Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Smart, sneaky move to close it out.

Both Sep and Benoot need to learn patiences.

Cudos to Valverde. He might be rocket fueled but can’t take away the skill and smarts to get where he did.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
damn....swapped out Debusschere for Lampaert last second...dumb dumb.....

I wish Sep would just chill the eff out. Love the kid but he's so impatient.

So true.. compare Lampaert’s final 4-5k to Vanmarcke... Sep used up all his bullets aimlessly, as if he didn’t know the gap to G2. I think he had the best legs, too.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dsmallwood wrote:
this is not a track I know a lot about so I'm going with some 'favorites'

Benoot
Stuyven
Naesen

Valverde
Roelandts

cyclingnews wrote:
1 Yves Lampaert (Bel) Quick-Step Floors
2 Mike Teunissen (Ned) Team Sunweb
3 Sep Vanmarcke (Bel) EF Education First-Drapac p/b Cannondale
4 Edvald Boasson Hagen (Nor) Dimension Data
5 Mads Pedersen (Den) Trek-Segafredo
6 Zdenek Stybar (Cze) Quick-Step Floors
7 Tiesj Benoot (Bel) Lotto Soudal
8 Greg Van Avermaet (Bel) BMC Racing Team
9 Niki Terpstra (Ned) Quick-Step Floors
10 Jasper Stuyven (Bel) Trek-Segafredo

7th and 10th .... and I purposefully avoided QS riders because I thought they'd be lurking for the Ronde
1, 6, and 9
jeepers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Updated tally is up

Benv wrote:
Dwars door Vlaanderen:

Benoot, Naessen, Sep
Van Keirsbulck, Debusschere

All Belgians!

2 points

Carl Spackler wrote:
Ok, real Dwars picks:
Stybar, GvA, Naesen
Benoot, Valverde

0 points

noodle_soup wrote:
Pick for Dwars

Sep, Benoot, Nasen

Viviani, Lutsenko

2 points

dsmallwood wrote:
this is not a track I know a lot about so I'm going with some 'favorites'

Benoot
Stuyven
Naesen

Valverde
Roelandts

0 points

McNulty wrote:

Naesen, Sep, van Aert

Debusschere, Stybar

mudders.............

2 points

ClayDavis wrote:
I think it's time: Sep is going to do it.

VanMarcke, Stuyven, Benoot
Stybar, Viviani

2 points
trail wrote:
Dwars door Vlaanderen:

Greg Van Avermaet
Michal Kwiatowski
Phillipe Gilbert

Sep Vanmarcke
Wout Van Aert

1 point

echappist wrote:

Picks for Dwars

Vanmarcke, Terpstra, Naesen
Stuyven and Benoot

2 points

daveTDF wrote:
goin mostly belgium for dwars

Benoot, Naesen, Van Marcke
Van Aert, Kristoff

2 points

eb wrote:
Kristoff
Viviani
Stuyven

Naesen
Vanmarcke

1 point

McNulty wrote:
damn....swapped out Debusschere for Lampaert last second...dumb dumb.....

I wish Sep would just chill the eff out. Love the kid but he's so impatient.

indeed. Could be said that it had a hand in costing him Paris Roubaix. He was behind Cancellara entering the velodrome but was cajoled into the front...
Last edited by: echappist: Mar 28, 18 8:10
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In a week or so I'm going to poach this thread for some Paris Roubaix tips. I'm heading out to ride the cyclosportive and watch the race, and need a fairly long-ish odds outside chance who could actually win it, and pay for my biere et frites.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I suck
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most of us stunk this one up; two of my pics were in the second group, which is like finishing 4th.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:

Yes. Sep needs to learn who he is. He seems to try to throw the game-ending haymakers, like Sagan or Boonen. Guys with the ability to put in 30 seconds of raw power that just crushes the will of chasers. Sep isn't that guy. He can't win a fair fight. Instead of the in-your-face haymaker he needs to be the guy standing in the shadows with a shiv looking for an unfair fight. Like Lampaert was today.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah. And two of my picks did not even complete the race.

Man, QS is a monster team. I wonder what their tactics will be for PR and Flanders.

Sep looks strong but missing something (tactics or luck).
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:

Yes. Sep needs to learn who he is. He seems to try to throw the game-ending haymakers, like Sagan or Boonen. Guys with the ability to put in 30 seconds of raw power that just crushes the will of chasers. Sep isn't that guy. He can't win a fair fight. Instead of the in-your-face haymaker he needs to be the guy standing in the shadows with a shiv looking for an unfair fight. Like Lampaert was today.

for sure......i was watching and thought, ok, this is the group, no need to do squadoosh except stay in the wheels and recover as best you can..........meanwhile Sep's jumping around, pulling...........youth is wasted on the young.........that said, Lampaert was completely loaded for bear at the end, no beating him
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So strong but seems to race with legs and not mind. That race IQ could me missing element for him, much like it was for GvA or FC, who didn't have a big sprint but could finish off a long, hard race. It's easy to Monday Morning QB but if he'd keep powder dry or bridge instead of initiating, he'd surely bag a win at some point. Lampaert basically did what Sep was trying to do but waited until just the right moment and Boonened the group.
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: Mar 28, 18 12:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Flanders is going to be super hard to predict (than normal)

You have riders who are under pressure to deliver (I think). - Sagan, GVA, Krisoff
You have riders who are riding well. - Benoot, Sep, etc
Then you have the whole QS team who are on fire.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [noodle_soup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
agreed. I am thinking of signing up for Fubo just cause I think the whole thing will be worth watching.

getting the picks in early:

GVA beats Phil at the line in the most bitter, bloody, violent Ronde seen in years
Benoot comes in a filthy, exhausted, distant, third because those other two guys picked on him for 30k

Sagan beats three QS riders in a meaningless bunch sprint for 4th
i'll pick Lampaert as the QS 5th
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [noodle_soup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With QS the challenge seems to be less about if to pick one of them than who, the way they're going.

Ronde:
Sagan, GvA, Gilbert
Stybar, Benoot (edited)
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: Mar 28, 18 21:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stuyven for flanders
a QS rider
Benoot

IF the big three are together at the end then:
Sagan,
VA
and Sep

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:

He attacked at a bad time as well. The race was not overly hard and right into a corner in the rain, the attack was useless.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:

Agreed with this. I was at least happy he made the podium though. He also interviewed after and talked about how he wasn't feeling well and didn't quite have his power. Imagine if he had a team!

Quick Step has just had an unbelievable Spring. So many strong riders and Yves looked mighty powerful today.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [Ron_Burgundy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hate to say it... It's one of those unspoken things: a lot of these throwback belgian cyclists are dumb as rocks. A DS should have been telling him to chill. Especially with 40+ seconds on the next group which wasn't chasing save for 2 or 3 guys. Imagine if he put all that energy into one final attack (see: Lampaert) - would have been a 2-up to the line for the win.

I'm heading out of town so here goes my stupid Flanders predictions that will surely be terrible and embarrassing:

Sagan
Van Avarmaet
Benoot

Stybar
Nibali
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
With QS the challenge seems to be less about if to pick one of them than who, the way they're going.

Ronde:
Sagan, GvA, Gilbert
Stybar, Naesen

Hopefully Naesen will be able to take the start. Apparently he's pretty banged up after his crash. Fingers crossed!
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I’m on the trainer tonight watching the replay of Flanders 2017, Phil Gil’s excellent adventure. QS worked the field over, with Boonen and Keisse just ripping it with about 65k left, then tackling the field when PG went. Sep needed (easier said than done) to stick on Gilbert’s move but in his defense, no one really thought it would stick. Then Sep crashed. I really want him to get a monument.
Boonen mechanicalled but looked as if he could have podiumed.
TB is gone of course but QS can still spring Gilbert. However, I don’t think anyone is going to give him that kind of leash again. He’s going so well.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Didn’t know, going to change that one up. Thanks for tip!
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: Mar 28, 18 21:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One random observation, i am enjoying watching GVA over the last two seasons. He used to rub me the wrong way but since the olympics he has become a dynamic cyclist who has not been afraid to take chances. DDV was a great example, he knew the chase was going nowhere but he continued to pull and kept attacking, i like the style.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [Ron_Burgundy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, here are my pics for Flanders.

Bnoot
GvA
Gilbert
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ron_Burgundy wrote:
One random observation, i am enjoying watching GVA over the last two seasons. He used to rub me the wrong way but since the olympics he has become a dynamic cyclist who has not been afraid to take chances. DDV was a great example, he knew the chase was going nowhere but he continued to pull and kept attacking, i like the style.

Yeah, me too. He looks like he's having more fun, more relaxed, playing loose.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [trener1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1st Place some for Quick-Step

Sagan
Gilbert
Van Marcke
Quote Reply

Prev Next