Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Platypus Thread: Aero Virtual Elevation Testing Protocol [RChung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RChung wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
RChung wrote:
lanierb wrote:

On the Crr testing issue, if CdA and Crr are changing with speed, how about testing at identical speeds but adding/subtracting weight? Has anyone tried this approach? Once my shoulder heals I could give it a go with water bottles filled with lead. (Thinking out loud: lead would add significant weight so thinking that I would need to adjust tire pressure to hold Crr constant.)

That's exactly what I've been proposing for a while as a validation and precision check (and what Pierre (bugno) and I were chuckling about a few posts above). I've done a couple of these "delta mass" tests with empty and full water bottles. I used to use sand but then switched to small nails. I didn't want to use lead weights both because I wanted to re-use my water bottles and also because lead shot is kinda expensive. (On the other hand, a penny weighs 3 grams so $5 of pennies weighs 1.5kg). For me, with my other parameters, 1.5kg in mass increases rolling resistance force by the equivalent of ~.0001 in Crr, or around 10cm in virtual elevation per km. So over a 3 km run on a windless day, I was expecting to see a change in VE of ~30 cm between empty and loaded tests, which is pretty noticeable. So I did that, but at varying speeds, and was observing a VE difference close to that. But then the wind came back up, so I didn't get to do more tests.

Is this a case where you'd want to use Gatorskins or Tufos? (To get a bigger "signal")...the larger the Crr, the larger the absolute increase in rolling resistance force per kg, no?

Friends don't let friends ride Gatorskins or Tufos.

Not for pleasure...but, this is for SCIENCE! :-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Platypus Thread: Aero Virtual Elevation Testing Protocol [bugno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting...but, I have to point out, in all of those additional examples you show, the apparent changes are significantly less than what is seen on that Grappe chart originally used as an example.

Also, speaking of the TT position being less change...having done quite a number of field tests, and having been in the wind tunnel as a rider, I would be hesitant to look at non-TT position data over wide variations in speed.

First off, in my own field tests I've observed that the results are much more consistent when testing with a TT position (where the rider is more "locked" in place...with a good position, that is ;-) than when testing with a road "on the hoods" or "in the drops" position.

Second, unless the wind tunnel testing was with a mannequin, I know there's a tendency for a rider to "brace" against increasing air speed, or even make subtle movements like ducking a head more, or decreasing torso angle as the wind speed comes up. I've found myself doing it at times, and although subtle, it can affect the results, especially with road positions.

For those 2 reasons, I try to do any of my field testing in an aero position...even if it means mounting aerobar extensions on a "gravel" bike ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: Platypus Thread: Aero Virtual Elevation Testing Protocol [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
...I would be hesitant to look at non-TT position data over wide variations in speed.

Agreed, and I would expect noisier data for non-TT positions even at constant speeds. With a mannequin in the wind tunnel we've found noisier data with hands on the hoods, and cleaner data with torso closer to horizontal. Our suspicion is the flow over the rider may be more stable with the torso closer to horizontal.

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Re: Platypus Thread: Aero Virtual Elevation Testing Protocol [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damon_rinard wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
...I would be hesitant to look at non-TT position data over wide variations in speed.

Agreed, and I would expect noisier data for non-TT positions even at constant speeds. With a mannequin in the wind tunnel we've found noisier data with hands on the hoods, and cleaner data with torso closer to horizontal. Our suspicion is the flow over the rider may be more stable with the torso closer to horizontal.

That's right! You mentioned that issue with flow steadiness relative to torso angle when you talked to josh@silca on his podcast.

Quote Reply
Re: Platypus Thread: Aero Virtual Elevation Testing Protocol [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damon_rinard wrote:
Tom A. wrote:

That was a good insight from your podcast with Josh.
Quote Reply
Re: Platypus Thread: Aero Virtual Elevation Testing Protocol [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Interesting...but, I have to point out, in all of those additional examples you show, the apparent changes are significantly less than what is seen on that Grappe chart originally used as an example.

Also, speaking of the TT position being less change...having done quite a number of field tests, and having been in the wind tunnel as a rider, I would be hesitant to look at non-TT position data over wide variations in speed.

First off, in my own field tests I've observed that the results are much more consistent when testing with a TT position (where the rider is more "locked" in place...with a good position, that is ;-) than when testing with a road "on the hoods" or "in the drops" position.

Second, unless the wind tunnel testing was with a mannequin, I know there's a tendency for a rider to "brace" against increasing air speed, or even make subtle movements like ducking a head more, or decreasing torso angle as the wind speed comes up. I've found myself doing it at times, and although subtle, it can affect the results, especially with road positions.

For those 2 reasons, I try to do any of my field testing in an aero position...even if it means mounting aerobar extensions on a "gravel" bike ;-)

Agreed on the above points and many others raised here.
- We recently mounted aerobar extensions to a 'gravel' bike for ALL of our Crr testing conducted in Houston TX in March. It worked really well. Then COVID hit and we had to wait for snow to melt in Alberta.
- Not only do you have challenges with maintaining position in drops or hoods, you also have experienced riders whose trials at low wattage are positionally changing when compared to high wattage (essentially they are tensed vs relaxed or have more/less sway in their shoulders and this has a change in CdA that makes repeatability a major issue).
- When it comes to the 'bluff body' and unsteady flow effects of an upright rider, this is on much shorter timescales than a full trial (say 1km loop). So one would expect that the effects would average out over a trial and not be a major issue for data variability. In my view, the major issue is the uncontrolled positional changes as noted above.
- I worked with Scarano at TU Delft doing Tomographic PIV during my PhD (about 8 years ago!). There are many challenges in extracting drag estimates (real-time or time-averaged) from the flow field alone and application of control volume approaches. The present state of the art in this type of flow measurement and force estimation still requires substantial refinement before it could become a mainstream tool. I think they named it the "ring of fire" concept originally. Cool name, needs more comprehensive validation studies.
- As the cycling industry started to use technology that generated airflow development effects which were sensitive to Reynolds number (laminar airfoil type shapes with separation and hysteresis effects, skin suits, etc.), I threw the "CdA of a cyclist is perfectly constant with Reynolds number" out the window. Is it close enough to constant over a typical range of speeds a rider would experience? In many cases, yes!

Chris Morton, PhD
Associate Professor, Mechanical Engineering
co-Founder and inventor of AeroLab Tech
For updates see Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Platypus Thread: Aero Virtual Elevation Testing Protocol [AeroTech] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AeroTech wrote:

- As the cycling industry started to use technology that generated airflow development effects which were sensitive to Reynolds number (laminar airfoil type shapes with separation and hysteresis effects, skin suits, etc.), I threw the "CdA of a cyclist is perfectly constant with Reynolds number" out the window. Is it close enough to constant over a typical range of speeds a rider would experience? In many cases, yes!

Right, I think the important question isn't "are CdA and Crr speed-dependent?" We think they are. The important question is "how speed-dependent are they over the range of speeds we experience as cyclists?" That's an empirical question. It's handy to have a way to test and assess speed dependence.
Last edited by: RChung: Jun 9, 20 12:24
Quote Reply
Re: Platypus Thread: Aero Virtual Elevation Testing Protocol [RChung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with Robert: Few parameters that appear in modelling within Continuum Mechanics are fundamental constants. Commonly, we treat them as constants since such a convenient approximation leads to empirically adequate results.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
damon_rinard wrote:
Tom A. wrote:

And we can imagine there the only possible use case of aero sensors during a ride. Not to measure a position or a piece of equipment, cause very possibly too unprecise (because of Crr/position/speed changes) for real-time CdA, but nevertheless enough to monitor and train the rider to keep a more aero position during a ride. An average CdA on the whole ride will be a new metric, and a reward if day after day, the number decreases. Only for road racers, where CdA range during long ride is large (IME, +/-0.06) and more trainable, not for TT racers, where it is normally very limited for short durations if well trained (IME, +/-0.005).

Blog | Twitter| Bike CdaCrr app
Last edited by: bugno: Jun 9, 20 14:04
Quote Reply
Re: Platypus Thread: Aero Virtual Elevation Testing Protocol [mslawins] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mslawins wrote:
I agree with Robert: Few parameters that appear in modelling within Continuum Mechanics are fundamental constants. Commonly, we treat them as constants since such a convenient approximation leads to empirically adequate results.
Another consideration is to view CdA, Crr, etc., as distributions, not as specific values. Thus, we might say that--with a given probability--a<CdA<b; e.g., Fig. 11 of https://arxiv.org/pdf/2005.04229.pdf .
Quote Reply
Re: Platypus Thread: Aero Virtual Elevation Testing Protocol [bugno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi guys, Dan Bigham here. I'm not a regular poster on ST but I got sent this thread and found it pretty interesting! I have a few things to throw out there that I'm sure you'll enjoy digging in to.

I've seen CdA vary with speed pretty much since I started aero testing back at university. Have a google on "drag crisis" and you'll see pretty quickly why cyclist's CdAs are sensitive to speed. I've measured it on track, as you've seen from the Cycling Weekly test data posted in here from 2017, but also in the wind tunnel. See below for a speed sweep we did on one of our track team riders last year, using a "rough" suit.

As velocity increases surface roughness (skinsuit fabric) helps to transition the boundary layer to turbulent, and therefore increases it's resistance to separation in negative pressure gradients, reducing pressure drag. This is the critical Re range, above this there is no further benefit and CdA starts to increase again as velocity increases further. Plenty to read here for those interested: https://www.sciencedirect.com/...167610520300532#fig1

It's even more clear in fabric testing. I'm not at liberty to share any of our (HUUB's) test data but luckily enough Rule28 Clothing have shared theirs publicly, which was nice of them! For full disclosure, I don't work for or have involvement with Rule28. They used to sponsor both my road and track teams (Ribble Weldtite & HUUB Wattbike), and I tested their original aero sock back in 2017 for them. Link to their testing overview here: https://www.rule28.com/...2020-product-testing and to download their fabric testing data off their website here: https://drive.google.com/...X_USiyV90mYbWSZ/view

Just one of their fabric's graphs.

Have a look through all their fabric data and you'll see how varied each fabric's performance is, even when it is just simply flipped or rotated. It's why I've always found it funny when "aero stripe" is talked about like it's one fabric that performs the same, when there is probably >40 "striped" fabrics on the market all with their own Cd-Re curves that are wildly different. Obviously, this data applies to a cylinder (arm or a leg), but the principle still stands for a cyclist that is effectively a collection of different sizes cylinders (~ish). I've tested a lot of suits that clearly "drop in" at different speeds, depending on the fabric chosen. This aligns well with fabric testing. You can run the numbers on the size of a rider's lower leg to get frontal area, multiply up by the Cd at your chosen Reynolds number (speed) and see pretty quickly how big of a CdA reduction you are likely to get.

Hope that adds a bit to the discussion, even if it presents a few headaches for those doing variable speed runs to separate out CdA and Crr. The Crr-speed sensitivity is a whole other can of worms!
Last edited by: Biggles22: Jun 10, 20 1:58
Quote Reply
Re: Platypus Thread: Aero Virtual Elevation Testing Protocol [Biggles22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With this could say that regression method has a limitation.

We have a critical point from it Cda increase again. I think that is the same for Crr.
Quote Reply
Re: Platypus Thread: Aero Virtual Elevation Testing Protocol [Biggles22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Biggles22 wrote:
. See below for a speed sweep we did on one of our track team riders last year, using a "rough" suit.

Dan, thanks for chiming in.

Do you have more data for the left of that chart. How does the curve look left of 50km/h ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
damon_rinard wrote:
RChung wrote:
...GPS speed and gradient and a Stages power meter...

I noticed you noted that. :-)

This is why I love this forum...

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Platypus Thread: Aero Virtual Elevation Testing Protocol [mslawins] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mslawins wrote:
mslawins wrote:

Another consideration is to view CdA, Crr, etc., as distributions, not as specific values. Thus, we might say that--with a given probability--a<CdA<b; e.g., Fig. 11 of https://arxiv.org/pdf/2005.04229.pdf .

Michael, thanks. Yup, I've done some distributions of the drag parameters too, though not in a formal Bayesian sense. Getting parameter distributions is easier on the velodrome than out on the road but it's possible (though more of a pain in the butt to do).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Biggles22 wrote:
I've seen CdA vary with speed pretty much since I started aero testing back at university. Have a google on "drag crisis" and you'll see pretty quickly why cyclist's CdAs are sensitive to speed. I've measured it on track, as you've seen from the Cycling Weekly test data posted in here from 2017, but also in the wind tunnel. See below for a speed sweep we did on one of our track team riders last year, using a "rough" suit.

Dan, thanks for joining the discussion.

You're seeing ~3% decrease in CdA with an increase in speed from 14 to 18 m/s (= 50 to 65 km/h, or 30 to 40 mph). I presume this was in the tunnel? I think we all agree that CdA is speed-dependent, and that we can trip through a drag crisis -- the question is at what speeds and for which shapes.

I think one of the things which I've perhaps under-emphasized (since it doesn't come up very ofen) is that I can detect speed-dependence in velodrome tests. It's more work but generally when the answer is important I bite the bullet and do it. That said, on the occasions when it's been important enough to do that, I was mostly interested in total drag from both CdA and Crr together and not so much interested in the separate parts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BTW: One of my coauthors, and a former postdoc, Tomasz Danek is very much a "Baysian"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mslawins wrote:
BTW: One of my coauthors, and a former postdoc, Tomasz Danek is very much a "Bayesian"
(To be fair, we should perhaps credit Pierre-Simon Laplace more than Thomas Bayes ... .)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Biggles22 wrote:
Hi guys, Dan Bigham here. I'm not a regular poster on ST but I got sent this thread and found it pretty interesting! I have a few things to throw out there that I'm sure you'll enjoy digging in to.

As velocity increases surface roughness (skinsuit fabric) helps to transition the boundary layer to turbulent, and therefore increases it's resistance to separation in negative pressure gradients, reducing pressure drag. This is the critical Re range, above this there is no further benefit and CdA starts to increase again as velocity increases further. Plenty to read here for those interested: https://www.sciencedirect.com/...167610520300532#fig1

It's even more clear in fabric testing. I'm not at liberty to share any of our (HUUB's) test data but luckily enough Rule28 Clothing have shared theirs publicly, which was nice of them! For full disclosure, I don't work for or have involvement with Rule28. They used to sponsor both my road and track teams (Ribble Weldtite & HUUB Wattbike), and I tested their original aero sock back in 2017 for them. Link to their testing overview here: https://www.rule28.com/...2020-product-testing and to download their fabric testing data off their website here: https://drive.google.com/...X_USiyV90mYbWSZ/view

Just one of their fabric's graphs.

Have a look through all their fabric data and you'll see how varied each fabric's performance is, even when it is just simply flipped or rotated. It's why I've always found it funny when "aero stripe" is talked about like it's one fabric that performs the same, when there is probably >40 "striped" fabrics on the market all with their own Cd-Re curves that are wildly different. Obviously, this data applies to a cylinder (arm or a leg), but the principle still stands for a cyclist that is effectively a collection of different sizes cylinders (~ish). I've tested a lot of suits that clearly "drop in" at different speeds, depending on the fabric chosen. This aligns well with fabric testing. You can run the numbers on the size of a rider's lower leg to get frontal area, multiply up by the Cd at your chosen Reynolds number (speed) and see pretty quickly how big of a CdA reduction you are likely to get.

Hope that adds a bit to the discussion, even if it presents a few headaches for those doing variable speed runs to separate out CdA and Crr. The Crr-speed sensitivity is a whole other can of worms!

Thank you Dan for taking the time to share your experience with us. The Rule28 database is impressive. I aero tested several socks, but never saw the claimed gains, while the advantage brought by the management of the separation of the flow is proven by science for a long time. I guess the Reynolds number for my legs was too low, too often :-) Really need to check carefully next times, and plot airspeed histograms as for my venue, it varies from 15 to 50 kmh.

Blog | Twitter| Bike CdaCrr app
Last edited by: bugno: Jun 10, 20 12:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Biggles22 wrote:
I've measured it on track, as you've seen from the Cycling Weekly test data posted in here from 2017, but also in the wind tunnel. See below for a speed sweep we did on one of our track team riders last year, using a "rough" suit.

Dan, how were you measuring CdA on the track?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is this method for calculate Crr any similar to GC? Or it could be more accuracy?

https://www.researchgate.net/..._on_aerodynamic_drag

"Firstly, the cyclists performed a discontinuous incremental exercise at different V to determine the rolling resistance coefficient (Cr) from the RT-V2 linear regression method (Grappe et al. 1997)"
Quote Reply
Re: Platypus Thread: Aero Virtual Elevation Testing Protocol [cyclistgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclistgo wrote:
Is this method for calculate Crr any similar to GC? Or it could be more accuracy?

https://www.researchgate.net/..._on_aerodynamic_drag

"Firstly, the cyclists performed a discontinuous incremental exercise at different V to determine the rolling resistance coefficient (Cr) from the RT-V2 linear regression method (Grappe et al. 1997)"

Ah, I was there at that conference and spoke with the authors. So, that's what I've been calling the "classic regression" method, which is a special case of what I do. That is, in that method you do runs at different speeds but each run is done at constant speed and power. So it, too, assumes that your speeds are in a range where Crr and CdA don't change with speed. It's a special case because in their experiment they have to hold speed and power constant so they can assume acceleration is zero; I take acceleration into account so you don't have to make that assumption. If you *can* hold acceleration to zero, my method calculates all the accelerations to be zero so it simplifies to theirs. If you can't, my method is more accurate because they omit an important variable while I include it. In statistical terms, they're subject to what's called "omitted variable bias."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, undertand it.

If I want to control Crr (Coeficient), without calculate it, which variables I need to control? Air temperature and wheel pressure? Or perhaps wheel width also?
Quote Reply
Re: Platypus Thread: Aero Virtual Elevation Testing Protocol [cyclistgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclistgo wrote:
Ok, undertand it.

If I want to control Crr (Coeficient), without calculate it, which variables I need to control? Air temperature and wheel pressure? Or perhaps wheel width also?

If all you want to do is compare CdA, just use the same tires at the same tire pressure. Measure (or estimate) air density and use a fixed constant value for Crr. That won't be exactly correct, but it will get you close. Then you'll be able to get an approximate value for CdA for that particular assumed value of Crr. You can use that to estimate speeds at different powers. That's what I did for a couple of hour record attempts: we couldn't have known what the air density was going to be on the day of the attempt, nor what power the rider would actually be able to maintain so I put together a table that said, "with these values for Crr and CdA, if the air density was *this* and you could average *that* power, then here's how far you will go." After the attempts, we knew what the air density had been, and what power the rider had produced so we could see whether the predictions were correct. Pretty damn close.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RChung wrote:
If all you want to do is compare CdA, just use the same tires at the same tire pressure. Measure (or estimate) air density and use a fixed constant value for Crr. That won't be exactly correct, but it will get you close. Then you'll be able to get an approximate value for CdA for that particular assumed value of Crr. You can use that to estimate speeds at different powers. That's what I did for a couple of hour record attempts: we couldn't have known what the air density was going to be on the day of the attempt, nor what power the rider would actually be able to maintain so I put together a table that said, "with these values for Crr and CdA, if the air density was *this* and you could average *that* power, then here's how far you will go." After the attempts, we knew what the air density had been, and what power the rider had produced so we could see whether the predictions were correct. Pretty damn close.
Yeah a corollary to the result that it's hard to tell the difference between Crr and CdA is that, for most purposes, you don't need precise estimates of them separately to get useful predictions. As long as they are consistent with each other and ball park correct you're good.
Quote Reply

Prev Next