Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Two of my friends who live here in Copenhagen weed supposed to race it told me it had been postponed until next year. I will double check with them and come back. Who knows maybe they made it a pro only race but that would be strange considering the cost to put on an IM event.

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [Lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lacticturkey wrote:
That was intense. Both guys laid it all on the line today in different ways. The conditions were cold and wet. Unique take on the sport, glad both gentlemen executed an A race to remember!

I'll be honest the concept for this never really intrigued my given I was 95% sure of the outcome. Great performances from both guys given the rain, but didnt really tell us anything new.

Other than the U-turn ramps, it was an absolutely legitimate course, albeit fully optimised with short transitions and a flat course. It was not anywhere near contrived as this sub 7 nonsense.

Maybe next year we could get an uninjured AB vs Jan to at least potentially make it more interesting from a competitive standpoint.

WRs are definitely not the be all and end all in Tri, given the amount of race day variables that can effect the overall time. Unlike track and field you don't get 7 or 8 opportunities per season over the same distance, so that adds to the large % variation in time.
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ā€œ It is a larger event in which records may be broken during the course of natural competition. ā€

So, your saying the size of the event is what determines the legitimacy of a record? I definitely do not agree with your premise.
Bike tracks have been constructed so 1 person can attempt to set a world record. If a marathon course was planned that met the rules in place for a Marathon WR, and only 2 athletes raced, if a record was broken it would be accepted. A shorter version of this occurred last year when a womenā€™s world record was set for 10 miles on a course set up for speed that met all record standards, and was run by only 1 women, for the purpose of trying to break the record, which was certified and accepted.

Should other people have been invited? Maybe. Does it change things when there are more athletes on the course? Probably, but maybe faster or slower :-)

Bottom line- If a course or venue meets the conditions established for a world record, and someone races the course under the established rules, the record should stand regardless of the number of competitors. And you know it!
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [taos111] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
taos111 wrote:
I dont want to take anything away from two amazing athletes having a great training day and racing each other, but I am just going to say it. World records in triathlon are ridiculous. Its not like a 100 meter dash on a track. Everyone knows that Iron distance races are all on different terrains/wind conditions and of course temperature environments.

You just cant compare one race to another like that. This course is super flat as a pancake on great roads (A highway) and cool conditions. Yes, it was raining and a very amazing performance by both, but please stop touting an Iron distance world record. Its meaningless.

I especially cringe when I hear of a Kona world record. Every day in Kona is different with some days zero wind and some day a 25 MPH head wind with some days with a cloud cover and some days blazing hot sun. Also, it goes without saying that the Kona course has been changed at least 4 times over the years if not more.

I am generally positive and dont want to hate on this event or others, but please stop comparing one race to another in iron distance triathlon.

"Training Day"? Say want you want about the course and conditions, the fact is it was a sanctioned race that followed all the rules and regulations on a properly measured course. It's a valid WR and a historic performance by an incredible athlete that should be celebrated. I guess you and your positive attitude will have to deal with it. šŸ˜
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [IntenseOne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IntenseOne wrote:
ā€œ It is a larger event in which records may be broken during the course of natural competition. ā€

So, your saying the size of the event is what determines the legitimacy of a record? I definitely do not agree with your premise.
Bike tracks have been constructed so 1 person can attempt to set a world record. If a marathon course was planned that met the rules in place for a Marathon WR, and only 2 athletes raced, if a record was broken it would be accepted. A shorter version of this occurred last year when a womenā€™s world record was set for 10 miles on a course set up for speed that met all record standards, and was run by only 1 women, for the purpose of trying to break the record, which was certified and accepted.

Should other people have been invited? Maybe. Does it change things when there are more athletes on the course? Probably, but maybe faster or slower :-)

Bottom line- If a course or venue meets the conditions established for a world record, and someone races the course under the established rules, the record should stand regardless of the number of competitors. And you know it!

If you canā€™t understand the difference, I have nothing for you. Just forget all the hype describing this as a unique, never-before-done event.
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [Adman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe next year we could get an uninjured AB vs Jan to at least potentially make it more interesting from a competitive standpoint.

What has AB done to show that he is worthy of the invitation? He sucks at long course if you have not noticed.
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [Klaus Daimler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Klaus Daimler wrote:

What has AB done to show that he is worthy of the invitation? He sucks at long course if you have not noticed.

Ha ha very good. 2 x 70.3 Worlds Silver, ahead of Lionel in his one and only disaster of a Kona and 7:45 in Western Oz. He is worthy ;)

He would at least be up there for a fair portion of the race for some excitement. He's one of the very few who can hang with Jan on the swim and bike.
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
IntenseOne wrote:

If you canā€™t understand the difference, I have nothing for you. Just forget all the hype describing this as a unique, never-before-done event.

Yeh comparing a standard 50m swimming pool or 400m running track to the variation in triathlon courses is complete nonsense. This was set up to be fast within the confines of the rules.

You don't have anywhere near the same degree of options to do that in swimming or athletics.
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [Klaus Daimler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well he went 7:45 at Busselton - https://www.tri247.com/...ustralia-2019-report

and he is not concentrating on trying to win the olympics anymore.

and he now has time to get over his injury woes.

So given next season he might be able to concentrate on long course, be fully fit and has stated he wants to win Kona on several occasions we might start and see the new guard taking over next year. That would make more of a story than this one has been.

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Up until today his Ironman Pb was less than a minute slower than Sanders.

Youā€™d have to line up behind me to call him a disingenuous flog, but heā€™s not slow.
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [IntenseOne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IntenseOne wrote:
ā€œ Itā€™s certainly ā€œlegitā€, but manufactured events/courses designed with the singular purpose of establishing a record still feel strange to me. ā€

Isnā€™t every event and course ā€œmanufacturedā€? I have directed and helped construct several events and courses, and a lot of thought and effort goes in to making it attractive to athletes :-)
I do not see how this differs from literally any course/event.
The US swimming Olympic Trials is a good example. The pool is literally designed and manufactured for the specific event. Should the world records not be counted?

I also think the swim was either short or the pacing times were off. Halfway through the swim they had Frodo clocking 1:13/100m pace or 47-48 min, then all of the sudden he got out on 45 minutes. Whatever, all courses are a bit off, usually short so in my view this course isn't any less or more legit than other fair courses out there.
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What were their final splits?

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Klaus Daimler wrote:

He has raced three Ironman and won two of them. The one he didnā€™t was Kona where he finished 21st after flatting on the bike. 22nd place that day was Sandersā€¦

You sure have been putting in a strong push lately for worst poster on slowtwitch

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
honestly, it might finally be time for me to take a slowtwitch break. it's been over 17 years, but the vibes in this place are just getting toxic.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Klaus Daimler wrote:
Adman wrote:
CheesyConey wrote:
iron_mike wrote:
reports from the course saying that jan is hurting (in the hip) and lionel is feeling good; both guys are tailing off the projected finish times a bit but lionel may be gaining a bit.

Thatā€™s what it looks like from the statistics weā€™re getting too. Janā€™s lead is big enough that heā€™d have to really blow up even if Lionel feels fresh as a daisy. Still, I think Lionel has to look at this as a huge morale victory. Heā€™s actually held his own on the run (with help from a wet carpet). But itā€™s not the bloodbath I think a lot of us feared.

So far it is both a great performance for LS and a bit of a bloodbath. But to be expected I guess.

Still a bit of running to do though.

A margin of ~10 min is the difference between 1st and between 3rd and 5th in Kona, depending on the year. I think the difference would have been much more if this was in Kona rather than in conditions that favored LS significantly.

I love LS but there is a wide gap between him and the best. Further, there are others that are closer to the best than he is.

Not a reason to not cheer for him but dems the facts (and always have been).

Yeh I've always felt LS is a really good athlete without being a great athlete. Still probably not in the top 5 in the world.

I sometimes think he is, in a very small way, like long course triathlon's answer to Conor McGregor minus the unsavoury personality traits. He promotes himself well, can be very successful in certain circumstances and has a passionate following that has turned him unfairly into a marmite type figure. But ultimately not the best in the world and nowhere near the all time greats at this stage.
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lol just spoke to my two friend...apparently they have changed it back now...and there are 3 options.... #1 to do the entire distance
#2 to do swim bike
And
#3 to move your start number to 2022

Uh ok....bizarre....but yeah it's back on. Jsu a few weeks ago it was...sorry everyone postpone until 2022. Oh well more racing is good..tets see if that holds up with the delta variant increasing.

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perhaps I missed it, but I didn't see the finish times posted in this thread. The numbers as I understand them are as follows.

Previous World Record set by Jan Frodeno in 2016 at Challenge Roth
7:35:39

Jan Frodeno's time today
7:27:53

Lionel Sander's time today
7:43:32

Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [Fredo_Adagio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The following are some random thoughts prompted by today's race coverage.

The underwater swim course line seems like a great idea, but it might not work for a mass start event where not every participant can be over the line. Perhaps two lines of flashing lights could be placed on the bottom to define a wide swim lane. I admit that I suck at sighting while swimming. My usual strategy is to try to hold the sun on a constant bearing rather than trying to look for the turning buoy. One of the guys in the kayaks usually taps on the shoulder to get me back on course at least once during a race.

I am intrigued by the idea of banked ramps at sharp turns. Again, this might be difficult to implement in a mass start event. The turns are always a mess at the races I participate in. Competitors slow down at different distances from the turns and some of the more aggressive participants will try to overtake on a turn. Perhaps there could be a flat inner track for the timid and a banked outer track for the more aggressive.

I was impressed by the commentary of Helle Frederiksen. Based on her experience as a triathlete, she was able to tell us what might be going through the heads of the competitors. She also has a knowledge of physiology that enables her to read the gait to diagnose what might be happening to a competitor physically.
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [Mike.A] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike.A wrote:
taos111 wrote:
I dont want to take anything away from two amazing athletes having a great training day and racing each other, but I am just going to say it. World records in triathlon are ridiculous. Its not like a 100 meter dash on a track. Everyone knows that Iron distance races are all on different terrains/wind conditions and of course temperature environments.

You just cant compare one race to another like that. This course is super flat as a pancake on great roads (A highway) and cool conditions. Yes, it was raining and a very amazing performance by both, but please stop touting an Iron distance world record. Its meaningless.

I especially cringe when I hear of a Kona world record. Every day in Kona is different with some days zero wind and some day a 25 MPH head wind with some days with a cloud cover and some days blazing hot sun. Also, it goes without saying that the Kona course has been changed at least 4 times over the years if not more.

I am generally positive and dont want to hate on this event or others, but please stop comparing one race to another in iron distance triathlon.

"Training Day"? Say want you want about the course and conditions, the fact is it was a sanctioned race that followed all the rules and regulations on a properly measured course. It's a valid WR and a historic performance by an incredible athlete that should be celebrated. I guess you and your positive attitude will have to deal with it. šŸ˜

*IronCowboy has entered the chat*

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [taos111] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
taos111 wrote:

This was a full on race. Everything in it was covered by normal tri long course rules. It was probably more legit than any pro race in the last 20 years.

Kudos to Jan. What a machine. Sanders breaks his own record 3 weeks after already doing an Ironman and flying east across 9 time zones all in a span of 3 weeks and only finished 16 minutes behind Jan. Maybe fresh and without last moment travel and not recovering from another IM, he is only 10 min behind Jan. Poeple can hate on Lionel all they want, but this was a solid Ironman outing however you want to slice it. Especially 3 weeks later from a disaster at IMCda.
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
taos111 wrote:

This was a full on race. Everything in it was covered by normal tri long course rules. It was probably more legit than any pro race in the last 20 years.

Kudos to Jan. What a machine. Sanders breaks his own record 3 weeks after already doing an Ironman and flying east across 9 time zones all in a span of 3 weeks and only finished 16 minutes behind Jan. Maybe fresh and without last moment travel and not recovering from another IM, he is only 10 min behind Jan. Poeple can hate on Lionel all they want, but this was a solid Ironman outing however you want to slice it. Especially 3 weeks later from a disaster at IMCda.

It was an extremely good performance given his performance in Cda. But I don't think the travel is a big deal as European athletes do this all the time for big US events. Did he only arrive a week out?

Be interesting to see if he can gut it out at IM Copenhagen vs the Norwegian boys and get to Kona? Does anyone know if Stornes is also doing it?
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was a great performance of both and very entertaining.
But, although I would not say it was a derny-ride, there was a lot of drafting behind motorbikes.
And there is the allegation the distances were properly measured, but that's more often alleged and turned out not to be true.
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chemist wrote:
Klaus Daimler wrote:

He has raced three Ironman and won two of them. The one he didnā€™t was Kona where he finished 21st after flatting on the bike. 22nd place that day was Sandersā€¦

You sure have been putting in a strong push lately for worst poster on slowtwitch

Who did AB beat at IM? Any real competition? I will do your homework for you. Here are the results from his two wins:
2019 IM Cork
2019 IM Western Australia

A ton of other IM athletes have won Ironman races and they are not in the discussion. Holler back when AB shows he is even remotely worthy of challenging the GOAT beyond Slowtwitch internet racing.

While you are at it save your ad hominem for someone else, asshole.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Klaus Daimler wrote:
Chemist wrote:
Klaus Daimler wrote:

Who did AB beat at IM? Any real competition? I will do your homework for you. Here are the results from his two wins:
2019 IM Cork
2019 IM Western Australia

A ton of other IM athletes have won Ironman races and they are not in the discussion. Holler back when AB shows he is even remotely worthy of challenging the GOAT beyond Slowtwitch internet racing.

While you are at it save your ad hominem for someone else, asshole.

Bit harsh on AB given he is the GOAT at Short Course and hasn't yet fully committed to long course.

I'll be honest I think his Long Course career will be far less successful but who knows he could pull a Jan and end up being the true GOAT.
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [Adman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought it was Blum and Stornes doing IM Copp and not Iden. That would make more sense considering Iden doesn't need the qualifier.
Quote Reply

Prev Next