Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same here.. Brilliant cyclist but his antics on the bike together with the team he rides for make it hard for me to like him.. Idk. Maybe if he rode for FDJ or AG2R it would be different đŸ˜‚
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [Tri_Joeri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think for me it's that I like what the LFF does for racing, rather than him personally. A race with him in it is likely to be more exciting than a race without him - he adds entertainment value.

And I agree on the Wout vs MvdP thing. They're both awesome, but for some reason Wout seems more likeable. I think MvdP is, maybe a little more robotic? He's like this perfect specimen but seems less human than Wout. For a tri analogy its maybe like Jan vs Sebi.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
McNulty wrote:

I'm not convinced J Ala will podium.

I agree about LFF, except he has a hell of a team to back him up.

It'd amazing to see all 3 of the stars hit that final ramp together. Like what was supposed to happen at Flanders until Alaphillipe fell off his bike.

Yes. With what looks like a dry track and the wolf pack in full cry, if he sits while other wolves go up the road and then follows others' moves, then I don't know who can beat him up the ramp. But he has to be patient. Stybar's ride will tell a lot. Maybe Ala sets up Stybar, but likely the other way around. DQS does a good job at letting the stars take turns being thee man.
MvdP won't beat him up the climb, but Wout could. And others, like Bardet and Taddy Po. I'm pulling for Brigit Bardet as he's a bike racer, not just a stage race guy.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love Bardet as a rider and I suspect I would enjoy LFF too if he didn't race for DQS and if my wife would STFU about him. LFF does certainly make any race he is in more enjoyable and represents the rainbow bands quite well, even I will admit that.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [ClayDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always think Wout seems very arrogant, but do get the T2 vibe from MvdP.

The thing that always surprises me with MvdP is I forget how big he is until I see him in the peloton. It was hilarious watching him try to find shelter behind Narvaez at KBK - I just never remember his size. Maybe it's his baby face?

"It's good enough for who it's for" - Grandpa Wayne
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

yeah i like his panache but it runs a little too close to arrogance to root for.

slightly outsider podium

wellens, kwiatkowski, asgreen

dh
brambilla, devenyns
Last edited by: buzz: Mar 5, 21 10:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
trail wrote:
McNulty wrote:

I'm not convinced J Ala will podium.

I agree about LFF, except he has a hell of a team to back him up.

It'd amazing to see all 3 of the stars hit that final ramp together. Like what was supposed to happen at Flanders until Alaphillipe fell off his bike.

Yes. With what looks like a dry track and the wolf pack in full cry, if he sits while other wolves go up the road and then follows others' moves, then I don't know who can beat him up the ramp. But he has to be patient. Stybar's ride will tell a lot. Maybe Ala sets up Stybar, but likely the other way around. DQS does a good job at letting the stars take turns being thee man.
MvdP won't beat him up the climb, but Wout could. And others, like Bardet and Taddy Po. I'm pulling for Brigit Bardet as he's a bike racer, not just a stage race guy.

Not for nothing, but we are talking about a former winner of the race (same for Kiwatek)

Also, it'll be sunny by the time they start tomorrow. Something special about the low afternoon sun as an indication that road racing season has finally began in earnest.

There will still be some iffy spots, but I don't think we're gonna get a mudfest (nor a dirt fest like we had last summer)
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@echappist I think you are correct in your assessment of the course conditions.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [flynnzu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
flynnzu wrote:
I always think Wout seems very arrogant, but do get the T2 vibe from MvdP.

The thing that always surprises me with MvdP is I forget how big he is until I see him in the peloton. It was hilarious watching him try to find shelter behind Narvaez at KBK - I just never remember his size. Maybe it's his baby face?

Yeah Wout does come across as a bit of a princess sometimes. Still, that gives him personality that maybe isn't there as much in his Dutch Terminator counterpart. I think part of it too is the underdog/comeback thing he's had going in recent years with MvdP's CX dominance and then that horrible crash in the TdF... really hard not to root for a guy in that situation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

dqs is looking scary as always. asgreen was very impressive in opening weekend, esp his "this ends here" shutdown at kbk.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [buzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Created a new Slowtwitch league on Velogames

League ID 798044510
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [ChrisC42780] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisC42780 wrote:
Created a new Slowtwitch league on Velogames

League ID 798044510
Thanks!

This will be fun, as always.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [buzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DQS/Asgreen did seem to take responsibility to shut that down. Nice flex but would have been far better had they closed the deal. Would be something if the three of them got away again, and the game of chess that ensues in final.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:
Alaphilippe, WvA, MvdP
WC: Pidcock, Pogacar

Mine will probably be a variation of that. Fuglsang in for Pogacar. WvA over Alaphilippe

Changed again

Alaphilippe, MvdP, WvA
Pidcock, GvA
Last edited by: echappist: Mar 5, 21 19:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love the women's racing, but someone needs to do something about these damn purple jerseys. I can't tell who the hell is who from aerial shots most of the time because multiple teams have such similar kits.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
van den Broek-Blaak won today with good legs and more importantly smart racing against Longo Borghini. SD Worx is outrageously strong.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As is tradition, Italy Dog off the leash has made its way in to a bike race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:

Italy Dog! it's on!

If Ala can sit up front and then attack at about 40 k and hold on then, chapeau. But this is a studly field. Lots of EF pink up front too, good to see. The other teams can't allow the Big Blue to dictate the action.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sentimental pick. Would love to see GvA have epic day.

Or not.
Last edited by: WannaB: Mar 6, 21 6:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
turdburgler wrote:

Italy Dog! it's on!

If Ala can sit up front and then attack at about 40 k and hold on then, chapeau. But this is a studly field. Lots of EF pink up front too, good to see. The other teams can't allow the Big Blue to dictate the action.

Two sightings of Italy dog thus far, both off leash.

#Simmons still showing himself and looking strong. He appears to be making America great at Strada...
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [WannaB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WannaB wrote:

Would love that too especially after a tough few years, but he is moving backward.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Greatest break of all time, right here right now. Five world champions in different disciplines, +2 Tour de France winners.
Last edited by: J7: Mar 6, 21 6:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
WannaB wrote:

Would love that too especially after a tough few years, but he is moving backward.

He hangs so tough, though. Won in Rio after repeatedly getting gapped on the climbs.

I'm going with Taddy Po with 47 to go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm always impressed that he can have issues, remain completely composed and quickly rejoin the action.

I can't tell if MvdP doesn't have the legs today or is biding his time and racing with some craft.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
#Simmons still showing himself and looking strong. He appears to be making America great at Strada...

Also, just to think, if Jose Bean were the commentator today...

In any case, good job @trail

trail wrote:
OK, getting the 3 out of the way:
Alaphillipe
WvA
MdVP

Bettiol, Mollema

Cheeky bets, Quinn "hashtag" Simmons, Tim Wellens, Emanuel Buchmann

turdburgler wrote:
I'm always impressed that he can have issues, remain completely composed and quickly rejoin the action.
I can't tell if MvdP doesn't have the legs today or is biding his time and racing with some craft.

He seemed to have been slightly caught out of position earlier. So I say pretty decent legs

Alaphilippe is isolated though
Quote Reply

Prev Next