Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My thoughts as well. Ganna has acquitted himself quite well as a bike handler. It looked like he just cruised the corners and laid down power in aero when there was no real danger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWJj29zzkg8

Bike handling @ 1:30 ish.

Who needs it when you've got other things? I think he still won the TT. #tothegills
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWJj29zzkg8

Menchov sighting! My biggest takeaway is I'm glad we live in the age of hi-def now.
Last edited by: trail: Feb 7, 21 10:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ha ha, true. When you have that kind of motor you can get away with cutting corners.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apparently we’ll have to wait until next year to see Top Ganna unleashed on spring classics. Giro and Olympics this year.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did that come out today? It's disappointing but understandable.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Apparently we’ll have to wait until next year to see Top Ganna unleashed on spring classics. Giro and Olympics this year.

Disappointing, but understandable given that he's on a predominantly Grand Tour team.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The UCI is such rubbish. The things they do in the guise of safety is complete and utter bullshit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
The UCI is such rubbish. The things they do in the guise of safety is complete and utter bullshit.

Let us know what you really think of this group of utter pisspots here

I wonder if Hirschi would have had as much success, if he didn't employ the Hirschi bar.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:

Reading over the actual changes, some of those seem substantive attempts to improve safety. Though a lot of it is vague.

For example on what's apparently the rule to tell organizers to not put bollards in the middle of a bunch sprint:

"safety manager shall pay special attention to the final section of the race route,
and the final hundredth meters before the finish in particular and shall ensure that the
safety conditions are observed. This is especially important for events likely to finish in
bunch sprints."

What's "special attention?" What's the penalty to the organizer if there are crap barriers or bollards, and a crash is caused?

The matrix of penalties at the bottom doesn't seem to apply to organizers.
Last edited by: trail: Feb 8, 21 10:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guessing it's more due to his Olympic ambitions, which means full gas for Giro with time to recover and reset and not be too taxed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
turdburgler wrote:

Reading over the actual changes, some of those seem substantive attempts to improve safety. Though a lot of it is vague.

For example on what's apparently the rule to tell organizers to not put bollards in the middle of a bunch sprint:

"safety manager shall pay special attention to the final section of the race route,
and the final hundredth meters before the finish in particular and shall ensure that the
safety conditions are observed. This is especially important for events likely to finish in
bunch sprints."

What's "special attention?" What's the penalty to the organizer if there are crap barriers or bollards, and a crash is caused?

The matrix of penalties at the bottom doesn't seem to apply to organizers.

Nutty.
I guess I could see the aero tuck ban but arms on bars? C'mon. If there is real data showing the forearms on bars as causing wrecks, then yeah. But I've not seen it. The position is usually employed by the guy pulling, or a solo attack. Just doesn't make sense.
Time would be better spent scrutinizing proposed courses and not allowing dangerous sections that usually are contrived to showcase local scenery, businesses, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did anyone watch the Australian men's road race from the weekend by chance? That was absolutely wild and fun. Maybe one of the better one day races in the past year (seriously).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
Did anyone watch the Australian men's road race from the weekend by chance? That was absolutely wild and fun. Maybe one of the better one day races in the past year (seriously).

i will now, thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And a decent lineup for Provence starting in just two-day’s time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
turdburgler wrote:

i will now, thanks

You will have to report back. I watched it just because it was available and it ended up being captivating. It was commented on quite well and the racing was full on and unpredictable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where did you see it?
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [jstonebarger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jstonebarger wrote:
Where did you see it?

https://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/

Use a VPN
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will do. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [jstonebarger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Durbo. Brilliant.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That final 50 km people were just throwing punches the entire time. I would never have guessed the winner on the day. Per his interview after the race, I'm going to guess the winner is still buying those free drinks for his boys and will be for awhile.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2021 Cycling Thread *Spoilers* [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In other news, according to Ganna's Strava on his stage 4 breakaway win, he opened his lead over the breakaway companions with 5+ minutes in the mid-500 watt range and the totality of his solo was around 12 1/2 minutes at ~490 watts. He's pretty decent at this bike thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's what 5.9-6.0w/kg if his 82.1kg weight is correct currently?? Decent seems like a fair assessment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
mid-500 watt range and the totality of his solo was around 12 1/2 minutes at ~490 watts. He's pretty decent at this bike thing.

OK, normally I'm pretty jaded at "look at the amazing pro power!" articles.

But that is truly bananas.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In an interview after the race he mentioned his sensations were okay and that he was a long way off of form. Makes sense. He came across the line with his fingers in his nose. If this is any indication from him last year, he does have some headroom in his form.

Quote Reply

Prev Next