long pick, hard to know who's in for what. Tempted to just pick Peto for sentimental reasons. But I guess the smart money would be Wout as the #1 with Peto as plan B.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
Dekker has been amazing this UAE Tour. Considering he has no team, he has been a big hitter. He has a huge future.

Yeah, the kid is impressive. If Bennett had waited one more second to jump on Stage 4, I think Dekker might've taken it.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Finally spring classics time!

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lampaert
Pollitt
Pederson

Gents we have arrived!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WannaB wrote:

OHN
Bardet, Laporte

I'm excited to see Bardet with his new focus. I just don't see this race as one that suits him.
Quote Reply

Prev Next