Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd actually like to see a Woods vs Sanders duathlon. Woods is world class when it gets steep, but a horrific TT'er, bike handler, descender, and tactician. Also a 4 minute miler.
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [bretzky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bretzky wrote:
I'd actually like to see a Woods vs Sanders duathlon. Woods is world class when it gets steep, but a horrific TT'er, bike handler, descender, and tactician. Also a 4 minute miler.

Forget about a duathlon. Cycling and the Hour record is not Lionel's main sport (it's just a side show that is part of prepping for tri) and the hour record is not Wood's main event (but the TT is just one component of road racing). Let's put them on the track back to back 2 hrs in Milton. Best man wins. I give Lionel 6 laps on Woods (meaning Woods does not break 50kph).
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
bretzky wrote:

Forget about a duathlon. Cycling and the Hour record is not Lionel's main sport (it's just a side show that is part of prepping for tri) and the hour record is not Wood's main event (but the TT is just one component of road racing). Let's put them on the track back to back 2 hrs in Milton. Best man wins. I give Lionel 6 laps on Woods (meaning Woods does not break 50kph).

Lol have you seed Woods TT? Tour of Romandie Stage 5 he fell from 1st to 5th and looked like he'd have trouble winning a 40-45 AG title.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Engner66 wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
mkq wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
You do know we're talking about a guy who is literally a world class cyclist here. (Who is not classically trained AT ALL) I don't think Jan will lose, but the disrespect Lionel gets on this board never makes sense to me.

As has been said before: Just because people believe this is not a close match-up, does not mean anyone is disrespecting Lionel. Lionel is not a “world class cyclist”, even I know that. The course plays to his strengths in that it is about power vs cycling ability but there is really no indication based on past performance, 2021 form or preparation that suggests Lionel has a great shot here.

There is always a chance but the hype and expectation that people are trying to put on Lionel is likely actually more unfair to him than a realistic assessment of the situation.

Hold that thought of Lionel not being a world class cyclist. On the velodrome over the hour damn right is he is world class. he rode 51.3 kph at sea level with near zero former velodrome training and beat Jen Voigt's time. He holds the Canadian hour record and likely would smoke Canadian Michael Woods who is a world class cyclist (most recently duking it out for Polka dot and UCI Worlds Bronze in Innsbruck).

I would agree he is no world class cyclist on a technical protour road race, but on today's TT at the TdF Lionel would hold his own as he proved at the hour record.

This is Sanders fanboyism at its best and very disrespectful towards Woods, who is one of the best cyclists in the world.

In a time trial, yes, maybe Sanders could beat Woods. In a road race, not a chance in hell.

You might struggle with this concept since you watch a lot of cycling but haven't figure it out yet, but road cycling encompasses much more than being a good time trialist.

I was talking about Lionel being world class over one hour on the velodrome. I said he would not be world class in a road race (for all the reasons we and he know). I think you just like to dive in any chance you can concoct to pick a fight with me. Woods has shown little ability in TTs to suggest he would take the canadian hour record on the velodrome. Bottom line Lionel has that record. No Canadian pro cyclist has ever gone that fast. They can give it a go if they want but they are not because it's not an easy number to defeat.

It is totally possible to be world class in one discipline. The discipline I was focused on is the hour record. And this one translates directly to this race with Jan.

To be fair, you just said “world class cyclist” and did not specify. I think it is also fair that most people would assume that means the various components of cycling.

As for tonight, Jan is predicting 310W whereas Lionel has cited IMAZ type watts (>315). It is still very unlikely that Lionel will be able to match Jan off the bike after spending all his energy catching him. Lionel has also stated he wants to catch and pass him if possible on the bike. While that seems the only time he can catch him given past running performances, he has to know that if Jan sees him coming by, he will know the ridiculous amount of energy LS will have expended.

Triathlon is not a 1hour time trial or 112m time trial. Starky proves that every time he is run down.
Last edited by: mkq: Jul 17, 21 20:00
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [mkq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mkq wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Engner66 wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
mkq wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
You do know we're talking about a guy who is literally a world class cyclist here. (Who is not classically trained AT ALL) I don't think Jan will lose, but the disrespect Lionel gets on this board never makes sense to me.

As has been said before: Just because people believe this is not a close match-up, does not mean anyone is disrespecting Lionel. Lionel is not a “world class cyclist”, even I know that. The course plays to his strengths in that it is about power vs cycling ability but there is really no indication based on past performance, 2021 form or preparation that suggests Lionel has a great shot here.

There is always a chance but the hype and expectation that people are trying to put on Lionel is likely actually more unfair to him than a realistic assessment of the situation.

Hold that thought of Lionel not being a world class cyclist. On the velodrome over the hour damn right is he is world class. he rode 51.3 kph at sea level with near zero former velodrome training and beat Jen Voigt's time. He holds the Canadian hour record and likely would smoke Canadian Michael Woods who is a world class cyclist (most recently duking it out for Polka dot and UCI Worlds Bronze in Innsbruck).

I would agree he is no world class cyclist on a technical protour road race, but on today's TT at the TdF Lionel would hold his own as he proved at the hour record.

This is Sanders fanboyism at its best and very disrespectful towards Woods, who is one of the best cyclists in the world.

In a time trial, yes, maybe Sanders could beat Woods. In a road race, not a chance in hell.

You might struggle with this concept since you watch a lot of cycling but haven't figure it out yet, but road cycling encompasses much more than being a good time trialist.

I was talking about Lionel being world class over one hour on the velodrome. I said he would not be world class in a road race (for all the reasons we and he know). I think you just like to dive in any chance you can concoct to pick a fight with me. Woods has shown little ability in TTs to suggest he would take the canadian hour record on the velodrome. Bottom line Lionel has that record. No Canadian pro cyclist has ever gone that fast. They can give it a go if they want but they are not because it's not an easy number to defeat.

It is totally possible to be world class in one discipline. The discipline I was focused on is the hour record. And this one translates directly to this race with Jan.

To be fair, you just said “world class cyclist” and did not specify. I think it is also fair that most people would assume that means the various components of cycling.

As for tonight, Jan is predicting 310W whereas Lionel has cited IMAZ type watts (>315). It is still very unlikely that Lionel will be able to match Jan off the bike after spending all his energy catching him. Lionel has also stated he wants to catch and pass him if possible on the bike. While that seems the only time he can catch him given past running performances, he has to know that if Jan sees him coming by, he will know the ridiculous amount of energy LS will have expended.

Triathlon is not a 1hour time trial or 112m time trial. Starky proves that every time he is run down.

OK I did say on the velodrome on the hour record he is and on a road stage no. But in case it is unclear, I just wrote it again. He's just world class in one discipline in cycling.

I think people are under estimating what Lionel is capable of if he is on. He did 7:44 at IM Arizona and that included a 2:42 run. His performance in St. George suggests he has similar fitness. Lets see if he can get back to proper pacing for IM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope he can too. I don’t mind being wrong on things like this. Being from Ireland, I am programmed to hope for the underdog.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love all these “when Lionel catches Jan on the bike”. This race will be over after the swim. Two athletes in two different leagues.
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turningscrews wrote:
I love all these “when Lionel catches Jan on the bike”. This race will be over after the swim. Two athletes in two different leagues.

BINGO!!!!!! This thought that its close is some Quanon crazy shit.
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
turningscrews wrote:

BINGO!!!!!! This thought that its close is some Quanon crazy shit.

It would be helpful if people would apply some reading comprehension before they post. Most ppl are clearly stating that the bike would really only be his opportunity since he will be coming out of the water ages behind.

I am getting fed up with the 2 extreme sides of this debate. It is either Lionel is useless or Lionel is a god.
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
zedzded wrote:
Sanders will get drilled in this race, it should be all over about 500m into the swim, but I think to make "good television" Frodo will go easy on Sanders and make it look like a race. I wouldn't be surprised if they get off the bike together and then at some point Frodo will drop the hammer in the run.

i couldn't agree less with what you just wrote. first, frodeno is going for the record. he's not going to sit up to make good tv. second, the only thing that'll be over 500m into the swim is who exits the swim first, and they don't even need to get wet for us to know that.

Forgot he was going for the record.
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is this event a full ironman? I just watched the youtube video and he said 2 loops of 750 meters for the swim?

Strava:https://www.strava.com/athletes/20890878
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [Lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lacticturkey wrote:
He's running in the Hoka rocket x 2 with carbon plate

Yes, it has one of the components of a super shoe. And it's not the one that Nike said makes a difference.
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uno mas video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-pMqj3Bq1M

mkq wrote:

That wasn't Dev, that was me. And you know exactly what I was referencing. However, given that. I'd love to see him get an invite to a team. He has an elite level ability to just suffer and his ability to just pound watts in the TT position is immense.

So, to be clear, Lionel is World Class in the Individual Time Trial. He has proven this. And it's time for people to cut the crap and just admit he is a very good athlete and a really good pro.

For the record, I used to be a lionel denier...not sure you could call me a hater, but his previous desire to do everything indoors just irked me.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Last edited by: TheStroBro: Jul 17, 21 22:01
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Uno mas video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-pMqj3Bq1M

mkq wrote:

That wasn't Dev, that was me. And you know exactly what I was referencing. However, given that. I'd love to see him get an invite to a team. He has an elite level ability to just suffer and his ability to just pound watts in the TT position is immense.

So, to be clear, Lionel is World Class in the Individual Time Trial. He has proven this. And it's time for people to cut the crap and just admit he is a very good athlete and a really good pro.

For the record, I used to be a lionel denier...not sure you could call me a hater, but his previous desire to do everything indoors just irked me.

Apologies if I misattributed quotations earlier. I actually did not know what you meant until Dev clarified.

I agree, the man is an inspiration and a beast. Multiple things can be true. He can be that and still be mismatched here (even on a course set up for his strengths).

Still, I am hoping for a close race and a world record. It would be amazing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think someone only said that Lionel could compete in a pro tt when the other riders are on the 20th day of a tour after mountains

In case anyone is thinking of googling if they need to rotate the pace cars for charging.........Mercedes EQ has 478 mile range
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [Lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How much time can the swim cable save? Will it favour one athlete more?

The zero distance transition could save one or two minutes. Plus nicer for muscles not to run in bare feet after biking. But could a relaxed transition actually help overall?

Was Kona 2019 the same year when Jan got the record and also waited to check on Sebastian because he got glass in his foot in the transition?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
trimike77 wrote:
I just don't think that Lionel's psyche would allow him to stop short of the finish line. True, in the scenario you lay out, most professional athletes would pull out of the event; however, this is not just a payday for Lionel. Nor is he like most professional athletes.

If you listen to Lionel talk finishing every race he starts is paramount. It seems in his mind it is more important to finish what he starts on a given day even when things unravel than to pack it in and save it for another race. He just has a totally different mindset from most pro level athletes.

I personally like it as it's more I'm line with the approach of the rank and file age group athlete who does not have another race to save it for. We get that race on that day and get it done fast or slow but we get it done because on Monday we go to our day job and make money and don't have an option of going to another race. Lionel has the option of another race and he can't get money going to the office on Monday but he still plows thru like the rest of us. This is why so many amateurs join his fan club . He is a faster version of us.

Totally agree. Of course it could happen: something could happen to force him to DNF. But anyone who thinks that's the likely outcome (tactically inspired or otherwise), hasn't listened to any of his discussions on what "no limits" actually means to him. It seems to me that "no limits" to Lionel is never more relevant than when applied to the decision of whether or not to DNF.

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [domingjm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jan looks nervous about breaking the record.

Lionel looks nervous racing against Jan.
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [907Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK monty, here we go.
you owe me a beer - first sunny day in 2 weeks and i'm staring at a screen!

swim warmup underway now. . .
lionel as usual was futzing with a HRM strap that didn't want to pair while jan was in the water getting a warmup in. now that the coverage has started it looks proper classy. actual talking heads with mics and a much clearer description of what the whole thing is about.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sadly though, the coverage is also a bit glitchy - no audio for helle and paul, and some jumping back and forth.

anyway, only a few minutes to go!

Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hope they get the commentators mics fixed. Will be a real bummer to have that missing!
Quote Reply
Re: LIONEL VS JAN. the semi-official race day thread [JBell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And fixed just in time for the start! Let's goooooooooooo!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jan’s leading!!!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
here we goo!!!!

Tridad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well, 3.5 minutes in and the conditions look pretty glassy. jan is out front, maybe 10 meters ahead. no splits or pace data, yet.

Quote Reply

Prev Next