Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
dsmallwood wrote:
Gilbert is wicked strong; he’ll be one to watch the next two outings

fan-boy speaking, PG does look strong and his tactics seem on. that doesn't mean he's gonna win but it does mean he's gonna blow *$#! up.

I know he wanted MSR as part of his resume. It will be interesting to see if "adding" PR competes with his defense of the Ronde.

for the rest, I think GVA has to be all-in on the Ronde. ditto Sep. Peto sticks with his "win them all" approach.

the true wild cards will be Kwi, Stybar, and Terps. I would look for them to instigate.

What I love about PG is his smart aggression. He's always thinking, always racing and can ride for others. I said it before, he made that race, drilling the front group to make it stick. Without his will, they may well have been caught. It wasn't a done deal for a while. There were some guys pretty shattered and on the fence about going all in on it.
He's like the Contador of the classics, always racing, sometimes just on instinct.

What I love about Sagan now is his patience. A couple of years ago he might have tried to bust up that group. He knew he had the winning hand yesterday whereas he wasn't so sure 2 years ago. They were done if he went to the line "fresh"....relative term, of course.

And how about the crazy Dutch bastards on Roompot? Love seeing those guys in that group.

Sagan to win Roubaix- may be his toughest win. He won't have the climbing to select out the bigger boys and a few tough sprinters. And luck is huge.

Hills rule people out based on w/kg, and the reason one can attack from the front when climbing is that the benefit of drafting is reduced. The selection on cobbles riding isn't as stark, but drafting nonetheless becomes much less of an issue. Selection on those cobbled sectors are made at low 20's mph, often less. A cat-4 could follow wheels at those speeds, as the aero cost is usually ~150-200 watts. The reason why people need to dial it to 450W to get to the low 20's on the cobbles is because most of the power goes to overcoming rolling resistance, and that additional 250-300W is something everyone has to expend, regardless if one is breaking the wind or following.

Whereas on flat asphalt, the drafter does 300W while the puller does 450W, on the cobbles, the drafter need to do closer to 375W in order to follow someone pulling at 450W. Add in the long distance and the muscular fatigue from riding on the cobbles, and the fact that Crr is mass dependent, selections can still be made by attacking, even from the front.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I noticed he has been taking notes from Cancellara and is on mechanical! E3 was interesting but Quickstep showed that they are willing to go very early and that will be covered this weekend. I do wonder about Sagan at E3, was it a bad day? Shut it down early after he knew it was over? Other than the Sagan question mark, GVA looks good, Sep seems on great form, and all of Quickstep seems to be on point.

Flanders is the one race you want to start watching at 100k, you just never know what will happen.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [Ron_Burgundy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sagan raced E3 coming out of another huge block at altitude. It wouldn't surprise me if he wasn't fatigued to some extent.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
Sagan raced E3 coming out of another huge block at altitude. It wouldn't surprise me if he wasn't fatigued to some extent.

This will be very interesting, i am excited for the next two weeks. Sagan's trainer has said multiple times they wanted to delay his peak for flanders/roubaix, it is either perfectly timed or just off the mark....time will tell.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [Ron_Burgundy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't wait to see how it unfolds! Its been a great start to the season.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ron_Burgundy wrote:

Flanders is the one race you want to start watching at 100k, you just never know what will happen.

on that note, and since the Ronde is my favorite and I like to watch as much as possible, does anyone have a solid hook-up for east-coast US viewing?
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been using tiz cycling (i know not the most honest method), they have a primary feed and then a backup feed that tend to be very stable. They often start broadcast on or before 100-90k to go.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use Fubo when I'm in the states. I believe you can sign up for a free 7 days and then cancel without payment.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same here on Fubo. The DVR function is great on it too. That sub for racing months + NBC Gold package (which is cheap) gets pretty much all the big ones.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ron_Burgundy wrote:
I noticed he has been taking notes from Cancellara and is on mechanical! E3 was interesting but Quickstep showed that they are willing to go very early and that will be covered this weekend. I do wonder about Sagan at E3, was it a bad day? Shut it down early after he knew it was over? Other than the Sagan question mark, GVA looks good, Sep seems on great form, and all of Quickstep seems to be on point.

the northern classics are the only races where you'd want to tune in with 90k out. There's nothing else is like it.

Both Roubaix and De Ronde are like that; E3 and Omloop to a less extent (last 60k)
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I get a vpn then monthly subscription to Eurosport. Both month to month but I end up rolling through the summer. For about the cost of a mediocre dinner, I get all the racing and snooker I can handle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You had me at “Hills rule people out based on w/kg,”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dwars pick: Valverde ftw, Quintana & Bardet on podium http://www.cyclingnews.com/...anderen-news-shorts/
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: Mar 26, 18 16:52
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All you non-dutch speakers are truly missing out on these interviews with Jan-Willem van Schip... that guy is hilarious! No matter how hideous his handlebars looked I've become a fan.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
You had me at “Hills rule people out based on w/kg,”

Oh Jimmay, behave yourself

Benv wrote:
All you non-dutch speakers are truly missing out on these interviews with Jan-Willem van Schip... that guy is hilarious! No matter how hideous his handlebars looked I've become a fan.

I hope it’s funnier than Niki going on about banana, banana, banana
Last edited by: echappist: Mar 26, 18 17:52
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dwars door Vlaanderen:

Benoot, Naessen, Sep
Van Keirsbulck, Debusschere

All Belgians!
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Dwars pick: Valverde ftw, Quintana & Bardet on podium http://www.cyclingnews.com/...anderen-news-shorts/

Geez. Can’t these guys just chill for a while? Do they have a hemocrit surplus after Catalunya they have to burn off?

I kind of like Bardet. A very French quote to follow:

"For him, there are three goals," says AG2R directeur Julien Jurdie. "First of all, Romain is in love with cycling culture. So for him, it will be important to immerse himself in the feelings and emotions of Flanders. Secondly, it will give him a serious life-sized test before he faces the cobbles in the next Tour de France.
"And finally, he is happy to come and work for his friend Oliver Naesen, who has been such valuable support to him throughout the season."

Feelings and emotions of Flanders? Nice. I want to do the same thing with a beer in my hand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bardet, Dumoulin, Naesen... I’m a fan of these kids, they’re like throwbacks.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No matter how hideous his handlebars looked I've become a fan.

I kept noticing those - "touring bars". What's the deal with them?

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:

Feelings and emotions of Flanders? Nice. I want to do the same thing with a beer in my hand.

Yeah, I can imagine if an American coach starting talking about "immersing yourself in feelings and emotions" people would start looking for signs of a stroke or edging their chairs awkwardly away. The U.S. or British coaches are like, "Take in 554 calories per hour. I want you under 4.5W/kg until the Taaienberg, then I want you at 7.34 W/kg to take advantage of the reduced drafting effect and mass-dependent rolling resistance (cue @echappist)."

Taylor Phinney might be down with it, though. Which, speaking of Taylor, I hope to see him up there with Oss at some point, having some sort of impact.
Last edited by: trail: Mar 27, 18 7:37
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is TP confirmed for Flanders?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
Is TP confirmed for Flanders?

He's on Cycling Weekly's published start list. Of course I misspoke about Oss, forgetting TP's with EF<long name> now. So I meant he should be up there doing for Sep what Oss does for GVA.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

oss for sagan you mean.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [buzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
buzz wrote:

oss for sagan you mean.

GODDAMIT!
Quote Reply