Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [bofferman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
phenomenal watts/mph man, mine are normally pretty good but you are blowing me out of the water here.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Am I? I honestly have no clue what I'm doing when it comes to being aero / watts. I've had the power meter for a few months now and am getting used to it. I also had a really sore back getting off the bike so maybe too extreme position or not enough core work.

Thanks though mate :D

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [tritygr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We are lucky to have Scott Flathouse here at a lot of our races in texas, his shots are pretty amazing. Little better than what the standard race photo are.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [onceatriathlet3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
onceatriathlet3 wrote:
170W and a 22+ average is crazy, even with ideal conditions...

Here's mine

Austin 70.3 (not ideal conditions; cross winds, bad roads, technical, and got directed off course for 2 miles!)
Here's my Garmin results

Average watts: 207NP, 195AP, VI: 1.06, IF: .829
Average speed: 21.4, 2:42:16 (based off 57.9mi)
Distance: 57.9
Rider Height and Weight: 5'9, 145lbs
Bike and equipment: BMC TM01 M-S, Super 9 and 404FC, Pro Missile Evo TT, 1 BTA, 1 rear bottle (with flat kit), No frame cages, 25mm Zipp Tangente Speed tires, 1 latex in rear, 1 butyl in front, S-Works TT helmet, LG Course M-2 suit

I don't have a good picture, but I feel that I'm fairly aero. Here in Austin, I was out of aero a bit dodging pot holes, weaving through cracked roads, lots of turning, hills, etc.

To compare from last year...off garmin

All equipment and attributes the same, except I switched from the Specialized S-Works TT aero helmet to a Giro AeroHead.

Average watts: 205AP, 216NP,
Average speed: 22.2, 2:32:53 (based off 56.5) ~ had a 30 second chain drop malfunction

I felt the winds were actually less beneficial this year.
I also rode too hard for the first hour, my normalized was 225. I was actually feeling pretty good and 8weeks ago I had done 15' at 323, which would put 225 very reasonable for a 70.3, but I had done little riding these past 8 weeks leading up the ride so I took a chance and stuck it out, but started feeling it 30mi in and had to back off for self preservation on the run.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [bofferman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very solid efficiency! Austin is a tough and technical course.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [onceatriathlet3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) 207avg, 209 np
2) 36.6 km/h (22.7 mph avg)
3) 89.4 km (55.5 miles @ Challenge Shepparton 70.3)
4) 71 kg (156 pounds)
5) Boardman Air TT 9.2, Hed Stinger 60 with wheel cover rear, vittoria evo CXII 23mm front/25mm rear, standard bottle BTA, bottle zip tied behind seat, Giro AA2, Scody Air skinsuit
6) NW Wind @ 15mph with gusts to 30mph meant a constant cross wind all day. Flat course.

I'd appreciate some feedback on position from the event pics below, both in terms of potential aero gains and also perhaps where I might be able to gain some comfort? Don't know if I could hold that position for a full IM!

In terms of power to speed, I'm not sure how accurate my Garmin pedals are. I've seen a number of files from the day with about a similar bike split time and they are all approx 20-25w higher than my average power?

Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [rock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Ironman Florida - 2016

1) Average watts - 144
2) Average speed in MPH - 21.1 (including one pee stop about miles 85)
3) Distance - 112 miles
4) Rider weight - 147 lbs
5) Describe bike and wheels - 2010 Cervelo P3. Reynolds Element disc and 72 aero front
6) First race with the Ice Friction chain. Very comfortable. Felt great on the run till a blood sugar crash.

Race day

Position - not from race but from a few months earlier (no adjustments)

Last edited by: LSUfan4444: Nov 16, 16 19:14
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [LSUfan4444] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also IMFL 2016

1) Avg 217w, NP 227w
2) 21.6mph (5:11 split)
3) 112 miles
4) 160lb
5) Felt B16, HED Jet 6+ front/rear, Michelin Power Endurance w. Latex
6) 10mph winds
7) Castelli aero race 5.1 jersey, air attack helmet, garmin vector 2S (L/R imbalance?), 140avg HR

Afraid to post a picture - scheduling a retul for tomorrow & reserving a disc for my next race
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [ohhim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You sure those garmins are calibrated? Seems like a lot of watts to get you that time at your weight. I'm 185 and averaged that speed on vineman on 10 less watts.

Either that or you're aerodynamically challenged?
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Furious D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Furious D wrote:
You sure those garmins are calibrated? Seems like a lot of watts to get you that time at your weight. I'm 185 and averaged that speed on vineman on 10 less watts.

Either that or you're aerodynamically challenged?

wasn't IMFL pretty windy?

i went almost 1mph slower at IMNC, on more watts, than at the other three 70.3s I raced this year.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He said 10mph, which is similar to vineman and Louisville (5-10). I don't know FL course but I'd have to think if you get a head wind you get the tailwind too. Still seems like a lot of watts for his weight with 10mph winds, no?
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Furious D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A little late

IM North Carolina (56 mile bike)

1. 222 AP/227 NP
2. 22.5 avg speed
3. 55.9 miles
4. 161 lbs
5. P5-6 w/ HED Jet 6 front-HED Disc, Conti GP4000SII w/ Vittoria Latex tubes, Roka Tri suit w/ LG-P09 helmet
6. Strong head wind for the first 41 miles. Tailwind for the last 14 or so miles.
Last edited by: ffmedic84: Nov 17, 16 14:04
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [LSUfan4444] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironman Florida - 2016 also (W45-49)

1) Average watts - 162 (NP 163, IF 0.68)
2) Average speed in MPH - 21.2 (5:18 bike split)
3) Distance - 111.85 miles
4) Rider weight - 152 lbs
5) Describe bike and wheels - 2016 Trek Project One Speed Concept, Zipp NSW 808s with Conti GP4000s (as advised by ST community)
6) Ice Friction chain, oversized pulley, first time using skin suit with castelli shoe covers
Last edited by: breakaway_betty: Nov 17, 16 11:05
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [rock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FWIW:
You weigh about the same as I do, I am 155lbs race weight. I did a very flat half in late September and here is my ride (http://tpks.ws/LlV0q). Similar numbers though. Your position actually looks tighter than mine too.

1) 184 avg, 189 np (2.49w/kg)
2) 35.6km/h
3) 89.0km
4) 155lbs
5) SHIV, Spec. aero helmet, Spec. tri suit, Giro Tri Shoes. Chinese Zipp 808s

Tried to upload photo but have no idea how to get picture that small lol.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [kevpog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironman Florida 2016

1) 209W avg, 214W NP
2) 22.67 mph (4:56 split)
3) 112 miles
4) 187 lbs
5) Felt DA3, Zipp 808 (Wheelbuilder rear wheel cover), Giro Aerohead helmet, Castelli Sanremo/T1 Stealth trisuit/jersey, Continental GP4000SII, Vittoria latex tubes

Last edited by: tri-avesta: Nov 17, 16 11:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Garmin is correct, position sucked... just did a retul today and seeing much better numbers (dropped stem, seat forward, etc..) for watts pushed. Avert your eyes if you are a purist.

Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [ohhim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironman Florida - 2016

1) Average watts - 191 (NP 196)
2) Average speed in MPH - 22.8 (4:54 bike split)
3) Distance - 112 miles
4) Rider weight - 154 lbs
5) Describe bike and wheels - 2016 Felt IA 3, HED Jet Disc+ and HED Jet 9+ (both wrapped in Conti 4000 with latex), LG Course sleeved suit, Giro Aerohead helmet

Last edited by: DashLash: Nov 17, 16 13:12
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [tri-avesta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Miamiman half /USAT LC nationals

1. 150 AP, 156 NP
2. 22.0 MPH
3. 54 miles, pancake flat
4. 161 pounds, 63 years old
5. Trek Gen 1 Speed Concept 7.2, Zipp 404 FC front, Zipp 808 FC rear w/ Catalyst wheel cover, Conti Force front, Vittoria Corsa Speed G TLR rear, Vittoria latex tubes, Quarq Riken, Zipp Vuka Aero bar w/ -30 degree stem to get low, LG P-09 helmet, LG Course M-2 skinsuit.

Definitely my best ever power/speed ratio, but then again haven't ever ridden anything this flat before, also more crowded course than usual and that gives a bit of a boost. Could have gotten a bit more speed if I wasn't super conservative about the draft zone whenever near anyone, pretty obsessive about staying legal. Not too breezy but a bit of a headwind towards the end. Last VE testing indicated a CdA of .228 which I'm told isn't that great by the TTers but must be better than most triathletes from what I can see. Didn't have a good run despite an extremely conservative IF of .690 but that was for reasons unrelated to my ride (not well heat acclimatized coming from New England, a bit under the weather the previous week, and an injury that kept my run miles down). Somehow managed second in my AG, that was a surprise.

ETA: Fixed typo about rear wheel.
Last edited by: tttiltheend: Nov 17, 16 19:06
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gulf Coast Tri 2016
1. AP 234, NP 235
2. Avg speed 24.0mph
3. Distance 55.0
4. Weight 175. (FTP 338, 4.25w/kg) .
5. Cervelo NP3, Tri Rig omega brakes, zip 404 front and rear, 3T breeza, Quarq PM 170mm
Last edited by: cmsamp3: Nov 18, 16 10:30
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IMAZ

Avg Watts 153
NP 160
VI 1.05
HR average 112
miles 112
time 5:38:33
19.6 mph
weight 188
TSS 299

Scott Plasma 20
Chinese 404s
Butyl tubes
Continental GPs 4000s
LG Course aero road helmet
Two round bottles on downtubes and an older style profile drink between bars
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [summitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Turkey triathlon

1) Average watts 244 avg, 252NP
2) Average speed 21.11mph
3) Distance 14.5 Miles
4) Rider weight 162lbs
5) Describe bike and wheels Cervelo P5, stock shimano wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [cmsamp3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you ride HIM at under .70 IF?
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [solitude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had some running injuries through winter so my coach (chris borden) advised that I keep it controlled and save the matches for the run. Plus i was toward the front (5th or 6th OA during the bike and rolling 24mph so i wasn't worried that i was pushing "low watts"). It paid off. Ran 1:36, won AG, 9th OA and went 4:29.

I understand the question though, most ride 75-80% IF for 70.3's.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oil man Triathlon 2016, 70.3 distance

1) AP 208W/ NP 216W
2) 20.3 mph
3) 56 miles
4) 158
5) Quintana Roo Lucero 2016, stock wheels, stock everything
6) Aero position was probably OK, but no aero helmet and my cycling sucks in general. I think I lost a bunch of minutes slowing down too much before every corner.
Quote Reply

Prev Next