Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Challenge Cerrado 2017 - 70.3 distance in Brasilia-BR

1) 174W avg, 186W NP - 1.07 VI - 0.74 IF
2) 36 km/h (22.4 MPH)
3) 90 km
4) 143 lbs
5) Very old Scott Plasma (2008/2009) with Shimano RS80 C50 wheels with 4000sII and butyl tubes. Helmet is a Giro Air Attack.
6) First race using my P1's, my main goal was to be able to run well after the bike, that's the reason for the low IF (I think). Final time for the 70.3 was 4h54 and I'm very happy with my sub 5 =D!!
7)
Last edited by: Jonny89: Apr 25, 17 15:42
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) 272
2) 23.3mph
3) 9.1 miles
4) 200 pounds
5) CAAD12, 30mm wheels

Havent been on my TT bike since September, so I wasn't going to put myself through the pain of a TT without at least having it ridden it a few times first.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Wylde06] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have good data from the CactusMan Olympic race yesterday in Tempe. It was an accurate 40k shot 650 feet of total climbing, a two loop course with a total of 4 complete 180 degree turns, some rough road sections but mostly smooth. My data included me running with the bike for maybe 15-20 seconds from the dismount line to the entrance to transition when I managed to lap my watch.
40k time- 1:02:38
Average Power- 245
NP- 256
IF- .85
VI- 1.04
Weight- 165
Height- 5'10
3.3 watts/kg
Equpitment- Ceepo Viper, SCYS wheels, 60mm front, 80mm rear with disc cover, Giro Aerohead helmet.
I recently wind tunnel tested at FASTER in Scottsdale and my friend who also raced and was familiar with the conditions loaded my data up to Golden Cheetah and cane back with a CDA of .236 which is very close to what I observed in my tunnel data.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Last edited by: Bryancd: May 1, 17 10:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
(1) AP-263; NP 269
2) 19.3 mph
3) 24 miles
4) 193 lbs
5) Cervelo P2, Flo 60/90
6) Very windy and very strong gusts
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: May 1, 17 17:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Revenge of the Disc #2 in Brownsville, OR

1) 321 watts

2) 26.2 mph

3) 40k ITT

4) 5'11" tall, 183 Pounds

5) 2016 Fuji Norcom Straight, Flow 90(f)/Disc(r), Zipp Alumina bars, Specialized Power Pro saddle, FSA Power2Max crank

6) Voler Skinsuit ... sample that I bought on sale for $89.00, Bell Javelin helmet (not happy with it), Specialized Expert shoes (no shoe covers)

7) I expected to be faster, but I'm obviously doing something wrong from an aero perspective ... I've gone faster on similar power, but just can't seem to get it together so far. However, I was 34 seconds faster with 4 more watts than during the first race 3 weeks ago, so I made some improvements through some small adjustments.

Last edited by: Wookiebiker: May 2, 17 21:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironman Texas'17 - 4:42 bike split (4:45 inc mechanicals)

1) 184w (200w np)
2) 23.36mph (37.6 kph)
3) 176.7km
4) 143.5 lbs/65kg, note I'm only 174cm so helps for the aero.
5) Trek SC, Zipp 808 fr and Super9 Disc clinchers. Aggressive position with only BTA and behind saddle bottles.
6) First 2hrs done at target 225w for 39.8kph, strange 10 min power drop out at 2.5hr mark and then power dropped to 185 or so. (chain came off), Likely power 205w ish maybe if readings were off after chain issue. Lousy head wind for last return lap saw speed drop by 5-6mph for last hour.
7) Pretty aero position. sleeved suit, Sworks TT helmet, staying aero. BBS estimated CDA at .223 ish. I shrug whenever poss and get head right down at times.

http://tpks.ws/wSU2O

Shows how much aero really counts imo. Now to try improve even more.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Wookiebiker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wookiebiker wrote:
Revenge of the Disc #2 in Brownsville, OR

7) I expected to be faster, but I'm obviously doing something wrong from an aero perspective ... I've gone faster on similar power, but just can't seem to get it together so far. However, I was 34 seconds faster with 4 more watts than during the first race 3 weeks ago, so I made some improvements through some small adjustments.

The air density for both races was quite high. 1.255 for April 9 and 1.239 for April 29. So all else held equal you should have been slow in both races but faster in the second race. Also, I would rate the average pavement quality as pretty poor. Even with good tires, the Crr is probably in the .004 range.

For my part, I only managed 25.5mph with 251 watts on April 9 and 25.4mph with 252 watts on April 29. How's that for consistency? The slightly slower speed in the second run was probably due to the inferior aerodynamics of the Corsa Speed tire on my front wheel.

If you go back a few years to the 40.25K course on the other side of the freeway, my numbers were 28.1 mph with 291 watts. Sigh.

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Last edited by: jens: May 2, 17 8:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

1) Average watts 257W
2) Average speed in MPH 23.7
3) Distance 12.5 miles (20k Sprint Tri)
4) Rider weight 186 lbs, 6'7"
5) Describe bike and wheels: 2016 Cannondale Slice, Zipp 808, Ultegra with Pioneer power crank left only
6) Misc notes, to whine and make excuses for your lack of power and/or lack of aero: -

NO
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) Average watts 285W
2) Average speed in MPH 26..7
3) Distance 10miles rolling slightly net uphill, very light wind
4) Rider weight 150 lbs, 5'11"
5) Describe bike and wheels: 2013 Trek SC, HED 9 powertap wheels
6) By far the most efficient ride on that segment that day and looking at leader board and knowing the size of the other guys, the most efficient up there. Which makes me wonder after looking through this thread if a link to the file should be required
https://www.strava.com/activities/966344636/segments/23668561472
Last edited by: peace242000: May 2, 17 17:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) 307 watts
2) 27.1 MPH
3) 9.89 miles (10 Mile Road TT)
4) 140 lbs
5) QR PRsix (DIY Speed Box), FLO90 Carbon, Reynolds Disc, Conti GP4000sii tires, Vittoria Latex tubes, Felt Devox bars, TriRig front brake, Wing57 helmet, Rotor NoQ rings and 165mm 3D Cranks, Power2Max PM, Lake TX222 shoes, Ownway Apparel Trisuit
6) Excuses: First TT in two years
7) Optional: a picture: Not from this race, but this is the exact setup I did race on:

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [jens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So at least a few people from here did RotD this past weekend.

1) 272 watts
2) 27.6 mph
3) 40km ITT
4) 140lbs
5) Orbea Ordu OMP; HED H3+ front, HED Jet+ Disc rear; Vittoria Corsa Speed tires w/ latex tubes front and rear; Quarq Dzero PM w/ 170mm crank arms and Rotor 54/42 Qrings; Specialized S-works TT helmet.

I agree that the pavement on the section heading out where we went right was quite worse than the rest of the course.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [geauxTT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
geauxTT wrote:

This is a good case study, because we have several people doing the same course on the same day. So I calculated CdAs based on Rolling Resistance of .0045 and assuming watts are at the crank (6 watts higher than hub):

Me: 160 lbs, CdA: .230
geauxTT: 140 lbs: CdA: .195
Wookie: 183 lbs: CdA: .270

In each case, the ratio of CdA/weight is nearly the same: .0014

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [jens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jens wrote:
geauxTT wrote:

This is a good case study, because we have several people doing the same course on the same day. So I calculated CdAs based on Rolling Resistance of .0045 and assuming watts are at the crank (6 watts higher than hub):

Me: 160 lbs, CdA: .230
geauxTT: 140 lbs: CdA: .195
Wookie: 183 lbs: CdA: .270

In each case, the ratio of CdA/weight is nearly the same: .0014

So ... what you are saying, is I'm as aero as a brick :)

Probably true, but considering I was a hammer thrower in my younger days (college) and could squat just under 600 and bench 455, it's probably a safe bet. I have wide shoulders, big legs and a thick midsection, but still trying to drop a little weight.

The question is ... how do I get more aero?
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Wookiebiker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Springs Back Olympic Tri, Fulshear, TX - a local small field.

1) 241watts (243NP)
2) 23.7 mph
3) 24.84 miles
4) 170 lbs
5) 2013 Shiv Comp. SRAM 80 front, Renn disc rear, both with GP4000SII 23s and latex tubes. Aeria base bar with Zipp Vuka Shift Aerobars with R2C shifters. TriRig Omega front brake. Bell Javelin helmet.
6) Second fastest bike split by 5 seconds
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wookiebiker wrote:

The question is ... how do I get more aero?

You can't, or at least not significantly. That's what I was getting at with my previous post. If you look at the three of us, our cdAs all have roughly same ratio to our body weight. If you scan all bizillion pages of this thread, you'll find the same thing. That's no coincidence.

Your position frankly looks quite good to me. I have no doubt that if you weighed 140 lbs, your cdA would be under .20, just like geauxTT. But because your position is already solid, you're not going to find big aero gains, unless you magically drop 43 lbs and a few inches of height,

Last edited by: jens: May 8, 17 16:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) Average watts
2) Average speed in MPH
3) Distance
4) Rider weight
5) Describe bike and wheels
6) Misc notes, to whine and make excuses for your lack of power and/or lack of aero
7) Optional: a picture (or link to a picture) of you in your aero position.

I'll go:

1) 290W AVG, 294W NP
2) 25.4 mph
3) 10 miles
4) 158 lbs
5) Giant Trinity Advanced SL-0, HED JET 90 Front, HED JET Disc, Attack/Force Combo, Latex tubes, P.I. short sleeve jersey, velotoez, bontrager ballista MIIPS helmet
6) First TT of the year, pics coming. Happy with my ride and will ride this same course 3 more times this summer (1 each month).

RACE FILE: https://www.strava.com/activities/979021124#kudos
Last edited by: kppolich: May 29, 17 18:05
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) Average watts
2) Average speed in MPH
3) Distance
4) Rider weight
5) Describe bike and wheels
6) Misc notes, to whine and make excuses for your lack of power and/or lack of aero
7) Optional: a picture (or link to a picture) of you in your aero position.

Santa Rosa 70.3:

1) 173 avg watts (195 NP), .808 IF
2) 22.0 mph (Garmin)
3) 56.37 miles (Garmin)
4) 155 lbs.
5) 2016 Cervelo P2, HED JET+ 6/9, Vittoria Corsa Speed clincher, Vittoria latex tubes, Orange Sealant, LG P-09 helmet
6) I'm a terrible swimmer. Almost nobody around me was going my speed, so it was hard to maintain consistent power when I have to pass groups of people 3-4 wide. Luckily, they really closed down the course to traffic. I probably overcooked the bike, since I blew up on the run.

Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [narcomoeba] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) 347 watts
2) 30.12 MPH
3) 10 miles (10 Mile Road TT)
4) 185 lbs
5) Cervelo P5, Hed Jet Plus disc, Jed Jet 9 plus front wheel. Latex tubes, Vittoria Corsa Speed tyres, Skinsuit, Trip socks, Velotoze.
6) -
7) -

------------------------------------------
http://www.twhatley.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) Average watts: 233
2) Average speed in MPH: 24.3
3) Distance: 110 miles (IMTX 2017)
4) Rider weight: 175 lbs
5) Describe bike and wheels: Dimond with 808 front and Super 9 disc. Turbo Cotton tires.

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
first race with a power meter. Garmin Vector 2 pedals

1) Average watts: 272
2) Average speed in MPH: 22.6
3) Distance: 20 miles
4) Rider weight: 205 lbs
5) Describe bike and wheels : Trek SC 7.5 with Aeolus 7
6) Misc notes, to whine and make excuses for your lack of power and/or lack of aero: no whining, got 1st in AG.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [srschick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Checking out a local TT event course:

1) Average watts: 256AP/256NP
2) Average speed in MPH: 26.0
3) Distance: 40km
4) Rider weight: 79kg
5) Describe bike and wheels : 2007 Cervelo P3C, FLOs
6) Misc notes to whine and make excuses for your lack of power: I did do 118 miles and 10500' of climbing yesterday at the same AP/little higher NP and also 105 miles and ~10000 climbing on Sunday at little higher AP/NP =)~ Not the best wind as well while I am whining. LOL

Formerly TriBrad02
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [CyclingBrad02] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gulf Coast 69.1

1. 223 AP / 226 NP
2. 25.6 MPH
3. 56 miles
4. 130 lbs
5. 2010 Cervelo P4 - Ventus / Tririg Omega / Zipp 808 FC w/ Aerojacket on the rear.

J. Tyler Pate
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [JTPATE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice f'n work!
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [JTPATE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JTPATE wrote:
Gulf Coast 69.1

1. 223 AP / 226 NP
2. 25.6 MPH
3. 56 miles
4. 130 lbs
5. 2010 Cervelo P4 - Ventus / Tririg Omega / Zipp 808 FC w/ Aerojacket on the rear.

Nice work, my man! You were gone within 5 minutes.

1. 254 AP
2. 24 mph
3. 56 miles
4. 166 lbs, 6'2
5. 2013 P3. Old Hed 3, 2004 Renn Disc
6. Excuses? None, just couldn't hit power from the start. Also, I've got a fit appt in 2 weeks. This thread makes me realize I've got some aero work to do.
Last edited by: pvolb: May 18, 17 8:38
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [pvolb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hickory Grove Sprint Triathlon

1. 293W AP, 305W NP
2. 25 mph
3. 15.77 Miles (3 loop w/ an out/back stick)
4. 155 lbs
5. Cannondale Slice (2010 frame) - Flo 90/Disc, Di2 7970.
6. GUSTY day and 45-degree temps. The wheelset was great with a tail/head wind, but DAMN those crosswinds were nasty. Plan was to ride at 310W but it was too damn hard to watch the garmin.

Fastest split on the day (38:19), besting TJ Tollakson on his Dimond Marquise w/ 808s by 27-seconds.

Ended up running a 18:12 5km split to finish 2nd overall. MAN that was fun.
Quote Reply

Prev Next