Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I know everyone is very excited about his 50 minute swim

I hear you. It's like the 3hr55 bike sounds amazing until you realize it's done on 300watts. That was a FAST course. They needed Wurf there to do it in 3:50 :-)
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jan said he averaged 308 watts. I doubt Wurf can do much more than that for 4 hours.
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:

You can do some back of the napkin calculations to see it all makes sense

4h 180km = 45km/h. For a total mass of 80kg, flat course, no wind, crr = 0.004 (wet), guessing an air density, a 0.230 cda will give 300watts
5 minutes slower, same watts would be a cda of 0.245.

I'm not sure I agree - sure the calculations are correct, but this all makes the assumption they both put the power out in exactly the same way.

Cycling isn't all about power, it's also about skill - how well you corner, change gears, distribute your power uphill and downhill, how you accelerate and decelerate.

For example, watching the broadcast, Jan was noticeably faster on the corners and also took a better line. He does a lot of riding outside, Sanders seems to do a lot inside, and that must make a difference. The course, whilst flat and relatively straight, still had a few corners and false flats to make this a factor.

I feel we become obsessed with tiny gains in aero but forget the skill element. There's a lot of finesse to good cycling, it's not just mashing the pedals.
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [bluefever] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lionel also rode that ramp turnaround quite gingerly. If it had been dry he probably would have taken it at pace and slingshotted through.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jan took that corner really well in the rain, a couple of times even in aero...must have been the practice on the pump bike track he donated to Girona

I thought Lionel was going to master the turn with all the velodrome miles he did for the hour record, but he almost flew over the top that first time then seemed quite shy about the following attempts
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [Lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lionel is admittedly not the best bike handler, which is the reason for how cautious he took it. But if it was dry I'm fairly sure he'd have attempted to take it at pace.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I couldn’t agree with you more. I did a quick normalization of the times. Lionel’s swim in 2019 Kona was a lot better than his swim at this race. His percent behind (total time behind as a percentage of his overall time) was 9% at Kona and 16% at this race. You’d expect with a wetsuit (wetsuits give a bigger bump to the slower swimmers) and a cable to swim straight that the gap would have been tighter. But it just shows how much the draft can play a role in helping everyone swim faster. With that being said Frodeno’s time really wasn’t that great either in comparison to his Kona swim.

Tim

http://www.magnoliamasters.com
http://www.snappingtortuga.com
http://www.swimeasyspeed.com
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [SnappingT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SnappingT wrote:
I couldn’t agree with you more. I did a quick normalization of the times. Lionel’s swim in 2019 Kona was a lot better than his swim at this race. His percent behind (total time behind as a percentage of his overall time) was 9% at Kona and 16% at this race. You’d expect with a wetsuit (wetsuits give a bigger bump to the slower swimmers) and a cable to swim straight that the gap would have been tighter. But it just shows how much the draft can play a role in helping everyone swim faster. With that being said Frodeno’s time really wasn’t that great either in comparison to his Kona swim.

Tim

Does Jan have any packs pulling him in Kona? I can't remember if Lionel swam in a pack in 2019. But it would make sense that closes the gap far more for Lionel than a rope and wetsuit can
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [bluefever] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluefever wrote:
I'm not sure I agree - sure the calculations are correct, but this all makes the assumption they both put the power out in exactly the same way.

Cycling isn't all about power, it's also about skill - how well you corner, change gears, distribute your power uphill and downhill, how you accelerate and decelerate.

You said you may not agree even if the calculation is correct? The point of that exercise isn't to give precise CdA differences but gets you very well in the ballpark. You mention a bunch of additional factors like cornering speed, hills, etc. How significant do you think these could possibly be on that course. Think what percent of the time they were just cruising in aero (95%?). That would make the CdA difference estimate pretty close.
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, he came out of the water in a pack of 8. If I remember right, Amberger pulled him along for most of the swim. Lionel came out of the water with a group of around 14.

http://www.magnoliamasters.com
http://www.snappingtortuga.com
http://www.swimeasyspeed.com
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [SnappingT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lionel shares his actual thoughts on TRI BATTLE...

Pretty amazing he had his best ironman of the last 6 under these extreme pressure conditions
Last edited by: Lacticturkey: Jul 28, 21 8:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
bluefever wrote:

You said you may not agree even if the calculation is correct? .

Yes, I think there's more to speed in outdoor cycling than cda and Watts. That doesn't make a cda calculation incorrect. I think there is a big skill element.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The difference on the ramp was a clear example of that, but for sure many factors
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [Lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lacticturkey wrote:

Pretty amazing he had his best ironman of the last 6 under these extreme pressure conditions

Thank you.

There's something weird about these videos, it's uncomfortable watching them.

He's talking as if he has this physiological issue in the heat that he needs to solve, yet in 2017 he came 2nd.

Every time he has a bad performance, he seems to obsess over the 'one thing' that suddenly is to blame. He seems entirely isolated in solving it.

I feel bad for him. He now has the real risk of not going to Kona: says he doesn't care (I don't believe that for on second), after exploding in IM CdA he gets flown a few thousand miles to be a performing monkey and stroke Frodeno's ego, heaps huge pressure on himself with videos like these, etc.

I felt sad watching. He looks like the weight of the world is on him.

Go home, take some time out, stop with the videos and get happy again. He hardly ever smiles.

Kona without him will be worse off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bluefever wrote:
Lacticturkey wrote:

Thank you.

There's something weird about these videos, it's uncomfortable watching them.

He's talking as if he has this physiological issue in the heat that he needs to solve, yet in 2017 he came 2nd.

Every time he has a bad performance, he seems to obsess over the 'one thing' that suddenly is to blame. He seems entirely isolated in solving it.

I feel bad for him. He now has the real risk of not going to Kona: says he doesn't care (I don't believe that for on second), after exploding in IM CdA he gets flown a few thousand miles to be a performing monkey and stroke Frodeno's ego, heaps huge pressure on himself with videos like these, etc.

I felt sad watching. He looks like the weight of the world is on him.

Go home, take some time out, stop with the videos and get happy again. He hardly ever smiles.

Kona without him will be worse off.

Wow I bet you're fun at parties.

On the topic of feeling sad, I feel sad reading these sorts of posts. If that was your take away then maybe Lionel isn't the one who needs a time out.
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [WHITEJM74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WHITEJM74 wrote:

On the topic of feeling sad, I feel sad reading these sorts of posts. If that was your take away then maybe Lionel isn't the one who needs a time out.

Yeah, you're right, I do, and I'll take it.

I forgot about the Lionel love in we have here.

It's like a sad reality show.

Thanks for the advice though!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bluefever wrote:
WHITEJM74 wrote:

Yeah, you're right, I do, and I'll take it.

I forgot about the Lionel love in we have here.

It's like a sad reality show.

Thanks for the advice though!

The negative nancys are as fruitful on here as the Lionel fanboys. It's unbelievable watching you people cherry pick the negatives in his videos. It's like children picking at a scab.

Enjoy your time out.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Lacticturkey [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: Lacticturkey: Jul 28, 21 11:07
Quote | Reply
Imagine that, professionalism and attention to detail. Frodeno has a physio that lives with him for crying out loud! It is a two gold medalist household! Obsessively scribbling every single workout or doing calculations to the nth degree is not exactly this type of attention to detail. Keeping a manchild as your Bundini Brown may be great for YouTube but is not the same kind of team. Frodeno is a one of a kind and maybe Sanders does learn from observing and though he may not close the gap to Frodeno he can widen the gap to the chasing pack, many of which are aging, and the up and comers like Long. Keeping DTD is a must to maintain continuity and to progress off of that rather than self-sabotage. I wish him luck as he has plenty of prime years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bluefever wrote:
I feel bad for him [..] to be a performing monkey and stroke Frodeno's ego

That's quite the post you've got there. The saddest thing in this thread is seeing just how miserable some people can get.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
bluefever wrote:

That's quite the post you've got there. The saddest thing in this thread is seeing just how miserable some people can get.

Looking likely the Norwegians will be going for Frankfurt rather than Copenhagen so potentially good for Lionel.
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [Adman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Adman wrote:
BigBoyND wrote:
bluefever wrote:

Looking likely the Norwegians will be going for Frankfurt rather than Copenhagen so potentially good for Lionel.

Have the Norwegians proven they can compete at the full distance? Serious question.
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [WHITEJM74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WHITEJM74 wrote:
Adman wrote:
BigBoyND wrote:
bluefever wrote:

Have the Norwegians proven they can compete at the full distance? Serious question.

This is a fair question because everyone said that at Gomez moved up he would destroy everyone. Keep in mind Gomez completely toyed around with Jan at 70.3 WC in 2014, dabbling around in 70.3 off ITU training. As we know that did not materialize.

However Blu's heavier frame is a good thing for the long IM TT and his engine is big enough for that frame on the run. Blu is a faster swimming and running variant of Lionel (and I believe slightly heavier).

However you cut it, I think Jan got an ally on the bike in Kona assuming Blu nails it in 2 weeks in Frankfurt and gets the KQ.
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [lyla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lyla wrote:
Imagine that, professionalism and attention to detail. Frodeno has a physio that lives with him for crying out loud! It is a two gold medalist household! Obsessively scribbling every single workout or doing calculations to the nth degree is not exactly this type of attention to detail. Keeping a manchild as your Bundini Brown may be great for YouTube but is not the same kind of team. Frodeno is a one of a kind and maybe Sanders does learn from observing and though he may not close the gap to Frodeno he can widen the gap to the chasing pack, many of which are aging, and the up and comers like Long. Keeping DTD is a must to maintain continuity and to progress off of that rather than self-sabotage. I wish him luck as he has plenty of prime years.

I think Jan is very unusual in how professional he, and his team, is. In amateur sport it isn't typical to run one's career like a high level business or pro sports team. There are outliers, but look at most endurance athlete vlogs - they basically live and train like college students. It is the rare few at the top of these sports that create a team and a lifestyle that goes beyond just training a lot.

In that regard, I think you are right - this was a huge opportunity for Lionel to realise that his small team can be much more.

I think Lionel is already very good at seeing the bigger career picture - his collaboration with Talbot has been huge and Lionel has been thinking outside the box in bringing other athletes into his videos and promotions.

I was skeptical about the whole tri battle, but seeing that Lionel saw it as an opportunity to network with Jan and also to set Jan up as a bit of a mentor, I thought it was a very shrewd move.
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [The Guardian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Guardian wrote:
lyla wrote:

I think Jan is very unusual in how professional he, and his team, is. In amateur sport it isn't typical to run one's career like a high level business or pro sports team. There are outliers, but look at most endurance athlete vlogs - they basically live and train like college students. It is the rare few at the top of these sports that create a team and a lifestyle that goes beyond just training a lot.

In that regard, I think you are right - this was a huge opportunity for Lionel to realise that his small team can be much more.

I think Lionel is already very good at seeing the bigger career picture - his collaboration with Talbot has been huge and Lionel has been thinking outside the box in bringing other athletes into his videos and promotions.

I was skeptical about the whole tri battle, but seeing that Lionel saw it as an opportunity to network with Jan and also to set Jan up as a bit of a mentor, I thought it was a very shrewd move.

+1 on this. What I said was the BEST thing Lionel could get out of the Tri-Battle would be to see Jan up front and personal, and get a feel for his approach, preparation, his team, his professionalism. Hopefully Jan gave Lionel a few tidbits of advice.
Quote Reply

Prev Next