Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Platypus Thread: Aero Virtual Elevation Testing Protocol [NickD1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NickD1 wrote:
- Garmin speed sensor. I realised after posting the chart this morning that my protocol has a slight flaw, because I didn't change the wheel circumference when I dropped the tyre pressure. Today, I measured the circumference changes, and there is almost a 2% reduction, going from 45psi to 15psi, so I need to correct the measured speeds and see how much that changes the CRR results. A slower speed for the lower pressures should give a higher CRR values for the lower pressures I think. I'll re-post the corrected chart once I do it.

I just updated the chart in my original post, after correcting the speeds for reduced wheel circumference at lower pressures. Overall, it doesn't change the conclusion that lowest pressure is best. The gradient of the trendline through the red points has reduced by a factor of 0.85.
Quote Reply
Re: Platypus Thread: Aero Virtual Elevation Testing Protocol [liversedge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
liversedge wrote:
Will increase it, its trivial to do, even if just for one user :)

Cheers
Mark

Very nice. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Platypus Thread: Aero Virtual Elevation Testing Protocol [RChung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is an example do it in Anadia velodrome. Wooden surface. There are many options for Crr and Cda values.

Any link where see specific protocol for indoor velodrome for calculate Cda and Crr values?

Is require to know when and where start the test?
Quote Reply
Re: Platypus Thread: Aero Virtual Elevation Testing Protocol [cyclistgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is the same example.
Quote Reply
Re: Platypus Thread: Aero Virtual Elevation Testing Protocol [cyclistgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclistgo wrote:
This is an example do it in Anadia velodrome. Wooden surface. There are many options for Crr and Cda values.

Any link where see specific protocol for indoor velodrome for calculate Cda and Crr values?

Is require to know when and where start the test?

I’ve worked there, what tyres and pressures were you using?

AeroCoach UK
http://www.aero-coach.co.uk
Quote Reply
Re: Platypus Thread: Aero Virtual Elevation Testing Protocol [Xavier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vitoria Pista Speed. 9 front 14 rear.

My question is about if it´s possible to determine in stable test Cda and Crr or is necessary change velocity.
And with it we can get lot of combination numbers for Crr and Cda.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cyclistgo wrote:
My question is about if it´s possible to determine in stable test Cda and Crr or is necessary change velocity.

Is it heresy? I was never able to perform a single stable test run on a wooden indoor track (200m, 45°, 17.75m curve radius) in order to determine Cda and Crr simultaneously.

It is often stated, that because power to overcome aero drag scales with the cube of speed and power to overcome rolling resistance scales linearly with speed it is possible to separate Cda and Crr. I was never successful to separate them with actual power data from an aero test on an indoor track. And I tried it often, with varying speeds, with a “live†system like the Garmin Track Aero System, with the Chung method, with multi variable nonlinear global fit methods … . Therefore I have built a Crr test rig with a big wooden drum to determine Crr for the aero tested wheels + tires + inner tubes combinations.
Quote Reply
Re: Platypus Thread: Aero Virtual Elevation Testing Protocol [BergHugi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting BergHugi. In this case which could be your best option?

I´m thinking in check Crr in https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/road-bike-reviews, and control all variables to mantain stable Crr or adjust. It will be possible for example to adjust Crr with pressure tyre and temperature?

And only use aerolab for calculate Cda.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For aero testing of TT positions I would take a reasonably Crr value for example from https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/road-bike-reviews (Crr on a wooden track are on the lower end), do not change the wheels, try to do you runs at the same speed and use aerolab.For aero testing of wheels, try to do the runs at the same speed, same lap times, with equal tires and inner tubes. What takes less Watts is faster.
Quote Reply
Re: Platypus Thread: Aero Virtual Elevation Testing Protocol [BergHugi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And if I will try to calculate exact cda value and Crr it will be possible with this methodology?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fix Crr and let CdA be the only variable in aerolab. You don't get the correct absolut value for CdA (How to measure a true absolut CdA? Does it even exist?), but it should be ok to compare different setups.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok I understand.

Then which could be the most accuracy protocol for calculate Crr isolted in velodrome?

I´m going again in July for more test and I want to try to get accuracy data for both, Crr and Cda.

For calculate Cda I want to do 3 test per setup at stable velocity, concretly at competition velocity, for compare repeatability. Each test around 3-4 minutes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cyclistgo wrote:

Estimating CdA and Crr from the same data set is possible but it's pretty demanding of good data and good experimental technique. The short answer is it's necessary to change velocity. The fuller answer will require a little dip into statistical estimation. I'll try to keep it short and understandable.

In order to estimate two unknowns, you need to have at least two equations. If all your data are taken at a "stable test" at a single speed or power, you'll only have one equation so the system is undetermined. What's also true is that if the data vary but only by a little bit, you you can solve for estimates of CdA and Crr but the data are *nearly* collinear so although you were able to do the estimation, they're estimated poorly.

So, if you're trying to estimate both CdA and Crr from the same data set, you have to have a pretty wide range of speed and power--and it's good to have a lot of equations so you can check the precision of the estimates (there's a bunch of statistical mumbo-jumbo embedded in the last part of that sentence). A secondary issue is that you'd like the speed and power to be pretty accurate and precise, and a third issue is that you don't want there to be wild swings in speed and power because some power meters are a little sensitive and laggy in responding to big changes in power.

All together, if you want to separate CdA and Crr, you need accurate data and a wide range in speed and power.

Andy Shen once suggested a monotonically increasing speed protocol for velodrome testing: start slow and increase speed a little bit each lap. There are other ways to ensure that you get a pretty wide range in speed and power, but this will work. Find the top power you can sustain for a couple of laps, then start at perhaps half of that power, then each lap increase speed smoothly so that after 10 laps or so you're at your max that you can sustain without ruining your position. If you can, do a couple of extra laps slowing down in speed and power. A protocol like this ensures both a wide range in speed and power, and also keeps sudden changes in them relatively small.
Quote Reply
Re: Platypus Thread: Aero Virtual Elevation Testing Protocol [RChung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RChung wrote:
Estimating CdA and Crr from the same data set is possible but it's pretty demanding of good data and good experimental technique. The short answer is it's necessary to change velocity. The fuller answer will require a little dip into statistical estimation. I'll try to keep it short and understandable.

In order to estimate two unknowns, you need to have at least two equations. If all your data are taken at a "stable test" at a single speed or power, you'll only have one equation so the system is undetermined. What's also true is that if the data vary but only by a little bit, you you can solve for estimates of CdA and Crr but the data are *nearly* collinear so although you were able to do the estimation, they're estimated poorly.

So, if you're trying to estimate both CdA and Crr from the same data set, you have to have a pretty wide range of speed and power--and it's good to have a lot of equations so you can check the precision of the estimates (there's a bunch of statistical mumbo-jumbo embedded in the last part of that sentence). A secondary issue is that you'd like the speed and power to be pretty accurate and precise, and a third issue is that you don't want there to be wild swings in speed and power because some power meters are a little sensitive and laggy in responding to big changes in power.

All together, if you want to separate CdA and Crr, you need accurate data and a wide range in speed and power.

Andy Shen once suggested a monotonically increasing speed protocol for velodrome testing: start slow and increase speed a little bit each lap. There are other ways to ensure that you get a pretty wide range in speed and power, but this will work. Find the top power you can sustain for a couple of laps, then start at perhaps half of that power, then each lap increase speed smoothly so that after 10 laps or so you're at your max that you can sustain without ruining your position. If you can, do a couple of extra laps slowing down in speed and power. A protocol like this ensures both a wide range in speed and power, and also keeps sudden changes in them relatively small.

In theory yes, under the assumption that both CdA and Crr are not dependent on any other variable and especially not dependent on speed.

But:

Both assumptions are questionable.

The normal force varies with speed on a track due to the centrifugal force in the turns

It is difficult to get a wide range in speed on a track without altering the position. One needs a minimum speed (> ~25 km/h) in the turns in order to stay on the track. To go over 50 km/h for some time is not given to everyone.

Overall one has to be very lucky to get such good data to separate CdA and Crr. I never had this luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BergHugi wrote:
In theory yes, under the assumption that both CdA and Crr are not dependent on any other variable and especially not dependent on speed.

But:

Both assumptions are questionable.

The normal force varies with speed on a track due to the centrifugal force in the turns

It is difficult to get a wide range in speed on a track without altering the position. One needs a minimum speed (> ~25 km/h) in the turns in order to stay on the track. To go over 50 km/h for some time is not given to everyone.

Overall one has to be very lucky to get such good data to separate CdA and Crr. I never had this luck.

The normal force varies within the lap so I calculate the average Crr over a lap, and I also calculate CdA and Crr over lap-length intervals. Since in this particular protocol you're varying speed in a monotonic fashion, it's easy to see if the estimates are speed-dependent.

But, I agree, estimating both from CdA and Crr from a single run is more demanding than assuming one value and turning the problem into a single parameter estimation problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RChung wrote:
cyclistgo wrote:

Thanks RChung. Great explanation.

My doubt about this is if Cda is velocity dependent, and if we are doing many test at different velocities for estimate one value of Cda and one for Crr, could be that only Crr value is correct? Or neither?

I understand that we need 1 Crr but many Cda´s for each velocity.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cyclistgo wrote:
My doubt about this is if Cda is velocity dependent, and if we are doing many test at different velocities for estimate one value of Cda and one for Crr, could be that only Crr value is correct? Or neither?

I understand that we need 1 Crr but many Cda´s for each velocity.

So, the important question for a cyclist isn't "are CdA and Crr speed-dependent?" The important question is "how speed-dependent are they over the range of speeds we experience as cyclists?" This has to do, in part, with the Reynolds number and how quickly it changes with speed. Over *most* of the ranges of speed we can go (that is, up to close to 50 km/h) the Reynolds number isn't *quite* constant but it changes very slowly. This may be different at much faster speeds, but it turns out that we ride at pretty low speeds. This is why we can test in a wind tunnel at an air speed of 50 km/h and use those measurements to predict CdA and thus drag at 40 km/h (or 35, or 30); and why our predictions from wind tunnels (and velodrome tests) get borne out at other speeds.

And, in a protocol like the one above we can actually observe how much speed-dependence there is in CdA and Crr.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BergHugi wrote:
It is often stated, that because power to overcome aero drag scales with the cube of speed and power to overcome rolling resistance scales linearly with speed it is possible to separate Cda and Crr. I was never successful to separate them with actual power data from an aero test on an indoor track.

Based on outdoor testing I'm pretty sure Crr increases with speed, making the relationship with power non-linear. At least that is the only way I could get curves to match.

There is also a more modest *reduction* of CdA with speed for most people.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cda is dependent for velocity only for Reynolds number?

I´m trying to get most accuracy data for both, Crr and Cda in velodrome protocolo.

For regression method if Cda is not accuracy (for Reynolds number), can report Crr not accuracy, is this correct? Because one variable depend on the other.
Quote Reply
Re: Platypus Thread: Aero Virtual Elevation Testing Protocol [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Based on outdoor testing I'm pretty sure Crr increases with speed, making the relationship with power non-linear. At least that is the only way I could get curves to match.

If this were true, how would you explain not seeing it on indoor roller tests ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cyclistgo wrote:
Cda is dependent for velocity only for Reynolds number?
Um, maybe I made things more complicated than I should have. The essential piece is: over the speeds at which we usually ride, CdA is not dependent on speed. If it were, we wouldn't be able to predict pwer for speed based on wind tunnel tests that are done at a single speed.

Quote:
For regression method if Cda is not accuracy (for Reynolds number), can report Crr not accuracy, is this correct? Because one variable depend on the other.
In simple regression (and sometimes the CdA/Crr estimation problem can be set up as a simple regression problem) you're trying to find a line with a slope and an intercept. In the usual estimation problem, the slope is related to CdA and the intercept is related to Crr. If a data point is off, it will (usually) affect both the estimated slope and the estimated intercept -- so it will affect both CdA and Crr. Alternatively, if you think about fitting a regression line through a bunch of points, if the estimated intercept is too high, then the slope will be too shallow; and vice versa.
Quote Reply
Re: Platypus Thread: Aero Virtual Elevation Testing Protocol [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
rruff wrote:

I do though not as much as for the outdoor tests, where there is an increase of ~50% between 10km/hr and 40km/hr.

It's important to remember that wee rollers are in imperfect representation of riding on even a perfectly smooth track. The same place where I got the roller scaling equations (Bicycling Science) also has a section on Crr testing that shows a dependence on V.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RChung wrote:
The essential piece is: over the speeds at which we usually ride, CdA is not dependent on speed. If it were, we wouldn't be able to predict pwer for speed based on wind tunnel tests that are done at a single speed.

When Dan Bigham did skinsuit tests in the velodrome he'd typically test at a range of speeds and showed CdA dropping with speed (typically, not always). https://www.cyclingweekly.com/...s-for-cycling-360975

If Crr increases with speed (as I believe it does) then the reduction in CdA with speed would be even higher than shown here:

Last edited by: rruff: Jun 4, 20 12:22
Quote Reply
Re: Platypus Thread: Aero Virtual Elevation Testing Protocol [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
rruff wrote:

Did not do many tests with my test rig yet, but I saw a slight increase of Crr for a Schwalbe pro one TT from 0.0016 to 0.0018 increasing speed of the wooden drum (d = 90cm) from 20 km/h to 60 km/h

Loooking at tests of the recumbent community, they often observe an increase of Crr with speed
Quote Reply
Re: Platypus Thread: Aero Virtual Elevation Testing Protocol [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
When Dan Bigham did skinsuit tests in the velodrome he'd typically test at a range of speeds and showed CdA dropping with speed (typically, not always). https://www.cyclingweekly.com/...s-for-cycling-360975
I was quite interested in those results when they were first published and I asked Wattshop if they would be willing to share the raw data. I never heard back from them. I guess they figured I wouldn't know how to analyze the data.
Quote Reply

Prev Next