Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Platypus Thread: Aero Virtual Elevation Testing Protocol [AndyF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stages power meter.
thks
Quote Reply
Re: Platypus Thread: Aero Virtual Elevation Testing Protocol [Linds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Linds wrote:
stages power meter.
thks
That introduces a potentially large unquantifiable error.

Aside from very low hanging aero fruit, I would say this is an application unsuitable for a Stages PM.

http://www.cyclecoach.com
http://www.aerocoach.com.au
Quote Reply
Re: Platypus Thread: Aero Virtual Elevation Testing Protocol [AlexS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Could you do aero testing with a stages PM if you did it as a one-leg drill?
Quote Reply
Re: Platypus Thread: Aero Virtual Elevation Testing Protocol [AndyF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndyF wrote:
What power meter were you using? Did you send the power meter 3 consecutive "zeros"? Were the offsets all the same?

I've been incorporating a 3-zero protocol lately for the power meters we use when aero testing. It's surprising how often the first zero sent to almost any power meter will be different than the subsequent ones. Try and see.

That may be the source of many aero "puzzles", btw.

Good tip. I usually do at least 3 zeroes both before and after the test - to also see if there has been any drift in the zero values. I have yet to see my SRM drift more than 1W during a test, though - that thing is rock solid. Not neceassarily the case with the other powermeters I've used (none mentioned, none forgotten :p).
Quote Reply
Re: Platypus Thread: Aero Virtual Elevation Testing Protocol [Linds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Linds wrote:
Given all of the above...is this data sufficient for (any) purpose?

It's sufficient for learning that you should probably use a speed sensor and you need to zero your PM. The VE profiles for the laps look pretty consistent. Was this an out-and-back with roughly 4 meters of elevation change from the start to the turnaround? Something odd happened on lap 2 of run 2 -- did a couple of cars pass or something? Regardless, I'd ignore that particular lap, though the rest of the laps seem okay. This is one of the good things about this particular protocol -- if you get something like a passing car or you have to hit the brakes or some other interruption, you can sometimes ignore that bit but salvage the rest of the run.

The very first loop I used was a 3.2km long test loop. Slightly longer than ideal but that's what I had available to me at the time.

The Stages might not be the best PM for this particular application, but I don't see anything grossly wrong that would invalidate it.

Whether 0.31 m^2 for CdA is worrisome depends on how tall you are. You've set all-inclusive mass at 92 kg so I'm guessing you're not tiny. In addition, if estimated Crr is low, your estimated CdA will be high, so if your tires had higher rolling resistance it'd drop your CdA estimate a little.

This is a good start.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AndyF wrote:
What power meter were you using? Did you send the power meter 3 consecutive "zeros"? Were the offsets all the same?

I've been incorporating a 3-zero protocol lately for the power meters we use when aero testing. It's surprising how often the first zero sent to almost any power meter will be different than the subsequent ones. Try and see.

Within what time frame?

When I do roller testing of tires, I'm setting the zero on a Quarq every 4-5 minutes and the number returned is typically within 2-3 units (and mine doesn't even have the 10k temperature compensation).

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Last edited by: Tom A.: Nov 30, 15 15:55
Quote Reply
Re: Platypus Thread: Aero Virtual Elevation Testing Protocol [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
AndyF wrote:

Within what time frame?

When I do roller testing of tires, I'm setting the zero on a Quarq every 4-5 minutes and the number returned is typically within 2-3 units (and mine doesn't even have the 10k temperature compensation).

I zero again when I get out to the testing venue but I still usually add an extra lap for the first run of the day that I intend to toss out. For some reason my very first lap often tends to be noisier than subsequent laps. I used to worry about it and try to figure out why but now I just do that first lap as a "reconnaissance" lap to spot my line and then I toss it.
Quote Reply
Re: Platypus Thread: Aero Virtual Elevation Testing Protocol [RChung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RChung wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
AndyF wrote:

Within what time frame?

I zero again when I get out to the testing venue but I still usually add an extra lap for the first run of the day that I intend to toss out. For some reason my very first lap often tends to be noisier than subsequent laps. I used to worry about it and try to figure out why but now I just do that first lap as a "reconnaissance" lap to spot my line and then I toss it.

It's OK...similar things happen in a wind tunnel session ;-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Platypus Thread: Aero Virtual Elevation Testing Protocol [RChung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RChung wrote:
Linds wrote:

Given all of the above...is this data sufficient for (any) purpose?

It's sufficient for learning that you should probably use a speed sensor and you need to zero your PM. The VE profiles for the laps look pretty consistent. Was this an out-and-back with roughly 4 meters of elevation change from the start to the turnaround? Something odd happened on lap 2 of run 2 -- did a couple of cars pass or something? Regardless, I'd ignore that particular lap, though the rest of the laps seem okay. This is one of the good things about this particular protocol -- if you get something like a passing car or you have to hit the brakes or some other interruption, you can sometimes ignore that bit but salvage the rest of the run.

The very first loop I used was a 3.2km long test loop. Slightly longer than ideal but that's what I had available to me at the time.

The Stages might not be the best PM for this particular application, but I don't see anything grossly wrong that would invalidate it.

Whether 0.31 m^2 for CdA is worrisome depends on how tall you are. You've set all-inclusive mass at 92 kg so I'm guessing you're not tiny. In addition, if estimated Crr is low, your estimated CdA will be high, so if your tires had higher rolling resistance it'd drop your CdA estimate a little.

This is a good start.

Thanks Robert,

I'm 192cm and 83kg with full bike kit on. I have narrow shoulders and thin limbs...attributes I had hoped might assist being at least somewhat aero.
I have had a professional bike fit and I have adjusted a few things since then but I have no idea what kind of cda is reasonable to aim for for a rider my size/shape.

I'm not sure of the elevation difference from start to turnaround - can only go off the Garmin and the VE but 4m is in the ballpark I suppose.
I will go ahead and put on the speed sensor and be sure to zero the PM next time.
Quote Reply
Re: Platypus Thread: Aero Virtual Elevation Testing Protocol [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:

Within what time frame?

3 quick zeros with a 30-sec time-frame.

Quote:

You have a good N=1 power meter. This year, I've seen maybe 60-70 different power meters while aero testing and I need to zero at least 3x and make sure that the last 2 zeros return a similar offset. This is true across all power meter brands that I've seen:
SRM, P2max, Quarq, Powertap hub, Powertap P1 pedals

Yesterday's run, for instance, had a rider with an SRM. We'd hit it with a zero and it would return something like: 532, 527, 528, 528.

AndyF
bike geek
Last edited by: AndyF: Dec 1, 15 2:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I noted what Robert said about the sensitivity of the Cda to the Crr.
A little on line research came up with a Crr for my tyres(vittoria corsa tubulars) of 0.0054.
Using that, my new Cda is 0.265 with my deep dish front.
That is more like I expected.
But still needs careful confirmation which I will do some time soon.
Thks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AndyF wrote:
Tom A. wrote:

Within what time frame?

3 quick zeros with a 30-sec time-frame.

Quote:

You have a good N=1 power meter. This year, I've seen maybe 60-70 different power meters while aero testing and I need to zero 3x and make sure that the last 2 zeros return a similar offset. This is true across all power meter brands that I've seen:
SRM, P2max, Quarq, Powertap hub, Powertap P1 pedals

Yesterday's run, for instance, had a rider with an SRM. We'd hit it with a zero and it would return something like: 532, 527, 528, 528.

You probably already know this, but the units on the returned zero can vary quite a lot between different brands of powermeters (and even within the same brand depending on the slope). IIRC each unit on Power2max is something on the order of 1-2W (at a cadence of ~90 rpm - but depends on the slope of the individual unit), whereas for a Quarq or SRM it is on the order of 0.3W (but slope-dependent on the SRM at least).
Quote Reply
Re: Platypus Thread: Aero Virtual Elevation Testing Protocol [MTM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MTM wrote:

You probably already know this, but the units on the returned zero can vary quite a lot between different brands of powermeters (and even within the same brand depending on the slope). IIRC each unit on Power2max is something on the order of 1-2W (at a cadence of ~90 rpm - but depends on the slope of the individual unit), whereas for a Quarq or SRM it is on the order of 0.3W (but slope-dependent on the SRM at least).

Yup.

But I just wanted to point out that the very first "zero" may sometimes be out-of-whack. Make sure the offset stabilizes, and keep track of your zeros. If they move around too much, then consider sending your pm back to the factory.

The more you know about gluing strain gauges to metal, the more you want to keep close tabs on your pm.

AndyF
bike geek
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Andy,

Have you tried using a "Headwind" column into Aerolab recently ? I must be doing something wrong, it is being ignored.
Quote Reply
Re: Platypus Thread: Aero Virtual Elevation Testing Protocol [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
Hi Andy,

Have you tried using a "Headwind" column into Aerolab recently ? I must be doing something wrong, it is being ignored.

Lately no, but I was "involved" in getting headwind into Aerolab in the first place. :-)

I think you have to spell it right. "headwind" is what I just found in the code:
https://github.com/...9C%93&q=headwind

AndyF
bike geek
Last edited by: AndyF: Dec 1, 15 4:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AndyF wrote:
marcag wrote:
Hi Andy,

Lately no, but I was "involved" in getting headwind into Aerolab in the first place. :-)

I think you have to spell it right. "headwind" is what I just found in the code:

thanks

I'll play a little more. I tried "Headwind" and "headwind". If I put it in the last column it gets ignored. If I put it right after "Km/h" it gives me an Error message "Insuffucient valid data". I am basing the rest of format on what GC exports to .csv

Minutes, Torq (N-m), Km/h, headwind, Watts, Km, Cadence, Hrate ID, Altitude (m)
0.0166667, 0, 11.1852 ,1.1, 120, 0.00309, 22, 93, 0, 1.20001
Last edited by: marcag: Dec 1, 15 4:46
Quote Reply
Re: Platypus Thread: Aero Virtual Elevation Testing Protocol [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
AndyF wrote:
marcag wrote:
Hi Andy,

thanks

I'll play a little more. I tried "Headwind" and "headwind". If I put it in the last column it gets ignored. If I put it right after "Km/h" it gives me an Error message "Insuffucient valid data". I am basing the rest of format on what GC exports to .csv

Minutes, Torq (N-m), Km/h, headwind, Watts, Km, Cadence, Hrate ID, Altitude (m)
0.0166667, 0, 11.1852 ,1.1, 120, 0.00309, 22, 93, 0, 1.20001

Cool, I didn't know they had implemented headwind! Let me know if you get it to work.

To go a step further is would be super cool if you could just input a wind speed and direction and then it would calculate the headwind (and apply it) using that information combined with the direction of the ride at any point (using GPS coordinates). I think it could work OK as long as the course you are riding is not too twisty or technical. And yaw angle could then also easily be added - but now we're getting into BBS territory :)
Quote Reply
Re: Platypus Thread: Aero Virtual Elevation Testing Protocol [MTM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MTM wrote:

Cool, I didn't know they had implemented headwind! Let me know if you get it to work.

To go a step further is would be super cool if you could just input a wind speed and direction and then it would calculate the headwind (and apply it) using that information combined with the direction of the ride at any point (using GPS coordinates). I think it could work OK as long as the course you are riding is not too twisty or technical. And yaw angle could then also easily be added - but now we're getting into BBS territory :)

I need to poke around more but at first glance

- Headwind is supported
- You can't import it via .csv, but you can add the column in the editor
- It will export to .json
- It seems to import from json
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As an import column it only appears to be supported for JSON files.
I've not tried it as a manual column. In my imported data it comes after Longitude and is 'Headwind'.

Note that it would be better described as air speed than headwind. So a 0 headwind is the same value as Speed and a headwind is a value a bit higher than Speed, if that makes sense.

Developing aero, fit and other fun stuff at Red is Faster
Last edited by: SkippyKitten: Dec 1, 15 22:18
Quote Reply
Re: Platypus Thread: Aero Virtual Elevation Testing Protocol [SkippyKitten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whichever one you code, some much smarter person that comes along 6 years later will make a case for the other. Better to not do anything at all sometimes. :-)

AndyF
bike geek
Last edited by: AndyF: Dec 1, 15 19:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It wasn't a criticism; "Working software over comprehensive documentation" and all that. If I was that smart I'd have pulled my finger out and contributed to GC.

Last edited by: SkippyKitten: Dec 2, 15 3:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Linds wrote:
I noted what Robert said about the sensitivity of the Cda to the Crr. [..]
But still needs careful confirmation which I will do some time soon.
Is this venue an out-and-back, that's mostly flat?

If you really want to nail down CdA and Crr there's a way to do that, but you'll need a wider range in speed and power than you used previously (you said you did most of those previous tests at around a constant 150 watts, right?). A good side effect is that you typically don't need to do quite so many laps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
MTM wrote:

I need to poke around more but at first glance

- Headwind is supported
- You can't import it via .csv, but you can add the column in the editor
- It will export to .json
- It seems to import from json

Thanks for the update. I haven't tried adding columns manually in the editor - can you just copy/paste a column from Excel? I have not worked with .json at all, so don't know if it might be easy to make a .json file to import it from. I was basically thinking of mounting a wind sensor on my bike (have done this before) and try and get that data into the column. The wind sensor I have can export to .csv, so have to add the data into GC semi-manually somehow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSON is a JavaScript representation of your data. Great for manipulating in a browser or a bit of code. Not so good for people, even with a decent editor.

Getting airspeed data in there works wonders! May I ask what you were using to measure it? It took me months to get good quality data.

Quote Reply
Re: Platypus Thread: Aero Virtual Elevation Testing Protocol [SkippyKitten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SkippyKitten wrote:
JSON is a JavaScript representation of your data. Great for manipulating in a browser or a bit of code. Not so good for people, even with a decent editor.

Getting airspeed data in there works wonders! May I ask what you were using to measure it? It took me months to get good quality data.

Sounds like manual entry into GC will be the way to go for me then. Hope it's easy to copy-paste from Excel.

I'm just using a Brunton ADC Pro which samples every 5 seconds. Nothing fancy and am not expecting to get any breathtaking data from it, mostly playing around and getting a feel for wind speed and things like that. So far I've only mounted it on the handlebar, but the data might suggest I need to put it further out in front to not be impacted too much by the lump behind it (i.e. me).

How is your project getting along? Need any beta testers? ;-)

Edit: Just read your blog, seems like things are getting along nicely. I don't know which Garmin you are using for GPS, but I might suggest the Edge 1000 if you are not already using that. The GLONASS seems to help a lot, but even compared to the Edge 520 (which also has GLONASS) it picks up a signal much faster and is likely also better/more accurate with regards to speed data. I don't even use a speed sensor for field testing anymore and the speed data is perfectly fine (I do field test in a place with a clear view of the sky, though - but the speed data from my old Edge 500 would still be way too bad).
Last edited by: MTM: Dec 2, 15 13:23
Quote Reply

Prev Next