Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
*Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers*
Quote | Reply
New year new thread! There are so many intriguing story lines.

It looks like Hirschi did confirm with UAE today.
Last edited by: turdburgler: Jan 9, 21 9:48
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yay, cycling season!

I have no idea if links from here https://cyclocross.social/...ional-championships/ will work or so, but already tomorrow most national championships in cyclocross (those nations running such this covid season) are run.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [slow_bob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
God bless Cross for getting me through the winters!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks for starting this - hoping 2021 we get to see a full schedule
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for getting this going.

WvA wins Belgian title. Hirschi officially confirmed at UAE and will team with Kristoff and Trentin for cobbled classics and Pogacar for Ardennes. Have to imagine he’ll support Pog at Tour as well; should be a much stronger squad this year.

TD aims for Flanders. He and WvA will be quite a duo.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
..and Riccardo Ricco doesn't want to be injected with who knows what. :)

Slightly off-topic, but that was a good bit of journalistic comedy.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:

If there’s ever someone who knows a thing or two about proper refrigeration...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:

WvA wins Belgian title. Hirschi officially confirmed at UAE and will team with Kristoff and Trentin for cobbled classics and Pogacar for Ardennes. Have to imagine he’ll support Pog at Tour as well; should be a much stronger squad this year.

Another year of health for WvA is getting frightening. If he takes even more power and explosiveness back to the road; YIKES.

Sagan's schedule looks insane too. No way he makes it through that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
His reluctance is sort of understandable, what with all of the experience he has injecting sh*t and not always with best outcome.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
His reluctance is sort of understandable, what with all of the experience he has injecting sh*t and not always with best outcome.

But he still trusts "his doctors!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With a Ronde-esque worlds... holy hell that’ll be incredible. Can’t imagine Sagan not having a laser focus on that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:

My guess is Diesel Dumoulin gets dropped the first big attack on a short cobled climb..

Interested to see what happens to Sagan, with Politt on the team it puts some more pressure on him to perform again.

Belgian championships CX was impressive to watch. Van Aert was really motoring when he tried to drop Sweeck off of his wheel. He said he barely slept for 6 nights because of the birth of his son Georges, and he stayed at the hospital for 3 nights with his wife and child. Half way through the race he was Ă  bloc apparently, out of energy. It will be interesting to see how the battle at Worlds in a few weeks will go.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [Tri_Joeri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That he was so bad off yet still closed the deal shows how far he and MvdP are ahead of the rest. Sometimes really emptying the tank like that also creates a fitness lift. Can't wait for worlds!
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
trail wrote:

If there’s ever someone who knows a thing or two about proper refrigeration...

He does make and sell gelato nowadays so maybe he actually does (but I know what you mean) ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interestingly some leaks have come out of Sunweb / DSM. Limited access to soigneurs, forced written homework and some other very strange tidbits. Apparently they "loosened" some of that up at le Tour. If that is true no wonder why they hemorrhage good riders. Supposedly Hirschi bar had already inked a deal for the following year at UAE and either it slipped to DSM management or he told them; regardless that was the reason for termination.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri_Joeri wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:

My guess is Diesel Dumoulin gets dropped the first big attack on a short cobled climb..

Interested to see what happens to Sagan, with Politt on the team it puts some more pressure on him to perform again.

Belgian championships CX was impressive to watch. Van Aert was really motoring when he tried to drop Sweeck off of his wheel. He said he barely slept for 6 nights because of the birth of his son Georges, and he stayed at the hospital for 3 nights with his wife and child. Half way through the race he was Ă  bloc apparently, out of energy. It will be interesting to see how the battle at Worlds in a few weeks will go.

So who has prediction for CX World Championships this year?

Could Honsinger take out Alvarado? Is anyone going to be with MvdP or WvA?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:

I finally saw that you had put a link in with your comments to a new article. I assumed it was just a joke about his past. That is absolutely rich and ridiculous coming from him. Since he will defer when his time to vaccinate comes along, let us hope that he is immediately moved to the back of the line so that anyone else in Italy who needs and wants that vaccine will get it first.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My guess is Van Aert, Van der Poel, Toon Aerts since he really was motoring the 2nd half of the Belgian championships and I think the course suits him. I think he can go with them until both of them really put on the afterburners.

For the women I don't think Alverado will extend her title.. If she can minimize her mistakes, Brand followed by Betsema and then Alverado.
Last edited by: Tri_Joeri: Jan 12, 21 5:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
really rich considering his nickname of 'the Cobra' ... snake
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:

Could Honsinger take out Alvarado? Is anyone going to be with MvdP or WvA?

Honsinger seems to excel on slow courses - this one will have some mud and sand. And at least one ramp....but we'll have to see what it really looks like. I'll put her 3rd, though...Brand, Alvarado, Honsinger.

Men, just can't bet against the favorite. MdVP, WvA. Third is tricky. But I'll pull for Iserbyt. Always feel for the "full time" CXers who just get steamrolled once the two superstar roadies show up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri_Joeri wrote:
My guess is Van Aert, Van der Poel, Toon Aerts since he really was motoring the 2nd half of the Belgian championships and I think the course suits him. I think he can go with them until both of them really put on the afterburners.

For the women I don't think Alverado will extend her title.. If she can minimize her mistakes, Brand followed by Betsema and then Alverado.

I really like your men's picks. I agree whole heartedly. I think the course suits Van Aert.

I actually agree with trail that this course potentially suits Honsinger. We've seen Alverado not do as well here. I'm going Brand, Honsinger, Alverado

Sorry for stealing most of your picks ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree on it being a course that suits Van Aert. Would like to see him take this round vs MvdP.

Gotta go for Honsinger—that’d be amazing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No worries, that confirms that I made the right picks :p

I'm excited about Honsinger too, I don't think anyone who regularly watches cx around here actually knew about her before this years World Cups. Or at least I didn't, I only knew Compton wasn't the US champ anymore.
She really did good so far, but she seems to get pushed backwards quite quickly on the first lap due to all the pushing and shoving for position and then has to steadily motor back to the front. So I guess it will depend on how the others want to race. If it's more evenly paced and then continuous attacks the last 2 laps for instance, I think she has a good shot at a podium. If it's chaotic and fast from the start for the first few laps, she might have some more trouble it seems.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is certainly a valid observation and one of her knocks. She needs to start better and position better so she isn't just slugging it out to be in contention at the end.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like Evenepoel's comeback has hit a bit of a hickup and he is slowing it down due to lingering issues with pelvic pain. I'm hoping we get to see that lad healthy.
Quote Reply

Prev Next