Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2015 Spring Classics Thread *****Spoilers***** [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
Jeez....Kristoff is definitely the man on fire right now. Although I am not certain why he rode that hard with Roubaix coming up.

Other than going from a long way out, I don't think he worked himself today. He's supernatural right now; have to believe he'll be strong again Sunday. The other guy that looked like he had a lot more gears and was totally within himself was Paolini. On and near the front he was super smooth, poised, like he had power to spare. Maybe Katusha has stolen the Sky smoothie recipe.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Spring Classics Thread *****Spoilers***** [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whatever they're drinking it's working like magic. I can tell you it's not bananaspinachblueberryalmond milk because all that does is clean my digestive system real quick!

He'll be top of my list despite his poor performances here in the past. It does look like they've found another gear for both Alex and Luca somehow. It'll be interesting to see who else makes the cut on Sunday for sure.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Spring Classics Thread *****Spoilers***** [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can't believe this thread is this far down with PR coming up on Sunday. What's everyone thinking? Can Kristoff keep romping around Belgium and northern France making everyone look silly? Can Terpstra ride away from his teammates? Will Stybar keep his teeth in? Does Sagan risk it all and top-off with whatever it takes not to bonk 1K from the finish? Can Wiggins TT the whole thing? Will GvA take a deep breath (of fresh air) and follow the decisive attack to finally win something big?

Interested in everyone's opinions, picks...
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Spring Classics Thread *****Spoilers***** [kollac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Race is gonna be fast this year.....forecast calls for AM showers tomorrow and then low 60's and dry on Sunday.

Gut reaction is that this helps Wiggins vs the heavier riders, but still can't see him winning it. Definite top 5 candidate.

I'm gonna go with

Cadillac: VanMarcke
Steak knives: Terpstra
Fired: Defenkolb

WC: GvA, Wiggins

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My pick is Kristoff.

He is strong. Not sprinter strong, but endurance strong. As Kristoff has said in Norwegian media, I am not the fastest sprinter with the highest top speed, but after 260k few can sprint faster. He is a grinder and I think the other team will ruin for themselves.

But this is Roubaix so everything can happen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a Sagan fan, but I remember the comments from last year about how he'd do better if he could just get some better support from his team. I wonder what he's thinking now?

Hoping Sagan wins, but predicting another win for Kristoff.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Spring Classics Thread *****Spoilers***** [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. Kristoff
2. Sagan
3. GvA

WC. Terpstra
WC. Stybar

Thinking Degenkolb or another Lotto Soudal rider could get sneaky and put themselves in a good position again. I don't see Wiggins in the top5 no matter what Sky does. They can't ride GC tactics in this race....I hope anyway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've gotta put Kristoff in there but still don't see him for the win..how many times must I be proven wrong?;)

1. Terpstra
2. Kristoff
3. Boom

WC: Stybar and Tiesj Benoot.

GvA and Vanmarcke... I don't know
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm figuring that Kristoff can't win everything. (Or can he???)

1. Degankolb
2. Terpstra
3. Van Avermaet

I can see Wiggins just riding in a group to a top 10 finish but it would be more fun to see him go for it and try to solo to a win.

NBC Sports will be streaming live so I'm assuming it's Phil and Paul doing the commentary.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Spring Classics Thread *****Spoilers***** [Ken] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some random sh*t.

Kristoff is on fire and will certainly be right there. But another guy who can be right there is Paolini. PR is a power dude's race and riders that will get selected out in hillier courses won't in PR. I think Paolini falls into this category. He goes from the back to the front at will and just looks perfect. Do I have the balls to bet on him? Checking now......

Sep should be there. Terpstra certainly. GvA too.

Devolder has been riding very well.

Wiggo is a mystery. I'm guessing he'll throw down hard, much harder than he has tried so far. He seems to me to be a guy who will focus on one race and when he does, he can do a lot of damage. Swan song, a flair for the dramatic, a race for the power guys. I'd say he's going to be in the mix. Do I have the balls to bet on him? Checking now.....

I want Sagan to be in the velodrome with a chance to win it. I don't see anyone soloing away.

Stybar can ride the rocks and keeps the cadence high and will follow the big move.

Greipel looked massive in Flanders. Will he animate things again?

Who has the most team support? Ettix? Sky? Katusha? I think that's where you find your winner. Or, Sagan cobbles together yet another top 5 following random wheels.

Luck is such a big factor in PR. You stay upright and inflated and don't get caught in a big split and you're there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Outright
5/1
Alexander Kristoff
6/1
Zdenek Stybar
7/1
Niki Terpstra
7/1
Peter Sagan
7/1
Sep Vanmarcke
7/1
Sir Bradley Wiggins
8/1
John Degenkolb
9/1
Geraint Thomas
9/1
Lars Boom
14/1
Greg Van Avermaet
30/1
Ian Stannard
33/1
Daniel Oss
40/1
Andre Greipel
40/1
Arnaud Demare
40/1
Jurgen Roelandts
40/1
Stijn Vandenbergh
50/1
Filippo Pozzato
66/1
Stijn Devolder
70/1
Sylvain Chavanel
80/1
Luca Paolini
100/1
Jens Keukeleire
120/1
Bjorn Leukemans
120/1
Heinrich Haussler
120/1
Sebastian Langeveld
130/1
Matti Breschel
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I never thought I would say this...but I'm rooting for Wiggo. I don't like Sky and I really don't like Wiggo either...but I keep thinking that it would be pretty cool for him to win PR and give a big F U to Sky on the way out.

The best would be if he TTs away from Thomas and the other Skybots and just throws a middle finger up over his shoulder as he drops the bunch.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Spring Classics Thread *****Spoilers***** [Twotter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd love to see Wiggo win in too. I think his only chance is to go long, maybe at Mons-en-Pevele and try to get a small group with him. If it's a bunch of 10 or more coming to Carrefour de l'Arbre they're just not going to give him an inch.

GvA at 30-1 is a great shout, but my money is on Kristoff (again) from a big group roll-in to Roubaix.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Spring Classics Thread *****Spoilers***** [aw3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Roubaix picks:

1: Degenkolb
2: Stybar
3: Wiggo

WC: Terpstra
WC: Kristoff
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Spring Classics Thread *****Spoilers***** [Landyachtz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't' get it how so many hear keep mentioning Wiggins. He has not shown anything in the classics season indicating he has a chance of winning. Say what you want about him 'wanting to win'; there's 100 other guys that want to win too and at least 20 that have been better this entire classics season.

Quote | Reply
Landyachtz wrote:

You're not allowed to pick bona fide contenders as your wildcards! Have some balls. Pozzato, Chavanel, Sagan (allowed here because he's sucked so far).
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Spring Classics Thread *****Spoilers***** [Cobble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cobble wrote:
I don't' get it how so many hear keep mentioning Wiggins. He has not shown anything in the classics season indicating he has a chance of winning. Say what you want about him 'wanting to win'; there's 100 other guys that want to win too and at least 20 that have been better this entire classics season.

Wiggo hasn't ridden a classic for himself, for the win, yet this year other than the TT in De Panne. I think he showed last year that he's capable of making the selection, and I think he's shown at De Panne that he's in form. Roubaix is a crapshoot no matter who you pick, but Wiggo certainly has the horsepower to win this race.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Spring Classics Thread *****Spoilers***** [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Landyachtz wrote:

You're not allowed to pick bona fide contenders as your wildcards! Have some balls. Pozzato, Chavanel, Sagan (allowed here because he's sucked so far).

You don't get to first in the standings by picking long shots ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Landyachtz wrote:
Cobble wrote:

Wiggo hasn't ridden a classic for himself, for the win, yet this year other than the TT in De Panne. I think he showed last year that he's capable of making the selection, and I think he's shown at De Panne that he's in form. Roubaix is a crapshoot no matter who you pick, but Wiggo certainly has the horsepower to win this race.
But he sure sucked at E3 and Gent - Wevelgem. His Tour of Flanders was 'OK' but that's already being generous; it's not like he did a ton of work there.

Quote | Reply
Cobble wrote:
Landyachtz wrote:
Cobble wrote:

But he sure sucked at E3 and Gent - Wevelgem. His Tour of Flanders was 'OK' but that's already being generous; it's not like he did a ton of work there.

He didn't start E3 due to illness and, given the conditions and coming back from illness, I'm not surprised he didn't perform well in G-W. He crashed early in Flanders as well. Lots of factors to consider. Obviously he could easily have bad luck early on at Roubaix and never factor into the race, but I think it would be a mistake to rule him out based on his earlier classics results.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Landyachtz wrote:
Cobble wrote:
Landyachtz wrote:
Cobble wrote:

He didn't start E3 due to illness and, given the conditions and coming back from illness, I'm not surprised he didn't perform well in G-W. He crashed early in Flanders as well. Lots of factors to consider. Obviously he could easily have bad luck early on at Roubaix and never factor into the race, but I think it would be a mistake to rule him out based on his earlier classics results.
87th in Flanders, 44th in Omloop, DNF in G-W and DNS in E3... I just don't get how that deserves so many nominations for the win.

Quote | Reply
I, for one, didn't pick him;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) Stybar
2) Sagan
3) Wiggo

WC: Degenkolb
WC: Vanmarcke

*edited to swap Terpstra for Degenkolb
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: Apr 11, 15 20:16
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Spring Classics Thread *****Spoilers***** [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jeez....how'd I space on Stybar? Revisions upcoming...

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Spring Classics Thread *****Spoilers***** [Cobble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
" I just don't get how that deserves so many nominations for the win."

And he's 7 to 1 with the UK bookies so there's a bunch of UK homer money going on him. And the cameras MAY show some other riders tomorrow on Eurosport. When Sir Brad is pissing or out of the race.

Wiggins was 9th last year of course and he's been racing to build for this. If he has luck, he can be with the final grouping. But I'm not picking him.

If I were putting $10 down on 3 riders they would be: Paolini at 80 to 1, Oss at 33 to 1, and Stannard at 30 to 1.
But I'm not because gambling is a vice.

To just win: Kristoff, Stybar, Terpstra
WC: Sagan, Sep
Quote Reply

Prev Next