Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [borncrazy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i was there today, thats a phenomenal pace, especially heading north towards perth with the wind..I could only manage 33.4km/h (20.7mph) av pace. I have been crook though, so im keeping that excuse!

borncrazy wrote:
1) 219
2) 37.8km/h (23.6mph)
3) 89km (55.6) (Mandurah 70.3)
4) 73kg (160)
5) Trek 1000 road bike converted to tri bike, disc cover on powertap training wheel, old mavic cosmic front, 20mm conti supersonic tires, giro selector
6) Nothing really, I'm pretty happy with that.
7) Same as this but 1cm lower at the front, had a saddle bag and a round bottle on the down tube, there's also a bottle between my arms
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [borncrazy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. 264AP, 268NP
2. 22mph
3. 56 (Rev3 Anderson)
4. 180 lbs
5. Trek TTX with covered 808 and 404 front, latex tubes, Bontrager R4 tires
6. 1400 feet of climbing according to Garmin, 2800 on Strava
7. Pic is from IM Wisconsin but the setup is the same.

Last edited by: ninesixfour: Oct 21, 12 15:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
borncrazy wrote:
1) 219
2) 37.8km/h (23.6mph)
3) 89km (55.6) (Mandurah 70.3)
4) 73kg (160)
5) Trek 1000 road bike converted to tri bike, disc cover on powertap training wheel, old mavic cosmic front, 20mm conti supersonic tires, giro selector
6) Nothing really, I'm pretty happy with that.
7) Same as this but 1cm lower at the front, had a saddle bag and a round bottle on the down tube, there's also a bottle between my arms

Who needs a 10,000 dollar carbon superbike, that is impressive. Bike and numbers.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Will132] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) 173AP 184NP
2) 20.3MPH
3) 55.4Miles (Poconos 70.3)
4) 170lbs
5) Trek Speed Concept 9, Reynolds Strike with Aerodisc
6) TrainingPeaks activity - http://www.trainingpeaks.com/...R2AKIKZQZQHBLEDOI54A
7) It was f---ing cold....

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1.) 183 Avg 199 NP (not a very good day sadly)
2.) 22.36mph
3.) 56mi (Augusta)
4.) 150lbs
5.) Planet X Stealth, H3 (bonty 19mm) and PT+cover (GP Time Trial 23mm)
6.) I was stuck in the last men's wave, so I spent way too much time going above my target watts trying to pass the packs or riding my brakes trying to dodge people weaving all over the road :( Waaahhh.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [ninesixfour] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. 224 ap/229 np
2. 26.6 mph
3. 24.95 mi (Longleaf international)
4. 155lbs
5. 2011 Cervelo P2 808FC front, HED Belgium rear w/ disc cover, vittoria latex tubes, conti gp4000s tires
6. Flat course, 10mph head wind for 8 miles
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [ffmedic84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) 221 (224 Normalised)
2) 24mph (38.8kph)
3) 53 miles (89km (mandurah 70.3))
4) 160.5 pounds (72.8kg)

5) (2008?) Scott Plasma Pro CR1 Frame (team edition) - custom build. Zipp 808 Aluminium clinchers. GP4000s. Conti superlight tubes. Bottle between the bars. One on the frame. Spares in a plastic holder in the other cage on the frame.
6) Flat & fast. Normally ~130 ave bpm for that power but was 154 ave bpm. Go figure. Only managed to drink 1litre on the bike and take 4 gels, spewed 3 times and ran most the way with an almighty stitch which kind of sucked in the run.

7) Kinda like this: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ing=lzbones;#4173984 excecpt with 1 spacer removed, the stem flipped around (horizontal/not angled up) and all bottles and holders removed from the back.
Last edited by: LzBones: Oct 22, 12 6:17
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not a TT...but a sprint tri with a 400 yard swim so basically the same thing

1) AP: 284 NP: 304
2) 23.4
3) 13 miles
4) 193lbs 6'4"
5) 2003? Cervelo Dual 61, Mavic Open Pro Wheels w/powetap and wheelbuilder disc cover
6) first time wearing an aero helmet (old, have no idea what model...guy who gave it to me said "it's out of date"), first time using disc cover, first time racing by power even though I have had the PM for almost two years now (all mtb'ing this year). My fit was for long course...partly by necessity because I am so not flexible. I had my career 5K after this ride so I must have done something right.
7) don't have a picture, but if I did I am pretty sure it would define turtle or look like Igor

Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [LzBones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From the stats in the link to your photos it says you averaged 38.8 at 291 watts, how did you go the same speed with 70 watts less? I wouldn't think a few centimetres lower and rear bottles would make a 70 watt difference.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [big_vern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice! Sounds like we have the same body composition, but I am barely moving at that wattage. I need to put out another 100 watts to go that speed. I would love to see a pic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
borncrazy wrote:
From the stats in the link to your photos it says you averaged 38.8 at 291 watts, how did you go the same speed with 70 watts less? I wouldn't think a few centimetres lower and rear bottles would make a 70 watt difference.

Good point - I've been wondering the same thing myself. Though taking the Garmin speed, not the race report speed, Mandurah was 38.4km/hr - though 70 watts less should equate to much more than 0.4km/hr.

Also, of interest is I should have actually been more aero at the 38.8/291 watts ride as I rode with 2 less spaces and no bottles at all. Some theories I have - what do you think?

1) At the Mandurah 70.3 I zeroed the power meter before the swim start and 'think' I pedalled backwards 4 times near the start of the ride. Could the zeroing be out meaning it was more power than recorded (many also explain why hr was higher than expected. Liklelihood: unkown.

2) Wind assistance. To me the 38.8/291 watts ride always seems like a massive head wind for the 4 laps even when people say it was still. At Mandurah, the head wind on the way out never felt too bad and coming back I was sometimes cruising at 45+ kph for < 200 watts (5 km @ 45kph @ 200 watts). Seems most likely to me.

3) 808s + GP4000S + light weight tubes + drink bottles + higher handler bars is way more aero than 800+900+ Pro Race 3 - drink bottles + lower handle bars + heavy tubes. Seems unlikely.

4) In the 291 watts ride I probably looked at the power meter quiet often, and also backwards to see who was behind me. After reading about how looking down with a long aero helmet like the speed demon was worse than no aero helmet because of the tail sticking straight up in the air, I have made a big effort to look straight ahead for the entire ride. Likelihood: Some value but not 70 watts.

Heres links to the 2 files.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/156674723
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/236369653

Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [LzBones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, I can actually make a post in this thread for the first time, and maybe the last as I am not a huge fan of power. But I did race Kona with a bike that had a power meter even though I raced by HR and didn't watch power.
Total Time- 4:59:43 (adjusted for my 4min stop in the penalty tent). The power numbers and cadence include the 4min of being stopped.
112 miles @ 22.42mph
Average HR 133
NP- 206
V1- 1.06 Cadence 88
I am just about 5'10", maybe a tad under, and weighed 153.8 race morning. I did not calibrate the PM before the start but did a few days earlier.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Last edited by: Bryancd: Oct 23, 12 15:34
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just got a powertap wheel and did the local club TT course.

1) 324 watts
2) 38.7kph (24mph)
3) 13.86km (8.6m)
4) 205lbs
5) Hybrid frame set up in a TT position. Standard road wheels with 700x28C Durano Plus tires.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [AngrySaki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) 201w Avg 205 NP

2) 22.3mph

3) 56mi

4) 150lbs

5) Kestrel 4000 with a 2004 HED Jet 60 front (Vittoria EVO Cx with Butyl. Had a flat in T1 so had to change latex). Velocity 20mm PT training wheel rear.(Vittoria EVO Cx Vittoria Latex. Found out just b4 race that the wheelcover does not jive with the Kestrel frame)

6) Looking at the times for the full distance guys above, I have a world of work to do on the bike. Also it seems that I might not be real aero b/c 22.3mph was on a flat course (Beach 2 Battleship). There was some headwind, but nothing like Kona. It seems like people in this thread would be going way quicker on 201avg.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rev3 Florida

1) 210 (214np)
2) 22.5mph
3) 56
4) 180lbs
5) 808 FC with buytl tubes and GP4000S
6) Battled 20-25mph winds with gust of 30. waaaah

Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [yatyas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AP 169, 173 NP
21.06 mph
56 mi (Austin 70.3)
148 lbs
P2, Hed Jet 6/9 w/disc cover rear, Vittoria Corso Evo 23, Latex, Advantage 2 rigged with windscreen, 1 bottle between aerobars, no other bottles, with a five minute eyeball fit from ATC.

Some chip seal, some bumpy patches, some smooth. 1500' elevation gain per Garmin. A little wind but not too bad, maybe 10mph on a one loop course.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [ComidaDeluxe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AP 121
18.8mph
112 mi (IMFL)
138 lbs
Felt s32, disc cover rear, box rim front, Vittoria Corso Evo 20, Butyl tubes, Wingspan aero helmet(front uncovered,tail on), bottle between aerobars, round bottle on frame.

Not really sure if this is good or bad though. If someone could tell me that would be great!

When your legs get tired, run with your heart
http://tritofinishchris.blogspot.com/
Last edited by: chris-alfonso: Nov 6, 12 18:14
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [chris-alfonso] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AP 199 NP 201. VI 1.0100. IF 73.4
22.4mph 4:59:xx
112 IMFL 2012
163lbs
QR CD0.1
-Flo disc/ Jet 6
-Vittoria Open Corsa CX with Vittoria latex tubes
-horizontal bottle between aero bars
-flat kit taped under seat
-desoto suit, Giro A2 with homebrew visor

Yes, Seat is too high. I'm on it.

@christopher_borden •
Spinning Spoke • Dimond Bikes • Flo Cycling • Castelli Cycling
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Borden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My first real TT, Tour de Gruene

1) Average watts - 282
2) Average speed in MPH - 23.9
3) Distance - 10.5 miles
4) Rider weight - 180ish
5) Describe bike and wheels - Shiv, 404 clinchers, wheelcover
6) Course had some technical sections and more hills than I expected. I thought my time was slow at the finish, but it ended up being pretty good.
7) Optional: a picture (or link to a picture) of you in your aero position. http://rxdesign.zenfolio.com/tdg12tt/e4a7316da

Yes, I know my position sucks. I'm not terribly flexible, particularly hips. I've made significant improvements since I got the bike late summer, but still have a long way to go.

I won my division by 3 seconds and ended up 20th overall. When I finished with a 23.9 mph average, I was disapppointed since I was averaging over 25mph on my practice runs (different course). Only 5 guys went over 25mph all day, so I think it was just a tough course.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Borden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Borden, what product were you using in your 1500cal bike bottle nutrition at IMF? Just curious
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [TNFeDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd like to know as well.
TNFeDad wrote:
Borden, what product were you using in your 1500cal bike bottle nutrition at IMF? Just curious
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Me_XMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TNFeDad, Me_XMan wrote:

Clicky clicky--->Borden's Bike Brew, the 5 hour bottle

That should more than answer your questions. If not, let me know!

@christopher_borden •
Spinning Spoke • Dimond Bikes • Flo Cycling • Castelli Cycling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMFL
143 AP (Powertap)
5:13 (3 stops for the potty)
21.3 mph on garmin
QR cd0.1, hed 9/disc, catlike helmet w visor, ventus bar
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LzBones wrote:
borncrazy wrote:

Good point - I've been wondering the same thing myself. Though taking the Garmin speed, not the race report speed, Mandurah was 38.4km/hr - though 70 watts less should equate to much more than 0.4km/hr.

Also, of interest is I should have actually been more aero at the 38.8/291 watts ride as I rode with 2 less spaces and no bottles at all. Some theories I have - what do you think?

1) At the Mandurah 70.3 I zeroed the power meter before the swim start and 'think' I pedalled backwards 4 times near the start of the ride. Could the zeroing be out meaning it was more power than recorded (many also explain why hr was higher than expected. Liklelihood: unkown.

2) Wind assistance. To me the 38.8/291 watts ride always seems like a massive head wind for the 4 laps even when people say it was still. At Mandurah, the head wind on the way out never felt too bad and coming back I was sometimes cruising at 45+ kph for < 200 watts (5 km @ 45kph @ 200 watts). Seems most likely to me.

3) 808s + GP4000S + light weight tubes + drink bottles + higher handler bars is way more aero than 800+900+ Pro Race 3 - drink bottles + lower handle bars + heavy tubes. Seems unlikely.

4) In the 291 watts ride I probably looked at the power meter quiet often, and also backwards to see who was behind me. After reading about how looking down with a long aero helmet like the speed demon was worse than no aero helmet because of the tail sticking straight up in the air, I have made a big effort to look straight ahead for the entire ride. Likelihood: Some value but not 70 watts.

Heres links to the 2 files.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/156674723
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/236369653

Thoughts?

awesome bike split, i thought their was a fair bit of wind on the way out! slowed me right down anyway :(....but yeh, smooth sailing on the way back into mandurah. How was your run leg time, you said you spewed?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Beach to Battleship 140.6
20.7mph average
150 avg. watts
160 NP
112 miles
157 lbs, 5'10"
Orbea Ordu, Zipp full disc rear, 808 front, aero helmet

Last edited by: sickness: Nov 9, 12 7:39
Quote Reply

Prev Next