Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
heyMartin wrote:
this after earlier saying he was interested in the cobbles classics - seems like his head is all over the place; not sure we'll see him racing this year
My guess is that he will do what Kittel did and decide it is time to move on with his life.
The last few years cannot have been a load of fun for him. It wouldn't be surprising to eventually see that he's decided, "I had some good times with cycling, but it's time to move on."

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From his twitter (1st of 4 tweets):

The team and I decided yesterday that I take a leave with an unknown time frame from our beautiful sport. For too long I feel a big pressure to perform and I feel that I always want to do the best for the team, for all the sponsors, the fans etc.

I hope he takes care of himself-sure seems like he's realized he needs it.
Last edited by: Skippy74: Jan 23, 21 9:12
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
turdburgler wrote:
Whilst disappointing from a racing perspective, I'm happy for him that he is considering his overall well being and taking care of himself.

Tom is an amazing rider, but I think IF he does not come back for the Tour it won't affect Roglic too much.

I will read with interest as to why he's pulling the plug. GT racing and training is endless hours in the saddle obviously and really dependent on staying super light. TD is not small. Guys like him and the Kruseship have broad shoulders and can (and probably should) be heavier. Staying that thin can work on you, mentally and physically. Used to be that if your shoulders were wider than your hips you weren't a "climber". Make that natural climber I guess.

And, some guys don't want to ride super dom, especially after being thee man.

I'd welcome more premier guys bulking up a bit, maybe adding some punch and doing the one day races. I've joked with one US WT guy that he should bulk up and do Roubaix, but there's too good a niche for stage race domestiques.

I would love to see some of these GC guys do that as well; gain a few kilos of muscle and smash out some bigger classics power.
Anyway, who knows what Tom is going through. I wish him well whatever it is. People deserve privacy and respect to pursue their own mental and emotional health. I hope every bit of that for Tom....and also that we get to see him smashing people at GTs again and sometimes shitting on the sides of mountains. ;)
Last edited by: turdburgler: Jan 23, 21 21:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
More bad news, the mayor of Oostende where CX Worls will be held just said that Worlds CX is up for discussion if it will go through next week or not because of a sudden peak in Covid cases due to the South-African variant making its way into Belgium..
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [Tri_Joeri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We gotta have hope...

WvA put it on MvdP pretty soundly today, sets up an intriguing race next weekend if it goes off. And Alvarado is coming onto form at just the right moment.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Indeed!

And an impressive ride from Honsinger too, coming a bit out of nowhere it seemed. Unfortunately she made a few small mistakes at the end but that must give her confidence as well.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [Tri_Joeri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri_Joeri wrote:
Indeed!

And an impressive ride from Honsinger too, coming a bit out of nowhere it seemed. Unfortunately she made a few small mistakes at the end but that must give her confidence as well.

Men's race was kinda boring.

Maybe Honsinger should try a new script at some point. She always spends most of the race working her way from ~20th up to the leaders. I'm not sure what happens to her in the first lap all the time. Today she started front row, and had good acceleration to the first corner.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
We gotta have hope...

WvA put it on MvdP pretty soundly today, sets up an intriguing race next weekend if it goes off. And Alvarado is coming onto form at just the right moment.

WvA is looking really damn good. I cannot wait for worlds next week. I'm really curious why Honsinger has to come from so far down every race. She is clearly strong, but whatever is going on causes a lot of wasted energy making it back to the front.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a little off-topic but while awaiting for next weekend to get here, bike practice is going to require Zwifting (winter finally arrived in Bend). What events or races are you guys liking? Since I hate doing high intensity, figure this will be a good way to get a healthy dose of it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
This is a little off-topic but while awaiting for next weekend to get here, bike practice is going to require Zwifting (winter finally arrived in Bend). What events or races are you guys liking? Since I hate doing high intensity, figure this will be a good way to get a healthy dose of it.

echappist and I are on the Slowtwitch B's team on the Zwift Racing League, which has been pretty fun. Combination of mass start and TTT (one race per week for 8 weeks, entering week 3). I'd invite you, but our team is a bit full-up and mid-season (and you might be more of an A?). I'm not that aware of what other series are good on Zwift...something of a dilettante with Zwift. I have found that a lot of the races that use the Crit City course tend to be a reasonable approximation of American crit racing, intensity-wise. Solid hour, with a good kicker up the hill.

That said, I really want to get back to IRL racing, and soon.
Last edited by: trail: Jan 24, 21 20:11
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:

echappist and I are on the Slowtwitch B's team on the Zwift Racing League, which has been pretty fun. Combination of mass start and TTT (one race per week for 8 weeks, entering week 3). I'd invite you, but our team is a bit full-up and mid-season (and you might be more of an A?). I'm not that aware of what other series are good on Zwift...something of a dilettante with Zwift. I have found that a lot of the races that use the Crit City course tend to be a reasonable approximation of American crit racing, intensity-wise. Solid hour, with a good kicker up the hill.

That said, I really want to get back to IRL racing, and soon.

TFC on Mondays (although they are scored as point races) and the Zwift NL races on Wednesdays are both solid. If one doesnt mind all classes starting together, the JETT races on Tuesday afternoons.

Look for the ones with highish participation from the previous week (using zwiftpower.com)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:

I really should give Zwift a go. My initial foray in to Zwifting did not go well. I pretty much ruined every workout by constantly going far too hard. The peer pressure got to me. :)
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
heyMartin wrote:
this after earlier saying he was interested in the cobbles classics - seems like his head is all over the place; not sure we'll see him racing this year

I sort of see this as a career killing move. I can't imagine a team director ever hiring him with the nagging suspicion that your multimillion dollar GC guy is going to decide to pull the plug on the season 2 weeks before the Tour. You would structure the whole team around supporting a guy of that caliber so it would be a huge gamble to hire him again. My guess is that he will do what Kittel did and decide it is time to move on with his life.

I suppose he has an agreement with Jumbo to comes back, but I bet they start losing interest in about 2 weeks. If down the road he decides that bike racing is really his passion, I would expect it to be at some place like EF that would more tolerant of a rider with multiple interests.
I saw an interview with him that says he wants to become a MD. If that's truly the case he needs to start working on that soon.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [TriDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recall him discussing that years ago in an interview. Is there another mention about it recently?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
I recall him discussing that years ago in an interview. Is there another mention about it recently?

I can't find it but he was riding for Sunweb during the interview. So it was in the last few years.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [TriDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's the one I recall. It was during his Giro win I think.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
We gotta have hope...

I'm not sure I'd go that far. MvdP flatted and that's what caused the initial gap. WvA had the power to push the gap back out when MvdP brought it back to within 8 seconds, but I'm sure MvdP burned a lot of matches getting close. I think it would have been a close race today without the flat, and I think the WC should be a lot of fun to watch.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [ttusomeone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ttusomeone wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:
We gotta have hope...

I'm not sure I'd go that far. MvdP flatted and that's what caused the initial gap. WvA had the power to push the gap back out when MvdP brought it back to within 8 seconds, but I'm sure MvdP burned a lot of matches getting close. I think it would have been a close race today without the flat, and I think the WC should be a lot of fun to watch.

I agree - MvP was down 21 sec after he switched out the bike with the flat...he brought that back to 11 sec, then had to let off the gas likely due to the big effort. Gap went back out to 18-19 sec...which he then brought back to 8 sec after another big effort. He was in striking distance at the start of the penultimate lap before he took a spill and seemly pulled the plug and soft pedaled the rest of the way.

I don't call this a thumping at all by WvA. He rode really well and clean, but it would likely have been a very good battle had MvP not flatted at early on. MvP won the day before with ~10 sec gap that he defended for a number of laps. What is clear is that WvA and MvP are in a completely different race than everyone else.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [Twotter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure the flat caused the initial gap--like the day prior when Van Aert had a technical mishap and got gapped. Difference is Van Aert pushed him all the way to line with a .07 margin of victory, while yesterday the gap went out to more than a minute with it looking like MvdP overcooked it on chase.

I'd pin MvdP as the fav next weekend but should be a helluva battle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Indoor riding still sucks, Zwift just makes it suck a little less. My old coach gave me a couple workouts to try out on it and the structure definitely makes the time pass faster (and feel productive).

@echanpist - thanks for the tips on those races. I'm not interested in a league or any regularity--as soon as the snow melts I'm back outside. Haven't raced a crit in long time so what the heck... Might do one up Alpe du Zwift for kicks too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes it does in general. I've really appreciated my all road bikes this year as they've allowed me to almost always be outside.

I had to be on the trainer tonight, though I was re-watching Stage 5 of the Dauphine from last year. What a race that was. It certainly helped the time pass a bit more quickly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
Yes it does in general. I've really appreciated my all road bikes this year as they've allowed me to almost always be outside.

I had to be on the trainer tonight, though I was re-watching Stage 5 of the Dauphine from last year. What a race that was. It certainly helped the time pass a bit more quickly.

Funny. Working stretch of overnights past week plus. Have been rewatching the Tour in the background to pass the down the time. Last night was stage 12 when they road through Raymond Poulidor's hometown. Which then reminded me what a genetic cyborg MvdP is. I would love to hook him up with gadgets/wires and just study.

This weekend should be great. I know Wout said it isn't all about MvdP, but with last year's recovery and then Flanders, have to think he has been the one more laser focused on this.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [WannaB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm excited about this weekend too. I have a very biased preference toward Wout so I am hoping for his victory.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Course preview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3HUD763cyY.
The biggest "fly over" I've seen in my life, dropping straight into sand.
Last edited by: jstonebarger: Jan 25, 21 16:17
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [jstonebarger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jstonebarger wrote:
Course preview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3HUD763cyY.
The biggest "fly over" I've seen in my life, dropping straight into sand.

Dang, that's like a ski jump!
Quote Reply

Prev Next