Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [Ron_Burgundy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ron_Burgundy wrote:
One random observation, i am enjoying watching GVA over the last two seasons. He used to rub me the wrong way but since the olympics he has become a dynamic cyclist who has not been afraid to take chances. DDV was a great example, he knew the chase was going nowhere but he continued to pull and kept attacking, i like the style.

He's been doing that for years, to wit: 2014 RvV, took a flyer with 30 km out, with Stijn VDB in tow. SVDB pulled only on the downhill, and half-hearted at that, but GvA just kept on going. Of course, FC took the win there, but this has been his style for a long time.

If anything, he sat in more than his fair share in quite a few races he won, including the two Omloop victories and the Olympic finale, where Fuglsang pulled quite a bit more but was content with 2nd place.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sagan
Theuns
Gilbert

Naesen
Stuyven
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Didn’t know, going to change that one up. Thanks for tip!

Good news - sounds like he's going to start. The race wouldn't be right without the black/yellow /red jersey!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Picks for De Ronde

Terpstra
VanMarcke
Benoot

Gilbert
Stuyven
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [noodle_soup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sagan, GVA, Kiwato

Naesen and Moscon

Quick step have gone deep the last two weeks, I dont think they will be as big of a factor as some think. Sep has raced very hard recently and I think he will pay a price. GVA does well in the longer races and I think he will be with all the key moves. Sagan is more rested than most and always a big danger. Kiwato might be the most dangerous, fresh and often willing to roll the dice. I suspect QS will try for some early ripping but I dont see them getting much room to play with. My guess is a small group to the line.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
De Ronde is a real tough one to call. QS has been so dominant and Phil Gil has been on great form and I think has this one teed up. GvA and Peto I think are just rounding into form for this one, however. I can't see anyone sleeping on moves by any of those guys... and if Sagan is in a small group at the finish, then....

Sagan, GvA, Gilbert
Benoot, Van Aert
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [noodle_soup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a tough one.

Sagan
Gilbert
Vanmarcke

Van Aert
Stybar
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sagan Benoot Gilbert
GvA and Vanmarcke
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tweaking slightly

GVA, Gilbert, Benoot
Sagan, Terpstra

and this race is an embarrassment of riches. Sagan ain't no wild-card/outsider, I'm just picking him for fourth.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As tempting as it is to go dark horse on this one......I have not the balls. If I did, Lampaert, Theuns......not so dark horse but outside picks are Naesen bc he's been a bit hurt, Sep bc he's impetuous, Kwiat bc he's a WC.

But this is the biggie and the bigs target it, there is no messing about. Sagan, PG, Terpstra (who no one seems to fan boy much but is premier) GvA, etc.

Even Benoot and Naesen, while highly regarded, are mostly PO-tential when it comes to the biggies at this juncture.

If Sagan doesn't mechanical and/or crash out, I don't see how he's not right there for the win. He now has some beef to help counter QS just beating the crap out of everyone and riding away. Burkhardt seemed to hang pretty tough on the kops.

Phil Gil will go again and set up Stybar, Terpstra. Or, Terpstra goes but he seems to say, eff you, I'm riding for the win and go later. Lampaert is quite young and strong. QS is so loaded and militaristic that maybe he's just support, period, for Terpstra, et al. But he looked Boonenesque on Wednesday. But that was Wednesday.

Shit, QS could go 1,2,3.

GvA of course.

And then there's my boy Kristoff. Already won it once, he's a hard man from the north who can lay down the volts in a sprint, and made a damn nice effort with the Astana boys to catch the winning front group the other day. I cannot rule him out. In his white kit and with his receeding hairline looks fat and old but he's neither. I think he's ready, if a bit of an outlier.

van Baarle was 4th last year, with the group that chased Gilbert. He's now with Sky and Kwiat and Moscon. Fun facts, right? I don't know what to do with that.

I need more picks than 5 picks......
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sagan, Gilbert, GvA
Terpstra, Benoot
Last edited by: McNulty: Mar 31, 18 10:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I could extend it out to ten, but then everyone would have been picked...

No way Gilbert does the early move while leaving Terpstra behind (in a sane world). Terpstra couldnt outsprint GvA last year, all the while not taking a pull. Gilbert at least has a decent sprint on him.

Good call about Van Baarle. As for Kwiatek, not sure what to make of him. He was strong in 2016, only to have ran out of battery while Sagan marched onwards.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
with his receeding hairline looks fat and old but he's neither

Some riders look fat when they're really not. But Kristoff really, really looks fat in person. Ran into him riding around before the Tour of California last year, and, dayyum.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sep, Benoot, Lampaert
Haussler, Langeveld

But boy, do I hope Sep finally gets his big win. The big win, then dedicate it to our grandfather (his biggest fan and after whom he named his newborn son), who passed away a few months ago. That would be a very special moment. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
McNulty wrote:
with his receeding hairline looks fat and old but he's neither

Some riders look fat when they're really not. But Kristoff really, really looks fat in person. Ran into him riding around before the Tour of California last year, and, dayyum.

Damn. Must be crazy strong. Gives me hope......

Sep! Would love to see it. Hope Benv's picks pan out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
I could extend it out to ten, but then everyone would have been picked...

No way Gilbert does the early move while leaving Terpstra behind (in a sane world). Terpstra couldnt outsprint GvA last year, all the while not taking a pull. Gilbert at least has a decent sprint on him.

Good call about Van Baarle. As for Kwiatek, not sure what to make of him. He was strong in 2016, only to have ran out of battery while Sagan marched onwards.

If Phil Gil sits on he's arguably more dangerous. But it's not his jam. And he doesn't beat Sagan to the line so he'd still jump early and hope. One way or the other, I can't see him not being a factor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wonder if everyone will race against QS and an outsider will slip through....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sagan
Gilbert
Vanmarcke
Van Avermaet
Terpstra
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
noodle_soup wrote:
I wonder if everyone will race against QS and an outsider will slip through....

Not impossible, but unlikely; even less of a chance than Roubaix, where it happens every ten years or so
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
good morning everyone. it looks like a nice (typical) easter morning in Flanders. there's a break, but lacking big hitters or worrisome teams. and all the favs are in the front third.

its gonna be a gunfight. LOL

btw, I did the Fubo thing. it seemed the most dependable here in the states. coverage is good; long with good commentators, but there is more pixelization that I would have expected.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Went out for a morning spin at about 200k left. Sep had already been on the ground and changed bikes. Wish he could get a smooth ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
Went out for a morning spin at about 200k left. Sep had already been on the ground and changed bikes. Wish he could get a smooth ride.
Crashed two times already. Nothing too serious however.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
catching this break is gonna cause an explosion
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Km 54 = oude kwaremont, someone's gonna go. I'm guessing Philipe Gilbert.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Benv wrote:
Km 54 = oude kwaremont, someone's gonna go. I'm guessing Philipe Gilbert.

I was just about to type that Oude Kwaremont coming up, followed in quick succession by Patersberg and Koppenberg

Now is the calm before the storm. Getvyour beer and popcorn ready!!!
Quote Reply

Prev Next