Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
dsmallwood wrote:
Sagan just yawned. I swear to god.

I don't know. I think it was Gilbert glued to his wheel who yawned.

Edit: OK, now he's loose. But doesn't look super aero.

Fixed for you. Sagan doesn't fare well in extended solo mode due to his not-so-aero position. Terpstra has that classic long and low position
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
Terpstra has that classic long and low position

Not as aero as Pederson, though! Who also has the aero bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
yikes, Terpstra looks really strong; the other favs are pissing this away. 25 seconds is an awfully large gap...

Yep, he's going to win this. I guess people didn't learn from like...a week ago.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quickstep back in the late 90s early aughts mode again. The other temas better get smart about how to race properly. No one marked Terpstra when he made his moved to chase Nibali
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
Quickstep back in the late 90s early aughts mode again. The other temas better get smart about how to race properly. No one marked Terpstra when he made his moved to chase Nibali

For sure. Terpstra has done this before. He’s a baaaaaad man. Spits on Nibs and drops him.
Helluva ride from Pederson.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Newest tally up. Still tied at the top, with lead decided by tie-breaker

Carl Spackler wrote:
With QS the challenge seems to be less about if to pick one of them than who, the way they're going.

Ronde:
Sagan, GvA, Gilbert
Stybar, Benoot (edited)

3 points

daveTDF wrote:
I hate to say it... It's one of those unspoken things: a lot of these throwback belgian cyclists are dumb as rocks. A DS should have been telling him to chill. Especially with 40+ seconds on the next group which wasn't chasing save for 2 or 3 guys. Imagine if he put all that energy into one final attack (see: Lampaert) - would have been a 2-up to the line for the win.

I'm heading out of town so here goes my stupid Flanders predictions that will surely be terrible and embarrassing:

Sagan
Van Avarmaet
Benoot

Stybar
Nibali

1 point. Good call on cyclists without racing acumen...

trener1 wrote:
Ok, here are my pics for Flanders.

Bnoot
GvA
Gilbert

0 point

turdburgler wrote:
1st Place some for Quick-Step

Sagan
Gilbert
Van Marcke

incomplete entry

heyMartin wrote:
Sagan
Theuns
Gilbert

Naesen
Stuyven

2 points

noodle_soup wrote:
Picks for De Ronde

Terpstra
VanMarcke
Benoot

Gilbert
Stuyven

pick of the day!

5 points

Ron_Burgundy wrote:
Sagan, GVA, Kiwato

Naesen and Moscon

1 point
ClayDavis wrote:

Sagan, GvA, Gilbert
Benoot, Van Aert

3 points

trail wrote:
This is a tough one.

Sagan
Gilbert
Vanmarcke

Van Aert
Stybar

2 points

echappist wrote:
Sagan Benoot Gilbert
GvA and Vanmarcke

3 points

dsmallwood wrote:
tweaking slightly

GVA, Gilbert, Benoot
Sagan, Terpstra

and this race is an embarrassment of riches. Sagan ain't no wild-card/outsider, I'm just picking him for fourth.

not bad, 4 points

McNulty wrote:
Sagan, Gilbert, GvA
Terpstra, Benoot

good picks, 4 points

Benv wrote:
Sep, Benoot, Lampaert
Haussler, Langeveld

0 point; really hoped that move with Langeveld worked out

eb wrote:
Sagan
Gilbert
Vanmarcke
Van Avermaet
Terpstra

2 points
Last edited by: echappist: Apr 1, 18 8:27
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
echappist wrote:

For sure. Terpstra has done this before. He’s a baaaaaad man. Spits on Nibs and drops him.

I only saw the last hour, but very impressed by Pedersen. Proud to be a Dane today with Pedersen number 2 and Valgren number 4.

At TT nationals less than two years ago I caught Pedersen... by 4 minutes. Today I think I would have been a little more than 4 minutes down on him :p
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [MTM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
echappist wrote:

I wish they could DQ him for that s***. Perhaps he's just showing off to others: hey look, I'm so unfazed by this bridging effort I can actually spit and hit the target...

I don't like Nibs for being petulant, but this is a few orders of magnitude worse

QS just thugging it at the moment

MTM wrote:
McNulty wrote:
echappist wrote:

I only saw the last hour, but very impressed by Pedersen. Proud to be a Dane today with Pedersen number 2 and Valgren number 4.

At TT nationals less than two years ago I caught Pedersen... by 4 minutes. Today I think I would have been a little more than 4 minutes down on him :p

indeed; very impressive and brave ride

Speaking of Danes, whatever happened to Matti Breschel? seems to have disappeared off the radar
Last edited by: echappist: Apr 1, 18 8:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what? Terpstra spit on Nibs???!?!???
didn't see that. that is bad.

that race was fun. it wasn't the beauty/dominance of the Fabian or Boonen or Sagan run aways but it was entertaining.
perhaps these sorts of finishes are the norm when so many A-listers are on form. Kwi coulda won .... or he coulda finished 5 min back. like he did.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:

I know! As fantasy DS I was screaming into the radio, sounding general quarters, klaxons going off, etc, and my team just looked around. I understand that GVA, Sagan et al, didn't want to get suckered into responding multiple QS attacks. But Terpstra doesn't play around. He fires one bullet, and it's a good one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
McNulty wrote:
echappist wrote:

I wish they could DQ him for that s***. Perhaps he's just showing off to others: hey look, I'm so unfazed by this bridging effort I can actually spit and hit the target...

I don't like Nibs for being petulant, but this is a few orders of magnitude worse

QS just thugging it at the moment

MTM wrote:
McNulty wrote:
echappist wrote:

indeed; very impressive and brave ride

Speaking of Danes, whatever happened to Matti Breschel? seems to have disappeared off the radar

Agreed about the spitting. He did the same to Søren Kragh last year, I think it was in Gent-Wevelgem. Very poor form, I hope he at least gets a huge fine, but probably not. Better would be a time penalty, but that's not happening.

Breschel has had some bad seasons with illness and injuries. I think he has had a hard time just securing a contract. He had the flu a couple of weeks ago, I don't know how his form is at the moment - I only watch the last hour today, so didn't see him at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe he was riding well but crashed rather hard today.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's unfortunate. He can't catch a break it seems.

I heard Valgren was actually also implicated in an early crash today, but haven't seen it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What a horrible crash in the women's race. Hope the riders are OK but that wasn't looking good.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dsmallwood wrote:
what? Terpstra spit on Nibs???!?!???
didn't see that. that is bad.

that race was fun. it wasn't the beauty/dominance of the Fabian or Boonen or Sagan run aways but it was entertaining.
perhaps these sorts of finishes are the norm when so many A-listers are on form. Kwi coulda won .... or he coulda finished 5 min back. like he did.

Terpstra is a classless rider, but we already knew that. When he attacked it was over, they needed to shut it down right away. That is where Sagan or GVA has to have help or take the initiative.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [Ron_Burgundy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Terpstra did not spit!

Just reviewed the attack, why do people invent something like that?????
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [Testrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice recap video from Ronde VanVlarden at this link:

When I watch the classics it is like when I watch NFL. Awesome entertainment in brutal conditions and would never be interested in getting beat up like that. These guys are the hard men of sport.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Didn't make the highlight reels, but as if I wasn't already a fan -- On his way to another to 10 finish, Wout van Aert, after chasing back on post bike change, emptied his musette riding no-handed up the cobbled Kwaremont climb.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Testrider wrote:
Terpstra did not spit!

Carleton Kirby mentioned that Terpstra committed the offense when Terpstra was giving Nibs the angry eyes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why didn't Nibali work with Terpstra? Was it he just couldn't hang. If you are lucky enough to get in a move with one QS guy you are a made man, QS is going to shut the chase down. A lot easier to be mano-a-mano with one QS guy instead of trying to take on four guys.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pedersen had a monster ride.

Kudos to Trepstra for hanging on. At one point I seriously thought he was gonna blow. (Anyone has a clip of Trepstra spitting? I was watching the race and did not see it. I like him as a rider, but if he did that, then not cool.)

Sagan and GVA seems to be missing something. They have one more week to get their act together.

Sep and Benoot - WTH.

TBH I was surprised that the chase group did not catch Pedersen and Trepstra. There was a lot of firepower there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Testrider wrote:
Terpstra did not spit!

Eurosport guys both reacted with something like, “oh dear...he spit on him” when it purportedly occurred. They would not show a replay at the time so hard to say. Only reporting what I heard the commentators say.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [noodle_soup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just watched the last 30k again, the Terpstra attack needed to be shut down right away, that is his only weapon and he is know for that exact attack. That was a tactical mistake by Bora/BMC specifically. Sagan should know that if it comes down to a reduced bunch chase people will not work with him, same for GVA. In many ways terpstra and Gilbert are the only riders who are known for their long range attacks, they are the two riders you have to cover.

Bora showed they do not know how to use their riders effectively, why was Oss pulling on the front with several QS riders in tow? They either need to use their team to make a highly selective split or save them as much as possible for situations like today where a rider needs to be pulled in. Same could be said for BMC.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri_yoda wrote:
Why didn't Nibali work with Terpstra? Was it he just couldn't hang. If you are lucky enough to get in a move with one QS guy you are a made man, QS is going to shut the chase down. A lot easier to be mano-a-mano with one QS guy instead of trying to take on four guys.

I have to assume that Nibali did not have the legs. As you mentioned it makes zero sense otherwise.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When Oss was on the front I thought Sagan might have set it up perfectly. Looks like he move the pieces in place but Terpstra was just a little to strong and Peto not quite enough.
Quote Reply

Prev Next