Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: anyone [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sagan winning Gent was in part because QS rode for the sprint. Had they attacked it might have been like the others.

Hopefully PR is muddy, windy and nasty. QS is built for those days but they become more difficult to control.
Quote Reply
Re: anyone [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Sagan winning Gent was in part because QS rode for the sprint. Had they attacked it might have been like the others.

Hopefully PR is muddy, windy and nasty. QS is built for those days but they become more difficult to control.

I’m going to make sure Van Aert is one of my picks. Especially if it’s nasty. He’s really impressive. Very aware of the situation, doesn’t ride like a rookie. Not sure he’d win in the velodrome but he can get there. And it was great seeing van Baarle up there too. And if Sep can stay on his bike, or even if he can’t, he should do well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hopefully PR is muddy, windy and nasty.

Bring it on!

There has not been a wet edition of Paris-Roubaix in a VERY long time. A unusually long time. In fact, there is a whole generation of Pro cyclists who all they know of PR is it being dry, dusty and "warm". They have NEVER raced a wet version of the race.

Back in the 1980's and the early 90's it seemed that every two or three years was wet and muddy at PR, but seriously it's been forever since we've had those conditions, which other than the cobbled section themselve made the race what it really is. Was the last time it was really wet was that time that Hincapie came close to winning - early 2000's?

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Apr 3, 18 9:12
Quote Reply
Re: anyone [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doesn't look like it will be another wet edition. Rain the day before, but nothing predicted on race day for now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

2001 - Hincapie finished 4th. I think that's Museeuw following Hincapie. Anybody know for sure who the 3rd guy is? I think it is Knaven (who won), but can't tell for sure. The Domo/Frites team that year was the equivalent of Quickstep now; another of a long line of Lefevre-directed juggernauts.

Quote Reply
Re: anyone [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree it looks like Knaven.
Quote Reply
***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i am getting my picks in early as I will attending a different sporting event. prediction: QS throws bombs, the favorites follow McNulty's advice and mark the entire squad, leaving it to a 12 man velodrome mosh pit.

DEMARE
SAGAN
GILBERT

NAESEN
VAN AERT
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about Nibali and Kwiatkowski starting Pais Vasco yesterday, arguably the hardest stage race? Serious hard men.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
How about Nibali and Kwiatkowski starting Pais Vasco yesterday, arguably the hardest stage race? Serious hard men.

I'm always blown away at how these guys can recover and race again a couple of days later.
Quote Reply
Re: anyone [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes - I'm thinking that was the last time it was seriously wet and muddy at PR (2001). That's a VERY long stretch 17 years!

As I said earlier, in the '80's and '90's it seemed like every 2nd or 3rd year was wet.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I apologize if this is off topic but this season Sagan has seemed to talk about the show in bike racing a lot. With him always waiting until the sprint, while a more sound tactic, for me takes away a lot of the suspense of the show. I always enjoy the suspense of not knowing what Sagan was going to do and that made him more exciting to watch, and frankly I have been disappointed with his predictability this season.

I do understand that he is becoming smarter and forcing a race that should be theoretically at least better to his skill set but it takes away a lot of the excitement of watching the race. I will definitely still watch PR but I hope Sagan tries something rather than just sitting on.

Just my two cents.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anybody looking at the Scheldeprijs tomorrow? Looks like it will be another windy crash-fest.

For the podium, it's hard to see past Kittel, Demare and Groenewegen - they are the only real first tier sprinters on the start list.

There are a few youngsters like Ackermann, Bauhaus, Wisniowski, and Hodeg who may surprise.

Top ten? Maybe some of the Conti veterans like Dupont, DeHaes, van Keirsbulck, and Boeckmans.

And don't forget Boasson Hagen somewhere in the top ten.

I'm picking podium as above, Ackermann and Wisniowski as wildcards.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
Anybody looking at the Scheldeprijs tomorrow? Looks like it will be another windy crash-fest.

For the podium, it's hard to see past Kittel, Demare and Groenewegen - they are the only real first tier sprinters on the start list.

There are a few youngsters like Ackermann, Bauhaus, Wisniowski, and Hodeg who may surprise.

Top ten? Maybe some of the Conti veterans like Dupont, DeHaes, van Keirsbulck, and Boeckmans.

And don't forget Boasson Hagen somewhere in the top ten.

I'm picking podium as above, Ackermann and Wisniowski as wildcards.

probably Kittel, Goenewagen, Demare

I'm going with Travis McCabe, Bauhaus
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
eb wrote:

Demare and Goenewagen are out... can't cross the train tracks when the lights are on

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [MTBSully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MTBSully wrote:
McNulty wrote:
eb wrote:

Demare and Goenewagen are out... can't cross the train tracks when the lights are on

we were talking about non-thinking racers upthread; some of these guys really are dumb as rocks...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a huge fan of Demare

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MTBSully wrote:
Not a huge fan of Demare

Did a team car tow him across the tracks?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
MTBSully wrote:
Not a huge fan of Demare

Did a team car tow him across the tracks?

I don't think so, but I wouldn't be surprised if he cut across someone's line to make it over the tracks...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aaaand, another win by QS... this time by a 21-year old. Impressive too, being he was boxed in.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Aaaand, another win by QS... this time by a 21-year old. Impressive too, being he was boxed in.

Although QS brought Jakobsen and Hodeg, and they're both fast with good wins already this season, I had assumed that QS simply could not keep rolling snake eyes.

The way their season is going, maybe we should bet on Alaphilippe for the Tour!
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:

Although QS brought Jakobsen and Hodeg, and they're both fast with good wins already this season, I had assumed that QS simply could not keep rolling snake eyes.

The way their season is going, maybe we should bet on Alaphilippe for the Tour!

seems the Tour of Basque country may well be within reach. All this, from outgunning the likes of Landa and Quintana.

Fair to say that Valverde has competition for the Ardennes Classics
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He looks a little bit like the second coming of Valverde, just needs to gain tactical experience and avoid the baggage.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Roubaix picks

Sagan, GVA, Stuyven

Thomas and Moscon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:

You should win some special award for this. Groenewegen and Demare DSQ, McCabe hit a parked car and DNFed. Bauhaus DNF.

Kittel had a mechanical just before the finale and led your team in for 53rd.

You're due for this weekend. :)
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [Ron_Burgundy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My picks:

Sagan, GVA, Terpstra

Gilbert, Van Aert

I actually hope Sagan wins this one, but it will be difficult to beat the Quickstep boys I think with 3 of them (Terpstra, Gilbert and Stybar) wanting to go for it.. Would like to see Stybar or Terpstra go with 30-40k to go and have Van Aert join them
Quote Reply

Prev Next