Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironman 70.3 Eagleman
Strava file

1) 305 W AP, 310 W NP
2) 27.2 mph / 43.7 km/h
3) 56 mi / 90 km (bike split: 2:03:41)
4) ~158 lbs / 72 kg
5) Ventum One, Zipp 808 with Catalyst cover, Continental Attack/Force, Zipp Vuka Alumina Evo 110 extensions, Pioneer power meter/head unit, integrated reservoir + standard BTA bottle, Kiwami Spider WS1 suit, LG P-09 helmet, Bont Sub-9 shoes
6) I rode the first 20-30k hard to take the lead and break away. That required peak power of 1s @ 800W, 10s @ 641W, 1min @ 433W, 5mins @ 363W, and 10mins @ 342W. I was chasing my bike CR from last year (2:01:58), but windier conditions and less even pacing put it out of reach. I also overshot a turn and lost a little time. Doh!
7) The photo below isn't in full race trim and I've since swapped extensions for a higher hand position.

CodyBeals.com | Instagram | TikTok
ASICS | Ventum | Martin's | HED | VARLO | Shimano | 4iiii | Keystone Communications
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Cody Beals] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
16.25miles

238w

23.8 mph

Was on my road bike, no race wheels, javelin aero helmet, ITU compliant kit

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Toefuzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toefuzz wrote:

1. Nominal Power 204, AP 205, IF: .77

What really stands out here is NP is lower than AP, especially if you took a 3 minute break. Are you not recording zeros?
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure. I'm using a Garmin 500 that cost me a 6 pack and am not familiar with all of the settings. I turned off the autostop as the time matches my overall time for that leg of the race per the event timer. I will need to dig into the settings when I get home. I'm new to using power and like most things in life, know just enough to break things or make them worse, but not enough to truly understand it!
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Toefuzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toefuzz wrote:
I'm not sure. I'm using a Garmin 500 that cost me a 6 pack and am not familiar with all of the settings. I turned off the autostop as the time matches my overall time for that leg of the race per the event timer. I will need to dig into the settings when I get home. I'm new to using power and like most things in life, know just enough to break things or make them worse, but not enough to truly understand it!

Good deal on a 500 and good job on turning off auto-pause. Garmin connect should tell you if zeros were recorded or where ever else you are uploading and analyzing the data (well hopefully you will start using wko+, training peaks, or golden cheetah to analyze power data and not garmin connect). Then you can dig through the settings and fix it. Or you can just go to setting to check and fix it.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I upload to Connect and then use Training Peaks. I'm not sure how to tell but it does show zero watts and there is a gap where I had my emergency bathroom break (can't bring myself to pee on the bike yet), so I would guess that it was recording zeros... correct?

I made the workout public if you want to take a look... I think this should work.

http://tpks.ws/Gnk9u

Like I said, I'm new to power and not really sure what to do with the data now that I have it.
Last edited by: Toefuzz: Jun 14, 16 12:11
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Jeff Johnson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) 267 watts
2) 21.93 MPH
3) 12.43 miles
4) 75kg (165lbs)
5) Cannondale Synapse roadbike, Fulcrum alloy rims, Conti GP4000s2 25mm
6) happy with the result of first tri this season, 34/167 on the bike

(2nd ride ever with Stages power...)

Netherlands || '16 Cervelo P2 & '17 Giant TCR
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [forshy0516] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eagleman 70.3

1) 264 AP/268 NP
2) 24.5mph (time 2:17:51)
3) 56 miles (my Garmin said 56.1)
4) 85kgs
5) Scott Plasma. Zipp NSW wheels, Conti GP4000s2 23mm with latex tubes
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [nslckevin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nslckevin wrote:
grumpier.mike wrote:
It seems kinda strange to feel bad for someone riding a 51:01. Most people can't image going that fast, but it sucks to be that close and not make your goal. Let's hope for better conditions at your next attempt and maybe we will see you at Moriarty in September :-)

Reminds me of a quote from Mel Brooks. "When you fall into an open manhole, that's comedy. When I get a paper cut, that's tragedy." :-)

Regarding Moriarty. I was talking with Molly Van Houwling's husband Rob in Loyalton about record attempts. It would be cheaper and easier to basically hire officials and do a one off record attempt up in Loyalton or Sattley.

Look at the historical weather records and get a windless day, set it up and lets do it. Well, I think I have gain 12 pounds in three weeks so I got some work to do first.

BoulderCyclingCoach.com
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems silly to follow up Cody's awesome split at Eagleman, but here was my day:
1) NP: 302 watts AP: 298 watts
2) 26.47 mph
3) 56 miles
4) 170 lbs (ish). I hate getting on the scale.
5) Trek Speed Concept 9.9. Zipp 808/Super 9 with 23mm Conti GP4000s front and rear.
6) Kask Bambino helmet, LG Course M-2 Trisuit, LG Tri 300 shoes, BTA bottle and X-lab aero bottle in the downtube, Quarq Elsa RS powermeter.

Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:
Harvard IL TT-MATTS Series, 20.3mi ~200' climbing, lollipop course , elev 920'
167lbs
311w avg 312np
29.5 mph

2014 48cm P3, aduro bars, H3 front Jet+ Disk Rear, conti SS 20/23( F/R) , A2 helmet(ie all the stuff that isn't as fast on ST :) did I need pink there?
surprised by speed on that power. makes me want to check the PM(will later)
not motivated for this TT. Only went down to see Cervelo3 and his wife Christina. at mile 8, I wanted to quit, mile 8.7, brief 10sec of SVT(maybe I could sense it coming:) decided to just push it in. I thought it was breezy while warming up, but did not seem so at start. from data, slight headwind on way out(downhill overall and slower)tailwind return(net uphill and faster) Very happy with result of 41:13 as it is a PR by 1:14(2011)

holy *****, that's slippery (assuming your PM is correct). Even if it's 330W, it's still damn slippery
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think having no one on course with me helped as I could keep head down more as I passed zero people travelling in same direction. seems a lot of folks that tt went to another event "hillinois" that day and the ones that were supposed to be around me on ride #2 of their day, bailed on that. so I just had to look for occasional cars or farm equipment.

I had a bloody nose during TT as well of which I was unaware until after.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Once again, blown away by bestbikesplit.com - prediction within 30 seconds

Here's my watts and speed from IM 70.3 victoria

Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [randomtriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK here's mine. It wasn't a great race for me, but I'll leave the whining for the end.

1) AP=253w, NP=255w
2) 27.0mph
3) 40k/24.9mi for 55:17
4) 187lb (Ugh)
5) Trek SC9, H3/GPSS20, Jet+disc/STC24, LG Vorttice helmet, Castelli BP3 skinsuit
6) Race at 5000'. Took the winter off and only started training a few weeks ago. Turns out that wasn't enough :-). Power was utter crap, and I always suffer more than avg at altitude anyway, and I'm fat. I actually cramped up twice, in a freaking 55min race :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Sbradley11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sbradley11 wrote:
Seems silly to follow up Cody's awesome split at Eagleman, but here was my day:
1) NP: 302 watts AP: 298 watts
2) 26.47 mph
3) 56 miles
4) 170 lbs (ish). I hate getting on the scale.
5) Trek Speed Concept 9.9. Zipp 808/Super 9 with 23mm Conti GP4000s front and rear.
6) Kask Bambino helmet, LG Course M-2 Trisuit, LG Tri 300 shoes, BTA bottle and X-lab aero bottle in the downtube, Quarq Elsa RS powermeter.

Nothing silly about that! Nice ride Scott!

CodyBeals.com | Instagram | TikTok
ASICS | Ventum | Martin's | HED | VARLO | Shimano | 4iiii | Keystone Communications
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lanierb wrote:
OK here's mine. It wasn't a great race for me, but I'll leave the whining for the end.

1) AP=253w, NP=255w
2) 27.0mph
4) 187lb (Ugh)
5) Trek SC9, H3/GPSS20, Jet+disc/STC24, LG Vorttice helmet, Castelli BP3 skinsuit
6) Race at 5000'. Took the winter off and only started training a few weeks ago. Turns out that wasn't enough :-). Power was utter crap, and I always suffer more than avg at altitude anyway, and I'm fat. I actually cramped up twice, in a freaking 55min race :-)

Do you have a picture of your setup/position? I could only dream of riding that split at that power.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Toefuzz wrote:
I upload to Connect and then use Training Peaks. I'm not sure how to tell but it does show zero watts and there is a gap where I had my emergency bathroom break (can't bring myself to pee on the bike yet), so I would guess that it was recording zeros... correct?

I made the workout public if you want to take a look... I think this should work.

http://tpks.ws/Gnk9u

Like I said, I'm new to power and not really sure what to do with the data now that I have it.

Hmm, kinda hard to tell from training peaks (note: I do not use training peaks and anything I wanted to do to check resulted in being asked to upgrade to premium). Garmin connect should tell you, there is something by the picture of the garmin 500 that should say recording zeros yes or no.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd never noticed that before! You are correct. There is a picture of my 500 and it says Use Zeros... Learn something new every day!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2016 Boulder 70.3 - fastest AG bike split.

1) 246AP/253NP
2) 25.6MPH
3) 54 miles
4) 168lbs
5) Dimond. Enve 8.9s. Wheelbuilder cover on the rear.
6) I have a big nose...and I was nose to the wind having been in the first AG wave....and those wrinkles. Gah!

Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [darkhorsetri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wtf is up with those shoes? they look wider than duck feet and at the angle shown into the wind, a nice aero hit too

probably an optical illusion ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Triagain3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triagain3 wrote:
lanierb wrote:

1) AP=253w, NP=255w
2) 27.0mph
4) 187lb (Ugh)

Do you have a picture of your setup/position? I could only dream of riding that split at that power.

So keep in mind this was at 5000', so you go about 1.5mph faster than you would at sea level on the same power. That said, this was also a slow day due to the wind (and of course you lose a bunch of power due to lack of oxygen). Pavement was moderate, definitely not fast, but not completely crappy either.

Here's a photo from last year that is the same position. My race CdA (includes turns/turnaround/etc, where you lose something) tends to be about 0.215-0.225 depending on the wind, which is good for my size, but nowhere near as good as jeffp's!
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have done one TT at altitude, I went slower than on the flat lands :) stomach bug issues played a role in that :(

I should try and calc what my cda is including turns and svt......still not sure how I have sped up this year for same power(once I get PM fixed I can check it, stripped a bolt in crank arm/spider attachment when checking torque, ie too much)
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:
I have done one TT at altitude, I went slower than on the flat lands :) stomach bug issues played a role in that :(
I'm bummed because I've never had a good run up there. I clearly lose way more power than most (unacclimatized). Maybe next year I'll try going up there for a week before the race and see if that helps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:
wtf is up with those shoes? they look wider than duck feet and at the angle shown into the wind, a nice aero hit too

probably an optical illusion ;)

They're a custom shoe with a mid-foot cleat position. The duct tape is a rather inelegant solution to making the two straps into one.

Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [darkhorsetri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so how wide across are they?
Quote Reply

Prev Next