Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [moonshine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IMTX
1) 197 watts (AP)
2) 22.0 mph
3) 112 miles
4) 173 lbs
5) Cannondale Slice, Hed Jet 6 front, Hed Jet 9 rear, Conti GP4000S clinchers, latex tubes
6) Flat and fast course in hot, sunny, humid weather with decent breeze

Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [ludlaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ludlaw wrote:
1. 282w
2. 26.1 mph (57:02)
3. 40km +/-
4. 162 lbs
5. Cervelo P4 with Stinger 9 on front and Zipp 900 disc on back.
6. Out and back course with one hill (1:45 minutes @ 3-4% grade). Two right angle turns and a turnaround. Headwind of 5-7 going out; tailwind back. Decent asphalt road surface with some mud clods left by farm tractors.

That seems fast for the wattage. Nice job.

1. 296W
2. 22.9mph
3. 40km (Oly)
4. 178 lbs
5. Trek TTX with 404 front, Zipp 900 rear, latex, Bontrager R4 tires, aero helmet, Profile Design HC bottle.
6. Flat out and back course with 26 right angle turns and one small climb to the turnaround. Total climbing according to my 310XT was 554 feet.

Does this seem slow for the wattage? Does to me. Same position as this without the Bontrager bottle, bento, down tube cage, and rear bottles.

Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [ninesixfour] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Approx 300 watts and you're only doing less than 23?? Yeah that really slow I think 300 watts would get me that on my road bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) 201 NP
2) 21.8 MPH
3) 29 miles
4) 138 pounds
5) Felt B16, Flo 60/90
6) 46° with 17mph winds, windchill at 38°.
7) Not the best photo, but it'll have to do. Was happy to go sub 40:00 in the run despite not being able to feel my feet for the first three miles.

Last edited by: 317: Jun 4, 13 21:25
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
26.95 mph at 282 watts over 14.5 miles

Venge, Flo 60 front, 32 spoke CPX22 rear. Air attack helmet, short sleeve skin suit.

It was at 5,000 feet, but still pretty speedy for a road bike, no aero bars with an awfully modest power output.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
26.95 mph at 282 watts over 14.5 miles

Venge, Flo 60 front, 32 spoke CPX22 rear. Air attack helmet, short sleeve skin suit.

It was at 5,000 feet, but still pretty speedy for a road bike, no aero bars with an awfully modest power output.
Yeah that's crazy fast, especially for a road bike. What am I doing wrong?
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [moonshine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
still doesn't jive no matter how hot your coach is into aero testing.

I've gone 29.3mph on 316w for 39k, 30.6mph on 360w for 10.2mi, and a few years back did 51:44 on 300w. But how does that validate your <0.21 claim?

really it doesn't matter what the number is, still a nice job
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These are Xavier's credentials and his clients.
http://www.aero-coach.com/who-we-are/4570337598
I trust his analysis over a random bloke on the net What are your credentials?
I believe my power and drag figures are reasonable and equate to my speeds / times, but course conditions / heavy traffic assist or drafting will skew drag numbers down and give unrepresentative power / time ratios. I know the conditions where my drag analysis are not affected by these factors.
I'm prob in top 10 at TT in Scotland (amateur) and will be riding in British Champs in 2 weeks, so will get an idea on how I compare against the countries best.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Xavier is finalising his PhD in rider position/optimisation "

What university offers this doctorate? Who's on the faculty?

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
University of Birmingham (UK).
Not sure of faculty details.
http://www.rstsport.com/...hes-coach-xavier.htm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pretty sure your country's best will be going 30mph+, even if they have worse cda than you. how you place there will not reflect what your actual cda happens to be, which I said was a moot point, as it is what it is. Good luck at the main event, ought to be a blast

never been a random bloke before :)-

Quote:
I'm prob in top 10 at TT in Scotland (amateur)

Let's see, population...Scottland:5.3 mil, WI: 5.8 mil. (good apples to kiwi fruit comparison) As long as we are throwing out amateur ranks...me: top 1 last 3 years, you: probably top 10. I win ;) while fully realizing than in the big pic, I suck and I humbly plan on getting my arse handed to me at elite nat TT in 4 weeks here in US.

As I said, nice times for you, I just don't think your cda is what you think it is. As has been shown many times in the past, good probability of my being wrong, so who knows. But, if you haven't done actual testing of some kind, then you don't really know. Sounds like maybe you have though.

Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crit race in San Antonio

1) Average watts - 207 NP - 265
2) Average speed in MPH - 21.8 mph
3) Distance - 13 miles
4) Rider weight - 145 lbs
5) Describe bike and wheels - 10 to 15 year old aluminum frame road bike with Mavic open pros

671 feet of climbing
Last edited by: rsseric12: Jun 5, 13 14:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A local TT in April, I did this last year @ 211 watts @ 24 mph in 33:16

1) 240 avg power
2) 25.3 MPH
3) 13.2 miles in 31:24
4) 150 pounds
5) 2009 Felt B16, 808 firecrest front, 900 disc, latex tubes and gp4000's, skinsuit, shoe covers, aero helmet
6) Pretty much no wind on a flat loop course, temp 65 F. Pretty ideal conditions that day.
7) Dont have a good side photo. Nothing to complain about really. Was hoping for better than 4th out of 46 in Cat 5 lol.

http://www.fraserbicycle.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
Approx 300 watts and you're only doing less than 23?? Yeah that really slow I think 300 watts would get me that on my road bike.

Suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [ninesixfour] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
26 90-degree turns? Pick a straighter course!

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PM not calibrated? Super windy? Brakes dragging? Bearings really messed up?

I'm getting a CdA in the .35-40 range for you... which is really bad. .25 would be good for someone your size.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah that's what I was thinking. Something is not making sense. I was thinking powermeter not calibrated right. Nothing from the picture looks that bad to cause that horrendous of a Cda.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [nord0296] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2 More to Share... these both with nearly the same setup:
-2009 Felt B16
-SRAM S60 front wheel
-PowerTap Pro laced to a Velocity A23 rim with a disc cover rear
-GP4000s w/ standard butyl tubes @ 115 PSI. Caffelatex sealant in rear.
-Giro Advantage 2 Aero helmet

Oly Tri:
1) 267W Average Power, 274 NP, 1.024 VI
2) 22.2 MPH
3) 24.61 miles in 1:06:39
4) 190 pounds
5) setup is listed above...
6) Some small rolling hills and noticeable wind (~10 mph). The wind was the usual headwind, tailwind, and crosswind given the course layout. With the same setup last year, on the same course, I rode 1 mph faster on 30 less watts.

Local ~11 Mile TT (out and back):
1) 333 Average Power, 335 NP, 1.006 VI
2) 24.8 MPH
3) 10.93 miles in 26:30
4) 190 pounds
6) Out and back with some short ups and downs, total climb ~550 ft. Tailwind of about 13 mph going out but headwind coming back.

I originally thought my CdA was awful with these numbers, but looking at the TT I am getting something in the range of 0.28 in aerolab... Not that it is a good number, but I had originally estimated > 0.32. Perhaps I am using the tool wrong,
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [nord0296] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What was the wind at bike level? What was your speed going out vs coming back? Was there a net elevation gain or loss at the turn around?
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Hairy Legs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. Average Power: 252 watts (NP 260 watts)
2. Average Speed: 35.7 kph
3. Distance: 91.8 km
4. Rider weight: 80 kg (181 lb)
5. Scott Plasma Premium 2013 | Hed Jet 6 C2 front and rear

Oliver Half Iron. Ridiculous headwind. Averaged 10 watts more than LY and almost 2 minutes slower.

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nord0296 wrote:
2 More to Share... these both with nearly the same setup:
-2009 Felt B16
-SRAM S60 front wheel
-PowerTap Pro laced to a Velocity A23 rim with a disc cover rear
-GP4000s w/ standard butyl tubes @ 115 PSI. Caffelatex sealant in rear.
-Giro Advantage 2 Aero helmet

Local ~11 Mile TT (out and back):
1) 333 Average Power, 335 NP, 1.006 VI
2) 24.8 MPH
3) 10.93 miles in 26:30
4) 190 pounds
6) Out and back with some short ups and downs, total climb ~550 ft. Tailwind of about 13 mph going out but headwind coming back.

I originally thought my CdA was awful with these numbers, but looking at the TT I am getting something in the range of 0.28 in aerolab... Not that it is a good number, but I had originally estimated > 0.32. Perhaps I am using the tool wrong,

If you're really only getting 40 km/h out of 333 watts on that setup (assuming everything is calibrated correctly) then you have a lot to gain by working on positioning.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [smetz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2013 Black Bear Olympic Triathlon:

1) Average watts - 220
2) Average speed in MPH - 18.1
3) Distance - 24.0 miles
4) Rider weight - 182
5) Describe bike and wheels - Felt B16, HED Jet 6 front, PT laced Open Pro w/disk cover rear
6) Misc notes, to whine and make excuses for your lack of power and/or lack of aero
Very hilly/tough course (2400 ft elev gain) and I held back a lot going downhill due to the rain. I crashed in the rain when I was new to the sport, and it still haunts me to this day. Threw a chain at the bottom of a hill when I was about to start the climb so I lost a minute or two fixing the problem. I also accidentally ran over and killed a chipmunk... the god's were against me from that point forward.
7) Optional: a picture (or link to a picture) of you in your aero position.

Overall finish time was 2:38:30, Finish Place 10/28 AG, 47/228 OA

Last edited by: smetz: Jun 5, 13 10:13
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wind at bike level... I guess I have to see if I can find a source for that data.

The nearest wunderground station doesn't seem to show how high it is mounted but it shows a consistent 10 mph wind with gusts of around 20 mph throughout the time of the TT. Direction was consistent, pretty much straight head/tail wind.

Start / finish @ 1022 ft
Turn around @ 995 ft
(net descent of 27 ft going out, ascent coming back)

Going out avg was = 27.0 mph with AP of 327W
Coming back was = 22.8 mph with AP of 338W

Roads were wet, light rain on and off.

See if this shows up for an image...

I 'felt' like I held my position pretty consistently... but only an observer watching the whole ride would know for sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
PM not calibrated? Super windy? Brakes dragging? Bearings really messed up?

I'm getting a CdA in the .35-40 range for you... which is really bad. .25 would be good for someone your size.

I'm 6'3" if that makes a difference. Power numbers are in line with what I've put out since I've had power, about 2.5 years. Using a 3 week old Quarq that wasn't zeroed on race morning but was the day before.
I was doing 23.4 until the turnaround which was at the top of the only climb, maybe 1/4 mile at 6%. Average speed dropped to 22.8 at the bottom, and average power went up about 3W over the 2nd half. I spoke to the winner who went 24mph and he was saying he thought it was windy but it didn't seem too bad to me.
Here's the file and thanks for the help.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/321765439
Last edited by: ninesixfour: Jun 5, 13 11:55
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Landyachtz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's what I'm hoping to find (some aero improvement).

PowerTap was 'calibrated.' My data is surprisingly consistent day-to-day -- rode just hammering and ended up within 2W NP of my last effort on the same course and ended up within 2 seconds.

Maybe it will be easier to lower my CdA than improve my FTP :)
Quote Reply

Prev Next