Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [nevertoolate] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nevertoolate wrote:
milesthedog wrote:
barrec wrote:
Raw Vegan wrote:
How is this event cool? I hate the concept of a field of two professional triathletes competing at a 140.6. The distance is already boring af from a spectator standpoint and this is worse.

If one of them has a mechanical, bonks, etc., it's over. If one of them gets a big lead the race is pretty much over.

Finally, as much as I respect and admire Lionel he's not on Jan's level. Beat him in Kona or anywhere else for that matter in a sanctioned race. Lionel is coming off a really bad race and I'm just not sure this event does him any favors. The big question is how does Jan get motivated for this event? He's never lost to Lionel. I actually wish they weren't doing this. I'd so much rather see Lionel focus on a KQ and see if he can win against the field there. That would impress me.

I am new to spectating triathlon in general (especially IM distance) and find the competition pretty novel. Maybe not the race by itself, but the whole event is kind of neat to me. Kind of like the Collins Cup as far as it being something different (though I certainly expect that to be more competitive than this).

Jan vs Lionel is an exhibition. If there is a market for it and the athletes want to do it, then maybe it's an event that can be done again.

I think the biggest benefit of this event is the Zwift component. I truly believe that if done well, the ability for people to ride and run alongside pros in events could benefit the sport and pros.

In my ideal scenario, Zwift has commercials integrated into the platform and live video coverage of the event in addition to the avatars. Further, Zwift would benefit from recognizing the 'double legitimacy' issue that will either allow this format to succeed or possibly sink it:
  • people using Zwift to ride and run along with the pro's need to abide by Zwift's existing calibration and validation protocol, otherwise no-names on Zwift are beating the pros, and the draw and novelty to 'race alongside the pro's is lost, and this is a motivating factor above and beyond the normal Zwift experience.
  • Zwift needs to profit off of advertising in addition to subscriptions and publicly promote the dollar amount pro's are earning, because this bring further legitimacy needed to motivate and entice people to 'race alongside the pro's'. The moment the public is seeing no-names beating the pro's or sense the pro's are not valued within the sport and held on a ridiculous pedestal as signaled by huge paychecks, the motivation to show up and race them on Zwift diminishes.

Last, in my ideal scenario, this Zwift interaction with live pro events becomes commonplace in triathlon, pro cycling, and running races.

Ride alongside the Pros?
You mean like ride/run hours behind them?
Unless these Zwifters are using their power drills, almost nobody is going to be even in the same city-code as these two.

I mean they could probably keep up for a segment or two of the multi-lap course....or a relay?
But agree, if those riding along are not validated or calibrated, it would be just a gong-show.
Maybe Zwift could come up with some sort of handicap system?

I forgot to add: for people who don't want to the validation process (which is pretty stringent!) they have to race a game-i-fied version that allows them to keep up while eating mushrooms and shi*t and getting huge, or whatever happens in video games

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The paint job of Lionel's new rig makes me want a canyon so bad, that green is sexy.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
The paint job of Lionel's new rig makes me want a canyon so bad, that green is sexy.

Amen brother. I have always wanted one but man that green looks SO GOOD! He definitely beats Frodeno for the bike look!
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [mkq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guys.
It's fugly.

There's an interview with Macca about the Tri Battle Royale in the latest MX Endurance podcast episode. I liked it, and it really felt unbiased - Macca is a Lionel fan, so are the hosts, but none of them smoke crack.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what for? :D
Jan can win with just one leg... I think it is a very unbalanced head to head... give me Ryf vs Lucy Charles, but:
IM distance, Lionel does not manage the distance well
Jan is very superior in the swim and the run. Bike, they can be almost equal....

So...I cant see the point of this battle. I give 99% to Jan, 1% to Lionel. If they come close it is because jan will not force the engine.
And I think LS is a cool guy....

Spaniard. Sorry for my english for the sensitive ones :P
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, muscle car green is a fantastic choice🍏Hot rod Sunday!
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [Lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There has been torrential rain with tragic flooding over Germany over the last 48hours. 80 dead and many missing. Windy too.

This forecast says the weather system might move away from Germany this weekend:
BBC News - More flooding for Europe
https://www.bbc.co.uk/...er/features/57849597
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [CementBottle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CementBottle wrote:
Everyone talks about how much money they are making, I realize it’s speculation but can someone explain how?

i've been wondering the same thing.

for zwift as the title sponsor, i guess they've done the math and figured that a real-world event will draw new subscribers or position their brand in a good way. and i think lionel and jan are two of the more popular athletes on zwift.

for canyon, it's exposure, but it's a two-man event where a dude on a canyon will beat . . . a dude on a canyon.

for all the rest of their sponsors (asics, freshii, gatorade, etc), i just don't see it. yeah, they'll get some exposure, but not more than they would at a normal race. so i don't see why they would pony up new money specifically for this.

the regional governments are supporting, i guess, with things like road closures. even there, though, it's not like roth where you're going to have thousands of spectators and a huge boom for local business.

don't get me wrong - i love both these guys and hope they make a million bucks each. god knows it's tough enough to make a go of it in tri. but i just remain sort of confused about the whole thing. about the purpose, the parameters, the location. the majority of the stuff i'm finding on youtube is german. it's friday and there's nothing about it on slowtwitch. europe's attention has been totally on the euro cup, and a little bit on wimbledon and le tour. now germany is reeling under deadly floods and the weather forecast for this weekend is crap. it's all just weird.

anyway i hope it comes together and it's a great event for everyone.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:
1. I noticed Lionel wearing a long sleeve shirt under the jersey, so he won't sweat much there. He will finish the race no matter what and give everything he got as usual. He's just that kind of guy.

2. He's a small town guy just traveled to overseas. Lots of people have experienced that at some point in their lives. He travelled there to race head to head with GOAT, so you can tell he's nervous and under pressure. Most of all, he was not over with jet lag yet.

3. I'm not sure if Canyon will keep the silver one and he will take the green one home, but that's very nice gesture from Canyon. Headquarter is there, so giving him a new bike makes perfect sense. I liked the silver one but definitely green one looks better on him since he used to ride several green LG bikes back in the day.

4. I've noticed Lionel is kinda quiet lately. He talked a lot before the race, but he couldn't deliver, so maybe he's trying to keep his mouth shut and deliver this time? I don't know what's going through his mind, but I felt he's bit different in the latest video.

5. Looks like the whole little town is in it for this race. Jan will go for the record and LS will try his ass off to chase him, so I'm pretty sure it's going to be entertaining. I don't know about other people, but just watching fast pros racing is very entertaining for me.

Lional probably has a fair bit of nerves right now. There is a chance he could get really embarrassed, and he is a very prideful man and wears his heart on his sleeve. He is one of the more open pro athletes and coming from the age group ranks near the bottom people can relate. After what happened in his last ironman his confidence has to be low and he could have a bad race again. We know Lional can push himself really hard up to the half marathon point, after that we will have to wait and see how he goes on the day.
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [dirtbag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [talbotcox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
More gold from Talbot.

Lionel's eyes seeing that green machine says it all.
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [talbotcox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Beauty video Talbot. Lionel looks a lot better and more relaxed. Sweet looking ride as well.
Hopefully the weather plays ball on Sunday and we can watch a historic race.

Cheers!

Quinner
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He was for sure invited for those reasons and not because he gets the most clicks, likes, and views.
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [bretzky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great video Talbot!

The content of the video and the positioning of this event has shifted considerably since the first "challenge" that Lionel put out there. Obviously CdA plays a role but even in this whole video, Lionel is deferential to Jan (vs even the title of the whole thing: "Battle"). He talks about how Jan is going to be close to sub-7:35, how he was "chosen" to be there vs a challenger and admits that he cannot be confident going into a race with a triathlete of Jan's stature. Jan calls the event a WR attempt which is brilliant and I cannot wait to see how it pans out but we all know that a "Battle" and "WR attempt" are different things.

As a long-time admirer of Lionel, I hope he doesn't leave it all out there on Sunday, only to spend the next year wondering why he didn't prioritize training and Kona.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Talbot with the spicy questions!

Nice to see Lionel getting the red carpet treatment from canyon! That silver bullet is a trainer bike now or what?
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [Lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lacticturkey wrote:
Talbot with the spicy questions!

Nice to see Lionel getting the red carpet treatment from canyon! That silver bullet is a trainer bike now or what?

Pros get new bikes every year, but I saw his old garneau bike on the trainer in one of his vids, so yes, probably trainer bike.

Plus now they have a spare bike TdF style for mechanicals/flats on race day. They wouldn't do this whole "Jan setting the record/battle to the death" show and not have contingency for a flat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He got 2. ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mkq wrote:
Great video Talbot!

The content of the video and the positioning of this event has shifted considerably since the first "challenge" that Lionel put out there. Obviously CdA plays a role but even in this whole video, Lionel is deferential to Jan (vs even the title of the whole thing: "Battle"). He talks about how Jan is going to be close to sub-7:35, how he was "chosen" to be there vs a challenger and admits that he cannot be confident going into a race with a triathlete of Jan's stature. Jan calls the event a WR attempt which is brilliant and I cannot wait to see how it pans out but we all know that a "Battle" and "WR attempt" are different things.

As a long-time admirer of Lionel, I hope he doesn't leave it all out there on Sunday, only to spend the next year wondering why he didn't prioritize training and Kona.

I'm so tired of Lionel kissing Jan's ass. He's a bigger fanboy than ST posters are fanboys of Lionel. It's a bit nauseating and embarrassing. Respect is one thing, but kissing ass continually and looking totally awestruck is getting old.

In my mind Lionel had already lost. You go there with the intention of victory. You don't go for a big schmoozefest. The whole thing with Jan's face painted on Erin's backside is really out there. It may be in good fun, but a battle should be between two guys that want win and are of similar ability. A guy like Macca would never show up with Lionel's mindset. Macca would go with the attitude that he's going to will himself to win no matter what.
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [Raw Vegan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dont believe everything you see on camera.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great video Talbot! Always raw and asking those questions we are all wondering about. Lionel seems grateful for the opportunity! I really hope he puts it together on Sunday on the second half of the run.
Did I hear him say his “new“ coach. He still shows up on DTD website?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
talbotcox wrote:
dont believe everything you see on camera.

I see what you're saying, but it is actually what the viewers are seeing. As others have stated Jan appears to be nonchalant and Lionel humble to the point of falling all over Jan.

I'm glad they're not spewing baseless trash talk, but a strong level of confidence from both guys isn't visible in the videos. Just passing along what we're actually seeing as spectators.

By the way your video production and content is solid. Keep it coming as we all enjoy it.
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [CementBottle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CementBottle wrote:
Great video Talbot! Always raw and asking those questions we are all wondering about. Lionel seems grateful for the opportunity! I really hope he puts it together on Sunday on the second half of the run.
Did I hear him say his “new“ coach. He still shows up on DTD website?

He was joking about Wurf being his new coach. Which would be hilarious.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To no one in particular....
I think that people are using the wrong definition of "battle". Most people think of the word battle as when people combat outside forces or things outside of themselves. For Lionel, this event and the runup to it is a battle within his mind. He is battling the limits that he has within his mind of himself and how he compares to Jan. I might even use the word "idol" as how it appears that Lionel views Jan. That is a tough thing to fight against. Lionel is trying to get to know his idol better not so he can beat Jan, but so he can better battle himself...of course, I don't know. I am just trying to put myself in Lionel's shoes as an addict trying to compete against someone he looks up to. I have been in that situation. Of course, not on as public of a stage, but a similar situation nonetheless.
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [bretzky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bretzky wrote:
He was for sure invited for those reasons and not because he gets the most clicks, likes, and views.

man, you're working really hard on establishing a brand here.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [trimike77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am already impressed that Jan can actually organize a personal event like this. Road closures, permits, marketing, coverage, lead vehicles, swim course markers, turn around ramps.....pretty cool clout....plus sealing his goat status

Could this become an annual Jans invitational event? Top 10 to 20 athletes from around the world get invited to race the world's fastest course at the Jan Frodeno invitational battle tri. Jan would basically be like the guy with a claw in Enter the Dragon.
Quote Reply

Prev Next