Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Snoozer. Funny how a selective course makes it over early when Anna (take your pick) is racing, while for the men it’ll all go down in the last kilometers.

Nonetheless, an impressive double.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
Anyone know what happened to MTM for men's worlds TT? I swear I saw him on the rider list a week or so ago, but obviously he didn't start.

Maybe the man himself will chime in?

My impression is that the list is the shortlist, not the start list (it indicated three people from Denmark).
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slight bit of naughtiness from Longo Borghini, arms sticking out just a tad. I mean, she could have hugged the barriers...
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PSA:
Going forward, all my picks in any race will be van Someone.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
PSA:

What about the wily fox?

Also, there’s Chantal Blaak; though doubtful she’ll win another title
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
In other news, the women’s race is pretty much over. Of course, the Dutch stranglehold is impressive, but it’s slightly boring in another sense, as there’s no tension.

Also, AvV sure recovered quickly

Why are the women races so completely different from the men's? Is the pool of elite female cyclist really so small that some are several % better than others? Seems insane the rest of the countries can't wheel her in? Feels this happens often, also in zwift, compared to the men sitting neck and neck.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lassekk wrote:
echappist wrote:
In other news, the women’s race is pretty much over. Of course, the Dutch stranglehold is impressive, but it’s slightly boring in another sense, as there’s no tension.

Why are the women races so completely different from the men's? Is the pool of elite female cyclist really so small that some are several % better than others? Seems insane the rest of the countries can't wheel her in? Feels this happens often, also in zwift, compared to the men sitting neck and neck.

Mainly difference in talent level. And yes, the pool is quite small, so small that there are numerous riders who turned pro after turning to the sport in their mid or late 20s. That's almost unheard of in men's cycling. Basically, if one has decent aerobic potential, one could do well. I'm sure the really low pay doesn't attract talent, but then again, there may just be lower interest level in racing in the first place.

Also, the Dutch got really lucky with this current golden generation. At least Anna vdB is hanging up her shoes, so one fewer card for the Dutch to play.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lassekk wrote:
echappist wrote:

Um, UCI is still sexist by thinking that women should ride significantly lower distances than men, that makes for very different race tactics.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
PSA:

I can get on board that van!

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
lassekk wrote:
echappist wrote:

Um, UCI is still sexist by thinking that women should ride significantly lower distances than men, that makes for very different race tactics.

Not sure if you're being ironic or not, but the majority of that field was done for after 3 laps. I can pick ten ladies and probably 8 of them will finish top 10. I might get two right for the men.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [carlosflanders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
carlosflanders wrote:
hadukla wrote:
lassekk wrote:
echappist wrote:

Not sure if you're being ironic or not, but the majority of that field was done for after 3 laps. I can pick ten ladies and probably 8 of them will finish top 10. I might get two right for the men.

Well someone else answered better than I did, I guess I misinterpreted exactly what they were referring to with regards to the level of talent rather than race tactics. My answer was to the specific part of the question "Why are the women races so completely different from the men's?" which, which regards to race tactics, has to do with the length of the races. Women's races are much more intense than men's due to the shorter distances and yes, that is because UCI was and is sexist with their reasoning. Not that I would want women's races to be longer, I think men's races should be made shorter, put them all at equal distances and we get much more exciting racing from the men.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [carlosflanders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
carlosflanders wrote:

Not sure if you're being ironic or not, but the majority of that field was done for after 3 laps.

That's probably a function of the competition though, not course distance. That race could have been one lap and the Dutch were going to make an enormous selection on that 2nd climb. It'll be same with the men. The field is going to get ripped to shreds in the last 2 laps, whether 5 laps or 9 laps. The likes of Alaphillipe and Fuglsang are not going to bring a sprinter to the line (except maybe WvA).

Women are perfectly capable of a long day in the saddle.

Quote:
I can pick ten ladies and probably 8 of them will finish top 10. I might get two right for the men.

That part is true. The men's field is deeper.

Edit: The course is fabulous. I think it'll really make for a great race for the men.

Last edited by: trail: Sep 26, 20 15:27
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Rain in the forecast for the last couple of hours of the race. Should be great racing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
carlosflanders wrote:
hadukla wrote:
lassekk wrote:
echappist wrote:

Well someone else answered better than I did, I guess I misinterpreted exactly what they were referring to with regards to the level of talent rather than race tactics. My answer was to the specific part of the question "Why are the women races so completely different from the men's?" which, which regards to race tactics, has to do with the length of the races. Women's races are much more intense than men's due to the shorter distances and yes, that is because UCI was and is sexist with their reasoning. Not that I would want women's races to be longer, I think men's races should be made shorter, put them all at equal distances and we get much more exciting racing from the men.

Totally mystified by this. Having separate Womens and Mens races is inherently sexist. Women don't have quite the same power and endurance as men, so the road races are shorter. The depth of field is much smaller (in the US, women have been consistently ~15% of registered racers and the proportion hasn't changed much). A 5 lap 4 hour race is entirely appropriate. Maybe 3 riders in today's race would be capable of racing 8 laps at any reasonable speed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots to unpack here

carlosflanders wrote:
Having separate Womens and Mens races is inherently sexist. Women don't have quite the same power and endurance as men, so the road races are shorter.

Do I really have to tell you that the amount of power one is able to put out has no correlation to one's endurance? Or how at a certain point in ultra endurance, women get on more equal ground to men because of their inherent ability to survive more pain than men? Are you really trying to go with the incredibly stupid argument that men and women should ride in the same race?

carlosflanders wrote:
The depth of field is much smaller (in the US, women have been consistently ~15% of registered racers and the proportion hasn't changed much).

The depth of the US field has NOTHING to do with the global talent field but thanks for adding in some US centrism here, it wouldn't be slowtwitch without it. Aside from that, someone earlier pointed out that the depth of talent is not quite the same level as the men's field, which is certainly more a societal/systemic issue than anything else but there are going to be men who just can't hang tomorrow, just as there are men who can't hang in the tour, even more so men who can't hang in the Olympic road race, so depth of talent has nothing to do with length of races.

carlosflanders wrote:
A 5 lap 4 hour race is entirely appropriate. Maybe 3 riders in today's race would be capable of racing 8 laps at any reasonable speed.

They all could ride that length if they wanted to. Maybe the placings would have been similar, maybe not, that's a different kind of race, we don't know. But the bigger question is: Are you saying that because they are women they are not capable of a longer race? Seriously? You must be a great human being

carlosflanders wrote:
Totally mystified by this.

Well, that's obvious.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I mentioned the figures for the US (in parentheses) because it's the figures that I have checked and are available. USA is a bit more ahead of things in terms of womens access to sports than most countries. If you can give figures for other countries then go ahead.

As far as your other statements, I have no idea what events you are trying to describe, but it's not road racing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stupid work. Will be sneaking.

No idea. Hard to bet against Wout. Outside of the usual suspects...maybe one of the Sunweb guys (not Matthews), Benoot? Like Hirschi to at least make the final selection. Innsbruck similar parcours.
Last edited by: WannaB: Sep 26, 20 23:47
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [WannaB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm all in for Rusty van Woods. And Sepp van Kuss. .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
haha I can get behind those picks.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [WannaB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And here we go. The Belgian team looks pretty awesome right now.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:

Huh, now Pogacar is also a great puncheur.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He has an explosive kick, looks like he’s using all his bullets to set up Roglic.

Cool course that doesn’t seem to favor a particular rider. Some awesome visuals too.
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: Sep 27, 20 6:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kwiato is lurking. The course sets up similarly to how he won.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
I'm all in for Rusty van Woods. And Sepp van Kuss. .

Those would be great to see, but my guess is going to be Fuglsang. He seems able to quietly ride along in the group and then be given just enough leeway to build a gap that you can’t close on this type of course. That is probably one of the great advantages of not being an outright favorite like WvA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
turdburgler wrote:

Huh, now Pogacar is also a great puncheur.

With the depth of the women's field I can see someone going from far out (van der Breggen). If this sticks for him in this field given the chase group I'd be shocked.
Quote Reply

Prev Next