Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Terry Laughlin from Total Immersion in a fascinating debate on BT [hotman637] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hotman637 wrote:
No idea who Speedracer1 is.I went for a bike ride using aerobars over a route that I had mostly used drop bars prevously.By my watch I might have been a little faster(don't look at times much as I say).What I REALLY NOTICED was it was way easier,more relaxed,more fun,lower heart rate,lower RPM,used a higher gear,JUST LIKE turnspearglide!Try them both and see if it works for you.

Sounds like a very scientific test with very valid conclusions. Allow me to add a peer reviewed stamp of approval... Your dedication will change the sport as we know it...
Quote Reply
Re: Terry Laughlin from Total Immersion in a fascinating debate on BT [R10C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
R10C wrote:
This thread will never ever shine a candle on the Hottie Thread, nor the Starbucks thread, nor How to Wipe your ass.

Well....one can always strive for immortal thread status.

Hotman if you can keep the hits coming and reach Epic Fail Consensus Status we will take up a collection and buy you a lifetime subscription to Dildo Castle.
Quote Reply
Re: Terry Laughlin from Total Immersion in a fascinating debate on BT [tigerpaws] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe he can post that we need to Hurry The Fail Up.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Terry Laughlin from Total Immersion in a fascinating debate on BT [R10C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i just wana know who the swingers are. They sound like cool folks.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Terry Laughlin from Total Immersion in a fascinating debate on BT [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
YES,the term"swingers"is a great name very sexy,way better then Total Immersion or"turnspearglide".Any ideas as to what we can call TI?
Quote Reply
Re: Terry Laughlin from Total Immersion in a fascinating debate on BT [hotman637] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hotman637 wrote:
No idea who Speedracer1 is.I went for a bike ride using aerobars over a route that I had mostly used drop bars prevously.By my watch I might have been a little faster(don't look at times much as I say).What I REALLY NOTICED was it was way easier,more relaxed,more fun,lower heart rate,lower RPM,used a higher gear,JUST LIKE turnspearglide!Try them both and see if it works for you.

You must not have been riding at a very high velocity.
Quote Reply
Re: Terry Laughlin from Total Immersion in a fascinating debate on BT [fertilizer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fertilizer wrote:
TurnSpearGlide is the swimming technique of ManBearPig.

J

TI must be the best then, since ManBearPig would never lie. After all he is "half man, half bear, and half pig", which makes perfect sense to me...:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Terry Laughlin from Total Immersion in a fascinating debate on BT [FLA Jill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FLA Jill wrote:
Though I do think we're into How Do I Make Flat Coke? territory.

THAT one must have been real rocket science territory!!! Can't believe anyone would even ask such a question..:) BTW, you never did answer my question about where you got that list of "noteworthy" women's 100m relay splits...???

Quote Reply
Re: Terry Laughlin from Total Immersion in a fascinating debate on BT [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, I didn't see your other post. I pulled the splits from the last couple of World Championships, Pan Pacs, and Euros and such at omegatiming.com. Omega's been posting online results since about 2000, and while they don't have a ton of meets up, they're the timekeeper of record for almost all of the important meets where you'd put together a fast relay, save for Chinese nationals and such.

http://www.omegatiming.com/...ives/2012/index.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an idea,we can call"turnspearglide"the"Thrusters",haha! So it is the"Thrusters"vs.the"Swingers".So do you want to"Thrust"or"Swing"?? LOL.
Quote Reply
Re: Terry Laughlin from Total Immersion in a fascinating debate on BT [FLA Jill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FLA Jill wrote:
Sorry, I didn't see your other post. I pulled the splits from the last couple of World Championships, Pan Pacs, and Euros and such at omegatiming.com. Omega's been posting online results since about 2000, and while they don't have a ton of meets up, they're the timekeeper of record for almost all of the important meets where you'd put together a fast relay, save for Chinese nationals and such.

http://www.omegatiming.com/...ives/2012/index.html

Wow, haven't heard of this site for meet results per se, thanks for the info!!! Swimming...really the best sport!!!

Quote Reply
Re: Terry Laughlin from Total Immersion in a fascinating debate on BT [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
That is a true statement, but he also APPEARS to me to be all about swimming effortlessly as well. If you want to swim fast, then the effort has to be there. if you want to maintain a certain stroke length and increase the stroke rate, then you have to put more muscle into it.

He's not, but that's how it comes off. He's very much into swimming efficiently and not wasting energy. He says you shouldn't go to the pool to swim hard. You should try to swim fast and the result will probably be that the workout will be hard, but swimming hard shouldn't be the intention. It's a result of the effort required to maintain your goal SPL and SR. He's really into the Finis Tempo Trainer and working on gradually increasing your stroke rate while maintaining your strokes per length.

I'm working with a swim coach right now who's trying to get me to cut out a few strokes per length and swim more efficiently. He had me do a test that illustrated this point. My goal was to swim 50 yards aiming for 14 strokes per length. I couldn't do it, but I did manage 15. I swam that 50 in 35 seconds and the effort level was moderate. Then he had me swim an all out 50. Everything I have. I swam that one in 32 seconds. My form fell apart and all I was doing was swimming hard. The first 50 was at a much lower effort level, but if I did several of them just like that I would start getting tired and the workout would be hard but it would be a result of swimming fast (for me) and not because I simply went to the pool to swim hard.

I think TI could produce fast swimmers, but everyone into TI focuses on effortless swimming and therefore they swim slow. I started with TI when I got into triathlons because I couldn't swim two lengths of the pool without resting. It taught me the basics. Then I moved on and started gaining speed. I don't know what would have happened had I stuck with it. Like I said, I think it has the potential to produce fast swimmers but I never read about people talking about how fast they got using TI and until I do I'll continue to tell people TI is a great place to start and learn the basics and then you should move on and adopt a more traditional approach. But I do think TI is misunderstood by a lot of people. It's not really about effortless swimming. It's about not wasting energy. Big difference.
Quote Reply
Re: Terry Laughlin from Total Immersion in a fascinating debate on BT [Supersquid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He says you shouldn't go to the pool to swim hard. You should try to swim fast

That describes EVERY coaches philosophy, which is why from a really young age everyone is drilled into looking at the pace clock after every single repeat. The focus is on making the repeat, but in more conventional approaches SPL is a means to get there. It seems to me that TI excessively emphasises SPL as a goal rather than a means. Maybe I'm mistaken in that, but none of the instructional videos that I've seen really show anyone swimming fast.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
i just wana know who the swingers are. They sound like cool folks.

I would ask Mjuric...I think that he may have been in the thick of things (or was she just big boned?)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If people are not going fast doing TI they are not"thrusting"HARD ENOUGH.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dont you sophomoric jags get ME in trouble for your turning this thread into some Calligula Love Fest orgy thing....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hotman637 wrote:
If people are not going fast doing TI they are not"thrusting"HARD ENOUGH.

Seriously, folks? This is just too easy...

total immersion, not thrusting hard enough?

Hard = more effort = more energy = less efficient, no?

Or is there a "tipping point", so to speak?
Quote Reply
Re: Terry Laughlin from Total Immersion in a fascinating debate on BT [Cafe Lactate] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, you can tell most often (presuming that you are not at VO2 max or AT) when you are reaching the "tipping point" of effectiveness. You will notice some more rhythmic breathing and there will just sort of seem to be a more natural flow when all of the aspects of your stroke come together.

Quote Reply
Re: Terry Laughlin from Total Immersion in a fascinating debate on BT [Cafe Lactate] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To do TI FAST,the idea is to TURN your shoulders close to 90 degrees,THRUST your arm straight forward FORCEFULLY then"GLIDE",all in one smooth motion.The HARD THRUST does use effort just like the"SWING",but OVERALL Total Immersion is more effecient for a few reasons.#1The"THRUST"uses every muscle in the body,the"swing"uses mostly the arms.#2Because you are TURNING your shoulders your resistance though the water is WAY less so every time you"THRUST" you go further then when you"swing".Going further per"thrust"is what I call the"GLIDE".#3 The result of the"turnthrustglide" is you do less strokes in a given distance.I have observed when people are going slow with TI they TURN their shoulders ok but they do not"THRUST" hard enough so they have no"glide". SO back to my statement"If you are going slow with TI,turn more,THRUST HARDER,then glide easy."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What the heck are you talking about?

Quote Reply
Re: Terry Laughlin from Total Immersion in a fascinating debate on BT [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This always comes up every now and then.. lol.. I've been out of the sport for a couple of years , and when I raced, I specialized in sprints, and usualy got out at the front, with the lead pack.
I know Terry Laughlin , have worked out next to him., and he is not fast. He doesn't race tri's, and doesn't walk the walk. At best TI is a good primer for in- experienced swimmers. Once you get the basic mechanics down , one needs to swim hard intervals to compete in races. Every TI student I have seen come down the pike is slow and frustrated. The ones that went to Terry or TI who are swimming fast have abondoned it's training philosophy, and are probably just singing the praises just to be pc or something?? Who knows.. I just know that betond the basic mechanics , TI is a waste of time..
You want to swim fast .. Swim hard , swim with good techinique , have a good aerobic base , and swim often!
Quote Reply
Re: Terry Laughlin from Total Immersion in a fascinating debate on BT [guiroplaya] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
guiroplaya wrote:
I know Terry Laughlin , have worked out next to him., and he is not fast. He doesn't race tri's, and doesn't walk the walk.

Huh....sounds like a coach....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope , a former masters coach.. I have no involvement in the sport whatsoever.. I have babies now, and cheer on my buds. My point is "there's nothing in it for me"..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And what if I were a coach ? So what. One could get more out of their local H.S swim coach then they could TI. I would bet that the H.S swim coach would come the same conclusion that I and every other swim coach would come too??? That beyond some of the basic mechanics , that Terry Laughlin btw , did not invent.. Swimming fast is reliant on a good base followed by a period of hard intervals being supported with good technique .. And , that swimming with more frequency produces optimum results i.e 2x per day some days ..

This is what has worked for me and my former students.
Last edited by: guiroplaya: May 28, 12 10:50
Quote Reply
Re: Terry Laughlin from Total Immersion in a fascinating debate on BT [guiroplaya] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No - HE sounds like a coach. You think most NFL coaches can practice what they preach?

Quote Reply

Prev Next