Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Lacticturkey wrote:
Same here. I only heard that you could watch through tribattle.com but the landing page was in German and if I clicked the button for live nothing happened (like take you to a page counting down to the start or something).

I got a notification from lionels youtube that the Livestream was coming and it had a 'send a reminder button'. I knew the race started at 9 but didn't know when the live preamble would start. That reminder/invitation popped up while I was making breakfast, way before the start so it was easy.

Lionel added lots of gruelling emotions to the day making it more sport than exhibition.

I had been on the tri-battle website probably 100 times in the last week, even the english pages are not intuitive. And if you go to the page now there is no way to watch the race on-demand. Even though I went to the website first when I woke I couldn't find the feed. But, because I'm subscriber to Lionel I got the youtube notification and went to the app on my roku. In fact that's how I re-watched. But, I will say I also watched in part on the zwift youtube channel.

But if you follow Lionel or Talbot on instagram it was simple, they put the link in their story and boom. Easy peasy.

Right! Being subsscribed to Lionel, HJ, Sam Long etc on Instagram makes the videos (and in this case the live stream) hard to miss. It was super convenient. Man, I even watched short reels of Sam Long trying to fix his tire on Sunday. ;)
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [CementBottle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder how much money that generated for Lionel, 320K+ views whilst it isn't massive it isn't small either.
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [elecious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
elecious wrote:
I wonder how much money that generated for Lionel, 320K+ views whilst it isn't massive it isn't small either.

Not sure what money he would have made off JUST the tri-battle video, but because you asked:

Social Blade has his annual earnings between $4k - $60k. That's a HUGE range. His viewing numbers are up 250% in the last month which is probably mostly attributable to his race week series, which I think him and Talbot have done an amazing job at. Keep in mind, he pays Talbot to produce all this, so my guess is he comes out neutral but his subscriber count is steadily increasing. Up to 126k subscribers now. if he ever wins Kona, those numbers would go up significantly!!!

https://socialblade.com/youtube/c/lionelsanderstri
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [novaboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
novaboy wrote:
Gearup wrote:
Lionel most certainly had some fatigue in his body after CDA. The time difference plays a huge factor, and as someone pointed out going east is the worst. And how both these athletes handle all their other obligations is to be admired. that also must be a huge distraction.
However oddly enough most comments relating to the weather on race day were that it was to their disadvantage. I disagree and expected Lionel to go even faster with the cool conditions. the water was flat, the bike was wet and the marathon was 16 deg. rain and overcast.
Perhaps they both over biked? Lange would have run sub 2:30 in these conditions!
Thoughts?

It takes one day for every time zone crossed to recover from jet lag. I would have liked to see a well rested Lionel do this race. Jan is the GOAT without a doubt, but I think a well rested Lionel would have been a few minutes closer.

I'd like to think with his nutrition dialed in a bit better, and without the travel fatigue, Lionel goes sub 7:40.
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CPT Chaos wrote:
I don't get it. Any world record has to be such that it can be replicated for others to attempt to break or it can hardly be a legitimate record. Look at cycling, the only recognized world record is the hour, and that is tightly governed so as to ensure it can be replicated for future attempts.

For example, this course did not have transitions of note, which are clearly never a standard size but are part of all triathlons. This was a very cool demonstration of the sport's potential speed, but I would not even consider a race, let alone a world record. Maybe a course record, but then again it was not an actual course per se...

Anyone is free to replicate this effort - no issue at all. There are also a ton of world records for road racing - do you take issue with those?
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:
Gearup wrote:
Lionel most certainly had some fatigue in his body after CDA. The time difference plays a huge factor, and as someone pointed out going east is the worst. And how both these athletes handle all their other obligations is to be admired. that also must be a huge distraction.
However oddly enough most comments relating to the weather on race day were that it was to their disadvantage. I disagree and expected Lionel to go even faster with the cool conditions. the water was flat, the bike was wet and the marathon was 16 deg. rain and overcast.
Perhaps they both over biked? Lange would have run sub 2:30 in these conditions!
Thoughts?

Bike is slower and run is faster. That's been my experience. Wet surface slows you down. Definitely, cool air helps with the run.
Did you see Lionel's hands when he put running shoes on? They were frozen and he struggle a little. I know it because it happens to me all the time when I race in chilly weather.

I think the weather definitely affected the bike and run. They probably both got cold on the bike and even though the lower temperature helped on the run I imagine it was more than offset by running in water logged shoes and slipping on the pavement when running that fast.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [The Guardian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Please find one that is from a race outside of the track. Cycling has a lot of unique efforts that are noted as world records, but only those on the track are found in races. This is claimed to be the 'world record' for an Ironman (which is not even a race...) or IM distance race so keeping it apples to apples.

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [IntenseOne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IntenseOne wrote:
Have to agree with Monty. This was a legitimate course in a real Lake and on public roads, properly measured and certified. There was no possibility of drafting, or any of the accepted rules being broken. It was clearly the fastest anyone has ever completed an Ironman distance Triathlon, so absolutely a legitimate record.

+1

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This Aussie scientist does a good break down of the event

I can't believe Lionels heart is 15 percent more efficient. He is shorter but they weigh almost the same right? Jan definately looks more aero
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [Lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lacticturkey wrote:

I can't believe Lionels heart is 15 percent more efficient.

Lionel's heart is crazy. I remember his low BPM going up Mt. Lemmon. But, who cares about efficiency if you don't get the W?

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [CementBottle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If he makes enough from youtube ads to pay Talbot (including travel and other expenses), that would be phenomenal. I imagine the purpose of the channel, from the money standpoint, is to get better terms from sponsors.

plant_based wrote:
Lionel's heart is crazy. I remember his low BPM going up Mt. Lemmon. But, who cares about efficiency if you don't get the W?

A low heart rate simply means a larger heart. His max is like 160, so his zones are lower.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Last edited by: kajet: Jul 20, 21 14:59
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I looked at a photo gallery (by Zwift Tri Battle), I noticed two things about LS, that seem odd and certainly do not help to get the maximum out of himself:
  1. Arm pads that do not fit his arm position - maybe just a snapshot when he was moving his arms around and typically its fits well. But looks awkward to me.
  2. Not shaving the full leg. Well, shave your legs or not (was there not a wind tunnel test with Jesse T.?), but don't do kind of "I shave a good portion of the leg"

Thoughts?

Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [motorcity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really? Really seems like a stretch to call these reasons why he can't get the max out of himself.

I think I remember reading that the flat armrest is intentional. Could be his preference
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lionel is always shifting and shuffling about on the bike, chances are he needs flat arm rest to allow this sort of movement rather than being locked in.
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
Really? Really seems like a stretch to call these reasons why he can't get the max out of himself.

I think I remember reading that the flat armrest is intentional. Could be his preference

Well, I probably missed to add a smiley to the second bullet point. But I needed to smile when I saw that picture ... such a perfect "race" day setup (despite the weather) and then legs are not completely shaved? Anyway...

The first point is a serious on though. I am surprised to see the flat pads. Might help him to feel comfortable and support his style of shuffling (as TRO Saracen pointed out). But still something to notice for those who might wonder why same wattage does not mean same speed...
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [motorcity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motorcity wrote:
BigBoyND wrote:

Well, I probably missed to add a smiley to the second bullet point. But I needed to smile when I saw that picture ... such a perfect "race" day setup (despite the weather) and then legs are not completely shaved? Anyway...

The first point is a serious on though. I am surprised to see the flat pads. Might help him to feel comfortable and support his style of shuffling (as TRO Saracen pointed out). But still something to notice for those who might wonder why same wattage does not mean same speed...

Could it be calibration of powermeters between Jan and Lionel. Also I think Jan's shoulders are narrower than Lionel's. But Jan's legs are longer so not sure which is worse.
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was thinking the same thing with regards to the powermeters..

I believe for one of his last races he mentioned about a difference between his trainer and the powermeter on the bike which cause quite a big discrepancy in the power numbers he thought he was doing, and then in one of the videos leading up to the race where they show him his new bike the Canyon rep says something about a new Quarq being fitted so I immediately thought 'this could cause some issues again for him with regards to calibration or whatever'.
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [Tri_Joeri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri_Joeri wrote:
I was thinking the same thing with regards to the powermeters..

I believe for one of his last races he mentioned about a difference between his trainer and the powermeter on the bike which cause quite a big discrepancy in the power numbers he thought he was doing, and then in one of the videos leading up to the race where they show him his new bike the Canyon rep says something about a new Quarq being fitted so I immediately thought 'this could cause some issues again for him with regards to calibration or whatever'.

My conclusion is you have a different FTP depending on what power meter you are on....by that I mean, three powermeters could read 196, 200, 204 watts (+/- 2 percent), so between two in the extreme you can have an 8W difference centered 200W or 12W difference centered on 300W.

So you basically need to get a feel for which one of you powermeters trend which way. Its not that hard to figure out, but you have to ride a fair amount to get the feel for which one reads higher or lower. Usually a few solid FTP tests at your limit gives the answer. It's like swimming at a fast pool and slow pool. Eventually you know that one pool gives you lower numbers.
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Talbot were is the post Race flog? It's been over 4 days! heheh

Joke apart looking forward to it! :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

You can do some back of the napkin calculations to see it all makes sense

4h 180km = 45km/h. For a total mass of 80kg, flat course, no wind, crr = 0.004 (wet), guessing an air density, a 0.230 cda will give 300watts
5 minutes slower, same watts would be a cda of 0.245.

It's not hard to believe that the way Lionel moves on the bike, round bottles on the downtube, ....it's very easy to see that a .015 cda difference make. It's probably the sum of a bunch of detail. IMO, more probable than PM differences

What is interesting is that if these are the numbers, he's basically where he was in 2016.

He should go to his track UCI position :-)
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you saying that Jan's longer leg disadvantage on CdA is more than compensated for by Lionel's broader shoulders, thicker legs and wider pedaling style and motion, meaning he needs more watts to go 5 min slower? I did not see Lionel's position last week relative to his position at the velodrome when he did 51.3 kph.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Are you saying that Jan's longer leg disadvantage on CdA is more than compensated for by Lionel's broader shoulders, thicker legs and wider pedaling style and motion, meaning he needs more watts to go 5 min slower? I did not see Lionel's position last week relative to his position at the velodrome when he did 51.3 kph.

I am saying that the difference in watts and speed is easily explained by their respective CDAs. Just the bottle on the down tube cost him 5w. The way he fights with the bike while Jan is silky smooth cost him.

I am not convinced his position is a step forward for him. He was never s smooth cyclist but he isn't getting any better. And if we guess at his CDA, it matches what we see. I am not seeing a bike step forward on the bike.

But I am impressed with his swim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
I am saying that the difference in watts and speed is easily explained by their respective CDAs. Just the bottle on the down tube cost him 5w. The way he fights with the bike while Jan is silky smooth cost him.

I agree that the difference can be explained by their CdAs. But what types of body movements do increase CdA? The legs have to move in order to go forward. Is a stable upper body more aero than a moving one?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But I am impressed with his swim.//

It really was just more of what he has done in the past. A 51 minute wetsuit swim on top of a cable to go completely straight, is more like the 54/55 or so he does in Kona. We really wouldn't know if Jan wasn't there beating him by 5 minutes for comparison. Lionel loses another minute or two taking off the wetsuits to swimmers of Jan's abilities, and there you have ther normal Kona separation we see from him at ironmans. I know everyone is very excited about his 50 minute swim( I say 51 because it was 2 seconds shy), but in context it was a normal swim for him, and not really any breakthrough. He just has not developed that 200 speed one needs to get in the right group, so he will be relegated to swim with a bunch of guys he crushes in the pool on distance sets...
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [BergHugi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BergHugi wrote:

I agree that the difference can be explained by their CdAs. But what types of body movements do increase CdA? The legs have to move in order to go forward. Is a stable upper body more aero than a moving one?

I have seen in TTs, when there is a lot of lateral rocking of the bike, small oversteering and the movement of the head and shoulders, CDA increases. It is very obvious in the last 5 minutes of my Thursday night TTs when I'm struggling in the last 4km
Quote Reply

Prev Next