Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2015 Spring Classics Thread *****Spoilers***** [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Brilliant ride. If he doesn't bridge up then one of the three wins because no way anyone's dragging Degenkolb to the front of race. Dude has some major stones, and now a big rock to go with them.

Exactly....we were watching the race while riding trainers this AM and I said to my buddy...."This is all or nothing. It works or he loses." Just a great ride and perfectly executed.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Spring Classics Thread *****Spoilers***** [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Brilliant ride. If he doesn't bridge up then one of the three wins because no way anyone's dragging Degenkolb to the front of race. Dude has some major stones, and now a big rock to go with them.

I'm confused. Is the "he" Degenkolb? Who are "the three"?

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Spring Classics Thread *****Spoilers***** [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Degenkolb bridged up to GvA and Lampaert. I misremembered it as three.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Spring Classics Thread *****Spoilers***** [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericM40-44 wrote:
markg wrote:

Worth it to me to avoid the Phil/Paul-isms.

it's like they weren't even trying. EVERY segment was the critical segment of the race, EVERY rider wants to win PR since birth (natch), but never did they have a handle on the individual and team tactics or even what the heck was going on in the race.

I like Sean Kelly, I can understand him most of the time.

Yeah it's not so much the cliches and hyperbole, it's the inability to recognize riders or tactics which is their biggest shortcoming. In fairness Sherwin would probably do alright with another knowledgeable person. I'm pretty sure Phil only watches the races he calls and therefore doesn't know who 80% of the riders are, which would explain his chronic problem of identifying them.

Pretty sure they started out as guys who did voice overs of highlight videos, and they still mostly call a race like that. They've never really gotten that good at filling a few hours of air time.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Spring Classics Thread *****Spoilers***** [Landyachtz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Landyachtz wrote:
Roubaix picks:

1: Degenkolb
2: Stybar
3: Wiggo

WC: Terpstra
WC: Kristoff

So, I get 6 points for this, correct? 4 for Degenkolb and 2 for Stybar?
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Spring Classics Thread *****Spoilers***** [markg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is the Eurosport player available in the US?

"one eye doubles my eyesight, so things don't look half bad" John Hiatt
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Spring Classics Thread *****Spoilers***** [moneydog59] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With VPN I'd think so. I have it in middle east

Total clowns for messing with tgv, should be dq'd - lethal
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Spring Classics Thread *****Spoilers***** [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:

I agree, 2006 three riders were disqualified when chasing Cancellara and the precedent was established that the rule would be enforced. Once the gates are down, if you pass they should be disqualified. If it is not enforced then next year people will do the same thing, but if they are disqualified, then there is a debate about why the rule is only applied on occasion. If you have a rule then enforce it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had them reversed, Degenkolb as WC and Stybar winning.

You must handily be the king of the classics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think my luck may run out in the Ardennes, but I've definitely had luck on my side so far.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Spring Classics Thread *****Spoilers***** [Ron_Burgundy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ron_Burgundy wrote:
Andrewmc wrote:

I agree, 2006 three riders were disqualified when chasing Cancellara and the precedent was established that the rule would be enforced. Once the gates are down, if you pass they should be disqualified. If it is not enforced then next year people will do the same thing, but if they are disqualified, then there is a debate about why the rule is only applied on occasion. If you have a rule then enforce it.
Yup I believe it was that year a friend of mine (Leif Hoste) was in that group and got DQ'd.

But the rules aren't always as clear. When do you need to stop? As soon as the red light starts blinking? As soon as the bell starts? As soon as the barriers start moving? As soon as they have stopped moving? While for some it was obvious what they did was stupid (barriers completely down and still crossing) it was less obvious for others (front of the peloton).

Quote | Reply
They missed the train by only a minute last year. I think it was the same crossing:
https://www.youtube.com/...MiNumsVc&t=42m3s

The commentator even references the DQs from 2006.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Spring Classics Thread *****Spoilers***** [Ron_Burgundy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ron_Burgundy wrote:
Andrewmc wrote:

Pais vasco: http://www.cyclingnews.com/...aix-safety-incidents

Riders complains cause roads were not safe

PRX: Riders go by stop sign/lights/barrier with a fast train approaching...

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BP picks:

1: Gilbert
2: Gallopin
3: Chavanel

WC: Moser
WC: Bardet
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Gilbert
2. Mathews
3. Gallopin

WC Voeckler
WC Navardauskas

http://www.thedeludedcyclist.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Spring Classics Thread *****Spoilers***** [deludedcyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
is BP one of the ones we make picks for? Anyway, totally random selection...can't be worse than my YTD performance:

1. Bakelants
2. Chavanel
3. Lampaert

WC: Hoogerland
WC: Leukemans
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty good pic by you to start this round off.

Wonder if Matthews can be the Degenkolb of Ardennes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Possible. But he will need better team support for this to happen (strictly talking about today). Guys like Weening will be invaluable as he was for Gerrans last year in La Doyenne, with an Albasini as a nice backup. Strong team for the Ardennes though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks!

It's certainly possible with Matthews. I was feeling dumb yesterday for not picking him, but didn't want to go back and change my picks.

The person I'm really wondering about is Dan Martin. He's had such a quiet start to the year, but he's been on point the last two years for this week, and probably would have won LBL back-to-back if he hadn't slipped a wheel in the final corner last year. Gilbert appears to be on form at the right time. It will be an exciting week for sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[/url]http://wp.me/pKeC5-9cc

Tilford on the rules. I almost always like his stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Spring Classics Thread *****Spoilers***** [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Outright
10/3
Philippe Gilbert
7/2
Michal Matthews
4/1
Alejandro Valverde
11/2
Michal Kwiatkowski
12/1
Joaquim Rodriguez
12/1
Peter Sagan
15/1
Jelle Vanendert
17/1
Tom Dumoulin
20/1
Simon Gerrans
22/1
Daniel Martin
22/1
Sergio Henao
33/1
Bauke Mollema
33/1
Enrico Gasparotto
35/1
Tony Gallopin
40/1
Tim Wellens
44/1
Daniel Moreno
44/1
Tom Jelte Slagter
44/1
Zdenek Stybar
50/1
Geraint Thomas
55/1
Greg Van Avermaet
55/1
Rui Costa
66/1
Roman Kreuziger
66/1
Vincenzo Nibali
66/1
Wouter Poels

1/4 Odds Place 1,2,3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmm... just looking at the start list (http://www.cyclingfever.com/...;editie_idd=MjYwNjM=) and I'm not seeing Thomas for Sky. Any idea if the oddsmaker's start list is more reliable than that one?

Also, is all the stuff that's going on with GVA going to prevent him from starting? I would've guessed that it would, but I was pretty surprised to see him ride the other classics too.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Spring Classics Thread *****Spoilers***** [WILLEATFORFOOD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WILLEATFORFOOD wrote:
Hmm... just looking at the start list (http://www.cyclingfever.com/...;editie_idd=MjYwNjM=) and I'm not seeing Thomas for Sky. Any idea if the oddsmaker's start list is more reliable than that one?

Also, is all the stuff that's going on with GVA going to prevent him from starting? I would've guessed that it would, but I was pretty surprised to see him ride the other classics too.

Book has Stybar riding, startlist no. I'd defer to startlist.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
Outright
10/3
Philippe Gilbert
7/2
Michal Matthews
4/1
Alejandro Valverde
11/2
Michal Kwiatkowski
12/1
Joaquim Rodriguez
12/1
Peter Sagan
15/1
Jelle Vanendert
17/1
Tom Dumoulin
20/1
Simon Gerrans
22/1
Daniel Martin
22/1
Sergio Henao
33/1
Bauke Mollema
33/1
Enrico Gasparotto
35/1
Tony Gallopin
40/1
Tim Wellens
44/1
Daniel Moreno
44/1
Tom Jelte Slagter
44/1
Zdenek Stybar
50/1
Geraint Thomas
55/1
Greg Van Avermaet
55/1
Rui Costa
66/1
Roman Kreuziger
66/1
Vincenzo Nibali
66/1
Wouter Poels

1/4 Odds Place 1,2,3

1st to 3rd: Kwiat, Gilbert, Valverde
WC: Gallopin and Martin
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Spring Classics Thread *****Spoilers***** [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think Kwiatkowski, Gilbert and Matthews will all get an Ardennes win. Just not sure which one.
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: Apr 18, 15 6:11
Quote Reply

Prev Next