Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [C W] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Posting a recent race and a recent Ironman simulation brick workout. First the race - the Summer Open - a sprint race in Longmont Colorado.

1) NP 242, AP 238
2) 25.4 mph (not including the relatively long run from the timing mat to bike mount/dismount line.)
3) 12.8 miles
4) 158 lbs
5) Felt IA1, 2013 Hed Jet 9 wheels with a cover. One BTA bottle.
6) total of 285 feet of "climbing".
7) photo from the race

http://tpks.ws/KifAj

And from my brick workout yesterday - rode the 2 main loops of the Ironman Boulder course, followed by a 5.5 mile run. Rode at 70% FTP.

1) NP 193, AP 190
2) 22.1 mph
3) 82.5 miles
4) 158 lbs
5) Felt IA1, 2013 Hed Jet 9 wheels (no cover), one BTA, bottle behind the seat and a bottle on the seat tube (Unsupported so needed an extra bottle than my IM race setup). Normal road helmet.
6) Had 6 stop signs and had to slow at a few intersections, but for riding on open roads, I did not have to slow very often - 2,959 feet of climbing.
7) position same as above but with the noted equipment changes.

http://tpks.ws/iOknv

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: May 29, 16 9:49
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
on a side note I saved over 50 grams by changing the tail fin on my selector to the low version.

Of course it's individual etc, YMMV. but the helmet is unique in the sense that it is essentially two helmets in one.

Your head position looks reasonable enough that it might be worth try.

Edit also better sight lines for me when turtling.

Just a thought,
Maurice
Last edited by: mauricemaher: May 29, 16 12:17
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been thinking about trying that but I'm not sure if it will lay against my back, or if it does I like having the visor come far down my face... I think it is key to the visor being an aero benefit. But I should try it out. I'm not too concerned about 50g.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) 292w AP, 313NP
2) 46.3kmh
3) 48km w/ cool down lap, was a 60min crit
4) 181lbs
5) supersix hi-mod w/ rail52s
6) fast but incredibly technical crit course. nice headwind on one side. had to ride at the front to hold speed otherwise the accordion was going to hurt. looking at my power #s i really wonder for the guys who were stuck 5-10 back dealing with the braking and surging
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [RONDAL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Cervelo P2Carbon, with 3T aural pro bars and TriRig Omega brake upgrades. 303 Firecrest in Front, 404 Firecrest with disc cover in the back.
I had shoe covers, Specialized aero road helmet and a Castelli tri suit (with sleeves, the good one that costs like $220). GP 4000 25 mm tires with Latex tubes. I think my equipment is pretty decent, I can't blame that.

Avg power 316 Watts, Normalized 318 Watts, for 25.1 mph in a 22.8 mile TT. I weigh 158 pounds. This is beyond pathetic, I had the same watts (according to Strava) as the Cat 1/2 State Champion and I was almost 7 minutes slower. I do not think the Powertap is off, this is comparable to power I do for hill climb of same duration. It was a little windy, but the course is totally flat, pavement is meh, a good bit of chip seal.

What can I do? What helmet should I get, that is the only thing I can think off. I know position is not great, but how can it be that bad?
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's probably your position
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) 237W (Power2Max)
2) 36.6kmph, 22.7mph
3) 91.7km, 57miles (slightly long HIM)
4) 76kg, 168lb
5) Felt B12 2012 Stock wheels & tires. Uvex Edaero helmet
6) Nothing, extremely evenly paced (VI 1.03) and good run afterwards (1h27)
7)
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Harvard IL TT-MATTS Series, 20.3mi ~200' climbing, lollipop course , elev 920'
167lbs
311w avg 312np
29.5 mph
2014 48cm P3, aduro bars, H3 front Jet+ Disk Rear, conti SS 20/23( F/R) , A2 helmet(ie all the stuff that isn't as fast on ST :) did I need pink there?
surprised by speed on that power. makes me want to check the PM(will later)
not motivated for this TT. Only went down to see Cervelo3 and his wife Christina. at mile 8, I wanted to quit, mile 8.7, brief 10sec of SVT(maybe I could sense it coming:) decided to just push it in. I thought it was breezy while warming up, but did not seem so at start. from data, slight headwind on way out(downhill overall and slower)tailwind return(net uphill and faster) Very happy with result of 41:13 as it is a PR by 1:14(2011)
Last edited by: jeffp: Jun 13, 16 7:27
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeffp 2014 48cm P3, [/quote wrote:

Jeff, you ride a 48cm P3? How tall are you?

BoulderCyclingCoach.com
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [moonshine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From Boulder 70.3 yesterday:

1. Nominal Power 208
2. Average Speed: 24.4 mph , time 2:13:13
3. Distance: 54.0 miles
4. Rider weight: 158 lbs
Felt IA1, 2013 Hed Jet 9 wheels with a cover. One BTA bottle, one behind the seat, Giro selector helmet.
6. Lots of passing and spiky power in the first 20 miles. After that, more steady, slightly lower power. A little wind from the southeast, growing stronger during the ride. Got blocked by a recreational rider on the course at one turn - but probably only cost me 10 seconds.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) AP 211 NP 223
2) 25.3 MPH
3) 25m TT
4) 148lbs
5) Felt IA4 48cm, Super 9 rear, 808 NSW front, SS front & rear, Castelli BP, S Works TT, Velotoze.
6) 750ft elevation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From Liberty (in Rockford, MN) long course.

Avg Power: 151 watts (FTP: 199 watts)
Avg Speed: 19.4 mph
56 miles in 2:53:11
5' 6", 131.4 lbs
NP: 158
IF: 0.792
Specialized Tarmac road bike. 2 bottles on frame. Regular wheels with Conti Gatorskins (23 front, 25 rear). Giro road helmet. Cycling jersey and shorts. Shimano SPD mtb pedals and shoes.

Charity is injurious unless it helps the recipient to become independent of it. John D. Rockefeller Sr.
Last edited by: DeVinci13: Jun 12, 16 12:34
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [rockdude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5-9
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Loyalton TT (NorCal/Nevada District Championship) 55+ age group

This is the same course that was used at elite nationals last year, though it has since been surveyed and certified (and hence a smidge shorter than last year)

1) AP 320, NP 321
2) Ave Speed. 29.2 mph
3) 40km in 51:01
4) 154 pounds
5) Shiv w/ Zipp Super 9 disk and 808 front (Conti Grand Prix TT tires w/ latex tubes)
6) Elevation 5,000'

https://www.strava.com/activities/607289867/

I just turned 55 this year. My goal was to take the 55-59 national record of 50:59. My PR is 49:29 three years ago so I knew it was possible. Unfortunately it was a bit windy this year. This new course changes direction several times so both out and back you would have favorable and unfavorable sections. On the way back miles 15-19 were pretty unfavorable and I thought that the record was out of reach. But making the turn for home with 8.5km to go gave me a nice tail wind and speeds of 32-33 mph. My goal worked out to 2:02 per mile and in this stretch I was doing 1:46-1:48, clawing back tons of time. At the 24 mile mark I was pretty sure I had it in the bag, but for some reason the wind changed and my speed dropped from 34 to 28 and I finished with a 51:01, missing the record by 2 seconds.

That was the fastest masters time of the day. For reference the winning elite was I believe a bit under 49. Maybe 48:50 or so.

Picture from the race.

http://www.craighuffman.com/2016-ncnca-tt-m/h7e304c89#h7e304c89

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Last edited by: nslckevin: Jun 17, 16 4:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) Average watts

240 watts, (251 NP)

2) Average speed in MPH

38.0kmh (23.61mph)

3) Distance

15.1km (bike portion of Mini Triathlon)

4) Rider weight

181lbs

5) Describe bike and wheels

Specialized Transition, riding on Boyd 90/90 wheels.

6) Misc notes, to whine and make excuses for your lack of power and/or lack of aero

Using tri suit (sleeveless), gatorskin tires with Butyl tubes. and Spec. evade helmet. Out and back course with 14kmh winds that for most of the race was a cross wind. Only my fourth time this year on the transition so my power was lower then I would have liked.

7) Optional: a picture (or link to a picture) of you in your aero position.

Don't have one
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. 280w avg, 281 norm
2. 25.44
3. 20.93 miles. 49:21
4. 180lbs (6ft tall)
5. 2013 Specialized Shiv. TriRig brakes and base bar. Zips extensions, Profile carbon brake levers. SRAM Red 10sp shifters and detailers. Shimano 9000 crank 52/36, 11x23 cassette. Reynolds RZR92 wheels, Catalyst cover, Vittoria EVO CX tubulars. Specialized TT2 helmet, Castelli Bodypaint 3.0 size large Barely!
6. 57s personal best on this course. Won my first race ever! At 60! Effing AWESOME.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [nslckevin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice job Kevin. I think conditions were not very fast yesterday -- definitely a good bit slower than nationals last year (and that course was also long). I'm sure you spent the night thinking about all the places you could have maybe made up those two seconds. Hope you get the record next year.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [nslckevin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tough year some far. With just a blink of an eye an you have missed a new Stars and Bars jersey and a new national record. Come join us in Moriarty, records are made to be broken.

BoulderCyclingCoach.com
Last edited by: rockdude: Jun 13, 16 11:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It seems kinda strange to feel bad for someone riding a 51:01. Most people can't image going that fast, but it sucks to be that close and not make your goal. Let's hope for better conditions at your next attempt and maybe we will see you at Moriarty in September :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eagleman 70.3

1) NP: 186 AP: 178 IF: 0.67
2) 22.2 MPH (2:31:xx)
3) 56.1
4) 168
5) Argon 18 E119 w/ Flo 60 front and Flo 90 back with disc cover. Latex Tubes and sleeved tri kit.
6) Felt awful the entire day think the heat got to me was planning to ride 230 NP but my heart rate was jumping to Z4 at anything above 200W...it all spiraled out of control once I got to the run.
7) Will post a picture once race photos are sent out.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
It seems kinda strange to feel bad for someone riding a 51:01. Most people can't image going that fast, but it sucks to be that close and not make your goal. Let's hope for better conditions at your next attempt and maybe we will see you at Moriarty in September :-)

Reminds me of a quote from Mel Brooks. "When you fall into an open manhole, that's comedy. When I get a paper cut, that's tragedy." :-)

Regarding Moriarty. I was talking with Molly Van Houwling's husband Rob in Loyalton about record attempts. It would be cheaper and easier to basically hire officials and do a one off record attempt up in Loyalton or Sattley.

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grand Rapids Tri 70.3

1. NP: 142W AP: 132W IF: 0.71
2. 18.5 MPH (3:01)
3. 55.97
4. 147 lbs
5. Cervelo P2C, Flo 60/90, latex tubes. Not an exceptionally aero front-end setup. BTA bottle and one behind the seat.
6. Nothing to complain about. Good conditions except the roads. Lost some aero late in the bike due to getting uncomfortable so I did a few climbs on the basebars. The first/last 7 miles of this course is also a weekly TT course that I ride often, so I know that area best for pacing which helped.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [beercity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TN State TT (Cat4)

1.) NP: 228 AP: 214 IF: .90
2.) 24.77 (1:00:05)
3.) 40k
4.) 152lbs
5.)Trek SC 7 series, H3/Conti Suso 20mm, 404PT w/cover/Spec Turbo Cotton 24, 3T Brezza Nano
6.) I was in a unique position where I knew the guy starting 30" in front of me is who I would need to beat to win... So I could either follow my plan (235w avg over the 40k) and secure a step, but have no shot of the top, or throw a hail mary and try to keep him in that 30" gap, probably blow up but very slight possibility of winning. Blew up hard (first 20' 255w avg, second 20' 215w, third 20' 205w) and limped home just over an hour for 6th.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Last edited by: leegoocrap: Jun 14, 16 11:06
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [leegoocrap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
leegoocrap wrote:
TN State TT (Cat4)

1.) NP: 228 AP: 214 IF: .90
2.) 24.77 (1:00:05)
3.) 40k
4.) 152lbs
5.)Trek SC 7 series, H3/Conti Suso 20mm, 404PT w/cover/Spec Turbo Cotton 24, 3T Brezza Nano
6.) I was in a unique position where I knew the guy starting 30" in front of me is who I would need to beat to win... So I could either follow my plan (235w avg over the 40k) and secure a step, but have no shot of the top, or throw a hail mary and try to keep him in that 30" gap, probably blow up but very slight possibility of winning. Blew up hard (first 20' 255w avg, second 20' 215w, third 20' 205w) and limped home just over an hour for 6th.

If you could have kept him in that 30 inch gap, I think you could have won!
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [beercity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can finally contribute to one of my favorite threads, though after reading through it I realize I have a lot of work to do.

Grand Rapids Tri 70.3

1. Nominal Power 204, AP 205, IF: .77
2. Average Speed: 19.5 mph , time 2:52:19
3. Distance: 55.9 miles
4. Rider weight: 200 lbs
5. 2016 Cervelo P2, stock wheels and tires with butyl tubes. BTA hydration (water) with a bottle of Infinit on the down tube and an extra bottle behind.

6. This was my first 70.3 and I paced it well with a VI of 1.0. It was hillier than I expected as I've always been told it was flat. Road conditions were pretty bad at one point... thought my bike might fall apart it was chattering so bad. Time includes the longest 3 minute pee break of my life as I took in way too much water to start and thought I was going to explode. Stayed aero for almost the entire ride unless my speed dipped below 16 mph or so on the hills.

Last edited by: Toefuzz: Jun 14, 16 11:18
Quote Reply

Prev Next