Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [Lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That would be very cool if this would become an annual event!
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [Lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ooo, agreed - that would be interesting. The Jan Invitational, or something. I was thinking more exhibitions like this would be fun. If the money is there, I am sure folks would be interested. Maybe like a few head to head matches? Undercards? Or maybe trying to turn it into a combat sport isn't the right angle.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lacticturkey wrote:
Could this become an annual Jans invitational event? Top 10 to 20 athletes from around the world get invited to race the world's fastest course at the Jan Frodeno invitational battle tri. Jan would basically be like the guy with a claw in Enter the Dragon.

yeah - to my mind that's the way forward for this.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am already impressed that Jan can actually organize a personal event like this. Road closures, permits, marketing, coverage, lead vehicles, swim course markers, turn around ramps.....pretty cool clout....plus sealing his goat status //

And not just these logistics, but Jan will be showing us the future of how ironman's will be raced and viewed by us fans. We will see lead vehicles behind the riders, there will be ramps to dampen the slow down of turns, transitions that allow the fastest change possible, metrics from the riders we have never seen(well in triathlon) before, and much more. We will finally see Jan's power and HR numbers during an actual race effort. It will be fun to see Lionel doing 300+ watts at 120+HR. People will finally realize that those numbers are individual, and not really something to compare to the rest of us. We will finally get to see a GPS tracking like distance graphic, and how it moves with all the athletes biometrics.

That is what this race is besides an attempt at going really, really fast, the future of how we will continue to be fans...
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
bretzky wrote:
He was for sure invited for those reasons and not because he gets the most clicks, likes, and views.

man, you're working really hard on establishing a brand here.

bretzky? you mean the guy that steals everyone's video footage and makes it look like his own?
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
True, the biometrics will be a world first. Even tdf didn't like to share those. So that's pretty exciting

Thier bikes look comparable as 1x power meter mono riser aeromax , except one major difference:
Is Lionel running a round bottle in the down tube while Jan has a ergonomic and almost invisible (to eye and wind) bta system?

Last edited by: Lacticturkey: Jul 16, 21 10:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I am already impressed that Jan can actually organize a personal event like this. Road closures, permits, marketing, coverage, lead vehicles, swim course markers, turn around ramps.....pretty cool clout....plus sealing his goat status //

And not just these logistics, but Jan will be showing us the future of how ironman's will be raced and viewed by us fans. We will see lead vehicles behind the riders, there will be ramps to dampen the slow down of turns, transitions that allow the fastest change possible, metrics from the riders we have never seen(well in triathlon) before, and much more. We will finally see Jan's power and HR numbers during an actual race effort. It will be fun to see Lionel doing 300+ watts at 120+HR. People will finally realize that those numbers are individual, and not really something to compare to the rest of us. We will finally get to see a GPS tracking like distance graphic, and how it moves with all the athletes biometrics.

That is what this race is besides an attempt at going really, really fast, the future of how we will continue to be fans...

good point - i really hope this pushes other races (looking at you, ironman) to up their coverage game. you've had some of that with superleague and more recently PTO; when you add in the fact that the costs of things like cameras, editing, and drones are falling every year, it will hopefully add up to better coverage across the board.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hopefully there will be a replay or very few in the US are gonna see anything.

I haven't found a channel to record on locally (not unexpected)
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure you'll be able to find it on youtube.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lacticturkey wrote:
True, the biometrics will be a world first. Even tdf didn't like to share those. So that's pretty exciting

Thier bikes look comparable as 1x power meter mono riser aeromax , except one major difference:
Is Lionel running a round bottle in the down tube while Jan has a ergonomic and almost invisible (to eye and wind) bta system?

Yep, liquid nutrition from bottles only for Sanders. No drink system.

Not sure how Jan will be fueling? Aero gel bottle(s)?

On paper Jan's setup is clearly faster. Also interesting was that Sanders runs level armpads on these tilted extensions.

Otherwise Jan said his strategy is to swim threshold, bike 300W and run 2:45 pace.

Not sure what Sanders set-up costs him watt-wise (smaller area), but he's gonna (have to) push more watts than Jan and also aims for a 2:45ish?
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [nevertoolate] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nevertoolate wrote:
Lacticturkey wrote:

Yep, liquid nutrition from bottles only for Sanders. No drink system.

Not sure how Jan will be fueling? Aero gel bottle(s)?

On paper Jan's setup is clearly faster. Also interesting was that Sanders runs level armpads on these tilted extensions.

Otherwise Jan said his strategy is to swim threshold, bike 300W and run 2:45 pace.

Not sure what Sanders set-up costs him watt-wise (smaller area), but he's gonna (have to) push more watts than Jan and also aims for a 2:45ish?

Jan clearly states in his interview that he is looking to go 3:45min/km so a 2:38 marathon. He also clearly states his ideal watts on the bike are 310W.
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [mkq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh good. It just takes some misinformation to flush out the Germans.
Not intentionall this time, as I went by what I had heard in a previous press release.
In my defense, I never claimed to speak German or have watched the Frodeno blurb.
The only German words I was told I needed to know are "Luscher" and: "Aschloch"?

So thanks for setting me 'zickezacke' and 'clearly' straight.
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [nevertoolate] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not German but I’d recommend you stop walking down the casual xenophobic path you seem to be.

I was simply correcting you on two important points as they pertain to a world record attempt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [talbotcox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
talbotcox wrote:
dont believe everything you see on camera.

What a great point. Lionel is as good at building an image and selling a narrative as Jan is at winning triathlons.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mkq wrote:
I am not German but I’d recommend you stop walking down the casual xenophobic path you seem to be.

I was simply correcting you on two important points as they pertain to a world record attempt.

Right, I see, I was falsifying information and am a xenophobe. You're out of bounds, buddy!

But to all the other Germans here:
Sorry!
(My excuse is that I apparently had a 'questionable' home stay)
Last edited by: nevertoolate: Jul 16, 21 13:26
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kajet wrote:
talbotcox wrote:
dont believe everything you see on camera.

What a great point. Lionel is as good at building an image and selling a narrative as Jan is at winning triathlons.

He has a couple 'slip-ups' in his interview that make you take notice and maybe allow a glimpse on how he plans his race.
Right now, if you asked me after that interview, I'd put a couple bucks on him catching up to Frodeno on the bike and then 'pulling a Coer-d'Alene' on the run.
Pulling the plug at mile XX of the run may not be as dramatic and more calculated/gradually.

But again, just my opinion after watching his intonation, body language, etc.
Last edited by: nevertoolate: Jul 16, 21 13:27
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [Raw Vegan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Raw Vegan wrote:
mkq wrote:
Great video Talbot!

The content of the video and the positioning of this event has shifted considerably since the first "challenge" that Lionel put out there. Obviously CdA plays a role but even in this whole video, Lionel is deferential to Jan (vs even the title of the whole thing: "Battle"). He talks about how Jan is going to be close to sub-7:35, how he was "chosen" to be there vs a challenger and admits that he cannot be confident going into a race with a triathlete of Jan's stature. Jan calls the event a WR attempt which is brilliant and I cannot wait to see how it pans out but we all know that a "Battle" and "WR attempt" are different things.

As a long-time admirer of Lionel, I hope he doesn't leave it all out there on Sunday, only to spend the next year wondering why he didn't prioritize training and Kona.

I'm so tired of Lionel kissing Jan's ass. He's a bigger fanboy than ST posters are fanboys of Lionel. It's a bit nauseating and embarrassing. Respect is one thing, but kissing ass continually and looking totally awestruck is getting old.

In my mind Lionel had already lost. You go there with the intention of victory. You don't go for a big schmoozefest. The whole thing with Jan's face painted on Erin's backside is really out there. It may be in good fun, but a battle should be between two guys that want win and are of similar ability. A guy like Macca would never show up with Lionel's mindset. Macca would go with the attitude that he's going to will himself to win no matter what.

Give the man a little more credit. He’s merely attempting to use honey to catch his bees.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is Dan's take on the upcoming battle:

https://www.slowtwitch.com/...s_Upon_Us__8001.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WOW even Dan drank the YouTube Kool-Aid!!!
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [Raw Vegan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Respecting that Macca was a brilliant athlete, it is not just about willing yourself to win, however I get the mind set, that a true competitor isn't there just to to support or co star:

A guy like Macca would never show up with Lionel's mindset. Macca would go with the attitude that he's going to will himself to win no matter what.

Kona 2002 Macca gave up and DNF

Kona 2003 did 9:32 and came 59 th

Kona 2004 hitched a ride with Mark Allen

other year broke a cable when he saw that he wasn't going to win

Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [talbotcox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will this livestream have rewind enabled? I might miss the first hour but would like to watch it from the beginning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Next video is up...

Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is this on YouTube?
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It'll be streamed on Lionel's youtube channel so you should be able to rewind after it has finished and also during the race....at least that is how other livestreams have worked on youtube for me.
Quote Reply

Prev Next