Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Speaking of growth opportunities: “Tom Boonen was my idol growing up, and once this is done Roubaix will be the dream,” Ganna says.

I read he did 500+ for 13 minutes on a training climb this past spring. Imagine what he can do at Roubaix with that kind of motor.
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: Oct 8, 20 6:32
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Speaking of growth opportunities: “Tom Boonen was my idol growing up, and once this is done Roubaix will be the dream,” Ganna says.

I read he did 500+ for 13 minutes on a training climb this past spring. Imagine what he can do at Roubaix with that kind of motor.

He's a monster and watching him roll he was rock solid and smooth. Roubaix could be epic.

Sagan- damn. He was right there and then he wasn't. He is struggling. The flow is gone. I hope he gets his head back soon. He seems to have the legs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:

He's a monster and watching him roll he was rock solid and smooth. Roubaix could be epic.

Sagan- damn. He was right there and then he wasn't. He is struggling. The flow is gone. I hope he gets his head back soon. He seems to have the legs.

I'd assume he packs a decent sprint, due to at least all the anaerobic effort needed for a decent 4K pursuit?

Him, W vA, and M vdP slugging it out would make for some fine spectacle

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, gotta feel a bit for Sagan. Somehow lost his positioning and got swamped with 300 m to go. Demare came roaring out of nowhere with a full head of steam and took the win...
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
McNulty wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:

I'd assume he packs a decent sprint, due to at least all the anaerobic effort needed for a decent 4K pursuit?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, gotta feel a bit for Sagan. Somehow lost his positioning and got swamped with 300 m to go. Demare came roaring out of nowhere with a full head of steam and took the win...

What I find interesting Is the speed of the “changing of the guard”. A year or two ago nobody was talking about a couple of CX riders and a trackie dominating Roubaix, and nobody from Quick Step being a five-stat favorite.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:

Last edited by: turdburgler: Oct 8, 20 9:18
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Speaking of CX, I haven't heard Stybar's name much this year. He's still on Quickstep as far as I know.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
McNulty wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:

Wout has a couple of watts in his legs too.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yikes, even more epic. With his pursuit pedigree he could likely just ride people off his wheel late in a race, ala Fabian at his prime.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:

Something's gone wrong when Rafal Majka is the "final man" of your leadout train. Not that this was a standard bunch sprint, but still, things looked great for Peto, Fabbro was putting up a good pace, and then things sort of stalled when you got Nibbles on the front and Peto just ends up softpedalling and looking around like "I can't be up front just yet". Majka tried to take over but the pace wasn't high enough and with the twists and turns things just got all mixed up and before you know there's a bunch of Astana guys up front with Demare in tow. I'm sure Sagan is missing Oss.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [WannaB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WannaB wrote:

He's on my short list of riders I'd love to have a pint with.

EDIT: guess the pic doesn't show, here's the post: https://twitter.com/.../1063172258183684096
He has an awesome attitude about this. Kinda work hard, play hard.
On a tri related note, Joe Skipper seems like the guy that comes closest, also enjoys the odd Chimay after a 12h TT. As a Belgian I am then obliged to become a fan.
Last edited by: tomdefietsbom: Oct 8, 20 14:04
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [tomdefietsbom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damn... There's absolutely no messing around in that fridge, what a selection of gems!
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
Speaking of CX, I haven't heard Stybar's name much this year. He's still on Quickstep as far as I know.

He was 6th at Strade Bianche, and he's likely to feature at Flanders, Roubaix, Wevelgem. I imagine he's almost certain to be one of the guys sent up the road as everyone tries to sit on Alaphillipe.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [tomdefietsbom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tomdefietsbom wrote:
WannaB wrote:

He's on my short list of riders I'd love to have a pint with.

EDIT: guess the pic doesn't show, here's the post: https://twitter.com/.../1063172258183684096
He has an awesome attitude about this. Kinda work hard, play hard.
On a tri related note, Joe Skipper seems like the guy that comes closest, also enjoys the odd Chimay after a 12h TT. As a Belgian I am then obliged to become a fan.

For anyone wondering, here's the photo. That's a proper selection, topped maybe only by the beer section at Albert Heijn's.

Btw, I'm very disappointed that I can't get all of Le Trappe's offerings here in the U.S (basically missing the blonde ale, if not the Tripel). While I'd like to bring some back next time we are in the Benelux, I think realistically we have to reserve space for Westvleteren...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a Belgian, I can approve of your choice of beers! Sint Bernardus Abt 12 is supposed to be close to West-Vleeteren

I'm not really the Duvel fan, but if you haven't tried their Duvel Triple Hop Citra yet, definitely do!
As the name probably indicates, it's a bit sweeter but it's also 9.5% instead of the 8.5% of regular Duvel.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [Tri_Joeri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Losing Roubaix is devastating. Today just lost a little bit of luster.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [Tri_Joeri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Surging in Belgium too. I’m not counting on any racing. Sadness accrues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri_Joeri wrote:
As a Belgian, I can approve of your choice of beers! Sint Bernardus Abt 12 is supposed to be close to West-Vleeteren

I'm not really the Duvel fan, but if you haven't tried their Duvel Triple Hop Citra yet, definitely do!
As the name probably indicates, it's a bit sweeter but it's also 9.5% instead of the 8.5% of regular Duvel.

I'm on the same page as Joeri, not a huge Duvel fan, but the Tripel Hop version is pretty good. I've also heard the same thing about St. Bernardus (they claim to use the Westvleteren recipe) but I've never actually tried Westvletern (my white whale of beers) so I can't confirm their similarities.

I had a Zundert last weekend that was tasty, but it's a Dutch Trappist beer.... And I had an Austrian Trappist beer a while ago... Didn't there used to only be 6 official Trappist breweries? Have the monks cashed in, or did they lose some legal battle?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ah damn - guess I need to focus on the why this is happening and not my loss of watching an epic battle on the cobbles
surging in Utah
stay safe and healthy my friends
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [ClayDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ClayDavis wrote:
Tri_Joeri wrote:

I'm on the same page as Joeri, not a huge Duvel fan, but the Tripel Hop version is pretty good. I've also heard the same thing about St. Bernardus (they claim to use the Westvleteren recipe) but I've never actually tried Westvletern (my white whale of beers) so I can't confirm their similarities.

I had a Zundert last weekend that was tasty, but it's a Dutch Trappist beer.... And I had an Austrian Trappist beer a while ago... Didn't there used to only be 6 official Trappist breweries? Have the monks cashed in, or did they lose some legal battle?

Me neither, I still need to try to get my hands on a West-Vleeteren..

Haha what a coincedence, I bought a few Zunderts aswell last weekend. They're quite good!
You're right, there used to be. There are 6 Belgian (Achel, Chimay, West-Vleeteren, Orval, Rochefort and Westmalle), 2 Dutch (Zundert and La Trappe), 1 Austrian (Engelszell), 1 Italian (Tre Fontane, surprising taste btw), 1 American (Spencer) and 1 British (Tynt Meadow Trappist)

Still have to try West-Vleeteren, Engelszell, Spencer and the Tynt Meadow one.

Not a trappist but Gouden Carolus Imperial Dark is also a nice beer if you like dark beers.

I'll have to buy some to drink away the pain of not seeing a Paris-Roubaix mudfest, the pictures of the last weeks on the cobbled sections were indicative of what was going to be an epic race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Astana had their own brand of beer on the team bus.

Great stuff. My FTP went up 10 points after 3 :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri_Joeri wrote:

Sorry for the confusion, but that’s De Gendt’s fridge ( which is what’s shown in the link posted by @Tomdefietsboom)

My own tastes are quite similar though. I like my Dubbels and Tripels, with a lot of my stuff from Duvel and La Chouffe.

Not drinking as much these days in order to lose a few kilos, but now that Roubaix is cancelled, it makes De Ronde all the more special, which is to say, excuses to get tipsy before noon!

Btw, i’m jealous how easily one could buy the good stuff in the Benelux. Rochefort was 2.69 €/ bottle, and Chimay Bleu wad 1.49 €/ bottle.

turdburgler wrote:
Losing Roubaix is devastating. Today just lost a little bit of luster.

Sorry to pile it on, but apologies re: the penalty shoot out.
Last edited by: echappist: Oct 9, 20 5:37
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [heyMartin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
State of emergency declared in Madrid. That can’t bode well for Vuelta.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Demare was drifting quite a bit, looked like Sagan could have taken that one otherwise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Demare was drifting quite a bit, looked like Sagan could have taken that one otherwise.

Yeah, that one was iffy to call. Veered across at least a lane's width
Quote Reply

Prev Next