Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [WannaB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WannaB wrote:

Thought Eddy M's comments were interesting. But, I don't know. It's not like Pogacar snuck up on them. They knew precisely how good he was. Pogacar still had little extra in the tank, and was mentally in a great place to just unload.

Eddy was a little over the top, I think. Roglic made precious few obvious mistakes. Letting Pogacar get back ~45 seconds on an attack was reminiscent of Roglic and Nibali letting Carapaz get up the road in the Giro last year. But it's easy to identify the critical attacks in retrospect, not as easy on the road. And that attack happened when everyone was still afraid of getting exposed by Bernal or Quintana. But maybe it was true that Roglic was too friendly, seemingly chatting with Pogacar before the finale of climbs, coordinating. I didn't know if that was sincere or Michael Jordan-like gamesmanship. Probably sincere, as Roglic doesn't seem to have much guile (which I like about people, generally).
Last edited by: trail: Sep 20, 20 8:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree, thought Eddy’s comments were easy to make from living room. It’s not like the let Pog stick around, they simply couldn’t shake him like they did every other GC contender when the opportunity arose. Someone summed it up well: Roglic didn’t lose, he got beaten by Pog who was better yesterday.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
WannaB wrote:

Thought Eddy M's comments were interesting. But, I don't know. It's not like Pogacar snuck up on them. They knew precisely how good he was. Pogacar still had little extra in the tank, and was mentally in a great place to just unload.

Eddy was a little over the top, I think. Roglic made precious few obvious mistakes. Letting Pogacar get back ~45 seconds on an attack was reminiscent of Roglic and Nibali letting Carapaz get up the road in the Giro last year. But it's easy to identify the critical attacks in retrospect, not as easy on the road. And that attack happened when everyone was still afraid of getting exposed by Bernal or Quintana. But maybe it was true that Roglic was too friendly, seemingly chatting with Pogacar before the finale of climbs, coordinating. I didn't know if that was sincere or Michael Jordan-like gamesmanship. Probably sincere, as Roglic doesn't seem to have much guile (which I like about people, generally).

Eddy may have had a couple of Chardonnays. That was too much.
Easy to criticize now but I kept thinking Pogacar was not done- but never EVER could have accounted for a TT like that. It was otherworldly. Those guys know each other so well, it's possible Pogacar's ride could have gotten in Roglic's head, maybe he choked up a bit. Who knows. Still had a damn good time.
Both Roglic and Sagan have given pretty classy interviews, with Sagan conceding green, saying its the last day and ceremonial. Still going for the stage though, of course.
Now Pogacar goes to Italy to help my man Joe D win a stage. (Wishful thinking again.)
Mas had a great tour.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, and for predcition today. I want to see Primoz lead out Wout.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WannaB wrote:
Oh, and for predcition today. I want to see Primoz lead out Wout.

I want to see TdG ride away from the entire peloton.

G van Av still racing. He's not a panache boy, he just grinds and races like a true hard man from the north.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am going for anyone but Ewan. I know it is his job to win races, but Lotto holds 4 out of the last 5 positions on GC and you still don't see those guys setting up a decent train or contributing much to the chase. Cees Bohl may not be doing much more than top 5 but Sunweb is always giving it a go.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ewan likes to be dropped off at about 300m and freelances it from there on fast bunch finishes. Generally sits a few places back and explodes forward in the draft. Hits the wind for maybe the last 50 m. (Of course he has other ways of winning as well, but that's the most common).

He didn't have it today. Got in position and found a good gap but legs didn't comply and lost a couple of places. He's been yo-yoing off the back of the peloton for the past few stages. Fighting to get back on or riding with a couple of teammates. No way is that saving his legs. Sagan recovered well and had a great sprint though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here’s a prediction: Roglic wins worlds for a modicum of redemption.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:

That would be cool.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:

This would be fantastic but do we know if he is going and it looks like Wout Van Aert would be in pretty good form (and they will be opponents) to haul himself over 4500m of vertical and still put down a solid sprint. Tadej and Primoz will be teammates. I would think Slovenia would want them both to go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:

Kinda like Evans after 2009 Vuelta

Or it could turn into Fignon’s nightmare 2.0 at Chambéry
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Parting thoughts:
Pog- the kid is pretty good
Roglic- rode a great race right until end. But Pog might have beaten him even if he’d done a good TT
Bennett- class win today. Nice prize for DQS, especially with Alaphilippe essentially a non-factor
Viviani- remember him?
Mas- solid race, quietly snuck into 5th like a Majorcan ninja. Could Contador’s anointed one give Pog a run at some point? (Can anyone?)
Sagan- let’s hope he finds his legs in Italy
Hirschi- Has arrived as Cervelo’s poster child They should also name a chocolate bar after him or something
Worlds ITT - TD was solid yesterday. Hope he races it and gives Dennis a kicking
The Vuelta- Bernal vs Froome vs Carapaz vs Roglic vs Pog? The Ardennes seem a little close for Tour guys, could be a Mano-y-Mano especial this November
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: Sep 20, 20 21:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been poking around here and the googles to find out if any of the usual suspects will be live streaming UCI Worlds later on this week, all I found was The BBC....anyone aware of any other options?

"one eye doubles my eyesight, so things don't look half bad" John Hiatt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Word is that Roglic and Pogacar will be racing worlds together-so how does that play out? Who is the 'early' favorite-guys coming off Tour or someone else?

La Flamme Rouge tweeted about 'a lot of snow forecast for The Alps this week-even at 1,000-1,500m elevation' They don't think it will impact Stelvio but say it will depend on weather on the day--so does the Giro get impacted by snow??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

otoh saunier duval never did get a wc medal .. /pink
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Hirschi- Has arrived as Cervelo’s poster child They should also name a chocolate bar after him or something

Don't forget Soren Kragh Andersen too. Those two might be fun to watch playing off each other in one-day races. They were together on both of Soren's wins, with people watching Hirschi while Soren went up the road.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:

Kinda like Evans after 2009 Vuelta

Or it could turn into Fignon’s nightmare 2.0 at Chambéry

I'd really like to know the prep for Worlds from the Tour. Very curious how their week looks, starting today.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well no one is "Making Party" last night after the TdF due to crowd gathering limits, so they won't be hung over this morning. This is one day earlier that UAE can be doing 20 minute repeats on Planche des Belles Filles faster than Fabio Aru's previous time :-)

I would be interested to see if Roglic goes (I assume he will) and how fried he is (or not) trying to hold form from start of Dauphine to Worlds (roughly 7 week window, which is basically an impossible window to hold form). I would also be interested in what the prep looked like for the Tirenno crew who have more like a 12 day time gap.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It'd be interesting to know that for sure. Fine line between getting a little rest to be sharp versus body going into full recovery. Believe there's typically a few extra days between end of Tour and Olympics.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [moneydog59] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Flo Sports.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank You Sir!

Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [moneydog59] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Might have spoken too soon--I checked schedule and it shows not available in my area (which I assume is the US and not just California).

<Sad Face>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, pretty disappointed with Flo's lack of key event coverage in the US.

Carl Spackler wrote:
Might have spoken too soon--I checked schedule and it shows not available in my area (which I assume is the US and not just California).

<Sad Face>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Olympic Channel is showing it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ya, just noticed that too...

Quote Reply

Prev Next