Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Black downtube bottle [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some fluid as a result of bumps or filling, which is generally expected, is not the same as a lot of fluid, because the moment you turn the bottle upside down with the valve open, the liquid starts flowing freely. Which is a result of flawed design and a lack of a self-sealing valve.

Your issue is not the opposite, it is unfortunately just an additional issue, which proves that this bottle was designed as an afterthought.
Quote Reply
First Tri Bike [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just ordered my first tri bike.... a Trek Speed Concept. Went for a fitting and should have my bike in hand in a couple weeks.

Im still relatively new to tri/cycling and so the question is basically, I don't know what I don't know! It seems like the majority of users have put on a number of aftermarket items aero bars, hydration, saddles etc. I understand to some extent its probably personal preference but are there any suggestions beyond that? highly suggested changes? It seems like aero bars are the biggest difference I notice that almost invariably are not stock, are the OEM bars just not that great?

Any words of wisdom / suggestions are much appreciated
Last edited by: KC_All_Day: May 6, 24 18:23
Quote Reply
Re: First Tri Bike [KC_All_Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
contact points are very personal. And over time (20 years now for me) then you find what works, and then kinda get resistant to change.

So on mine, I didn't get on with the stock saddle, and was keen to replicate my old saddle. The bars, personally based on a fair bit of trainer and 3 outdoor rides (sadly a medical event has curtailed my outdoor riding for a the year) then the stock bars I'm finding very comfortable. Now this was compared to a 2008 era set of straight ski poles on my Argon, and doesn't speak to the potential additional aero benfits. I did swap the pads for the cushy pads, again as I did that on the argon and it made a huge positive difference to control and comfort.

I guess you can think of this as the same as aftermarket wheels/tyres and spoilers on sporty cars. The stock cars are good, but in some cases people like to change things to have a unique version of the car, some to adapt to their specific use case.

As this is your first tri bike, there's a good chance that you will want to adapt your position a few times, so the stock bars are pretty good for this. The saddle, that's a case of only change if it doesn't work for you. You can quickly spend a lot of money in pursuit of a saddle that works for you in new saddles and adjusting the fit around that.
Quote Reply
Re: First Tri Bike [KC_All_Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Saddle and cups/pads are the biggest things. You will figure out over time what saddle will work for you.

I would tell anyone to change the stock cups/pads to something with more surface area and better padding (eg; 51 speedshop). I don't know how anyone rides the stock cup/pads unless you enjoy being uncomfortable.

blog
Quote Reply

Prev Next