Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [LuisDF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sagan needs to make himself smaller. He's plowing a lot of wind
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well shit, it's going to be close. It'd be awesome if everything came together right at the velodrome.

Edit: n.m....Sagan clearly has more matches.
Last edited by: trail: Apr 8, 18 8:06
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
either way. Dillier is showing major class taking turns inside 5K with Sagan on his wheel. Either he's crazy strong or totally accepted 2nd.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [SailorSam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SailorSam wrote:
either way. Dillier is showing major class taking turns inside 5K with Sagan on his wheel. Either he's crazy strong or totally accepted 2nd.

He's talked to Sagan a few times. I think he's riding for 2nd.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He is spent. His chances are small.

....but he is a strong track rider....

10k - 30:48 / half - 1:06:40
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [ToBeasy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
give the man his gummy bears!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
SailorSam wrote:

He's talked to Sagan a few times. I think he's riding for 2nd.

classy ride all the way.....never hesitated to work with Sagan...smart also, he's minor places if they can't stay away and he had a slight shot at the end.......chapeau

T. Phinney, top ten Roubaix!!!!!!
Last edited by: McNulty: Apr 8, 18 8:35
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great race to watch, happy to see Sagan finally get his cobble. Played it perfectly with the gentle roll-off with 53k to go.
Its basically the exact same move terpstra did at Flanders, riding out of the group unchallenged to bridge over to the break.

I think when teams look at next year strategies there is going to be a lot of emphasis on getting into the break, solely for the purpose of what has happened over the last few races with the favourites bridging over and then working with them to go to the line.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Latest tallies are up

Benv wrote:
Sep, Kristoff, Stybar
Langeveld, Stuyven

1 point

daveTDF wrote:
roubaix:

Demare
Kristoff
Stybar

GVA
Langeveld

1 point

dsmallwood wrote:
i am getting my picks in early as I will attending a different sporting event. prediction: QS throws bombs, the favorites follow McNulty's advice and mark the entire squad, leaving it to a 12 man velodrome mosh pit.

DEMARE
SAGAN
GILBERT

NAESEN
VAN AERT

2 points

Ron_Burgundy wrote:
Roubaix picks

Sagan, GVA, Stuyven

Thomas and Moscon

6 points!

Tri_Joeri wrote:
My picks:

Sagan, GVA, Terpstra

Gilbert, Van Aert

I actually hope Sagan wins this one, but it will be difficult to beat the Quickstep boys I think with 3 of them (Terpstra, Gilbert and Stybar) wanting to go for it.. Would like to see Stybar or Terpstra go with 30-40k to go and have Van Aert join them

7 points!

MTBSully wrote:
I am going to throw my hat in for PR

Pedersen, Sep, GVA

Van Aert, O Naeson

It is QS's race to lose, which they will, trying to keep the other favorites out of a winning move.

1 point

Carl Spackler wrote:
Torn between Stybar and Phil...

Stybar, Sagan, Demare.
Gilbert, Vanmarke

2 points

echappist wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:
Torn between Stybar and Phil...

Stybar, Sagan, Demare.
Gilbert, Vanmarke

Stybar, Stuyven, Vanmarcke
Sagan and Gilbert

I should probably put Degenkolb in there...

edit Apr 7

Stybar, Vanmarcke, Terpstra
Sagan and GvA

4 points

heyMartin wrote:
Degenkolb, Gilbert, Van Aert

Theuns, Stuyven

1 point

M----n wrote:
Oss was a monster last year.

My picks : Keukeleire, Moscon, Terpstra

Thomas, Degenkolb

2 points
trail wrote:

He only has to finish to achieve that. :)

For me:

Gilbert
Stuyven
Vanmarcke

Oss
Groenewegen

1 point

trener1 wrote:
Going with
Phil Gil, Van Avrmont, Stybar.
Sagen, Styvan.

3 points

noodle_soup wrote:
My picks for Roubaix:

VanMarcke
Stuyven
Sagan

Terpstra
Van Aert

No disrespect to Terpstra. I think Terpstra is the overwhelming favourite (has the form and legs), but I think all the teams had enough and will race negatively against them.

4 points

ClayDavis wrote:
I don't know what to make of P-R. Funny how as this classics season goes on and we get a better sense of who's on form, the picking just gets harder. The way things are going it seems dumb to go against QS. But it also seems imprudent to go against Sagan and Van Avermaet, despite their relative lack of results thusfar... might be that they've planned their spring classics campaign around Roubaix.

In a way it's a little offputting to see QS dominate the way they have, but in another way its refreshing because for having such a stacked classics team, they've done a hell of a job over the last few years screwing things up royally. This year they seem to have it dialed, so I'm not going to beta against them.

Gilbert, GvA, Stybar
Sagan, Van Aert

2 points

McNulty wrote:

Sagan
Stybar
Sep!
Gilbert
van Aert

4 points

eb wrote:
Sagan, Terpstra, Vanmarcke

Stybar, Stuyven

7 points
Last edited by: echappist: Apr 8, 18 8:42
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [RONDAL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RONDAL wrote:
Great race to watch, happy to see Sagan finally get his cobble. Played it perfectly with the gentle roll-off with 53k to go.
Its basically the exact same move terpstra did at Flanders, riding out of the group unchallenged to bridge over to the break.

sometimes it's so surprising that the race winning move was initiated not by a monstrous attack, but rather by someone not paying attention for that one moment. Don't think QS would have enough to cover today regardless, but of all of his race winning moves, this may have been one with the least amount of effort. Close second would be how he won his first Gent Wevelgem, also b/c someone wouldn't pull through, thus affording him a gap, and off he went.

In amateur bike racing, once someone does this sort of stuff once, people will guard the person like a hawk; interesting that so many are either unable or unattentive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can only say I’m thinking about Goolaerts and I hope he pulls through.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:

sometimes it's so surprising that the race winning move was initiated not by a monstrous attack, but rather by someone not paying attention for that one moment. Don't think QS would have enough to cover today regardless, but of all of his race winning moves, this may have been one with the least amount of effort. Close second would be how he won his first Gent Wevelgem, also b/c someone wouldn't pull through, thus affording him a gap, and off he went.

In amateur bike racing, once someone does this sort of stuff once, people will guard the person like a hawk; interesting that so many are either unable or unattentive.

I made the comment above that he's the master of the casual attack. He waits until it's a hard moment - everyone had just finished closing down GVA - then just sort of lets his momentum take him off the front a little bit, lulling people into complacency. Then once he was 6-7 bike lengths clear, he hit the gas. Not the usual melodramatic swinging-across-the-road-out-of-the-saddle and broadcasting to everyone that this is your end-game move.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rest in peace, Michael Goolaerts...
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Benv wrote:

Oh fuck, I'd heard he was taken to a hospital, didn't know it was that bad. That's awful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shit. Heard it via the race commentary that they were using the AED and heli-evac-ing him. Damn...

Anyways, I was surprised that they did not shut down Sagan's move. And Gilbert really did not look like he had legs (compared to the past few races). Is he lined up for the Ardennes?

Good race by Sagan and hats of to Dillier.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Benv wrote:

oh man, I was hoping that cyclingnews would have a positive update. rest in peace...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
23 years old.....just a baby....so sad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looked at PR again. Shutting down Stybar's move was the key and Oss made a move to go after him which made the rest chase as they couldn't let Oss get away either. If Oss wasn't a danger dude, maybe they just let him bridge up. Previous to that, Burkhardt applied a lot of pressure and then threw some nice blocks. I hope Sagan bought these guys copious amounts of beer. Bora worked a great plan and getting Oss and Burkhhardt looked to be PR specific.

Who we like for Amstel Gold? Does Phil Gil recover and keep that great form? He's only won this 4x. Does this parcourse suit the QS wolfpack approach?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
good morning
are we picking for Brabantse Pijl?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
QS is deep with Gilbert, Jungels and Alaphilippe but so many contenders to pick from — Valverde, Kwiatkowski, Wellens, Benoot, Colbrelli, GvA, Martin. Guess is the Wolfpack won’t be able to control the explosive nature of Ardennes courses and the guys. And have to wonder if the guys who raced Northen Classics can recover quickly enough to be fresh.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no doubt the ageless wonder Valverde will be well recovered. Kwiato could do favorably as well.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dsmallwood wrote:
good morning
are we picking for Brabantse Pijl?

we are. although i'm not sure for next year. once they had 10 world tour teams; now more like 7...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
QS is deep with Gilbert, Jungels and Alaphilippe but so many contenders to pick from — Valverde, Kwiatkowski, Wellens, Benoot, Colbrelli, GvA, Martin. Guess is the Wolfpack won’t be able to control the explosive nature of Ardennes courses and the guys. And have to wonder if the guys who raced Northen Classics can recover quickly enough to be fresh.

Yeah, I think the bedlam ensues and it's a mixed bag at the front.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does Sagan factor in for Amstel? I saw somewhere he is confirmed for the race but I am not exactly sure why. Is he just riding out his current peak fitness or doing it for sponsorship? Doesn't seem like his ideal course, however I suppose you can never really count him out if he is on form and feeling good.

"It's good enough for who it's for" - Grandpa Wayne
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bradantse Pijl:
Benoot, Jungels, Colbrelli
Teuns, Wellens
Quote Reply

Prev Next