Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trainer road.com [Chri55] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chri55 wrote:
Is there a difference in how the Kicker is controlled by the power meter if it is set to different power smoothing settings. Or is that just for display purposes.
The last ride I did was Warlow on the Kickr on the new beta with no power smoothing. Power was all over the place. AP was 10 watts over on some of the Vo2max intervals with power spikes 50 watts over. That workout is tough enough without having to deal with all of that.

It's only for display settings. We still record the raw data coming out of the kickr. It gets sampled every second and gets put into the workout file.

Are you talking about PowerMatch? That's not in the beta yet, so if you paired both a PM and Kickr we'd be reading directly from your PM. That can read differently from your Kickr and have much more erratic power readings.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Nate Pearson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK then the Kickr was controlling the workout and the PM was showing power readings, Right?
Does the Kickr learn from the PM or did I just stumble upon a how to get my Kickr more accurate. For most of the workout and the previous one (Pettit) the Kickr and Pm have been right on for power when I used the Beta (garmin display matched).

I have adjusted the tension on the belt and have done the last few spindowns around 20 min into a workout. Power has been a lot more accurate to within a few watts when I have not paired the power meter with TR but had power on my Garmin for verification. I sometimes use the iphone app when the laptop isnt handy. I had previously been 15 watts off in the past but since the adjustment and consistent spindown protocol, accuracy of the Kickr has been very good.

A false humanity is used to impose its opposite, by people whose cruelty is equalled only by their arrogance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Nate, a couple of questions. At least I think it'll be a couple ;)

I have a Tacx Vortex Smart and also a Powertap G3 hub. This morning I used TR with it for the first time in a few months (its coming into summer down here), and I created a workout in the Workout Creator tool last night and used that workout for my ride this morning.

For some reason, the Vortex wasn't being controlled by TR - I used the iPad app and a Wahoo Ant+ dongle. I even went so far as to try to change some of the devices which were paired - interestingly the Powertap seemed to be paired twice, once as a powermeter wheel, then once as a power meter and cadence sensor. I also have a Giant RideSense cadence sensor as well.

So my question is this - is there a special trick to get TR to control the Vortex, and do you think its worth not using both the Powertap and Vortex together?

Cheers, Rob

I ride:
Cervelo - P-Series/R3
GT - Sensor Carbon Expert

Supporters - Flo Cycling, Mount Bikes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chri55 wrote:
OK then the Kickr was controlling the workout and the PM was showing power readings, Right?
Does the Kickr learn from the PM or did I just stumble upon a how to get my Kickr more accurate. For most of the workout and the previous one (Pettit) the Kickr and Pm have been right on for power when I used the Beta (garmin display matched).

I have adjusted the tension on the belt and have done the last few spindowns around 20 min into a workout. Power has been a lot more accurate to within a few watts when I have not paired the power meter with TR but had power on my Garmin for verification. I sometimes use the iphone app when the laptop isnt handy. I had previously been 15 watts off in the past but since the adjustment and consistent spindown protocol, accuracy of the Kickr has been very good.

Yes, you're right that the PM was showing power and the Kickr was controlling the workout.

The Kickr will learn from the PM if you use our "PowerMatch" feature. That feature is NOT in the beta yet, although I think it will be out sometime next week.

Have youcalibrated your PM recently? Your PM could have drifted.

Long story short, you'll want the PowerMatch feature in the beta once it launches. That will solve your issues.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Nate. PM is a Power2max and it only zeroes itself when you coast. No other calibration, however I have ridden it several times with a powertap wheel for comparison and its always within a few watts of the pt.
I think that doing proper warmup before spindown is crucial for the Kickr. I think I'll leave it as it is and as long as it matches my pm.

A false humanity is used to impose its opposite, by people whose cruelty is equalled only by their arrogance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi folks,

Huge TrainerRoad/Kickr fan here. I got my friend to buy both TrainerRoad and Kickr, and he's having some problems with ERG mode that I haven't encountered yet, so I'm turning to you to see if anyone has seen such issues and if there is a remedy. The following workout shows how power does not track target power in Endurance 2 and Endurance 3 segments. Any ideas?

https://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/2686024
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [moneyball] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey moneyball,

Thanks for letting us know! We've reached out to your friend through our support system. We'll troubleshoot with him from there. :-)

Customer Support Director at TrainerRoad - Cycling's Most Effective Training Tool
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Alex Kizis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you! Great support!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate:

Not sure if this a TR question or a Wahoo question. I have a new InRide 2.0 sensor that was paired and working for several rides with the Beta TR in the past few weeks. Got on today, with my last ride being about 4 days ago, and the InRide was not even an available device. I did not notice at first, just started my workout and went to calibrate prior to the first work piece. That's when I noticed that the InRide was not in use and the power was coming from Virtual Power. Obviously, 10 minutes or so into the ride, all devices should be awake and sending, and there had been no operational problems in the past when using this device.

Tried using the non-beta TR version as well with no luck. The InRide was still not visible or available.

Got any ideas or heard of any problems with the TR link to InRide 2.0? I will be pinging Wahoo as well, but I was in the forum and saw this thread, so I am posting here first.

Thanks

ars

Alan Stewart
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [WIAlan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WIAlan wrote:
Nate:

Not sure if this a TR question or a Wahoo question. I have a new InRide 2.0 sensor that was paired and working for several rides with the Beta TR in the past few weeks. Got on today, with my last ride being about 4 days ago, and the InRide was not even an available device. I did not notice at first, just started my workout and went to calibrate prior to the first work piece. That's when I noticed that the InRide was not in use and the power was coming from Virtual Power. Obviously, 10 minutes or so into the ride, all devices should be awake and sending, and there had been no operational problems in the past when using this device.

Tried using the non-beta TR version as well with no luck. The InRide was still not visible or available.

Got any ideas or heard of any problems with the TR link to InRide 2.0? I will be pinging Wahoo as well, but I was in the forum and saw this thread, so I am posting here first.

Thanks

ars

Hmm. I think you mean Kinetic and not Wahoo.

In the beta, were you able to pair other BT sensors? Maybe try taking out your BT dongle and plugging it back in, see if that helps. I've seen a few errors come in where we can't connect to the BT dongle. If this happened to you, the inRide 2.0 wouldn't show up. If your speed sensor was ANT+ and you had an ANT stick plugged in that WOULD work.

That's my thinking. If that doesn't do it let me know and we'll check out your logs.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're right about Kurt and not Wahoo. I was just reading in this thread about problems with the Kickr and had Wahoo on my mind.

I am using an Ant+ HR strap and Garmin speed/cadence sensor so the InRide is the sole BT device. I will try the dongle and see if that is the problem.

Thanks

ars

Alan Stewart
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [caferacer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any update? Don't want to start new training till this is out?
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Triargon1111] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It might be today.

Last night the engineer loading the plans just had the Ironman plans to finish, he already went through the other sprint/oly/half.

I didn't realize how all out Chad went. There are three plans per level. We ended up with 104 pages of instructions in our internal document.

So base plans:
Sprint - Low/Mid/High Volume
Oly - Low/Mid/High Volume
Half - Low/Mid/High Volume
Full - Low/Mid/High Volume

Those all have their own swim and run workouts along with the TrainerRoad workouts.

And those are just the base plans! He's working on build now.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Help please!

I'm new to TR. I used it for the first time 2 days ago with my Kickr. I created a custom intervals workout. I use TR on my macbook air to control my Kickr. I have an accuracy question. I had intervals of 190-200sh watts. I was damned hard!! My Garmin 910t paired to my Vector S was showing 330-340w while my TR was constantly showing 190w. I can live with a 10-15% difference but 75% is more disturbing.

Any clues on how to correct it? I did a few spindowns while training to try to fix it. nothing worked

Thank you
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [jobrunelle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yikes, sorry about that. That's definitely quite a difference. I had our support crew check out your last workout and the Kickr doesn't seem to be showing any signs malfunction, which leads me to believe it could potentially be something with the Vectors. If you have a Garmin ANT USB, I'd recommend pairing them with TR and doing a zero offset and then trying another workout and seeing if they match the Kickr a little better.

If things are still off, shoot us an email to support@trainerroad.com and we can investigate a bit further.

Professional Mountain Biker and Community Manager at TrainerRoad - Cycling's Most Effective Training Tool
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hi nate

i just signed up for trainerroad and think its great. i recently purchased the kickr and was doing 20 and 8 min FTP test. i'm using my laptop with Garmin dongle

during both test, the watts would drop briefly to zero and then come back up after a couple of seconds although sometimes it would be blank 5-10 seconds

questions

1. why are the watts dropping to zero? is it because the garmin dongle? i've had tons of problems with them, in fact i'm on my third dongle in two years. i leave it plugged into my laptop all the time (maybe that's the problem and they keep getting bashed)
2. with the watts dropping to zero, does that effect my overall FTP? ie its lower than it should be?
3. if i use a different dongle, will TR still pick up my kickr and Garmin HR?

thanks
Last edited by: ptakeda: Dec 11, 15 2:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate Pearson wrote:
It might be today.

Last night the engineer loading the plans just had the Ironman plans to finish, he already went through the other sprint/oly/half.

I didn't realize how all out Chad went. There are three plans per level. We ended up with 104 pages of instructions in our internal document.

So base plans:
Sprint - Low/Mid/High Volume
Oly - Low/Mid/High Volume
Half - Low/Mid/High Volume
Full - Low/Mid/High Volume

Those all have their own swim and run workouts along with the TrainerRoad workouts.

And those are just the base plans! He's working on build now.

Hi Nate - the plans look great! Didn't expect this much detail either. What do you recommend for those of us who are already in the middle of the Base training? Should I calculate which week I should be in and just take it from there?
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [jaskew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Plans look great, thanks TR!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's probably the best call if it works with your event timing. Either base approach will work though, so if you just want to stay the course and then pluck out the swim/run workouts, that's a perfectly good option.

And then the corresponding Tri Build plans (Sprint: 4-week, Olympic: 6-week, Half-Distance: 8-week, Full-Distance: 8-week) will surface soon, but if there's any delay in their release that could create a small hitch remedied by using the Sustained Power Build in the interim and then cutting over upon their release. I'm working hard to get those out promptly though, so here's hoping we'll avoid any issues like that. ;-)

Head Coach at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [chadtimmerman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chadtimmerman wrote:
That's probably the best call if it works with your event timing. Either base approach will work though, so if you just want to stay the course and then pluck out the swim/run workouts, that's a perfectly good option.

And then the corresponding Tri Build plans (Sprint: 4-week, Olympic: 6-week, Half-Distance: 8-week, Full-Distance: 8-week) will surface soon, but if there's any delay in their release that could create a small hitch remedied by using the Sustained Power Build in the interim and then cutting over upon their release. I'm working hard to get those out promptly though, so here's hoping we'll avoid any issues like that. ;-)

Thanks, Chad. I think I'll stick with the SSB I'm working through right now, and will pick up swim and run workouts as I go. I'm mostly focused on the bike right now anyway, and I'm cool doing more bike than swim and run for now till the base period is over.

For the biking section in the new tri plans - it looks like the workouts take more SSB approach rather than traditional base - is that right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's exactly right. We're more about making every minute of your training time matter, and traditional base is more time-intensive than most athletes can accommodate.

Head Coach at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate, my girlfriend would like to sign up for TR. Can we run two profiles off the same laptop?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chad -- would you still recommend high volume traditional base for long course triathletes if time was not a factor? I noticed even the high volume versions of the base plans were SSB leaning.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [TriNewbieZA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes :). You can even run at the same time if you use the companion app. You could also use the beta and the current app at the same time.

More info about the companion here: http://support.trainerroad.com/...ompanion-Application

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome job Chad, love the new plans. Quick question, In the swim workouts you prescribe drills like K drills, F&T drills etc.. Is there a place where these drills are described? I looked around for a description of the swim drills but didn't see anything.
Thanks
Quote Reply

Prev Next