Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Placid is in 6 days soooooo no way
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He's on the start list for Lake Placid and he's mentioned both Placid and Copenhagen as options.

But pros can enter their names on start lists almost willy nilly and also never show up. So his name being on the start list isn't that relevant.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [Klaus Daimler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dont want to take anything away from two amazing athletes having a great training day and racing each other, but I am just going to say it. World records in triathlon are ridiculous. Its not like a 100 meter dash on a track. Everyone knows that Iron distance races are all on different terrains/wind conditions and of course temperature environments.

You just cant compare one race to another like that. This course is super flat as a pancake on great roads (A highway) and cool conditions. Yes, it was raining and a very amazing performance by both, but please stop touting an Iron distance world record. Its meaningless.

I especially cringe when I hear of a Kona world record. Every day in Kona is different with some days zero wind and some day a 25 MPH head wind with some days with a cloud cover and some days blazing hot sun. Also, it goes without saying that the Kona course has been changed at least 4 times over the years if not more.

I am generally positive and dont want to hate on this event or others, but please stop comparing one race to another in iron distance triathlon.
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [taos111] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ok, we'll all stop now.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is Lionel OK?
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [taos111] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am generally positive and dont want to hate on this event or others, but please stop comparing one race to another in iron distance triathlon.//

So unless it is on a track indoors, you really don't believe in any world records in any outside sport? I tend to agree with you on our sport, just because we dont even measure the dam courses. But not this one on this day, so how is it different that a 10k or marathon world record? How about 40k on the bike, or the outdoor mile world records?
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Commentators mentioned him qualifying in Denmark. Not sure what Ironman is there. His recovery might be helped by the weather. If it would've been hot, he would've hurt more IMO. That rain kept major dehydration at bay.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Last edited by: timr: Jul 18, 21 8:20
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [trisomemari] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And great to see Hannes there giving out awards and helping the guys. Most of you have no idea who he is, one of the first German Ironman to do well in Kona. Back from my day in the early 80's, then he formed a travel company to get the 200+ Germans to Kona each year. He would book entire hotels just for his contingent on the big island. Kind of what Kenny Glah is doing now with Americans..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
So unless it is on a track indoors, you really don't believe in any world records in any outside sport? I tend to agree with you on our sport, just because we dont even measure the dam courses. But not this one on this day, so how is it different that a 10k or marathon world record?

I haven't heard of people manufacturing fast courses in order for competitors to achieve WRs in athletics. This one was blatantly made fast, complete with the ramp. (Nothing wrong with it - it's all good fun!)

I personally don't have a problem with it, but I do think "records" in triathlon are way overhyped.

There are course rules in 10k and marathon. The finish has to be close to the start, net negative elevation change is severely limited, etc. Hence you can't beat a world record in Boston, for instance. Also, running doesn't have transitions, is less affected by wind, etc.

monty wrote:
How about 40k on the bike, or the outdoor mile world records?

As far as the bike goes, I thought the only official UCI-sanctioned WR was the hour record on the track?

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timr wrote:
Commentators mentioned him qualifying in Denmark. Not sure what Ironman is there.

It's an Ironman with two male Kona slots, and Blummenfelt and Iden (both not KQ'd and wanting to get KQ'd) on the start list.
[Edit: Iden does have a KQ apparently. Good for Lionel].

Gonna be interesting.

Last edited by: kajet: Jul 18, 21 8:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 'But not this one on this day, so how is it different that a 10k or marathon world record? How about 40k on the bike, or the outdoor mile world records?[/quote]

While it is just like the sub 2. great entertainment but meant to be fast and not let others compete.

swim distance????
very short transitions???
banked turns???
no other competition allowed to challenge them . Long and lange could do a lot of damage on that course.

No age grouper in the way on laps and aid stations.

So there it isn't a world record. It was their own broadcast of self prompt for our entertainment.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have to agree with Monty. This was a legitimate course in a real Lake and on public roads, properly measured and certified. There was no possibility of drafting, or any of the accepted rules being broken. It was clearly the fastest anyone has ever completed an Ironman distance Triathlon, so absolutely a legitimate record.
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [trisomemari] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is amazing is that just a short time ago, both these guys were doing an incredible time and running themselves into the ground. And now they can both barley get up on a podium with help. I think it is safe to say that nothing was left in any tank today, and this was more than a training day as some of you like to refer to it. It was a race by all metrics, and for both of them, usually how they race even with 20 more guys on the start line too. One most always in the lead, the other most always in a solo chase mode.
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
“ Blummenfelt and Iden (both not KQ'd ”

Iden is KQ’d from his 2019 70.3 WC carried over
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [IntenseOne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Plus, neither Blummenfelt nor Iden has done an I'm distance race (IIRC). Good chance one of them doesn't execute to perfection.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If Iden has a great day in Kona, and beats Jan, does Jan do this again next year and invite Iden, a competitor that actually has a chance to beat him? Can Jan hang in there as Lionel did when he knows he is beaten? That is the measure of a true champion!
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [IntenseOne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right, I completely forgot about Iden’s WC winner slot. Edited my post now.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IntenseOne wrote:
Have to agree with Monty. This was a legitimate course in a real Lake and on public roads, properly measured and certified. There was no possibility of drafting, or any of the accepted rules being broken. It was clearly the fastest anyone has ever completed an Ironman distance Triathlon, so absolutely a legitimate record.

It’s certainly “legit”, but manufactured events/courses designed with the singular purpose of establishing a record still feel strange to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Engner66 wrote:
Didn't someone say Lake Placid? That would make Kona his 4th this season so not sure how that's going to go.
Think LS said his plan was to race IM Copenhagen (22 Aug, MPRO 2 Kona slots) to gain KQ (good luck against the best Europeans who aren't selected for Collins Cup) and then race the Collins Cup the following w/e at Samorin (I guess judging that / not caring whether a long distance 7 days before will have minimal impact on the outcome of a match mano a mano a mano against maybe George Goodwin and RvB. He'll also be wanting to race the 70.3 WC at St George in early September.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IntenseOne wrote:
If Iden has a great day in Kona, and beats Jan, does Jan do this again next year and invite Iden, a competitor that actually has a chance to beat him? Can Jan hang in there as Lionel did when he knows he is beaten? That is the measure of a true champion!

I don’t think it was out of the realm of possibility that Lionel could have made up the 5min swim deficit during the bike. But that 3:55 ride by Jan was insane. Iden would have been a few minutes back out of the swim as well so not sure he’d be any more competitive. Definitely don’t see him gaining any time on Jan on the bike than would have to run sub-2:40.

Not sure any current athletes could touch that 45 + 3:55 swim/bike.
Last edited by: IanH: Jul 18, 21 8:59
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
“ It’s certainly “legit”, but manufactured events/courses designed with the singular purpose of establishing a record still feel strange to me. ”

Isn’t every event and course “manufactured”? I have directed and helped construct several events and courses, and a lot of thought and effort goes in to making it attractive to athletes :-)
I do not see how this differs from literally any course/event.
The US swimming Olympic Trials is a good example. The pool is literally designed and manufactured for the specific event. Should the world records not be counted?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That was intense. Both guys laid it all on the line today in different ways. The conditions were cold and wet. Unique take on the sport, glad both gentlemen executed an A race to remember!
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well Copenhagen has been postponed so he won't be doing that

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IntenseOne wrote:
“ It’s certainly “legit”, but manufactured events/courses designed with the singular purpose of establishing a record still feel strange to me. ”

Isn’t every event and course “manufactured”? I have directed and helped construct several events and courses, and a lot of thought and effort goes in to making it attractive to athletes :-)
I do not see how this differs from literally any course/event.
The US swimming Olympic Trials is a good example. The pool is literally designed and manufactured for the specific event. Should the world records not be counted?

I knew someone would respond with this. The answer is definitively “no”. And you know it. The distinction is clear when an event is a closed course designed for one or a few athletes to set a record. The trials or similar events aren’t set up for 1 or 2 athletes only to compete to break a record. It is a larger event in which records may be broken during the course of natural competition.
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [TizzleDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TizzleDK wrote:
Well Copenhagen has been postponed so he won't be doing that

uh, has it?
says august 22 online. . .

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply

Prev Next