Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
Is Quinn Simmons racing today? I'm curious how he will be used this season and if he will get his own chances at all.

He did race! I was looking through results and was surprised to see his name--10th for the race and top Trek rider...
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [Skippy74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skippy74 wrote:
turdburgler wrote:
Is Quinn Simmons racing today? I'm curious how he will be used this season and if he will get his own chances at all.

He did race! I was looking through results and was surprised to see his name--10th for the race and top Trek rider...

I think you might be look at some other results? I don't see him on the startlist or the results.
Last edited by: trail: Feb 27, 21 8:28
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Skippy74 wrote:
turdburgler wrote:

I think you might be look at some other results? I don't see him on the startlist or the results.

Faun-Ardeche Classic---sorry if you thought I meant Omloop
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah, gotcha.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Meanwhile, over on the Sand Pebbles, Pogacar wraps up an very workman like week.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ditto. Kristoff is the man.

also, enjoying some crow here, I did not foresee Phil Gil getting a Top 5. hilarious

2021 Results
1 BALLERINI, Davide (DQT)
2 STEWART, Jake (GFC)
3 VANMARCKE, Sep (ISN)
4 HAUSSLER, Heinrich (TBV)
5 GILBERT, Philippe (LTS)
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dsmallwood wrote:
ditto. Kristoff is the man.

also, enjoying some crow here, I did not foresee Phil Gil getting a Top 5. hilarious

2021 Results
1 BALLERINI, Davide (DQT)
2 STEWART, Jake (GFC)
3 VANMARCKE, Sep (ISN)
4 HAUSSLER, Heinrich (TBV)
5 GILBERT, Philippe (LTS)

Or Vanmarcke getting 3rd in a bunch sprint! Good to see he just didn't throw in the towel after the strongman break was caught.

I ruined watching the women's race for myself. While cueing up the replay I accidentally caught one frame of the rainbow bands solo with like 13 km to go. I know how that script ends. I sighed and forwarded to the last km to see how the fight for scraps went.
Last edited by: trail: Feb 27, 21 12:08
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good race from Sep and he seems happier than he has been in a long time. Wasn't originally scheduled to race Kuurne tomorrow but will now be racing it also.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

man this looked good for sep! and isn't het volk the one that's kind of bad luck to win anyways?
very happy to see haussler up there too.
Last edited by: buzz: Feb 27, 21 14:04
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Benv wrote:
Good race from Sep and he seems happier than he has been in a long time. Wasn't originally scheduled to race Kuurne tomorrow but will now be racing it also.

Happy for him and looks like this team has some good mojo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know about you guys, but I'm a bit disappointed by the way the racing shook out. Maybe the lack of wind factored into it, but I'd have expected bigger separation on the Muur. Instead, the pack just largely stayed together.

On the older OHN course (the one last used in 2017, holy shit that's a while ago), the finishing 60 kms was nowhere near as hard: last hill topped out with 40 km to go, and last cobbled section ended with 25 km to go; however, it made for a more engaging watch.

On this course, we are treated to a bunch of supposed obstacles, yet they are nothing more than a series of devil-takes-the-hindmost events rather than springboards that encourages attacking. Sorta like the old arrangement of the Amstel hills. Maybe this course really needs to be over 250 km long before the hills have its intended effect. And certainly, the 2018 edition almost ended in a group gallop as well. I hate to say this, but I'm actually somewhat glad I didn't catch this live.

At least at Kuurne, one has no expectation that the break would stick, but yet quite a few of the last few editions ended being won from a break (Stuyven in 2016, Sagan in 2017, Jungels in 2019, and Asgreen last year).

In any case, tomorrow will probably end up in a bunch gallop again (low winds).

M vdP, Demare, Degenkolb
Hodeg and M Pedersen
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
I don't know about you guys, but I'm a bit disappointed by the way the racing shook out. Maybe the lack of wind factored into it, but I'd have expected bigger separation on the Muur. Instead, the pack just largely stayed together.

On the older OHN course (the one last used in 2017, holy shit that's a while ago), the finishing 60 kms was nowhere near as hard: last hill topped out with 40 km to go, and last cobbled section ended with 25 km to go; however, it made for a more engaging watch.

On this course, we are treated to a bunch of supposed obstacles, yet they are nothing more than a series of devil-takes-the-hindmost events rather than springboards that encourages attacking. Sorta like the old arrangement of the Amstel hills. Maybe this course really needs to be over 250 km long before the hills have its intended effect. And certainly, the 2018 edition almost ended in a group gallop as well. I hate to say this, but I'm actually somewhat glad I didn't catch this live.

At least at Kuurne, one has no expectation that the break would stick, but yet quite a few of the last few editions ended being won from a break (Stuyven in 2016, Sagan in 2017, Jungels in 2019, and Asgreen last year).

In any case, tomorrow will probably end up in a bunch gallop again (low winds).

M vdP, Demare, Degenkolb
Hodeg and M Pedersen

Concur. I thought for sure there would be some attacks around 10k or so but its early season and guys are racing back to back, etc.
I miss Jungle Bob. His long ranger in 2019 was a thing of beauty.
It'll probably be a bunch but if a 5,6 guy not dominated by wolves power break with Mads, Pollitt, MvdP and the like get away, that would be cool.

MvdP, Kristoff, Demare,
Diggin cobbles, Sep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was a somewhat disappointed Omloop. It had it's moments but the finale was lacking, though one can appreciate DQS doing what they do.

For KBK, let's go with Kristoff getting his vengeance after today:

Kristoff, MvdP, Pedersen

Hodeg, SK Andersen
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [ClayDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems like we all agree that the Omloop was a mild disappointment.

I have to say, though - DQS really bossed the leadout. Asgreen really strung it out, and then blocked effectively when he pulled off. Nothing dirty, just slowed everybody up a bit in the corner. Then Senechal took over and drove it until Ballerini finished it off. There was no coming around that train in those corners; it's clear they had it planned that way and they executed perfectly.

And remember, this is not their A team for leadouts. But damn, it's a helluva B team.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:

I have to say, though - DQS really bossed the leadout. Asgreen really strung it out, and then blocked effectively when he pulled off. Nothing dirty, just slowed everybody up a bit in the corner. Then Senechal took over and drove it until Ballerini finished it off. There was no coming around that train in those corners; it's clear they had it planned that way and they executed perfectly.

And remember, this is not their A team for leadouts. But damn, it's a helluva B team.

I guess whatever is good for Dudes-in-Knicks is bad for the enjoyment of cycling fans

Watching Stannard rolling a trio of DQS riders (or even riders from other teams beating DQS riders, like how Vanmarcke, Stuyven, and Paolini won) is so much more fun, if nothing more than watching Don Lefevre go full apoplectic.

Yes, I'm essentially hate-watching, and this attitude is not very becoming, but until WvA and M vdP show up, DQS is the 800-pound gorilla
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We'll see how many heads MvdP is in tomorrow. I'm wagering DSM plots hardest to neutralize.

Asgreen, SKA, Kung
Eekhoff, Coquard
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [WannaB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
King Kung is an interesting pick. If he makes the selection and the group lets him go long I could see him winning. I would really enjoy seeing him take a win here.

MvdP does make people react poorly so often because of their fear of him. Nice flyer on Coquard as well. He looked strong yesterday and was crafty with his efforts and positioning. He always seems to be there or thereabouts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
eb wrote:

I guess whatever is good for Dudes-in-Knicks is bad for the enjoyment of cycling fans

Watching Stannard rolling a trio of DQS riders (or even riders from other teams beating DQS riders, like how Vanmarcke, Stuyven, and Paolini won) is so much more fun, if nothing more than watching Don Lefevre go full apoplectic.

Yes, I'm essentially hate-watching, and this attitude is not very becoming, but until WvA and M vdP show up, DQS is the 800-pound gorilla

I'm the same at this point with DQS as you are. Its the same boring shite as the Sky train of old and my like of Lefevre is right up there with that of Brailsford. [/sarcasm] Although I do love Sammy Ben, I'm just tired of their style!

On a lighter note, my friend sent me a clip of the North American feed for the Faun-Ardeche Classic where the announcer proudly states that EF was riding for "David Bettiol, winner of the Tour of Flanders." I didn't realize Alberto had a name change. ;)
Last edited by: turdburgler: Feb 28, 21 3:11
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't believe no one mentioned Yates faceplanting yesterday at UAE tour. That was nasty and the shitheads felt a need to replay it over and over followed by shoving the camera in his face constantly after he restarted. In general I can do without the gratuitous replays of injurious events. American football and football feeds here do the same thing; its distasteful and disgusting. A replay is enough. Anything more is just poor form IMO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
anyone else not getting KBK via GCN Race Pass this morning in the states?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A friend in the States told me he had to use his VPN to watch our Eurosport feed because all GCN+ videos are down, live streams and replays.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
A friend in the States told me he had to use his VPN to watch our Eurosport feed because all GCN+ videos are down, live streams and replays.

thank you, i thought GCN was the real fix but, first chink in the armour
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a few friends who don't know how to use a VPN. I told them if they can't watch it in the next 30 minutes I'll set up a stream from Eurosport to my Plex server and share the links with them and here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
turdburgler wrote:

thank you, i thought GCN was the real fix but, first chink in the armour

I feel for you. After these races were cancelled last year, purchasing a service and not being able to watch Classics this year is unacceptable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tuned into KBK with 80K to go thinking I'd half watch for an hour before it got interesting. Then Mathieu got antsy.
Quote Reply

Prev Next