Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
Dan Funk wrote:
iron_mike wrote:
reports from the course saying that jan is hurting (in the hip) and lionel is feeling good; both guys are tailing off the projected finish times a bit but lionel may be gaining a bit.

looks like Jan is starting to coast. and this where I suspect there could be a little drama manufacturing. not taking ANYTHING away from these two guys doing 7:XX.

But listening to commentators...trying to stir up drama, all a bit ridiculous.

you suspect that jan is trying to manufacture drama? because he's slowing down after 6.5 hours at 10 minutes faster than the IM world record? after falling hard? in pouring rain?

X2….. he slowing down coz he stuffed ! Hip hurting, redlining the pace, he not doing this for theatrics
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [wannabefaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wannabefaster wrote:
10K left!

The suffering that they must be experiencing to keep it at the limit. Especially since Jan could back way off and still win. Now it's about the record.

Lionel looks like he's starting to fade a bit. He'll need to dig deep to go under the old record.
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
Dan Funk wrote:
iron_mike wrote:
reports from the course saying that jan is hurting (in the hip) and lionel is feeling good; both guys are tailing off the projected finish times a bit but lionel may be gaining a bit.

looks like Jan is starting to coast. and this where I suspect there could be a little drama manufacturing. not taking ANYTHING away from these two guys doing 7:XX.

you suspect that jan is trying to manufacture drama? because he's slowing down after 6.5 hours at 10 minutes faster than the IM world record? after falling hard? in pouring rain?

I am saying Jan is slowing down because he is coasting. There are no stakes with this race. This is an appearance fee. No one will remember it except about 700 people on ST. So no reason to push it. He'll win anyway.

And if you don't think things are manufactured... I can appreciate it. Most people don't understand it.

Look - I said of course its amazing they can do a 7:XX training day. And I'm sure his hip hurts a bit.

But Frodo is the GOAT.
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [IamSpartacus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Calling it now, nobKona for Jan because of this race. Hoping that’s not the case but he has to be doing damage to that hip.

https://twitter.com/mungub
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [gusthemuss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there an actual race tracker somewhere I can see the Swim and Bike splits? Obviously I woke while they were running!

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [mungub50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mungub50 wrote:
Calling it now, nobKona for Jan because of this race. Hoping that’s not the case but he has to be doing damage to that hip.

Are you serious?! If it hurt that bad, he would quit. Kona matters. This doesn't. He's already made his $
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Is there an actual race tracker somewhere I can see the Swim and Bike splits? Obviously I woke while they were running!

45:58 vs 50:58 for the Swim and 3:55:22 vs 4:00:26 for the Bike. You can rewind and watch on youtube
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [Dan Funk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan Funk wrote:
iron_mike wrote:
Dan Funk wrote:
iron_mike wrote:

I am saying Jan is slowing down because he is coasting. There are no stakes with this race. This is an appearance fee. No one will remember it except about 700 people on ST. So no reason to push it. He'll win anyway.

And if you don't think things are manufactured... I can appreciate it. Most people don't understand it.

Look - I said of course its amazing they can do a 7:XX training day. And I'm sure his hip hurts a bit.

But Frodo is the GOAT.

ha ha ha. but you understand it, right?

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mungub50 wrote:

lol
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [Dan Funk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan Funk wrote:

But Frodo is the GOAT.

He's not coasting because he has the lead, heck he's not coasting. For a dude that fell hit his hip he's rolling. You may think there's no stakes here, but clearly there are for him.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mungub50 wrote:

I suspect he's got a nice bruise on that hip and his muscles are going to be really tight for a week or so, but he's not doing long-term damage. Kona is not threatened.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lionel just getting to the turn now... so 3km behind?

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [wannabefaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WOW!

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you not entertained!?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7:27:53!

Jason
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lol Jans wiki page.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NA Youtube Numbers

Zwift- 3k
Lionel's- 25k

ETA- Dear director...show me Lionel now!

Last edited by: TheStroBro: Jul 18, 21 7:41
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone, this is exactly what I wanted to wake up to this morning. Got to read the race live through all your eyes, and watch Jan do the last 10k of the live run. Pretty amazing given the not so fast conditions on the day. And if we are going to call fastest times world records, then this is it. A course finally legitimized, distance and fairness.

Chapeau to Jan and Lionel for making and marking a turning point in out sport..
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So after the damage of today when and where does Lionel qualify for Kona?
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I’ve been following along loosely and didn’t watch the entire event. Can anyone who watched closely tell me when Jan put the chamois in his trisuit?

I saw when he took it out in T2…
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
16+ minutes behind for Lionel. It looks like he lost about six minutes over the second half of the run.

That must have hurt!

Jason
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Loved Lionel’s finish line interview.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So what does this all tell us that we didn't already know?
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ya that was a nice interview, and kind of amazing to think that he went 7;43 and probably feels like he failed. But all along he was there to be in the shadow, keeping Jan honest in his pace and knowing that this tenacious competitor was going to be in the wings to pounce. In that job he was entirely successful, the time lost in the last half of the run was irrelevant. It got Jan to the space he needed, where he could then fly on his own to the finish line.

Also have to say if they somehow lucked into perfect weather, there would have been 10 minute knocked off that time. Kind of makes the 7 hour cheater chase a bit of a let down now. The women's 8 hour time was a joke to begin with, probably over a dozen women could do that time, and now seeing this, they better adjust the mens time a bit if they want us to have any wow factor...
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Didn't someone say Lake Placid? That would make Kona his 4th this season so not sure how that's going to go.

Overall, this event was a lot of fun. Lionel had his best IM performance since 2017 and was able to improve a minute from his 2016 pb. Frodo did what he had to do, and given he has not done any other long course efforts this year seems to be on schedule to plan and manage a good peak for Kona.
Quote Reply

Prev Next