Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) 313 watts
2) 45.578 kph, 28.3 mph
3) 45.578 km
4) 158 winter weight. :-)
5) Specialized Transition set up for track. Zipp Super 9 clincher disk and 808 FC front, conti TT tires w/ latex tubes, Specialized SRM. Similar position to my road TT bike (a Shiv), but the aerobar pads a a cm or two higher. That's as low as I can get on the Transition without a Look Ergo stem or similar. Bell TT helmet.
6) One hour test at Hellyer Velodrome in San Jose CA. Just a smidge under 136 laps. 52x15 gear averaging about 104.5 rpm
7) No stills, but a short video clip can be found here. https://www.facebook.com/.../?type=3&theater

If this was an official attempt it would be a new US national hour record for 55-59 by about 500 meters.

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [nslckevin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good Job Kevin.

BoulderCyclingCoach.com
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [nslckevin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice,

Why are you not using the Shiv set up for track instead tho? If this is a focus for next year? Just curious
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:
Nice,

Why are you not using the Shiv set up for track instead tho? If this is a focus for next year? Just curious

Because as I type this I'm on my Shiv on the trainer and don't want to hassle with periodically stripping and building it back up. When it is time to go for it I'll strip the shiv and use that. Unless I can score a BMC TR01...

Kevin

My Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was just asking why you hadn't swapped shiv for transition with your set ups overall if main goal was hour, but if doing TTs still as a goal then makes sense.

as an aside, I wanted to go to track I Kenosha last year, but they were replacing the surface and when done, they had to cut our a section and redo it again so it was closed all year. it is 333m. I assume you have ridden the carson track as well at 250m, so how does that compare to the larger one you were testing on? as far as riding the line and g-forces as you prep?
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironman Copenhagen...way back in August :-)
1) av 242w / np250
2) 24mph
3) 178km
4) 74kg (163lbs)
5) Trek SC 7,5 (2015) Size Large with Profile design TwentyFour 78 and Michelin Power Copmetition and Latex Tubes
6) Prety fast biking day (no wind) course record was set that day
7) Only a front on photo so maybe not much use

Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:
I was just asking why you hadn't swapped shiv for transition with your set ups overall if main goal was hour, but if doing TTs still as a goal then makes sense.

as an aside, I wanted to go to track I Kenosha last year, but they were replacing the surface and when done, they had to cut our a section and redo it again so it was closed all year. it is 333m. I assume you have ridden the carson track as well at 250m, so how does that compare to the larger one you were testing on? as far as riding the line and g-forces as you prep?

Actually, I never thought of doing the full swap. I might have to think about that. On the other hand, I do want the 55-59 national 40km record which I only missed by 2 seconds on a windy day in Loyalton last year. Frankly, I'm all over the place with goals next year. Hour, 40km record, National Hill Climb at Pikes Peak and then finally track worlds in LA.

I've been to Carson to watch elite worlds some year ago, but haven't ridden on it. I did race on the 250m track in Frisco Texas. From a pursuiting point of view I can't say as I remember much difference. It was 17 years ago though...

I haven't been on the track in almost 10 years other than one session in October. I was all over the place in my effort on Saturday. That is one thing that I (and any other roadie) coming to the track will have to work on to improve. I'm sure I rode 100m more than my lap count indicated. You don't want to give the distance away for free like that.

Kevin

My Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Port of Tauranga Half - 07/01/2017

1) 186 avg/190 NP
2) 21.06 MPH
3) 90km
4) 77kgs
5) Merida Time Warp 4, 80mm carbon wheels, Victoria CX Open Evo tyres
6) Avg HR for the race 150 so potentially could have gone a wee bit harder. The front end of my bike isn't as low as it could be, definitely losing some time to the wind. Using a Spec Sitero saddle.
7) Not sure how to post a picture - am hoping this works. Ok it didn't

http://oi68.tinypic.com/1z3o3lx.jpg
Last edited by: BayDad: Jan 11, 17 15:00
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [BayDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Canberra tri festival
Oly distance

Distance--40km
Speed-- 38.7kph or 24mph
Power--215w AP/ 216NP

Bike: Wilier twinblade, random claw aero wheels, Giro advantage2 helmet.
Course: Flat out and back 4 laps 120m elevation for the 40km, headwind/tailwind situation and pretty gusty, probably some slingshot drafting of slower riders, but no sitting on wheels.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [TriguyBlue] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Frosted Fanny Duathlon

1) 207AP/209NP
2) 21mph
3) 11.2mi
4) 150 lbs
5) 2014 BMC TimeMachine with Enve/Powertap SES 6.7
6) Out of aero entirely too much. Right calf cramped badly due to not running nearly enough. I was off my power target by around 20 watts.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [bsramzy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've wanted to post here for a long time, but did my first race with power last weekend!
It was a duathlon bike leg.

1) 223watts (229NP)
2) 23.8 mph
3) 17.5 miles
4) 133 lbs
5) 2012 Felt B16. Flo 30 front and rear with GP4000SII 23s. Pro missile base bar, Vuka Alumina Clip Aerobars. Bell Javelin helmet
6) No excuses or pics!

-----
http://www.howesgreg.com
Last edited by: BungleJapan: Mar 15, 17 19:06
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [BungleJapan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

From Mooloolaba Oly

1) 170 w (NP 184)
2) 21.3 mph (34.4km/h)
3) 24.85 miles (40km)
4) 166.5 lbs (75.5kg)
5) Felt B12 with Zipp flashpoint 60 wheels
6) First/last 5 minutes of course was a little hilly, but mostly ran flat out and back along the motorway
7) I feel like my head was lower once I got out in the open, but this photo was taken just after leaving T1

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Okay, so I went out yesterday at sub-70.3 pace on my Race Setup to see how the setup felt and wear my new trisuit on the bike.

Curious what speed people think I can do in the same conditions on a different course. I'll ride at 270W for the race. Terrain is similar for the race.

1) AP 236W, NP 246W
2) 23.1 MPH
3) 48.5 Miles
4) 71 kg
5) 2010 Cannondale Slice, Flo disc/90, Giro Air Attack, 2XU Project X trisuit.
6) Rode an out and back course with 9-180° turns where I had to coast to slow down due to traffic then nearly stop when turning. My race will have 2 180° turns. Hit 3 red lights where I had to lose all momentum from a long downhill. I'm thinking 1-2 minutes of time saved for those in a race.
7) TrainingPeaks File: http://tpks.ws/QNB6T
8) Photo of Bike
Last edited by: TriowaCPA: Apr 8, 17 3:16
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [TriowaCPA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
70.3 Texas 2017

Speed: 23.5
Distance: 56mi
NP/AP: 207/205
Weight: 66kg

BMC TM01
Giro Aerolid
Super 9/404 (latex in back, butyl in front)
LG Course suit.
Crono aero bottle and 1 BTA.
Rear saddle cage had flat kit.

Heavy cross/slight tail out, heavy cross/light head wind back in.
Way out: 202@23.6
Way back: 212@23.4
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [BayDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seriously impressed at your speed on lower watts than I would have expected. But I'm new to the power game and still figuring it all out.

My first race with a power meter, Oceanside 70.3 last weekend:

1. 197 avg (214NP)
2. 20.76mph
3. 56mi
4. 162lbs
5. 2012 Felt B16, flo 90's, speedfil bta bottle, a single behind-the-seat bottle cage, Conti GP 4000s II
6. First race with power after getting the powertap c1 in January. Still have things to learn to narrow the gap between average and normalized. (let's pretend some of that is due to the 0.4mi section of forced speed limit :P )
7. Best shot that I got:

Current thoughts- I'm flexible enough to get lower. I need to keep my head down. Started looking to replace my 172.5mm crankset with a 170 so I can raise my seat a bit more. Next bike I might try fitting on a 51cm instead of a 54cm (currently my cockpit is slammed, so I think I might have more versatility on a smaller frame. I'm 5'9")
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [tkeds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
also, aero lid!

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hah! Yep, that's on the list as well
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) Average watts - 229
2) Average speed in MPH - 25.2
3) Distance - 55.8 miles
4) Rider weight - 162 lbs
5) Describe bike and wheels

Dimond
HED JET DISC+ / 6+, conti TT, latex, 90 psi
Tririg alphax cockpit w/zipp vuka evo 110
omega x brakes
1x drivetrain w/waxed chain

6) Misc notes, to whine and make excuses for your lack of power and/or lack of aero

Swim was rough and took a lot out of me. HR was ski high and took 10 miles to come down. Target power was 250w which I had no trouble hitting for training rides up to 50 miles.

7) Optional: a picture (or link to a picture) of you in your aero position.

Shitty pics are all I got.

[/url]

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First ever ITT this week. 2nd OA finishing in 16:02, 0:27 back from the winner (he fucking crushed me and everyone else).

Race: 7.4 mi out/back flat course.

1) AP 359W, NP 354W
2) 27.7 MPH
3) 7.4 Miles
4) 71 kg
6) Gusty/steady crosswinds, average yaw for race was 10.6-degrees. Roads were 6/10.
7) TrainingPeaks File: http://tpks.ws/K9iZ1

Last edited by: TriowaCPA: Apr 15, 17 2:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First TT done 'right'. Did the same last year on my road bike and no Aero accessoires whatever.

1) AP 299 watt, NP 305 watt
2) 24.67 mph (39.7 km/h)
3) 26.5 miles (42.7 km)
4) 179.6 lbs (81.5 kilos) / height 6''1 (1.86m)
5) felt b-14 with FFWD fcc f9r wheels (90mm front & back) conti gp4000s II with latex inner tubes. LG p-09 helmet. Cheap skin suit.
6) windy conditions, no cover and flat as a pancake. Not sure that is the reason Im way slower than some of the other guys/galls here with lower power averages. Or maybe I've a terrible Cda.
PM wouldn't start first 5 minutes so almost lost a corner trying to figure out what the hell was going on. After the PM switch on everything went smooth. Too smooth even, added an extra 10 watts to my race plan one third into the race. http://tpks.ws/CYgDc
7)
Last edited by: IvarAlmere: Apr 16, 17 5:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Avg watts: 241
Avg speed: 25.3
Distance: 12.5 miles
Rider weight: 130 lbs
Bike and wheels: BMC TM01, zipp 808
Misc notes: head wind on way out, tail wind on way back where junior gearing limited power/speed because cadence was averaging 100 and couldn't spin any more
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) 140 w
2) 18.5 mph
3) 201.02 miles
4) 164 lbs
5) 2012 Cervel P2, Mercury M5 wheels
6) Solo brevet / adventure, not a race. central Pennsylvania to southern Delaware

elevation: 6,024 feet
avg cadence: 82
avg hear rate: 134
moving time: 10:53:32
elapsed time: 12:11:54

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [TriowaCPA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriowaCPA wrote:
First ever ITT this week. 2nd OA finishing in 16:02, 0:27 back from the winner (he fucking crushed me and everyone else).

Race: 7.4 mi out/back flat course.

1) AP 359W, NP 354W
2) 27.7 MPH
3) 7.4 Miles
4) 71 kg
6) Gusty/steady crosswinds, average yaw for race was 10.6-degrees. Roads were 6/10.
7) TrainingPeaks File: http://tpks.ws/K9iZ1

That's a sweeet pic. Very ominous.

2017 races: St. George 70.3 May 6 | Madison 70.3 June 11 | IM Zurich July 30 | Chicago Marathon October 8
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [b-rudy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Definitely the coolest race photo I've ever had taken of me. Photographer was positioned perfectly and the sunset/clouds were perfect to get some cool pictures.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironman Arizona
1) 166W avg, 173W NP (68.5% of FTP)
2) 20.5 mph
3) 112 miles
4) 182 lbs
5) 2012 Cervelo P2, size 58, Zipp 808's FC clinchers with 4000sII and latex tubes
6) No excuses. My goal was to average over 20 mph in an ironman and still be able to run off the bike. I followed that ride with a marathon that was only 15 minutes off my marathon PR, so goal accomplished. That the course and conditions were fair on that day with both head and tail winds throughout. I may have left a little out there riding under 70%, but I just wasn't feeling it my legs that day at my target NP of 180, so I backed off early on and rode comfortably uncomfortable.
7) No photo, but I definitely think my aero position right now is mediocre at best and needs some work.
Quote Reply

Prev Next